USMNT 2021

Napoleon

In an effort to start of the 2021 thread with something relevant, here is SBI's... 

BEST XI of 2020 Americans Abroad

2020-SBI-Americans-Abroad-Best-XI-A.png

I find that Chris Richards' VERY limited play putting him above Matt Miazga just because he will soon be a Bayern regular is a little "Judging the past by looking forward", but that's okay.

The link: https://sbisoccer.com/2021/01/mckennie-reyna-and-the-americans-abroad-best-xi-for-2020

And while using the past to looking forward, here is...
Goal.com's list of "Top 100 Americans in the 2022 World Cup player pool" (from October 25th, 2020.)

First 20 names and then the link:
1. Christian Pulisic (Chelsea)
2. Weston McKennie (Juventus)
3. Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig)
4. Sergiño Dest (Barcelona)
5. Giovanni Reyna (Borussia Dortmund)
6. John Brooks (Wolfsburg)
7. Zach Steffen (Manchester City)
8. Reggie Cannon (Boavista)
9. Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders)
10. Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen)
11. Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC)
12. Chris Richards (Bayern Munich)
13. Brenden Aaronson (RB Salzburg)
14. DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United)
15. Timothy Weah (Lille)
16. Miles Robinson (Atlanta United)
17. Aaron Long (NY Red Bulls)
18. Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas)
19. Matt Miazga (Anderlecht... on loan from Chelsea)
20. Paul Arriola (DC United)

https://www.goal.com/en-us/lists/usmnt-top-50-americans-in-the-2022-world-cup-player-pool/461pfr5dkbk11snj50dx47jv5#uoass7a4d6301thxy4hzylqrx

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

In an effort to start of the 2021 thread with something relevant, here is SBI's... 

I find that Chris Richards' VERY limited play putting him above Matt Miazga just because he will soon be a Bayern regular is a little "Judging the past by looking forward", but that's okay.

The link: https://sbisoccer.com/2021/01/mckennie-reyna-and-the-americans-abroad-best-xi-for-2020

Goal.com's list of "Top 100 Americans in the 2022 World Cup player pool" (from October 25th, 2020.)

15. Timothy Weah (Lille)

https://www.goal.com/en-us/lists/usmnt-top-50-americans-in-the-2022-world-cup-player-pool/461pfr5dkbk11snj50dx47jv5#uoass7a4d6301thxy4hzylqrx

I'd swap Green and Reyna position wise.  Slide Weah into RW.  Put Green on the bench.  Weah is in form right now and is finally getting play time.  Hopefully he can continue to get play time and somehow drive Lille to a Ligue 1 title when they come back from Winter Break.  I don't love Sargent at Striker.  I know he starts for Werder and that he does not have great service.  Even with the terrible service I'm surprised he doesn't score or assist more.  I'm hoping Gnocchi or Soto can develop more.  Or that Sargent can take some steps forward.  Sargent does have 18% goal participation according to transfermarkt when playing for Werder so maybe I'm being a little too harsh.  Either way I think qualifiers will clarify who is the clear #9 for the USMNT.  For all we know, it might end up being Soto, Gnocchi, or in a dream scenario we get Folarin Balogun to join us.        

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

15. Timothy Weah (Lille)

Reyna is not our 5th best player lmfao. I'd put him right up there with Pulisic.

In other news - Steffen in goal for City today against Chelsea 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

...In other news - Steffen in goal for City today against Chelsea 

Picking up the back pass wasn't his finest moment.

The ball is just now getting cleared out after a free kick and two corners due to his mistake inside of 6 minutes.

19 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Picking up the back pass wasn't his finest moment.

The ball is just now getting cleared out after a free kick and two corners due to his mistake inside of 6 minutes.

