USMNT 2021

Napoleon

15 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Gio hurt?  He didn't make the bench today.  BD's midfield sucked pretty badly today.  Yes, I know the opponent, but it can't be good that he doesn't make the bench with what they had out there.

Perhaps they decided to rest him. This was written a few of weeks ago.

Gio Reyna’s Production is Declining. Does he Need a Break?

The young American has been run into the ground, and it’s showing in his numbers. 
By Sean Keyser  Feb 12, 2021, 2:21pm PST

1231019259.0.jpg

Along with Christian Pulisic, Weston McKennie, and Sergiño Dest, Giovanni Reyna is one of the most exciting American prospects in world football. He roared onto the scene at the beginning of the season, most notably with a three-assist performance against SC Freiburg in the Bundesliga. 

In recent weeks, however, Gio Reyna’s production has practically ground to a halt. He hasn’t had an assist or a goal since BVB’s 5-1 defeat to VFB Stuttgart, and as I will demonstrate, his underlying numbers are declining as well. While some of this can be explained by the team’s decline, I’d argue that fatigue is playing a part too. Dortmund manager Edin Terzic should consider giving Gio a few games to rest and recuperate, in order to allow him to recover his form.

The idea that Gio Reyna is battling fatigue shouldn’t be controversial. He said as much during an interview back in January. According to Goal.com, Gio had never felt as exhausted as he felt in the final stretches of December. 

As an 17 18-year-old, Gio is still maturing, and has surely never dealt with anything half as mentally and physically demanding as the Bundesliga. Add to that the fact that he played more than 400 minutes in the Champions League, and it is clear that these minutes are affecting his performance. 

Gio Reyna obviously was not going to get three assists per game, but that wasn’t the only positive aspect of his performances earlier in the season. His actual scoring numbers aside, many of his underlying metrics were rather good. However, as his production has tailed off, so have his advanced stats. I plotted his npxG/90 + xA/90 over the course of the season, with a line representing a rolling three-game average to demonstrate how his numbers have decreased as the season has progressed:

ReynaProd.jpg

While Gio’s production and chance creation may be decreasing, I don’t think it is due to a lack of effort. I ran quick time-series regressions on his shot-creating actions/90, pressures/90 as a % of total team pressures, attempted dribbles/90, and progressive distance/90, and none of them had statistically significant decreases. So it’s not as if Gio is standing around the pitch doing nothing— he’s simply not creating as many high-quality scoring chances as he used to. 

Reyna’s decline in chance creation may not be within his control, either. His decline is correlated with BVB’s decline as a whole, so he may be suffering from the team playing worse. Erling Haaland is in something of a slump, and much of Reyna’s early success was founded upon his chemistry with the Norwegian striker, so that could be another reason for his struggles. However, given his age, the amount of minutes he has played, and the levels of fatigue he claimed to feel prior to the mini-break in January, I think he has more than earned a reprieve. Thankfully, with Thorgan Hazard returning from injury soon, Reyna may not have to carry such an immense burden much longer.

https://www.fearthewall.com/2021/2/12/22271184/gio-reyna-borussia-dortmund-usmnt-bundesliga-bvb

• Like 2

Question about the 23s olympic roster (qualifying vs olympic competition)

Is it like US Basketball where the bigger stars join the squad later for the actual olympic competition after quals since they will all be on summer break?

If i was pulisic or gio or dest or mckinnie or adams or seargent or whea, I mean, I'd like a chance at some international hardware, but I'm not sure if the squads named for qualifying are mostly set for the summer too. Its been so long since we've played in an olympics that i can't really remember the rules ... and back then we didn't even have the full side youth talent for that to even be a real discussion. I think i remember that a team can have a couple of overage players as well. 

Edited by Bottlecap

My understanding is there is a lot scheduled this summer.  Most important is WC qualifying which begins in September. 3 games in Sept.

There is Nations League and Gold Cup.  I think the plan is to use Nations League for team 1A and GC for second team.  Olympic team may be the core of the qualifying team with addition of young players left off Nations league roster.  First they need to fucking qualify .

Edited by dogbreath
add 3 games in Sept
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

Question about the 23s olympic roster (qualifying vs olympic competition)

Is it like US Basketball where the bigger stars join the squad later for the actual olympic competition after quals since they will all be on summer break?

If i was pulisic or gio or dest or mckinnie or adams or seargent or whea, I mean, I'd like a chance at some international hardware, but I'm not sure if the squads named for qualifying are mostly set for the summer too. Its been so long since we've played in an olympics that i can't really remember the rules ... and back then we didn't even have the full side youth talent for that to even be a real discussion. I think i remember that a team can have a couple of overage players as well. 

There is still a real chance we will bork the group even though we have no reason to. The brightside is that we can't face Mexico in the semi's with both finalist qualifying. That said, if we lose to CR we could be fucked. 

