USMNT 2021

Napoleon

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Good match.

Even with a potential sweep of OUsux on the line, the only result that really matters today is the U-23 semifinal with Honduras. Can't believe we haven't been to the Olympics since 2008.

Christian Pulisic wants to play in the Olympics. Grant the man his wish!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

now that's innovative!

put a guy down flat behind the wall so it can jump

never seen that evar

That’s been a thing this season, whether internationals or in European fútbol. I think I first noticed it in matches last fall and I have seen it by a few different teams. It’s smart. It’s kind of crazy that it took this long to become a thing.

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Great goal.  Great touch by Robinson? to set it up too 🤬

I don’t trust Antonee on the pitch. He may have some positives, but in a match that mattered, he would never be in my starting XI.

That said, I don’t want to see the guy injured.

• Like 1

This is from BS thread on Gringo's Wall of Shame.  My responses are underlined.

they don’t prioritize:
the Olympics   Two US camps v. 20 MX camps.  True.
the U-17 World Cup.   Before last U17, US made elimination rounds. False.
the U-20 World Cup.   US won last two U20 Concacaf tourneys.  Made elimination rounds. False.
the Gold Cup.  Undetermined.  This year should be depth prep for qualifiers.
the Nations League.  Chance for first team to play in meaningful games before qualifiers.
the Confederations Cup.  Is this still going on?
the Super Liga.  
the Milk Cup
the Festival International “Espoirs” - Tournoi Maurice Revello
the PanAmericanos
the CONCACAF Champions League.

what they prioritize:
friendlies.  haha. that's all we've had in last two years.
owning the Mexis.  If this was true, we wouldn't have scored against Panama in 2016.  Tie game and Mexico misses WC. But true for fans.
the World Cup (has never come close to winning it in the modern era).   Just qualify and go as far as they can. (And Mexico has?)
the Women’s World Cup (this is unfair to the Women’s program because they’re trying to glory hump their success).  True. and why not the world is catching up.

I have serious questions on how US younger players will do playing on the road in WC Qualifiers.  I want them to have Dempsey's attitude and back it up with play.   

10 hours ago, dogbreath said:

This is from BS thread on Gringo's Wall of Shame.  My responses are underlined.

they don’t prioritize:
the Olympics   Two US camps v. 20 MX camps.  True.
the U-17 World Cup.   Before last U17, US made elimination rounds. False.
the U-20 World Cup.   US won last two U20 Concacaf tourneys.  Made elimination rounds. False.
the Gold Cup.  Undetermined.  This year should be depth prep for qualifiers.
the Nations League.  Chance for first team to play in meaningful games before qualifiers.
the Confederations Cup.  Is this still going on?
the Super Liga.  
the Milk Cup
the Festival International “Espoirs” - Tournoi Maurice Revello
the PanAmericanos
the CONCACAF Champions League.

what they prioritize:
friendlies.  haha. that's all we've had in last two years.
owning the Mexis.  If this was true, we wouldn't have scored against Panama in 2016.  Tie game and Mexico misses WC. But true for fans.
the World Cup (has never come close to winning it in the modern era).   Just qualify and go as far as they can. (And Mexico has?)
the Women’s World Cup (this is unfair to the Women’s program because they’re trying to glory hump their success).  True. and why not the world is catching up.

I have serious questions on how US younger players will do playing on the road in WC Qualifiers.  I want them to have Dempsey's attitude and back it up with play.   

Sometimes all Dempsey had was his entitled attitude especially when suiting up for the MNT in the World Cup. Instead of putting effort on the pitch, he was looking for calls as if he were still playing for Fulham.

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Sometimes all Dempsey had was his entitled attitude especially when suiting up for the MNT in the World Cup. Instead of putting effort on the pitch, he was looking for calls as if he were still playing for Fulham.

Dempsey went through that mindset for about 2 years. I think that it was late in his run at Fulham, when he was scoring a bit, into his time with Tottenham, but one he moved to Seattle and was trying to catch Landon, he was back to being a trailer park dog. 

But I do remember when he would try to do Joga Bonita moves around midfield and when go down or lose the ball and start whining to the ref rather than get back and play some D. 

Thie first sentence from bs post is what I saw this morning  

NBCSN showed video of the interaction; Pulisic sprinting on and then being told he was coming off. Pulisic looked baffled and nothing like a guy telling his manager he tweaked a hamstring. This is Tuchel being his typical self and shifting responsibility for a dumb decision onto someone else

I’m really baffled by the Altidore outburst. He seems to be calling out Twellman for something more than calling out the Olympic failure. But no one has found anything that can be pointed to as THE THING.