Don't worry he has yet to be tested. Perfect opponent for his debut. Chelsea is a trainwreck.

okay, here we are in a qualification year.   with the talent we have now qualification *should* be a walk.  pending an analysis of fifa dates against the concacaf qualification schedule, in the past i would have expected plenty of bumblefuckery with rosters, leaving Top Men in europe in order to use exhibition (mls) players in lieu of bringing over the full complement 72 hours in advance of every game and keeping them together for every game.  full internationals are rare and precious commodities and building a program, style, roster and strategy for a world cup has only been done twice in qualifications, by Bruce in 00/01 and Juergen in 12/13, and the results showed.  but each time it was a boot-strapped seat-of-the-pants effort with very little organizational/staff support.  as an example, the identification of passport-players in europe and south america was a reactive, and not a proactive process that took much longer than it does today; we'll come back to that.

the program and roster must be constructed in advance of the draw, and the US has never had the luxury of the current level of talent available for this process.  juergen would be salivating at this opportunity, and beerholder has zero experience that would indicate he is prepared for this challenge.   however, the setup with the federation has changed.

before discussing the players and strategy we will review those changes and what they possibly mean.

more to follow....

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Reyna is not our 5th best player lmfao. I'd put him right up there with Pulisic.

In other news - Steffen in goal for City today against Chelsea 

Based on transfer value Reyna is our second best player no question.  Also I think we end up getting Musah to decide in time for qualifiers.  The start of the vid shows him in a USMNT uni for his year in review.  I expect him to do a big media announcement like Dest did.  He's probably just waiting for the time when he can do it to maximize the hype.      

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJeU_f3p1Tm/?igshid=2zxfj6qc6h1g

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I think he'd go for more than Pulisic right now, tbh. That could obviously change, though.

Yeah transfermarkit values him at $33 million usd but I would expect him to sell for around 60-80 million euros given his age, potential, and length on his contract remaining.  

3 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

Yeah transfermarkit values him at $33 million usd but I would expect him to sell for around 60-80 million euros given his age, potential, and length on his contract remaining.  

He just turned 18 and he's one of the best players on one of the best teams in the BL. He will go for AT LEAST what Pulisic did to Chelsea.

9 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yeah.  Let me try again.  If a must-win game was on the horizon, which MLS players would break the lineup posted above?  I've only got Altidore or Morris replacing Sargent.  For those that have been keeping up, are there any others?

wut?

CONCACAF or not, If we're in a must win game, not a single MLS player should be in the starting lineup.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

wut?

CONCACAF or not, If we're in a must win game, not a single MLS player should be in the starting lineup.

Exactly I'm still convinced Sargent is a better player than Morris rn even with the lack of production this season. 

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

wut?

Oh I completely agree.  Just trying not to ramp up my expectations to see Nipple, Altidore, perhaps even Bradley suiting up for the next big game.

36 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Oh I completely agree.  Just trying not to ramp up my expectations to see Nipple, Altidore, perhaps even Bradley suiting up for the next big game.

IMHO that's a completely different thing. Our puppet of a coach and "the cabal" absolutely will ram MLS guys on the field when they can. That doesn't mean they deserve or have earned the spot. If we had a real coach, I would have pretty much called playing MLS players in a must win game a fireable offense on the spot (like come out of the booth and fire him before the opening whistle).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Forget Sargent I'd rather have Weah than Morris or Jozy. 

I haven't seen Weah play as a CF/ST even though that's his natural position apparently.  You think he would be a better CF/ST than Sargent?  Weah does seem like he would have more pace.   

4 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

I haven't seen Weah play as a CF/ST even though that's his natural position apparently.  You think he would be a better CF/ST than Sargent?  Weah does seem like he would have more pace.   

No I'm saying I'd rather see Weah play ST for us over those guys much less Sargent.

• Like 1

stop sending our best players overseas to play

african american kids cant get invested in soccer when the players that look like them play their games while america is in the middle of the night

stay in the mls & create a homegrown superstar that black kids can look up to its the only way usmnt becomes a powerhouse

atl united has done it the right way by investing in the hoods/ghettos/urban/inner city kids with rappers & free programs 

Edited by immamac
Taking a vacation
  • Fuck You 12

Garbage.

Ignoring the racial(-ist?) aspect of your post ...

If our players want to become the best they can be, their best move it to play in Europe. The MLS academies produce some talent, but the academies hit their ceiling pretty quick and the result is players no longer developing and just plateauing or their development slowing greatly.

