USMNT 2021

Napoleon

On 4/25/2021 at 5:00 PM, Ted Lange said:

USYNT keeper.  People big mad online.  Lol 

10 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Did he yell, "Puto!" as he kicked it?

Minnesota fans sound like aggies. And Minnesota players should like "the corps".

I support David Ochoa's punting practice and am fine with banning Minnesota from every hosting a USMNT match and from any of their players ever playing for the USMNT. I am also fine with cancelling any work permits that their foreign players may hold.

I don't believe that to be too harsh of a response to the tantrum thrown by the whiny b****es of Minnesota.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Lots of smoke

He seems threatening, but not really dangerous the times that I've watched him.

Barcelona wants to sell him to a team that will allow them to insert a buy-back clause. So they need to make sure that they find a team that allows that.

8 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Reyna with the first two goals. Second was a sitter, but that thru-ball and dummy were world class:

Only version of Aaronson's goal I was able to find. It was well struck, to say the least.

That first one was filth.

On 5/1/2021 at 1:46 PM, Ted Lange said:

He will not be in NY for long. Wonder if he goes to Salzburg first or goes directly to Leipzig. Wonder if it will happen this summer or at the end of the season.

Wonder if Brendinho goes to Leipzig this summer as well. Here’s the official Twitter of yesterday’s goal for Brenden. 

On 5/1/2021 at 1:59 PM, Ted Lange said:

Was going to mention, a yank abroad will be lifting the trophy 🏆 one way or another. 

Its crazy how many cups yanks abroad have won.  Have a shot at a trophy in all big 5 Leagues, Dest won Copa Del Rey, as you mentioned we will be winning the German cup.  Zach has already won a cup in England, and Pulisic and he face off in teh FA cup final.  Mckennie is in the Copa Italia final, and Weah's on the current Ligue1 leader.   Then we alos have yanks who won cups in Belgium and Austria.

Pulisic is Chelsea’s Vinnie Johnson. (30 year-old reference)

Tuchel likes winning more than he cares if a player is frustrated with not starting. Pulisic is like a wildcard up Tuchel’s sleeve. He’s tough to play against anytime, but if he can be brought in with 30 minutes left against a tired squad it’s almost unfair. 

I think that Tuchel probably won’t start him in the final either because he feels that it gives the team the best chance to win.

3 hours ago, alincoln said:

Tuchel is certainly pushing the right buttons but Puli needs to leave Chelsea after next season if he isn't a regular starter and it sounds like he is leaning that way.

He can just move over in West London to join QPR. I can guarantee a starting spot!

Geoff Cameron announced he's leaving QPR to return to the US so we need to fill the American gap. 

Edited by LonghornSean

On 5/6/2021 at 2:40 PM, ztejas said:

Pretty good little write up. Didn't know Slate ever wrote anything worth a shit sports-related.

https://slate.com/culture/2021/05/christian-pulisic-chelsea-champions-league-real-madrid.amp

For me, the amazing thing about Christian's recent form is, not only will he be the first Yank to play in a CL final, he's the reason they got there.

Soccer's a team sport, but his opener against Real Madrid was a spectacular individual effort that put Chelsea in the driver's seat. Without it, Werner's goal in the rematch wouldn't have been enough to see Chelsea through. Fortunately, Pulisic was there with another moment of individual brilliance to put the match on ice.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

For me, the amazing thing about Christian's recent form is, not only will he be the first Yank to play in a CL final, he's the reason they got there.

Soccer's a team sport, but his opener against Real Madrid was a spectacular individual effort that put Chelsea in the driver's seat. Without it, Werner's goal in the rematch wouldn't have been enough to see Chelsea through. Fortunately, Pulisic was there with another moment of individual brilliance to put the match on ice.

Pulisic was the reason.

It was a funny, BUT spot on point about Werner’s goal. It was meaningless. If Madrid scored his goal meant nothing. If they didn’t score Pulisic’s wa the winner. And when Pulisic assisted in the 2nd goal in 2-0, it was the real nail in the coffin. 

• Hook 'Em 1

as a neutral (pool/fulham) and a zealot (nats) i can say tuchel is the difference.

the individuals currently playing that could take credit for a run of results like chelsea's are counted on 1 hand and pulisic is not in that very very small group, if there is even anyone right now in the european big 5 leagues could be counted as "the difference".  maybe haaland.  maybe.

from goal.com 2 days ago:

"Much of Tuchel's success at Stamford Bridge stems from his ability to strengthen his side's back line. Chelsea kept just 26 clean sheets in 84 games under Lampard – managing the feat 31 per cent of the time. Under Tuchel, the Blues have kept 18 clean sheets in 24 matches – 75% of the time."

tuchel came in and took over a side he had zero hand in building and increased clean sheets by more than 100%.

pulisic was not the difference in that statistic.

i hope he goes off for a hat in the final.

but tuchel is the difference.

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

as a neutral (pool/fulham) and a zealot (nats) i can say tuchel is the difference.

the individuals currently playing that could take credit for a run of results like chelsea's are counted on 1 hand and pulisic is not in that very very small group, if there is even anyone right now in the european big 5 leagues could be counted as "the difference".  maybe haaland.  maybe.

"Much of Tuchel's success at Stamford Bridge stems from his ability to strengthen his side's back line. Chelsea kept just 26 clean sheets in 84 games under Lampard – managing the feat 31 per cent of the time. Under Tuchel, the Blues have kept 18 clean sheets in 24 matches – 75% of the time."

tuchel came in and took over a side he had zero hand in building and increased clean sheets by more than 100%.

Kante laughs (in French) in your direction.

Kante was the instigator of both goals this week and probably did some hossing in Game 1.

Love me's some on fire Puli, but Kante is king at the moment. All 5'3" of him, or whatever he really is.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/8/2021 at 12:00 AM, Hagbard Celine said:

Kante is a top 10 player in Europe right now. Whether he is capable of making the difference in results you are referring to is a different debate - but let's not pretend that Tuchel isn't blessed with arguably the best box to box midfielder in the world.

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Hell yes!  Aaronson is about to become my fav player.

He's climbing my list rather rapidly, as well. Love that he one-timed the shot for the second goal instead of taking another touch.

Overall, the skill level is way beyond anything we've seen from the USMNT player pool. The 2002 qualifying cycle had a lot of promise with the likes of Donovan, Beasley, O'Brien, Reyna, Mathis, Sanneh, Cherundolo, Keller and Friedel. However, this current crop is even better and there are a lot more of them.

I keep gushing about this, but waiting to see our young guns in tournaments this summer and in qualifying later this year is agonizing.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

1) Is Red Bull Salzburg a U-23 squad?

2) On the second goal, it looked like he was playing Left CD... but he wears the number 11. What gives?

Aaronson is definitely going to tag along with Marsch to Leipzig this off-season. He's too good for Salzburg already.