Group A: Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, DR

Group B: Honduras, Canada, El Salvador, Haiti

22 hours ago, shnsajax said:

There is still a real chance we will bork the group even though we have no reason to. The brightside is that we can't face Mexico in the semi's with both finalist qualifying. That said, if we lose to CR we could be fucked. 

Group A: Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, DR

Group B: Honduras, Canada, El Salvador, Haiti

I've been thinking about this a lot.  I'm guessing Mexico is the best team in the group.  Therefore, I'll assume they win their first two games and sit on 6 points.  I'll also assume The DR loses all three games.

If the US beats CR, then it'd be:

Mexico 6 (with game v. US)

US 6 (with game v. Mexico)

CR 6 (final total)

DR 0 (final total)

Problem is, Mexico might be playing for a win because a) they don't like us and, b) they may want to win the group to avoid the #1 from the other group.  In that case, it comes down to goal differential for the top 2 spots.  Swap the US and CR if we lose to CR in the first game. A tie with CR in the first game again puts our fate in the hands of goal differential.  

If the US makes it to the 2nd round, then it's a one game, winner-take-all for the Olympics.  Lotta nerves for a bid.

3 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I may be pulling this out of my ass, but I'm guessing that some of our Olympic opponents may have better access to their younger players than we do considering the vast majority of our best younger players are in Europe.

You are.

The Olympics are a Latin American, African, and Asian priority. Teams DO NOT have to release players for Qualifying or the Olympics.

In Europe, most nations don't give a shit about soccer in the Olympics + England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland compete as "Great Britain & Northern Ireland" (which is "The UK", but they just call it "Great Britain". With the exception of the 2012 London Games, GB does not field a soccer team, because each nation has its own soccer federation.

In general, European clubs will allow their young players to play in the U-19 Euros, but don't give a shit about the Olympics. And then don't like their young players from outside of Europe to play in the Olympics, because it cuts into their pre-season training. Your country has to have a special relationship with your club to allow good players to play in the Olympics. (Argentina's 2008 team was LOADED, as was Brazil's 2016 team)

MAYBE 1 Euro player will participate in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

IF WE QUALIFY, the Olympic Team will have many lower level Euros, but I DOUBT that team includes:

-Christian Pulisic
-Tyler Adams
-Weston McKennie
-Sergio Dest
-Chris Richards
-Giovanni Reyna
-Yunus Musah

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

You are.

The Olympics are a Latin American, African, and Asian priority. Teams DO NOT have to release players for Qualifying or the Olympics.

In Europe, most nations don't give a shit about soccer in the Olympics + England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland compete as "Great Britain & Northern Ireland" (which is "The UK", but they just call it "Great Britain". With the exception of the 2012 London Games, GB does not field a soccer team, because each nation has its own soccer federation.

In general, European clubs will allow their young players to play in the U-19 Euros, but don't give a shit about the Olympics. And then don't like their young players from outside of Europe to play in the Olympics, because it cuts into their pre-season training. Your country has to have a special relationship with your club to allow good players to play in the Olympics. (Argentina's 2008 team was LOADED, as was Brazil's 2016 team)

MAYBE 1 Euro player will participate in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

IF WE QUALIFY, the Olympic Team will have many lower level Euros, but I DOUBT that team includes:

-Christian Pulisic
-Tyler Adams
-Weston McKennie
-Sergio Dest
-Chris Richards
-Giovanni Reyna
-Yunus Musah

Sorry.  I meant for the qualification tourney.  I was assuming many youth players for countries like Honduras and CR would be sprinkled throughout their domestic leagues and released for the games; whereas our best youth players are in Europe where they'll stay.

11 minutes ago, Tex48 said:

I think he is definitely in contention to be our #9.  He put Youngboys on his back against Leverkusen.  

Siebatcheu, Sargent, Hoppe, Soto, and Dike is a good stable of forwards/strikers. 

There are no longer excuses to call up Josmer Volmy Altidore.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 3

A good article on the depth of US U-23's.  

The 2021 Olympic team is at best a “C-“ U23 team for the USA at this moment.  So, why am I smiling?  Because it is probably the best team we have sent in a decade at least.  Think about what that is saying about our overall player pool…our best 2021 Olympic Qualifying roster, ever maybe, is the current “C-“ team.  The explosion of talent at the U23 level is astounding compared to just five years ago.

https://chasingacup.com/just-how-bad-is-our-2021-olympic-team-and-why-am-i-smiling/

• Hook 'Em 2

Lol.  

Had a guy on my team with a rep for skying every shot.  We got an indirect free kick about 2 yards from the goal.  I guess his idea was to just kick it into the wall and hope for a touch before going into goal.  He, somehow, shot it over the goal.  Still trying to figure out the physics of that one.