There is some stuff here:

https://the18.com/en/soccer-entertainment/jozy-altidore-taylor-twellman-twitter-war

and here:

https://the18.com/soccer-entertainment/jozy-altidore-twellman-twitter-feud-part-two

They note in that second link a comment about “big, strong, powerful” - IE the lazy announcers words for black players. But no one knows where this is coming from. 

Edited by Captain Ron
Add the tweet

Altidore was big, strong, and powerful. He was an absolute tank--larger and stronger than virtually anyone else on the pitch.

That's not racist; that's objective fact. Ever see the guy with his shirt off? He wouldn't have looked out of place playing the other football.

But he was also slow, lazy, and not at all tough. Harder to quantify as fact, but supported through observation.

Ever see him outrun someone for the ball? Neither have I. He wasn't quite Dempsey level bad at tracking back, but he was no McBride.

I once saw him get bit on the shoulder, and his reaction was to jump up in the air, backwards, and fall to the ground, writhing in pain.

He went to ground at the slightest of contact, but rarely got a call. Maybe he believes it was on account of his race, but it was more likely the result of him being so big and strong yet somehow so easy to push around.

As insufferable as Altidore was as a player, it seems he's going to be even worse as a pundit/celebrity. But that is just this one "white boy's" opinion.

• Hook 'Em 3

Jozy feeling himself a bit too much and displays no humility. Even if Caribbean kids are looking at black soccer players as an inspiration, what makes him think they would look at him and not a European based player that actually scores goals and has showed up for his national team (like Kylian Mbappe)? The USMNT's failure isn't a race-based issue. Fuck you Jozy for me having to side with Taylor Twellman of all people!

But this response is GOLD!

And this is also sad

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

So tempted to create a Twitter acct just to tell Jozy to go f himself.

In my limited observations of Twellman, I can’t disagree with this sentiment. But given the racial aspect which JA is injecting in here, I wouldn’t touch it with a 10 foot pole. I would says “provide examples” because I certainly haven’t seen this in TTS broadcasts. 

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Altidore was big, strong, and powerful. He was an absolute tank--larger and stronger than virtually anyone else on the pitch.

That's not racist; that's objective fact. Ever see the guy with his shirt off? He wouldn't have looked out of place playing the other football.

But he was also slow, lazy, and not at all tough. Harder to quantify as fact, but supported through observation.

Ever see him outrun someone for the ball? Neither have I. He wasn't quite Dempsey level bad at tracking back, but he was no McBride.

I once saw him get bit on the shoulder, and his reaction was to jump up in the air, backwards, and fall to the ground, writhing in pain.

He went to ground at the slightest of contact, but rarely got a call. Maybe he believes it was on account of his race, but it was more likely the result of him being so big and strong yet somehow so easy to push around.

As insufferable as Altidore was as a player, it seems he's going to be even worse as a pundit/celebrity. But that is just this one "white boy's" opinion.

And then there is this. It’s like Jozy is so lacking of self awareness that he doesn’t get that calling him “big, strong, powerful” is FACTUALLY describing him and it has nothing to do with race. No one would use these descriptors with Rashford, Sterling or any other athlete of small stature. Just as using them to describe Zlatan wouldn’t be wrong.

And players that fit that mold are expected to use that size and strength to their advantage.

IMHO Jozy is doing himself a big disservice saying this without providing any context. I would ask for clear examples before making any points on this. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

And then there is this. It’s like Jozy is so lacking of self awareness that he doesn’t get that calling him “big, strong, powerful” is FACTUALLY describing him and it has nothing to do with race. No one would use these descriptors with Rashford, Sterling or any other athlete of small stature. Just as using them to describe Zlatan wouldn’t be wrong. DaMarcus Beasley.

Fellow black USMNT player comparison.

• Hook 'Em 1

In my limited observations of Twellman, I can’t disagree with this sentiment. But given the racial aspect which JA is injecting in here, I wouldn’t touch it with a 10 foot pole. I would says “provide examples” because I certainly haven’t seen this in TTS broadcasts. 

Oh, I wouldn't touch Twitter with a 10 foot pole... or FB, or Insta, etc... Even when I limited my Twitter account to just sports stuff, I still worried about getting doxxed because someone I followed said something stupid or controversial.  Surly is my extent of on-line interaction.  Ironic, isn't it?