Helobious asked it here last year:

And the general answer, IMHO, isn't that we aren't churning out talent, because you just need to see the US players that are available to see we are doing that. It's that the MLS teams/academies don't maximize the talent of the players we are producing. They certainly can't do it as quickly as they should.

Jordan Morris is a perfect example of this. He had the chance to go to Europe 5 years ago (at age 21). He was talked about as one of the top 2-3 talents of the USMNT back then. Instead he stayed in the MLS and while he continues to make the lists of top players for the US, he is getting passed by, now outside our top 10. I think it's a testament to his talent to remain as high as he is, BUT he doesn't face the type of competition day in, day out which would force him to become better.

The MLS continues to improve and will get better at this. But for the foreseeable future, our players should move to Europe if they want to maximize their talent, and frankly their money too (just compare Morris's and Reyna's contracts).

EDIT - one last thing. The top leagues are not on in the "middle of the night". They are all in Europe and play on Saturday/Sunday mornings into the early afternoon. They are an easy watch.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

There's also a huge cultural difference between the MLS and Europe.  (I know most of y'all already know this.)  You bust your ass 24/7 over there.  There are always games.  And, there's always several players both behind and beside (transfers) you that will take your spot the second you ease up.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, now we're turning into an echo chamber, but ...

41 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

There's also a huge cultural difference between the MLS and Europe.  (I know most of y'all already know this.)  You bust your ass 24/7 over there.  There are always games.  And, there's always several players both behind and beside (transfers) you that will take your spot the second you ease up.  

All of this. Especially the last part.

The amount of talent is overflowing in Europe. There are always guys that can take a your job. If you aren't busting your butt to say ahead of them, you're falling behind (same as the NBA, NFL, MLB in the US). It keeps you sharp and gets you better. And with all the games, they are going to have a chance to showcase their ability and earn a chance to get more time, ahead of you.

In the MLS, a guy like Morris has no peers, certainly not on his team. It's why he hasn't developed as quickly, because he isn't playing like talent day in, day out.

Like you've said -we all know the situation.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here's a question - do you think Morris makes the jump to Europe now? There is chatter about it on The Athletic.

https://theathletic.com/2255146/2020/12/11/dissecting-jordan-morris-transfer-value-and-where-he-might-go/

Some choice clips and my thoughts:

Morris moving to Europe involves more than just the player’s desire to do so, however. And it raises an important question: What’s the value of an MLS player in his prime?

It is impossible to ignore the rising value of American players. One only needs to turn on the Champions League to see why. A record eight Americans will play in the knockout stage of Europe’s biggest club competition. That includes some of the USMNT’s most important starters: Weston McKennie at Juventus, Christian Pulisic at Chelsea, Tyler Adams at RB Leipzig, Sergiño Dest at Barcelona and Dortmund’s Gio Reyna.

But a common theme in the players succeeding overseas is their young age. Davies and Richards are 20. Reyna is 18. McKennie is 22. Yes, there is a greater interest in MLS talent, but much of that interest is focused on players still in the developmental phase of their careers.

Morris, however, is 26 years old and playing the best soccer of his career.

I don't think the question is could he make an immediate impact, the questions are:

A. Would he land on a team that he can make an immediate impact? On a top club, I'm not sure he does that, on a lower run team like, I think he can/does (see Dempsey at Fulham).

B. Does he have the drive to continue to improve? It's one thing to improve in the MLS when your job is secure. To do it when a slip can can you .... /shrug

C. How much more untapped potential does he have? In Morris right now I see just a guy for the EPL. But can he be a lot more?

“The game has slowed down for him,” former Sounders star and broadcaster Steve Zakuani said. “When he’s one-on-one with the goalkeeper now, I think he is going to score. Before, I was not sure. He knows how to pick his spot. He’s confident. … He’s one of the best players in the league.”

That's great. But he's now 26. Would that have happened at 22 or 23 in Germany? Hell, does a Jordan Morris with 2 years in the Bundisliga under his belt find himself on the field Oct 10th, 2017?

• Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

african american kids cant get invested in soccer when the players that look like them play their games while america is in the middle of the night

stay in the mls & create a homegrown superstar that black kids can look up to its the only way usmnt becomes a powerhouse

atl united has done it the right way by investing in the hoods/ghettos/urban/inner city kids with rappers & free programs 

Someone tell this petulant clown half of our fucking team is black.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

what you have written about retention of the top talent is noble, and totally impossible unless the franchise fee single-entity ponzi scheme has a one-time true-up and funds distribution that today would total at least $1 billion, followed by a move to global soccer economics (both wages and paper), dissolution of single-entity and institution of promo/rel, combining to convert the league from an exhibition in to an actual competition.

however, "rappers and free programs" will do fuckall to create the transcendent african-american soccer superstar.

"a rookie in soccer is 18"

- j. goppingen

Altidore headlines call-ups for USMNT's January training camp

jozy-altidore-061614-ap-ftrjpg_dwo8qzmsd

• carlisle_jeff_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=cr
    Jeff CarlisleU.S. soccer correspondent

Jozy Altidore, Jordan Morris and Walker Zimmerman are among the United States men's national team players who will take part in the annual January camp at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, U.S. Soccer announced on Tuesday.

The camp, set to begin on Jan. 9, will be comprised of two rosters, with 12 players gathering under U.S. manager Gregg Berhalter and another 26 Olympic-eligible players looking to impress U.S. Under-23 manager Jason Kreis. The senior team group, all of whom are aged 24 and older, will train alongside the U23s through Jan. 24, at which point several U23 players will be elevated to the full national team roster in advance of a planned match at the end of the month. One report has the U.S. facing Serbia in Orlando on Jan. 31.

The U.S. is looking at a packed schedule in 2021, with Olympic qualifying, the finals of the CONCACAF Nations League, the CONCACAF Gold Cup and World Cup qualifying all on the calendar. The camp will give Berhalter and Kreis an extended period to look at their respective players and gauge the depth of the player pool.

"This is an important year for our national team programs, and we are looking to maximize every possible opportunity," Berhalter said. "For the senior team players, this is an opportunity to continue to develop as a group and build on the foundation of a busy and challenging year. Being alongside our U23 team gives that group a chance to prepare for Olympic qualifying while further integrating into our culture and game model."

The group of senior players is headlined by Toronto FC striker Altidore, Seattle Sounders FC winger Morris and reigning MLS Defender of the Year Zimmerman of Nashville SC. Altidore is the most-capped player in the senior group with 115 national team appearances. The roster also contains two uncapped players in New England Revolution goalkeeper Matt Turner and LAFC defender Tristan Blackmon.

The camp for the U23s marks the first get-together since the suspension of the CONCACAF U23 Olympic qualifying tournament last March due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The tournament is expected to be rescheduled for this March, making it likely that this camp will be the final time that Kreis will be able to assess his group of players.

"With Olympic qualifying approaching quickly, this training camp is a great opportunity to prepare ourselves and evaluate some new faces," Kreis said. "While 2020 was a very challenging year, it was impressive to see so many U23-eligible players make major strides on the field. Some of them have been involved with the senior team over the last few months and it's exciting to now get our players and staff back together in camp alongside Gregg and his group as we prepare for a very important qualifying tournament."

Of the 26 U23 players brought in, eight of them -- defenders Julian Araujo, Miles Robinson and Sam Vines, midfielder Jackson Yueill and forwards Jeremy Ebobisse, Jesus Ferreira, Jonathan Lewis and Djordje Mihailovic -- have been capped at senior level.

