USMNT 2021

Napoleon

5 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

soto has yet to make the squad since his norwich recall

That seems like a Norwich City problem (it seems they have three forwards ahead of him) and not a Sebastian Soto problem. There is absolutely no question that he made the most of his time at SC Telstar. 

I want him to get significant minutes for our Olympic squad. I don't want to lose to him to the likes of Chile. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Tex48 said:

I could have posted this in the MLS thread but I expect him to pop off this year and then make a move to an European league.

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

...we need him to continue to improve to strengthen our MNT striker pool. 

Ricardo Pepe is breathing down Jesús Ferreira’s neck for both club & country. 

Hopefully the US Olympic & National teams are the beneficiaries of their pushing each other for playing time. 

18 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

GKs: I am interested to see how Klinsmann's boy does - not sure how much he will feature.

Defenders: Chris Gloster and Bryan Reynolds need to see heavy minutes (duh!). I want to see if Sam Vines is truly an option at LB for the MNT. I also want to see if the George Bello hype is substantiated.

Midfielders:  Brenden Aaronson and Johnny Cardoso are the automatic picks here (duh!). Efrain Alvarez has a better path to international play with Mexico. I wouldn't mind seeing Djordje Mihailovic getting some burn.

Forwards: I feel that there is serious depth here. I think Konrad de la Fuente needs to start. I would like to see Sebastian Soto get a lot of minutes. You can't go wrong with Ulysses Llanez. Jesus Ferreira is solid, too.

I know he's already senior MNT material, but I was wondering whether or not Yunus Musah should have received an invitation to show US Soccer's continued interest in him and maybe have him train/play with other guys that are in the senior MNT pool. But he might be better served staying with Valencia. I dunno, what do y'all think?

Coincidentally, the qualifying tournament works out where most important game is first.

US v. Costa Rica. 3/18.  Combine this with first weekend of March Madness and March really is like Christmas. 

Top two qualify for Olympics.  US, CRC and Mexico in same bracket (A) with Dominican Republic.

A1 v B2

B1 v A2

Finalists qualify.

Bracket B has Honduras, Canada, El Salvador and Haiti.

If US finishes second then will have to beat first place, likely Honduras.  Honduras has qualified last several times and beat US 2-0 last time.

Report is that 25 will be called on 3/1 to have camp in Mexico.  Not sure who'd I start that first game, but I fully expect Aaronson to stay in Europe.

I saw the US v Columbia OQ playoff in 2016 and Colombia's athleticism and size crushed a young and naive US team.  Score was only 2-1 (OG for US score) but Colombia dominated.  US had Miazga, Arriola and Morris start.  Horvath, Acosta and Trapp played full game.  US team is way more experienced this time as almost are regular players in MLS. 

40 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

If this materializes, is this good, bad, or neutral for Reyna? I just want the man to keep getting minutes in important matches.

https://www.90min.com/posts/exclusive-manchester-city-double-swoop-erling-haaland-giovanni-reyna-transfer

Better be WAY in excess of that. Haaland alone is worth £100.

I also don't know if it would be a good deal of Reyna. His PT would go way down on that team.

I also don't know if it would be a good deal of Reyna. His PT would go way down on that team.

Reyna is valued around $35 and Dortmund aren’t selling him at a low value. If City pays that for him I would assume he is in their immediate plans or at least like his current role with Dortmund which has decreased under the new coach. I’m assuming that would cost them at least 150.

3 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

If this materializes, is this good, bad, or neutral for Reyna? I just want the man to keep getting minutes in important matches.

https://www.90min.com/posts/exclusive-manchester-city-double-swoop-erling-haaland-giovanni-reyna-transfer

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

37 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Reyna is valued around $35 and Dortmund aren’t selling him at a low value. If City pays that for him I would assume he is in their immediate plans or at least like his current role with Dortmund which has decreased under the new coach. I’m assuming that would cost them at least 150.

Reyna's playing time would go down a bit, but he would be coming in as Kevin de Bruyne's longterm replacement in my opinion.

KdB turns 30 in June. He didn't even get into today's match verses Monaco, for some reason, but did make the 18-man squad. My guess is that Pep will lighten KdB's load over the coming season or two and with a million matches on Citeh's slate, Gio would get a multitude of run-outs on the pitch.*

