[Surly Official] Year One expectations for Steve Sarkisian

immamac

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Holy shit the expectations in this thread are ridiculous. We have some really good talent but we also have a lot of holes on the roster, and a bunch of unknowns. That bowl game made a lot of guys look better than they are, including Casey. 
If he goes 9-3 and recruits lights out it will be a great year, yet y’all will be bitching and moaning because he didn’t meet your dumb expectations. 

I’m sorry- have you liked at the schedule?  If 9-3 is ridiculous it’s you being ridiculous with low expectations being overjoyed with that against this shit schedule. 

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Pump the brakes on the Alamo hype. The Pac-12 is aaaassssss

Yes, I know the PAC sucks.  I don't expect to beat every team we play by 35 points, nor do we need to.  I also didn't say to win the playoffs, just make it.  We saw enough this season though, especially the last couple games, to know that with the right coaches we should be able to win the Big12 with at worst one loss and possibly none.  Our three nonconference oppenents are ass my dude next year too (ULALA, Arky, and Rice) so there's no excuse not to win at least 2 and should be all three of them.  Do those things and we're in the playoffs.  No doubt in my mind UM could win the Big12 next year and run that noncon schedule.  I won't lower my expectations to benefit an underwhelming hire.

2 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Yes, I know the PAC sucks.  I don't expect to beat every team we play by 35 points, nor do we need to.  I also didn't say to win the playoffs, just make it.  We saw enough this season though, especially the last couple games, to know that with the right coaches we should be able to win the Big12 with at worst one loss and possibly none.  Our three nonconference oppenents are ass my dude next year too (ULALA, Arky, and Rice) so there's no excuse not to win at least 2 and should be all three of them.  Do those things and we're in the playoffs.  No doubt in my mind UM could win the Big12 next year and run that noncon schedule.  I won't lower my expectations to benefit an underwhelming hire.

Oh whew, just make the playoff, not win it, as the "meets expectations" bar. Very reasonable.

Long term expectations haven’t changed since I was a student 20+ years ago:

>.750 win pct

>.500 win pct against A&M/OU

Win conference at least once every 4 years

Top 10 recruiting class

Nowadays an added expectation is to make the playoffs, but to me that’s hand in hand with winning the conference.  

College football is changing dramatically and rapidly with the new transfer and name/likeness rules.  A big part of coaching success will be navigating those arenas.

For year 1, all I expect:

>.700 win pct

Play well against OU

Top 10 recruiting class

Dont get raped by the portal and early entries

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Oh whew, just make the playoff, not win it, as the "meets expectations" bar. Very reasonable.

It's about the schedule.  Show me who on next year's schedule has had better overall recruiting classes the last 3 or 4 years.  With the right coaches the talent should prevail.  We've just gotten so pussified by years of underperforming coaches that we can't comprehend the concept of well coached talent consistently beating lesser talent.

• Hook 'Em 2

I expect CDC no only to overpay Sark but also give him a ridiculous unearned extension that he’ll expect someone else to pay for. CDC is the smartest guy in the room making questionable hires with an unlimited checkbook funded by a University drunk on money, what can go wrong?  What have the past few years shown?  
Al hopes he’s wrong.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Holy shit the expectations in this thread are ridiculous. We have some really good talent but we also have a lot of holes on the roster, and a bunch of unknowns. That bowl game made a lot of guys look better than they are, including Casey. 
If he goes 9-3 and recruits lights out it will be a great year, yet y’all will be bitching and moaning because he didn’t meet your dumb expectations. 

stripes lighten GIF

• Like 2

No more catching kickoffs before they go out of bounds, dropping punts, blocked field goals, and for fucks sake hand the ball to bijan 20 times a game with 5 passes at least thrown his way. Fuck wins and losses, just play good football. I’ll walk around looking for aggys to beat the fuck out of if we do those things. Not even sure what that last sentence means but it sounded good in my head. Lol

Fix this.............

Team Big 12
Championships
Years
Oklahoma 14 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Texas 3 1996, 2005, 2009
Baylor 2 2013, 2014
Kansas State 2 2003, 2012
Nebraska* 2 1997, 1999
Colorado* 1 2001
Oklahoma State 1 2011
TCU 1 2014
Texas A&M* 1 1998
Iowa State 0  
Kansas 0  
Missouri* 0  
Texas Tech 0  
West Virginia 0

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 4

9 minutes ago, RandomIdoit said:

Herman did all of this and Texas fired his ass. 

Gotta do 1 and 2 more than 25% of the time. Which means not losing to TCU and ISU as well. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sorry but Strong and Herman exhausted my "rebuilding" patience twice over. We needed a sure thing hire. My expectation is 10+ wins and a B12 champ appearance just like what I would have expected from Herman in year 5. I will be disappointed.

Well, aren’t you a fucking ray of sunshine?

1) Show up with a real staff of great assistant coaches

2) Recruit a few key guys for NSD #2 and fill holes in roster with portal transfers.

3) Recruit like a witch for 2022 and the future.

4) Beat every team on our schedule that has less talent than us.

5) Profit.

Do that and the rest will take care of itself.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1. No more than one missed XP all year. 
2. Zero games kicking off both halves. 
3. Take the RZ FG most of the time in first halves. 
4. Bijan with 15+ touches a game. 
5. Wiley with 5+targets a game. 
6. A 100% stop rate on 3rd and 17+.

7. Proof that from time to time winning is actually sort of easy. 
8. Zero staff members tied to the Briles rape regime. 
9. Zero Sark dirty 6th sightings. 
10. McConaughey buy-in. 
11. Olds complaining about something new at DKR next year. I’m not exempting myself from this. 
12. Pain. 

• Like 1

1. Hire a great staff

2.  Keep the foot on the gas

3.  Play as many young players as u can.  

4.  Have fun, and let players see u having fun.

Do these things and they result in the following:

a. Team chemistry, playing for each other and the coach

b.  Kicking ass of all teams with less talent, just guessing 7-9 teams?

c. Competitive game with OU

d. A never give up attitude among players, which results in very low numbers of opt outs.

If he does these four things to the highest degree possible, I don’t care if he wins 7 games or more.  Win 6 and to me that means he failed at one of the objectives.

Impossible to say right now until I see his coaching staff. I think Sarkisian will have this offense humming though. Too much talent, and they will finally be used properly. No more X, H, and Z shit at the WR spot. Josh Moore will be used all over the fucking field, same with Dickson, and likely Whittington and Smith (if he stays). Wiley and Liebrock will be fucking weapons, and it's likely Robinson will get more than 12 touches in the 1st half of the 1st quarter against Louisiana.

Thompson and Card are now on equal footing, unless Bryce Young really transfers in, then it's likely both of those guys are leaving. Charles Wright is likely our McCorkle.