USMNT DETAILED ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; Caps/Goals):

GOALKEEPERS (2): 
Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 9/0),
Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (3): 
Tristan Blackmon (LAFC; 0/0), 
Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 18/3),
Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 13/2)

MIDFIELDERS (3): 
Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 24/2), 
Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 17/4), 
Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 19/0)

FORWARDS (4): 
Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 115/42), 
Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 34/6),
Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 39/10), 
Chris Mueller (Orlando City SC; 1/2)

Under-23 USMNT DETAILED ROSTER BY POSITION (Club):

GOALKEEPERS (3): 
JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes), 
David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake),
Brady Scott (Austin FC)

DEFENDERS (10): 
Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy), 
George Bello (Atlanta United FC),
Chris Gloster (PSV Eindhoven/NED), 
Aaron Herrera (Real Salt Lake), 
Aboubacar Keita (Columbus Crew SC), 
Henry Kessler (New England Revolution), 
Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire), 
Bryan Reynolds (FC Dallas),
Miles Robinson (Atlanta United FC),
Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids)

MIDFIELDERS (6): 
Hassani Dotson (Minnesota United FC),
Bryang Kayo (Wolfsburg/GER), 
Andres Perea (Orlando City SC), 
Tanner Tessmann (FC Dallas), 
Eryk Williamson (Portland Timbers),
Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes)

FORWARDS (7): 
Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes), 
Daryl Dike (Orlando City SC),
Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers), 
Jesus Ferreira (FC Dallas),
Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids), 
Benji Michel (Orlando City SC),
Djordje Mihailovic (Montreal Impact/CAN)

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4280417/altidore-headlines-call-ups-for-usmnts-january-training-camp

10 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Altidore headlines call-ups for USMNT's January training camp

jozy-altidore-061614-ap-ftrjpg_dwo8qzmsd

• carlisle_jeff_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=cr
    Jeff CarlisleU.S. soccer correspondent

Jozy Altidore, Jordan Morris and Walker Zimmerman are among the United States men's national team players who will take part in the annual January camp at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, U.S. Soccer announced on Tuesday.

The camp, set to begin on Jan. 9, will be comprised of two rosters, with 12 players gathering under U.S. manager Gregg Berhalter and another 26 Olympic-eligible players looking to impress U.S. Under-23 manager Jason Kreis. The senior team group, all of whom are aged 24 and older, will train alongside the U23s through Jan. 24, at which point several U23 players will be elevated to the full national team roster in advance of a planned match at the end of the month. One report has the U.S. facing Serbia in Orlando on Jan. 31.

The U.S. is looking at a packed schedule in 2021, with Olympic qualifying, the finals of the CONCACAF Nations League, the CONCACAF Gold Cup and World Cup qualifying all on the calendar. The camp will give Berhalter and Kreis an extended period to look at their respective players and gauge the depth of the player pool.

"This is an important year for our national team programs, and we are looking to maximize every possible opportunity," Berhalter said. "For the senior team players, this is an opportunity to continue to develop as a group and build on the foundation of a busy and challenging year. Being alongside our U23 team gives that group a chance to prepare for Olympic qualifying while further integrating into our culture and game model."

The group of senior players is headlined by Toronto FC striker Altidore, Seattle Sounders FC winger Morris and reigning MLS Defender of the Year Zimmerman of Nashville SC. Altidore is the most-capped player in the senior group with 115 national team appearances. The roster also contains two uncapped players in New England Revolution goalkeeper Matt Turner and LAFC defender Tristan Blackmon.

The camp for the U23s marks the first get-together since the suspension of the CONCACAF U23 Olympic qualifying tournament last March due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The tournament is expected to be rescheduled for this March, making it likely that this camp will be the final time that Kreis will be able to assess his group of players.

"With Olympic qualifying approaching quickly, this training camp is a great opportunity to prepare ourselves and evaluate some new faces," Kreis said. "While 2020 was a very challenging year, it was impressive to see so many U23-eligible players make major strides on the field. Some of them have been involved with the senior team over the last few months and it's exciting to now get our players and staff back together in camp alongside Gregg and his group as we prepare for a very important qualifying tournament."

Of the 26 U23 players brought in, eight of them -- defenders Julian Araujo, Miles Robinson and Sam Vines, midfielder Jackson Yueill and forwards Jeremy Ebobisse, Jesus Ferreira, Jonathan Lewis and Djordje Mihailovic -- have been capped at senior level.

