[Surly Official] Year One expectations for Steve Sarkisian

immamac

30 minutes ago, Texas Flood said:

Schedule is tougher than I thought. A Billy Napier team out the gate and at Arkansas are traps.

Rice is the only gimme OOC.

Sark is gonna need to go 3-0 for me to start drinking the Kool-Aid.

Edited by DFW Horn

Schedule is tougher than I thought. A Billy Napier team out the gate and at Arkansas are traps.

ULL is tougher than your average cupcake for sure. Probably not what Texas had in mind when scheduling. No idea what they lose though. Arkansas is worth mentioning but I’m honestly not terribly concerned. They made some progress this year but they started at rock bottom and have only been able to bring in a couple decent recruiting classes. They’re still going to be a year or or two away from being really competitive. Honestly of all those games Arkansas is definitely the one that losing would be the worst look.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Only thing I've seen regarding numbers is from Bobby this morning:

Wow that's stupid. He's a substance abuser who flamed out and wasnt that great before the flame out who is riding the coat tails as the assistant to the best coach in college football history. That guy needs to prove himself and should come at a significant bargain price to do so. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Four of the six toughest games are on the road next year - TCU, ISU, WVU, and Arkansas - and of course OU is in Dallas. Only OSU at home. 4-2 in those (though if you beat OU relatively early in the conference schedule expectations start to change) and avoiding an embarrassing loss to the bottom half is a pretty good bar for success I think. That’s 10 regular season wins, almost certainly a trip to Arlington, and enough to sell hope to 2022/23 classes.

Eight wins or less and we done fucked up.

Funny thing is if this season was normal schedule Herman probably wins 9-10 games. He won 7 with only 1 OOC game and LSU is trash

• Fuck You 1

Tom Herman would have won 10 games with a normal schedule?  What the fuck are y'all smoking?  He beats Kansas and our other non-conference game.  He doesn't make the conference title game and still wins his bowl game.  He loses @ LSU.  He goes 9-4.  That's it, end of story.  

Funny thing is if this season was normal schedule Herman probably wins 9-10 games. He won 7 with only 1 OOC game and LSU is trash

Yeah this was probably a 10-3 team this year on a full schedule. But that’s underachieving given what the rest of the conference put out there. Specifically OU.

24 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Tom Herman would have won 10 games with a normal schedule?  What the fuck are y'all smoking?  He beats Kansas and our other non-conference game.  He doesn't make the conference title game and still wins his bowl game.  He loses @ LSU.  He goes 9-4.  That's it, end of story.  

Wanker Bob is a pure troll. I have no idea where his rep comes from.

16 hours ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Yes, I know the PAC sucks.  I don't expect to beat every team we play by 35 points, nor do we need to.  I also didn't say to win the playoffs, just make it.  We saw enough this season though, especially the last couple games, to know that with the right coaches we should be able to win the Big12 with at worst one loss and possibly none.  Our three nonconference oppenents are ass my dude next year too (ULALA, Arky, and Rice) so there's no excuse not to win at least 2 and should be all three of them.  Do those things and we're in the playoffs.  No doubt in my mind UM could win the Big12 next year and run that noncon schedule.  I won't lower my expectations to benefit an underwhelming hire.

anyone looking at the last two games as evidence of anything should stop doing that

37 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah this was probably a 10-3 team this year on a full schedule. But that’s underachieving given what the rest of the conference put out there. Specifically OU.

But yet most of you are willing to accept that from the new guy? you could have gotten that from the old one and saved 25 million dollars. 

I think all of you just want to change for the sake of change. When continuity, especially with a young and inexperienced coaching staff, is what allows for development. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 7

Hard W-L criteria and guaranteed wins against your (talent stacked) primary rival are not the best indicators of future success. Player injuries, unforeseen circumstances, bad luck, etc. can skew these outcomes. What matters is the process.

-Hire/retain a competent staff, especially on defense/ST.

-Get on the recruiting trail and set us up for a top 10 class in 2022.

-Eliminate idiotic penalties and dumb play on the field.

-No blowout losses.

-Place the best players on the field and play to win until game clock expires, or you’re up 5 TDs.

-Emphasize the importance of the RRS and conference championship games.

If he hits these wickets, the rest will sort itself out.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

He wouldn’t have lost at LSU this year. That’s fucking stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Well he ain’t the coach and we ain’t playing LSU so who gives a shit?   Was just commenting to a previous post about how we might have done in another life.  Who cares?  The toxic piece of shit Herman is gone forever.  Hope Sarkisian does well

Edited by Lobo

But yet most of you are willing to accept that from the new guy? you could have gotten that from the old one and saved 25 million dollars. 
I think all of you just want to change for the sake of change. When continuity, especially with a young and inexperienced coaching staff, is what allows for development. 