Good news gents.  Next week, we start an 8-day stretch with 5 games - 3 Olympics Q's and 2 friendlies.  This, in addition to the NCAA tourney.  Finally, something to watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Lol.  

Had a guy on my team with a rep for skying every shot.  We got an indirect free kick about 2 yards from the goal.  I guess his idea was to just kick it into the wall and hope for a touch before going into goal.  He, somehow, shot it over the goal.  Still trying to figure out the physics of that one.

Good news gents.  Next week, we start an 8-day stretch with 5 games - 3 Olympics Q's and 2 friendlies.  This, in addition to the NCAA tourney.  Finally, something to watch.

Re: Finally, something to watch.

Schmiedlova vs Bouzkova women’s tennis is on The Tennis Channel and it is DEFINITELY something to watch. 

The tennis is up and down, as are the dreams of this viewer. 🤓🙏

• Haha 1

I guess this is the downside of having a lot of young, Euro based players - not many will be released for Olympic quals, certainly not the starters at the top tier clubs.

And I'm okay with that. We finally have young, Euro based players at the top tier clubs.

Edited by dieucla98
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Busy weekend 

9 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

With as many players getting quality minutes in Europe as we have now, every weekend is a busy weekend.

It’s like we’re becoming Argentina or Brazil or something. 

Our seed is spread all over the old world continent. 

On 3/12/2021 at 10:50 PM, dieucla98 said:

Gotta admit, I'm kinda ragey at that. How much more can they expect and it's from a traditional top 6 club? Take a page out of FC Dallas and know when it's time to sell.

It's a first offer. Even FC Dallas rarely accepts the first offer.

It's not even April yet, much less the Silly Season. 

He's gone, it's just that he will go for more than $10 Million*.

*OR he will go for $10 Million to a lower club with a "Sell On" clause in the sale.

You sell to a Big 6 and there won't be a Sell On in the next 4 years. You sell to a lower level team and there almost definitely will be a Sell On in the next 4 years. Nothing to be ragey about.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

It's a first offer. Even FC Dallas rarely accepts the first offer.

It's not even April yet, much less the Silly Season. 

He's gone, it's just that he will go for more than $10 Million*.

*OR he will go for $10 Million to a lower club with a "Sell On" clause in the sale.

You sell to a Big 6 and there won't be a Sell On in the next 4 years. You sell to a lower level team and there almost definitely will be a Sell On in the next 4 years. Nothing to be ragey about.

All good points. Still ragey.

The more 9's we have playing top flight European football, the better, especially given our current situation at 9. I'm selfish.

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

All good points. Still ragey.

The more 9's we have playing top flight European football, the better, especially given our current situation at 9. I'm selfish.

He's not going to make a St. Patrick's Day transfer.

No need to get ragey until September 1st, 2021. 

And this way, if he hasn't signed with a new team, he's more likely to play in the Olympics (if we qualify). And then, if he does well, he'll have better options. It's early. Tranquilo, tranquilo.

• Hook 'Em 1

Move aside Belgium, it's our turn to have a golden generation.

4 - 5 (2-3) - 1 preferred formation now?

Dest / Brooks / Richards / Robinson

Adams/McKennie

Musah / Reyna / Pulisic

Sargent

Weah gets pushed to the bench but could easily slot in as a false 9 or in either winger spot. 

• Like 1

Move aside Belgium, it's our turn to have a golden generation.
4 - 5 (2-3) - 1 preferred formation now?
Dest / Brooks / Richards / Robinson
Adams/McKennie
Musah / Reyna / Pulisic
Sargent
Weah gets pushed to the bench but could easily slot in as a false 9 or in either winger spot. 

And we actually have interchangeable depth and not relying on 11. Stealing from Twitter, but here is our midfield pool:

e5966e102987e83a96197aba69a14e38.jpg

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

And we actually have interchangeable depth and not relying on 11. Stealing from Twitter, but here is our midfield pool:

e5966e102987e83a96197aba69a14e38.jpg

Pomykal just can't stay healthy.  it's a shame because he's so talented.

Reggie Cannon could push for time at RB.  

we'll have some legit depth going forward.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

add Zardes to that list.  good lord, i never want to see that bleached hair on the pitch for the USMNT again.

Generally speaking I don't want MLS players on the USMNT. With all this depth, there is also no need to.

GK might be the position where you can make an exception. 

You gotta make some exceptions beyond GK - Dike for example, though he may be in Europe soon. Point being, there always seems to be a handful of MLS guys that are on the cusp of a move to Europe that are definitely worthy of a spot, probably more so than some of the guys playing at lower tier clubs in Europe. 

33 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Pomykal just can't stay healthy.  it's a shame because he's so talented.

Reggie Cannon could push for time at RB.  

we'll have some legit depth going forward.

I think Aaronson is ready to push for time now which we need with Pulisic's health being an issue.