USMNT DETAILED ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; Caps/Goals):

GOALKEEPERS (2): 
Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 9/0),
Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (3): 
Tristan Blackmon (LAFC; 0/0), 
Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 18/3),
Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 13/2)

MIDFIELDERS (3): 
Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 24/2), 
Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 17/4), 
Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 19/0)

FORWARDS (4): 
Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 115/42), 
Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 34/6),
Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 39/10), 
Chris Mueller (Orlando City SC; 1/2)

Under-23 USMNT DETAILED ROSTER BY POSITION (Club):

GOALKEEPERS (3): 
JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes), 
David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake),
Brady Scott (Austin FC)

DEFENDERS (10): 
Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy), 
George Bello (Atlanta United FC),
Chris Gloster (PSV Eindhoven/NED), 
Aaron Herrera (Real Salt Lake), 
Aboubacar Keita (Columbus Crew SC), 
Henry Kessler (New England Revolution), 
Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire), 
Bryan Reynolds (FC Dallas),
Miles Robinson (Atlanta United FC),
Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids)

MIDFIELDERS (6): 
Hassani Dotson (Minnesota United FC),
Bryang Kayo (Wolfsburg/GER), 
Andres Perea (Orlando City SC), 
Tanner Tessmann (FC Dallas), 
Eryk Williamson (Portland Timbers),
Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes)

FORWARDS (7): 
Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes), 
Daryl Dike (Orlando City SC),
Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers), 
Jesus Ferreira (FC Dallas),
Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids), 
Benji Michel (Orlando City SC),
Djordje Mihailovic (Montreal Impact/CAN)

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4280417/altidore-headlines-call-ups-for-usmnts-january-training-camp

I don't like this. I don't like this at all.

Please don't be a huge fucking moron about the roster after this, Gerg.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't like this. I don't like this at all.

Please don't be a huge fucking moron about the roster after this, Gerg.

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

surely jozy was called up to make #s .... ?

What I would like to do 3G Beerholder right now...

relentless rage - GIF on Imgur

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

surely jozy was called up to make #s .... ?

I mean, he's trying to get guys to have a full training camp that aren't playing abroad. So the "roster" makes sense. What concerns me is that those guys are going to get to spend time around him and that might convince him that they deserve a look/caps moving forward. I'd really be fine if none of the senior guys attending that camp play a game for us again. Maybe on the 2 or 3 deep for guys like Morris or Zimmerman.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, alincoln said:

Jozy isn't there just to make numbers.  Berhalter is trying to find the ST for this team and has no idea who it is.

You mean find a starting forward among the MLS crop, right? The MNT already has their senior MNT forwards as far as Surly is concerned (Sargent and Weah).

21 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

You mean find a starting forward among the MLS crop, right? The MNT already has their senior MNT forwards as far as Surly is concerned (Sargent and Weah).

The collective wisdom of surly is irrelevant to Berhalter.  Weah now plays on the wing for Lille where he is far more effective.  Sargent has scored 1 league goal this season and 3 since October 2019.  He has had more yellow cards than goals during that period.  CF is completely up for grabs on this team.  

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Can we not just put Reyna up there?

Every option should be on the table at this point.  Are we really going to play a 4-3-3 in the World Cup? Seems like we need more protection for our CBs against good teams than a  4-2-3-1 would provide.  Put Adams and McKennie behind Reyna, Pulisic and Weah wide and someone with a pulse at the 9.

5 hours ago, alincoln said:

The collective wisdom of surly is irrelevant to Berhalter.  Weah now plays on the wing for Lille where he is far more effective.  Sargent has scored 1 league goal this season and 3 since October 2019.  He has had more yellow cards than goals during that period.  CF is completely up for grabs on this team.  

Greg just needs to convince Balogun that starting for the USMNT is better than backing up Harry Kane for the next five years.  Then all of our problems are solved. 

39 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Greg just needs to convince Balogun that starting for the USMNT is better than backing up Harry Kane for the next five years.  Then all of our problems are solved. 

Balogun probably isn't even backing up Kane any time soon tbh.  There's Vardy, Sterling, Ings, Rashford, Greenwood, and others who would start or backup Kane before him.