*I tried to sound as British as I possibly could in that 

I don't know what Haaland's release clause is, but I don't think that you have to pay more than the release clause, you just have to meet that demand and agree to terms with the player's agent... I stand corrected. From just 2 days ago we have this from CBS Sports:

team logo

Details on Haaland's release clause

Despite the conflicting rumors, Borussia Dortmund have privately let it be known that Erling Haaland's release clause will only be valid starting June 2022, at a price point of €75 million (roughly $91 million). Whichever club chooses to make a bid for the 20-year-old Norwegian this summer will have to open negotiations with Borussia Dortmund as well as with the star striker and his agent Mino Raiola. If that comes to fruition, we're looking at one of the most exciting races of recent years involving European giants. You're looking at clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona, the top English clubs, and even Juventus all after Haaland's services. But still, no decision has yet been made on whether Borussia Dortmund, currently sixth in the Bundesliga table, will accept any bids this summer or wait until the summer of 2022, and much will depend on whether the club can qualify for the Champions League next season, along with, obviously, the price tag.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/here-we-go-erling-haaland-release-clause-details-inside-psg-kylian-mbappe-contract-talks-more/

MY OPINION: No way is Haaland moving this summer for less than €100M and I would think that it would be closer to €200M than €100M.

From the first page of Google generated links when entering "Giovanni Reyna BvB Release Clause"...

I can't find any specific Euro Amount for the release clause on the contract that Gio Reyna signed this past November, but I'm sure that it was a bump from what it was. I would think that it is in the €65M range off of what Pulisic went for pre-COVID and how young Reyna still is, but that's just a random guess from someone sitting at his computer in Texas.

SIDE NOTE: Too bad that Iceland & Norway can't join together to put one team into Euro & World Cup qualifying. We may never see Haaland on the big national team stages because he is such an outlier. Hell, put the whole band back together and combine Denmark-Norway-Iceland into "Vikinglandia" for major competitions. He is an absolute moose on speed skates. The Johann Olav Koss of Football.

21 hours ago, Napoleon said:

SIDE NOTE: Too bad that Iceland & Norway can't join together to put one team into Euro & World Cup qualifying. We may never see Haaland on the big national team stages because he is such an outlier.

Norway:

World Cups: 1938, 1994, 1998

Euros: 2000

They made the playoffs for the 2020 euros but did not advance to the finals.

In 1998 they controversially defeated finalist Brazil on an 89' pen to advance and lose to Italy 1-0.

Their '98 squad was certainly the golden age of norwegian fitba:

eggen - alaves

h. flo - bremen

t.a. flo - chelsea

grodås - chelsea

rekdal - hertha

mykland - panathinaikos

bjørnebye - pool

leonhardsen - pool

berg - scum

johnsen - scum

solskjær - scum

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

came here to post this.

so we return to the dark ages.

the 20teens will now forever be known as the high-point of soccer in the US.

These games were on BEIN previously right?   It wasn’t great, but seems like there is a good chance the only way to watch away WCQ matches will be streaming.  Which will suck. 

olympic qualifying special opportunity for surly futbol zealots

Spoiler

i am preparing a list of questions for someone connected to our U-23 side

i haven't decided yet if or to whom i will submit the answers for publication but that is a possibility

pm me if you have something you would like to know more about or a question you would like to have asked

i can't promise all questions will be answered, depending on the level of "security" or "disclosure" required to answer a given question

i will not submit questions on individual players

Spoiler

and here's a little clue for you all

it's not the walrus was paul

porkins was born in dallas and interred at sparkman-hillcrest

he was a top man

Some further clarity on dates of upcoming fixtures:

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2021/2/26/22303650/usa-usmnt-us-soccer-world-cup-qualifying-schedule-2022

Someone please get Siebatcheu a call up (video of goal provided):

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/usmnt-americans-abroad/2021/2/25/22298894/ssfc-spotlight-theoson-siebatcheu-bsc-usa-usmnt-france-cameroon-cameroun-national-team

I never gave up on Josh Sargent, did you? I like how he snuck behind Frankfurt's back line.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

...never gave up on Josh Sargent, did you? I like how he snuck behind Frankfurt's back line.

I didn’t “give up” on Sargent, but I thought that he would be much more successful than he has been. 

He’s football smart, has good touch, is a good passer, can crush the ball with either foot, and has tree trunks for legs. He’s fairly fast too. I thought that he would be about a 15 goal/ 10 assist player by this season. 

Is seemed like it took Hoppe going off for 5 goals in 3 games for Sargent to get his game in gear. I think that Sargent has scored more goals since Hoppe's 3 game run than he had scored up to that point since the start of the 2019-2020 season. 

The USMNT player pool has a variety of #9s & “false 9s” under the age of 23 and it was starting to look like Sargent might be out of the Top 2 in that category, especially because that is really his only position. He doesn’t “offer flexibility“, he’s a classic #9, full stop*.

So it is nice to see him score in his league and hopefully Jozy isn’t even considered for Qatar.

*again with a tip of the cap to the Brits. 

13 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I didn’t “give up” on Sargent, but I thought that he would be much more successful than he has been. 

He’s football smart, has good touch, is a good passer, can crush the ball with either foot, and has tree trunks for legs. He’s fairly fast too. I thought that he would be about a 15 goal/ 10 assist player by this season. 