7 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

So tempted to create a Twitter acct just to tell Jozy to go fuck himself.

If you start a Twitter account, could you also tweet at some American football recruits who we are targeting, but who haven’t committed yet?

Thanks, that’d be great. 👍

Edited by Napoleon

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Oh, I wouldn't touch Twitter with a 10 foot pole... or FB, or Insta, etc... Even when I limited my Twitter account to just sports stuff, I still worried about getting doxxed because someone I followed said something stupid or controversial.  Surly is my extent of on-line interaction.  Ironic, isn't it?

I'm moving increasingly towards this myself. I've been off Facebook for 3-4 years now I think. Kind of weaning off of instagram and snapchat. Never been much of a twitter poster. 

No player did more to stop the flow of American talent to Europe than Jozy.  The Daily Mail published a list of the worst strikers in EPL history a few years ago.  Jozy came in at #1 and it is hard to dispute their reasoning.

Jozy Altidore played 70 Premier League games for Hull and Sunderland. He scored a grand total of two Premier League goals. After a fairly non-eventful loan spell with Hull in 2009-10, he returned to England in 2013 after a prolific few years in the Dutch league with AZ. Sunderland, managed by Paulo Di Canio, spent £6m on the US international and he repaid their faith with one strike in 42 league games. Altidore looked big and strong, like anything could hit him and stick. He should have been a colossus, but he just wasn't. Clumsy on the ball and wild in front of goal it was the worst of combinations to spearhead a struggling Sunderland side battling relegation. He left for Toronto in January 2015, with a strike rate of one goal every 35 games that few Premier League strikers can hope to rival. 

He was also awful in the World Cup with 0 goals in 5 games.  He also scored a grand total of 1 goal against Mexico (in a friendly for his first international goal).  He's a flat track bully who made his living dominating overmatched competition while bottling the biggest moments/opportunities of his career.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, alincoln said:

No player did more to stop the flow of American talent to Europe than Jozy.  The Daily Mail published a list of the worst strikers in EPL history a few years ago.  Jozy came in at #1 and it is hard to dispute their reasoning.

Jozy Altidore played 70 Premier League games for Hull and Sunderland. He scored a grand total of two Premier League goals. After a fairly non-eventful loan spell with Hull in 2009-10, he returned to England in 2013 after a prolific few years in the Dutch league with AZ. Sunderland, managed by Paulo Di Canio, spent £6m on the US international and he repaid their faith with one strike in 42 league games. Altidore looked big and strong, like anything could hit him and stick. He should have been a colossus, but he just wasn't. Clumsy on the ball and wild in front of goal it was the worst of combinations to spearhead a struggling Sunderland side battling relegation. He left for Toronto in January 2015, with a strike rate of one goal every 35 games that few Premier League strikers can hope to rival. 

He was also awful in the World Cup with 0 goals in 5 games.  He also scored a grand total of 1 goal against Mexico (in a friendly for his first international goal).  He's a flat track bully who made his living dominating overmatched competition while bottling the biggest moments/opportunities of his career.  

In regards to the Sunderland relegation comment, they were able to flip Jozy to Toronto and get Jermaine Defoe in exchange who was very good for Sunderland. 

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

Here is the 2nd goal

Dike's current goals per minute is 121. That would put him second in the Championship behind the current top scorer, Ivan Toney who is at 114. If Barnsley have a purchase option, even at $20m, they should exercise it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, alincoln said:

But...but...but Jozy is a hero to young black kings (whatever the fuck that is supposed to mean)!

Jozy and his race-baiting self can get properly fucked.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Barnsley's largest transfer fee ever paid is 2.5M

https://www.transfermarkt.us/fc-barnsley/transferrekorde/verein/349

I know. Barnsley follows the Moneyball method of recruitment (Billy Beane is part of the ownership group). The ownership group does have plenty of money though. They're now in position to get promoted via the playoffs and their good run of form coincided with Dike's arrival. There's also the argument that they could probably flip a 20 year old American with the second best minutes per goal in the Championship for a profit.

Edited by Schulz2.0

55 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

A little late here, but someone clear something up for me.  Why do we play our younger players in the Olympic qualifier and our older guys in a meaningless friendly?  Is there an age/amateurism limit like there used to be for basketball?

Bait GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1