[Surly Official] Year One expectations for Steve Sarkisian

immamac

Retain best of existing staff, especially on D to take advantage of the ~2 losses we invested into Ash. Sick of breaking in New DCs only to find they suck in the b12.

Use NFL and Bama contacts to create elite staff. Must replace Herb Hand.

Navigate portal this off season to a net-positive.

Salvage 2022 class. What is it, 35th? Get to top 15 or better. 

Get into B12CG legitimately, not some back door dick tripping. 

Stay sober and don't embarrass the program with antics or fingers or gimmicks. Just be a professional.

1) Win every game in which we’re favored. 

B) No more delay of game/unsportsmanlike/procedure penalties.

3) 10-2

4) Don’t lose to forking TCU

5) Stop the burnt toast/stale biscuits garbage gimmick (was Herman still doing this crap the last couple of seasons? I don’t remember hearing much about it, but of course I just hit middle age so my short term memory sucks)

35 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

1 - Significant special teams improvement

2 - Significant penalty/penalty yardage per game improvement 

3 - I want to see Sark chewing out some Big XII refs on the field with great gusto and multiple expletives. 

Yeah, less penalty yardage would certainly be welcome.

2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

1) Show up with a real staff of great assistant coaches

2) Recruit a few key guys for NSD #2 and fill holes in roster with portal transfers.

3) Recruit like a witch for 2022 and the future.

4) Beat every team on our schedule that has less talent than us.

5) Profit.

Do that and the rest will take care of itself.  

I think he'll do that, and many naysayers will be pleasantly surpirised. HE knows how to get the most out of Robinson and Thompson. Moreso than Herman would have. Think about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, RandomIdoit said:

Herman did all of this and Texas fired his ass. 

When he did that we extended him. He did it once and is being richly financially rewarded for it...well he never went 10-3. He went 9-4. So three out of four. It says a lot about how doable our expectations are that Tom Herman basically won the lottery while losing to Oklahoma State, West Virginia, and Maryland and failed to win the conference. It was ok though, he beat OU.

Beat OU. Win the Big 12.

Just doing one of those in any year will make us all love you like 2018 Tom Herman. Not doing that for a few years will wear out your welcome.

Edited by Valmy77

Stay sober

I figured this would be first on everyone’s list. Are you Horns concerned about his past issues?

I’m sure he’s been properly vetted and that it’s been discussed with him and all, but it’s got to make him an easy target for negative recruiting. Or maybe we’re a forgiving society

I figured this would be first on everyone’s list. Are you Horns concerned about his past issues?

I’m sure he’s been properly vetted and that it’s been discussed with him and all, but it’s got to make him an easy target for negative recruiting. Or maybe we’re a forgiving society
I am of the belief that its unfair to treat his past with alcohol as a moral failing. If anything, he is a stronger, better man because of his battle with addiction and we should hope that strength translates into results.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Congratulations on your new HFC. He seems like a good guy, and if he wins Bama a ring on the way out that's even better. I for one will be pulling for him to do well.

Do y'all think any of the recently signed Texas guys might reconsider with the transfer rule as they are? I don't really see Bryce young going especially if Mac Jones goes to the draft. Young is the only QB on the roster with playing time. He will go into the spring as QB1. Paul Tyson (Bear Bryants great grandson) has a few handoffs. None this year, not sure if he got to throw a pass last season. Although he was a pretty good QB in high school. 

Saban might be looking for a transfer in any case if there's an experienced one out there as an insurance policy.

• Hook 'Em 1

All I'm asking is that, with next year's schedule, after Sarkisian likely wins 9 games.........can we just hold the fuck on with extensions please?  

The guy deserves three seasons.  I'm okay with three seasons.  I think we're all fine with three seasons.  So let him coach those three seasons and evaluate his overall success before you start throwing out multiple extensions, millions more for assistant coaches, etc.  Just hand the fuck on and see how he does.  We just got done paying off Mack Brown and Charlie Strong and we're gonna be paying off Tom Herman for the immediate future it seems.  We do not, contrary to popular belief, have some infinite pool of cash we can just draw off of whenever we feel the need to make coaching changes. 

Just tap the brakes with the handcuffing us to coaches for the better part of a decade with insane extensions and pay increases until we've had more than one conference championship game "appearance."  I know the prevailing wisdom is you gotta lock down a good coach or else he'll go somewhere else.  And who knows the future holds, but I'm damn sure it's not somebody leaving Texas for Clemson or the NFL.  We just don't lose coaches to more prominent positions elsewhere.  We just don't.  Akers, McWilliams, Mackovic, Brown, Strong, Herman, Rick Barnes, Tom Penders...what do they all have in common?  None of them left Texas for a better college gig or the pros.  Think about that CDC. 

No kissing the players, goddammit. And keep shaving.

A team that is prepared to wreak havoc from the opening kickoff of every fucking game. We pound the fuck outta everybody, win or lose.

No sniveling.

