[Surly Official] Year One expectations for Steve Sarkisian

immamac

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Holy shit the expectations in this thread are ridiculous. We have some really good talent but we also have a lot of holes on the roster, and a bunch of unknowns. That bowl game made a lot of guys look better than they are, including Casey. 
If he goes 9-3 and recruits lights out it will be a great year, yet y’all will be bitching and moaning because he didn’t meet your dumb expectations. 

The Big 12 is terrible. No reason for Texas not to be in the CCG every year. We were in the CCG 25% of the time under Herman. 

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Holy shit the expectations in this thread are ridiculous. We have some really good talent but we also have a lot of holes on the roster, and a bunch of unknowns. That bowl game made a lot of guys look better than they are, including Casey. 
If he goes 9-3 and recruits lights out it will be a great year, yet y’all will be bitching and moaning because he didn’t meet your dumb expectations. 

I’ll take 9-3. Good recruiting. Competitive in every game - Our 3 losses aren’t because of boneheaded plays, poor scheme or keeping the best players on the bench. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'd probably be good with this if it the decision-making is less mystifying than some of the Herman losses. I just like to aim high.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’ll take 9-3. Good recruiting. Competitive in every game - Our 3 losses aren’t because of boneheaded plays, poor scheme or keeping the best players on the bench. 

If we don’t have boneheaded plays, poor scheme, or keep the best players on the bench, then there’s no excuse for three losses given our schedule next year.

Anyway, gotta beat ou and not ever ever ever lose to fucking tcu again.  

Appearing in the Big 12 championship game is the base minimum expectation every year and you should win it at least half the times you make it.

Fail to make it to Arlington in consecutive years and any coach's seat is gonna start getting warm.

Edited by LonghornSean

Hiring a great staff and recruiting lights out are my only real requirements for year 1. Hiring shit staffs doomed Strong and especially Herman from the start. Do those two things, and I will probably talk myself into being ok with 9 wins and no blow outs. I mean, I guess that would be our second best season in 8 years. Jfc

• Hook 'Em 2

3-0 nonconference (last accomplished in 2012) especially with Arkansas as our "tough" game (ULaLa may actually be better)

Win at least 3 conference games by 17+ points (mensa had 3 of these in 4 years.  Charlie had 6 in 3 years).  Blowouts help with player development and keep backups engaged with the program.

Make the Big 12 CCG

Bijan averages 20 touches per game

Wiley plays more snaps than Brewer

Edited by WBT

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

If we don’t have boneheaded plays, poor scheme, or keep the best players on the bench, then there’s no excuse for three losses given our schedule next year.

Anyway, gotta beat ou and not ever ever ever lose to fucking tcu again.  

We could lose to OU twice. We also have to play in Ames and Morgantown and we do open with ULL

Anything between 9-4 and 12-2 wouldn't surprise me.  We're still the 2nd most talented team in conference, so 2 OU losses are a real possibility.  

You have a new staff coming in and then the possibility of shortened time to implement with COVID issues still in play, could make for some additional challenges.  

We should win 9+ games next year. At the very least look competitive against OU. Going to the CCG doesn’t seem unreasonable. Purdy should be gone, Sanders and Rattler will be challenging but no one else returns a talented, experienced QB unless we consider Duggan to be on Sanders’ level.

Sark and staff needs to talk with players immediately before ex staff and others reach out to players already committed to Texas.  Shore up our recruits and players and then reach out to undeclared.  I think Texas has the veteran leadership to do well next year.  Will be interesting to see if we have a match with qbs for Sarks system.    

Big12 championship and playoff appearance.  I don't give a fuck if you think that's not realistic.  I know what UM would have been able to do with the talent that we saw in the Alamo Bowl and that is on the roster so I won't soften my expectations because our admin had to settle for a coach several steps lower.

1. Dominate OOC games. Beat Arkansas like we did Colorado. Instead of pig sooie we should just hear Texas repeat Bend Over Here It Comes Again and finish the pigs with a Dirty Sanchez.

2. Beat the pooners.

3. Win Big 12

4. Playoff birth.

This is Texas!

I see no reason with a weak non conference schedule ( which helps now)  and with who is coming back , we should not be 12-0 at best 10-2 at worst. With the exception of OU, no one else returns their highlight makers if you want to really call them this.    We return some good solid talent and Sark is not coming to a program that is a total clusterfark record wise.  This isn’t Kansas.  

15 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Big12 championship and playoff appearance.  I don't give a fuck if you think that's not realistic.  I know what UM would have been able to do with the talent that we saw in the Alamo Bowl and that is on the roster so I won't soften my expectations because our admin had to settle for a coach several steps lower.

Pump the brakes on the Alamo hype. The Pac-12 is aaaassssss