I don’t think 10-3 would be underachieving next year given what Texas and the rest of the conference brings back. The team obviously underachieved the past two seasons, the development you mention was essentially nonexistent on one side of the ball, and recruiting was drying up.
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

What matters is the process.

-Hire/retain a competent staff, especially on defense/ST.

-Get on the recruiting trail and set us up for a top 10 class in 2022.

-Eliminate idiotic penalties and dumb play on the field.

Stolen and shortened up.   Herman got the can because the top recruits were headed the wrong direction.   That's job one.   Job two is fucking coach them.

Realistic is 8-4, 3rd place in Big 12 and win the Alamo Bowl, top 10 recruiting class, beat OU and A&M in Texas recruiting.  Get one of the top two players in Texas and 2 or 3 of the top 10.

Now if it were a good coach instead of Sark, I would say realistic is 9-3 and at least appear in the Big 12 title game and get 3 of the top 10 in Texas recruiting.  But we have the 2nd coming of Mackovic.

If Alabama's offense sputters against Ohio St., it that soon enough to start a fire Sark thread?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I watched Sark for 5 years at UDub.  He always seemed to beat U$C and lose by 30 to Arizona.  

So I'm pretty confident that he'll beat OU, but K-State will kick the shit out of us.

Why I don't have very high "realistic" expectations.  We traded an Akers or Hermann for a Mackovic.

1 hour ago, Hurtlocker said:

Stolen and shortened up.   Herman got the can because the top recruits were headed the wrong direction.   That's job one.   Job two is fucking coach them.

We have to understand why.  Was it because of all the rumors from the beginning of the season that he was gone at the end?  We got soundly whipped in Texas recruiting by OU this year.  That hasn't happened in a while.  OU whipped Jimbo as well.  Or was it simply because we weren't winning titles?

How do you fix either of those when Sark is going to Sark and Texas BMDs are going to Texas BMD?

Or was recruiting simply a problem with Hermann's process or simply Hermann's process under Covid?  He's not the type of coach who will get a TV job while he's on our payroll like Mack did.  He is pretty boring on LHN.  So I can't imagine recruiting by Zoom was his strong point.

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

He wouldn’t have lost at LSU this year. That’s fucking stupid. 

Yes, LSU was clearly worse than 2017-2018 Maryland.  Or 2020 Tech and TCU.  It would have been a 1 score game and a coin flip as to who won it.

Edited by WBT

16 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

1. Hire a great staff

2.  Keep the foot on the gas

3.  Play as many young players as u can.  

4.  Have fun, and let players see u having fun.

Do these things and they result in the following:

a. Team chemistry, playing for each other and the coach

b.  Kicking ass of all teams with less talent, just guessing 7-9 teams?

c. Competitive game with OU

d. A never give up attitude among players, which results in very low numbers of opt outs.

If he does these four things to the highest degree possible, I don’t care if he wins 7 games or more.  Win 6 and to me that means he failed at one of the objectives.

There's a lot of bs on this board (not picking on this post in particular).  But this year's team never gave up.  It was 2005-2009 and pre McWilliams type never give up attitude.  Hermann had this team believing they could win every game no matter what the score was.  That was lacking from the mid 80s until 2005 and from 2010 until this year.

14 minutes ago, bullet said:

TCU and ISU have the best coaches in the conference.  At least Snyder is finally retired.

OU has the best coach in the conferemce, but even if you're right, it doesn't change the expectation that Texas should be consistently beating the best coaches in the conference.  Every single year.

This thread is about expectations.  Those are the expectations.  If those are not "realistic expectations" then we hired the wrong guy.

23 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Beat OU.

Make it to the Big 12 championship game.

Those should be the expectations for any coach, every year.

I never believed that Texas Basketball would be closer to performing the daily double before football this past 10 years.  Last time football did it was 2009.  

How about we actually go 1-0 the first two years? The 1-0 LLC Culture bullshit is dead when you lose the first two games of each season to fucking Maryland.

1-0 like you mean it. Winning is not really really hard. Just win, baby. 

No excuses, no blaming the message boards. Go out there and put the ball in the hands of the best players. 

12 hours ago, Lobo said:

LSU was a disaster early in the year.  we would have beat LSU.  He would have gone 10-3.  He can't beat Riley, Patterson, and is a coin flip against Gundy and Campbell.

Arkansas has a decent staff but Sark needs to pound ULL and beat Ark with this roster and with the portal he can improve his roster if he is the witch everyone says he is.

• Hook 'Em 1