Lots of movement in the backfield before the snap. Swing passes. Real screen passes. Plays that work when the chips are down.

No coin toss fuck ups.

A great fucking defense. An even better offense. Running backs that have the pros salivating. A great tight end.

Game by game improvement at the QB position

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It’s too early for me to put in a guess. 

I will have to see through to summer workouts and all the portal activity. 

It's not a prediction thread, these are the standards we're holding him to.

If Sark knows what he's doing he'll work the portal a lot.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

Staff: Strong and Herman failed before they played their first games at Texas. Presumably, this is why we hired Sarkisian so he needs to nail this.

Recruiting: If we lose the top players in the state to OSU and Bama next year, we picked the wrong guy.

Record: Anything less than 10-2 is a disappointment and two losses would depend on context. This isn't a rebuild so we shouldn't see a down year like Stoops had his first season at OU or Saban had at Bama. Great coaches make an immediate impact. Even guys like Osborne who took a long time to win a title won a lot of games immediately. We have talent. It's not Bama/Clemson talent, but it's better than everyone on our schedule next year other than OU.

Adjustments: This really falls at the end of year one. If we underperform in a given area, I want to see an adjustment whether that is adapting scheme to the current players or replacing an assistant. Mack Brown recognized the need for a change, but executed them badly at the end of his tenure. Herman waited too long to replace coaches and still had significant issues on the offensive side (maybe it wasn't the assistants...). Saban is the master of self scouting and making corrections. This, more than any other feature, is what sets him apart. He reacts more strongly to losses, but makes changes even when he's winning. If Sark learned anything from his time with Saban, I hope its this and that we see the same pattern here.

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Impossible to say right now until I see his coaching staff. I think Sarkisian will have this offense humming though. Too much talent, and they will finally be used properly. No more X, H, and Z shit at the WR spot. Josh Moore will be used all over the fucking field, same with Dickson, and likely Whittington and Smith (if he stays). Wiley and Liebrock will be fucking weapons, and it's likely Robinson will get more than 12 touches in the 1st half of the 1st quarter against Louisiana.

Thompson and Card are now on equal footing, unless Bryce Young really transfers in, then it's likely both of those guys are leaving. Charles Wright is likely our McCorkle.

Who's Dickson? Either way I'm excited to see him all over the field

Talked to my brother who a UW alum. He had a lot to say about ‘ol Cutty Sark from his time on the west coast up u til this season. 

one thing he did relay is that all of you people angry UT has a policy against openly cheating are going to be really happy with him.  

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Big_kat said:

Championship game appearance. Also get Ewers back in. 

Evers is gone, time to adjust to that reality.   They are playing for the MNC next week and they will be competing for MNCs for the next sever years at the least, we are still hoping to get back to that level.

Can we get a thread started on rosters of teams wr are playing next year on who is transferring/leaving early?

I know OU has already several declare/transfer, but would be interested to keep up with other teams situations like Arky, TCU, ISU, ect.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

Road games this year @ TCU , @ Iowa State , and @ WVU will be interesting to see how they play out.

Four of the six toughest games are on the road next year - TCU, ISU, WVU, and Arkansas - and of course OU is in Dallas. Only OSU at home. 4-2 in those (though if you beat OU relatively early in the conference schedule expectations start to change) and avoiding an embarrassing loss to the bottom half is a pretty good bar for success I think. That’s 10 regular season wins, almost certainly a trip to Arlington, and enough to sell hope to 2022/23 classes.

Eight wins or less and we done fucked up.
  • Hook 'Em 1

For year 1, I know it'll take some time to install new system and a new QB.  But there's enough talent there to:

• Handily beat any team that doesn't have Oklahoma or Iowa St. in its name.
  • Beat Ok St and Iowa St, in well play games.
  • Play competitive game(s) against 0u.
  • Show improvement all season
  • Top 10 recruiting class

Do that and we should be in a NY6 bowl.  Beyond that is lagniappe for year 1

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, 77horn said:

For year 1, I know it'll take some time to install new system and a new QB.  But there's enough talent there to:

I can get behind this

15 minutes ago, 77horn said:

To add to this...

- Play fundamentally sound football as best we can with a whole new staff, this ties into your improvement all season. 

- Stop committing stupid penalties and greatly reduce the amount of penalties in general. 

- Make competent decisions regarding personnel 

- make competent decisions regarding in game coaching decisions 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

25 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Four of the six toughest games are on the road next year - TCU, ISU, WVU, and Arkansas - and of course OU is in Dallas. Only OSU at home. 4-2 in those (though if you beat OU relatively early in the conference schedule expectations start to change) and avoiding an embarrassing loss to the bottom half is a pretty good bar for success I think. That’s 10 regular season wins, almost certainly a trip to Arlington, and enough to sell hope to 2022/23 classes.

Eight wins or less and we done fucked up.

Schedule is tougher than I thought. A Billy Napier team out the gate and at Arkansas are traps.