Is seemed like it took Hoppe going off for 5 goals in 3 games for Sargent to get his game in gear. I think that Sargent has scored more goals since Hoppe's 3 game run than he had scored up to that point since the start of the 2019-2020 season. 

The USMNT player pool has a variety of #9s & “false 9s” under the age of 23 and it was starting to look like Sargent might be out of the Top 2 in that category, especially because that is really his only position. He doesn’t “offer flexibility“, he’s a classic #9, full stop*.

So it is nice to see him score in his league and hopefully Jozy isn’t even considered for Qatar.

*again with a tip of the cap to the Brits. 

Werder were freaking awful last year as well and lucky to even stay up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Juventus have decided to sign Weston McKennie on a permanent deal for €18.5M. 

3 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Looks like a bargin now.

That’s a fucking steal of a deal. Pirlo is laughing! (Except not too hard, because he’s currently in 3rd.)

On 2/27/2021 at 10:06 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Also, I'm going to be pissed if CBS pulls the "Buy the streaming service to watch US games" stunt.  Maybe I'm off, but I feel like that's the new thing to do.  Bring in randos that probably wouldn't give something on CBS a thought otherwise.

it's the pre-teens english language punishment.  every game the nats play, friendly, full international, home, away, will be free in the clear HD OTA.  in spanish.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

it's the pre-teens english language punishment.  every game the nats play, friendly, full international, home, away, will be free in the clear HD OTA.  in spanish.

Pinche gringos and their monoglot hijos. 

Tuchel subbed Pulisic in at the 65th today and had him play striker. He didn't do much, didn't look bad, didn't look great. Had a decent look at the goal from right at the 18 yard box and put it over the crossbar (I mean it would have been a phenomenal goal but it was scorable).

Lots a talk about Chelsea selling Pulisic.   Given the lack of matches thus lack of form from CP, seems like they’d take a bath on how much they paid vs what they could get.    Then take into account that teams just don’t have much money after a Covid 18 months.   A loan would make much more sense.  How about Roma, they have a new US owner who is supposedly gonna start splashing cash.  

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Lots a talk about Chelsea selling Pulisic.   Given the lack of matches thus lack of form from CP, seems like they’d take a bath on how much they paid vs what they could get.    Then take into account that teams just don’t have much money after a Covid 18 months.   A loan would make much more sense.  How about Roma, they have a new US owner who is supposedly gonna start splashing cash.  

The owner is a Houstonian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Friedkin

god damn it Pulisic. i already knew that Geoff Cameron was a far right wing nut, and apparently so is Pulisic. pretty fucking indefensible to be out here publicly endorsing an IG post that talks about murdering people whose political beliefs don't align with your own. honestly, this pretty much makes me not give two shits about Pulisic anymore. shit is beyond ignorant.

https://twitter.com/KaraonTW/status/1366135755299553281?s=20

12B67FBC-0F1E-4C82-9B11-18598B86F63E.jpeg

24EB3B0E-1408-4F17-B823-FD7BB0A7BB9A.jpeg

Edited by shadow_operative

Great to see McKennie settling in so quick. Pirlo appears to be looking for another qualify MF (Pogba is rumored) - hopefully McKennie is high enough up the team sheet that it won't matter. Regardless, the training experience with a Ronaldo and potentially a Pogba would be tremendous.

ESPN's article on the deal, with an interesting tidbit on how Berhalter sees McKennie at his best.

Juventus sign Weston McKennie from Schalke on permanent deal

McKennie's form has also impressed USMNT coach Gregg Berhalter. Speaking in January, the national team coach said: "I know Weston very well.

"His style of play and his spirit are so important for a team. I was sure he would play an important role in a top team like Juve.

"He has room for improvement, he is still so young. Surely, he has been improving at Juventus. When you play every day with big champions like Cristiano Ronaldo, you can only improve if you really want it, and Weston wants to reach the top.

"I always watch Juve matches, and this role is perfect for him because of his intensity and his late runs into the box."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/4328310/juventus-sign-mckennie-from-schalke-on-permanent-deal

On 3/4/2021 at 7:59 PM, UDontKnow said:

Our future defensive midfielder knows how to score

Johnny's wiki stated that he was with Avaí and another club (Criciúma) before Internacional.

Avaí is the club on Florianopolis (and the other club was just across the bridge on the mainland, but I don't have a story about that club). I have been to Floriaopolis (a.k.a. "Floripa" for us cool kids) and have actually attended an Avaí match!

Outside the stadium pregame, food, inside the stadium, view...

Avai 1 outside 2009.jpg

Avai 2 pregame 2009.jpg

Avai 3 pregame food.jpg

Avai 4 national anthem 2009.jpg

Avai 5 stadium with mountains.jpg

Avai 6 beauty in the stadium.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 2