USMNT 2021

Napoleon

The preliminary roster (Nations League):

Goalkeepers: Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge, Belgium), Sean Johnson (New York City), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake), Zack Steffen (Manchester City), Matt Turner (New England), DeAndre Yedlin (Besitkas, Turkey)

Defenders: John Brooks (Wolfsburg, Germany), Reggie Cannon (Boavista, Portugal), Sergiño Dest (Barcelona, Spain), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls), Mark McKenzie (Genk, Belgium), Matt Miazga (Anderlecht, Belgium), Tim Ream (Fulham, England), Bryan Reynolds (Roma, Italy), Chris Richards (Hoffenheim, Germany), Antonee Robinson (Fulham, England), Miles Robinson (Atlanta), Sam Vines (Colorado), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville)

Midfielders: Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg, Austria), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig, Germany), Kellyn Acosta (Colorado), Luca de la Torre (Heracles Almelo, Netherlands), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Weston McKennie (Juventus, Italy), Yunus Musah (Valencia, Spain), Owen Otasowie (Wolverhampton, England), Cristian Roldan (Seattle), Jackson Yueill (San Jose)

Forwards: Paul Arriola (D.C. United), Tyler Boyd (Besiktas, Turkey), Konrad de la Fuente (Barcelona, Spain), Daryl Dike (Barnsley, England), Nicholas Gioacchini (Caen, France), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea, England), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund, Germany), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen, Germany), Jordan Siebatcheu (Young Boys, Switzerand), Tim Weah (Lille, France), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus)

7 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

The preliminary roster (Nations League):

Goalkeepers: Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge, Belgium), Sean Johnson (New York City), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake), Zack Steffen (Manchester City), Matt Turner (New England), DeAndre Yedlin (Besitkas, Turkey)

Defenders: John Brooks (Wolfsburg, Germany), Reggie Cannon (Boavista, Portugal), Sergiño Dest (Barcelona, Spain), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls), Mark McKenzie (Genk, Belgium), Matt Miazga (Anderlecht, Belgium), Tim Ream (Fulham, England), Bryan Reynolds (Roma, Italy), Chris Richards (Hoffenheim, Germany), Antonee Robinson (Fulham, England), Miles Robinson (Atlanta), Sam Vines (Colorado), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville)

Midfielders: Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg, Austria), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig, Germany), Kellyn Acosta (Colorado), Luca de la Torre (Heracles Almelo, Netherlands), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Weston McKennie (Juventus, Italy), Yunus Musah (Valencia, Spain), Owen Otasowie (Wolverhampton, England), Cristian Roldan (Seattle), Jackson Yueill (San Jose)

Forwards: Paul Arriola (D.C. United), Tyler Boyd (Besiktas, Turkey), Konrad de la Fuente (Barcelona, Spain), Daryl Dike (Barnsley, England), Nicholas Gioacchini (Caen, France), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea, England), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund, Germany), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen, Germany), Jordan Siebatcheu (Young Boys, Switzerand), Tim Weah (Lille, France), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus)

I would have liked to see Green on this list.

I don't give a shit who's playing I want results. Lesser talented teams have done more than more talented teams in our NT's history. Show me a scoreline not a 23.

(That said - if CP Gio Weston Steffen and Adams aren't on the pitch I might give up entirely)

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Will Mark McKenzie make the final cut? He deserves a chance.

We could almost include both Caden Clark and Cade Cowell as deserving a chance as well. For the first time ever we are developing an overflow of talent and can have roster controversies outside of a slightly fat Donovan. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't give a shit who's playing I want results. Lesser talented teams have done more than more talented teams in our NT's history. Show me a scoreline not a 23.

(That said - if CP Gio Weston Steffen and Adams aren't on the pitch I might give up entirely)

Two Face.png

Geez.  What's the last meaningful game the US has played?  (I'm not counting the Olympics bullshit.)

I looked it up.  Perhaps the 2019 Gold Cup Final.  Two years ago.  Here was the roster:

Steffen - good

Cannon - meh

Miazga - meh

Long - meh

Ream - meh

McKennie - good

CP - good

Bradley - meh

Morris - meh

Altidore - no

Arriola - no

Subs:

Roldan, Zardes, Lovitz - LOL

THREE solid players on that entire team, and that's less than 2 years ago.  Who would have known?

3 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Geez.  What's the last meaningful game the US has played?  (I'm not counting the Olympics bullshit.)

I looked it up.  Perhaps the 2019 Gold Cup Final.  Two years ago.  Here was the roster:

Steffen - good

Cannon - meh

Miazga - meh

Long - meh

Ream - meh

McKennie - good

CP - good

Bradley - meh

Morris - meh

Altidore - no

Arriola - no

Subs:

Roldan, Zardes, Lovitz - LOL

THREE solid players on that entire team, and that's less than 2 years ago.  Who would have known?

Quite a change!

On 5/11/2021 at 5:41 AM, Napoleon said:

Two Face.png

I mean... not really. I'm saying we have 5 guys that are incredibly obvious starters. Outside of that I'm not going to get caught up in who is or isn't playing unless we are pissing away games we should win or not qualifying for the WC. I guess I maybe left out Dest in that crew.

Gold Cup schedule is out: https://www.concacaf.com/en/gold-cup/news/concacaf-announces-schedule-for-2021-gold-cup/

Sunday, July 11 – Children’s Mercy Park, Kansas City, KS (Group B)
20:30 (19:30) USA vs Winner Prelims 7

Thursday, July 15 – Children’s Mercy Park, Kansas City, KS (Group B)
21:30 (20:30) Martinique vs USA 

Sunday, July 18
17:00 (16:00) USA vs Canada (Children’s Mercy Park)

And, Q2 will host one of the semifinals. So barring some major upsets, great chance of either USMNT or El Tri playing in Austin.

Semis are July 29 btw, the other being at NRG.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Yeah it says the venue for each specific semi matchup will be determined later, which I would think basically means, if Mexico is in the semis, they'll almost certainly play in Houston regardless of the other matchup. So let's hope the US doesn't fuck it up.

Haha. Exactly what my son and I were just texting about. We should get the US if we don't fuck it up so....

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

And Reyna starts on the bench, fuck me.

His team is up 3-0 at halftime, so his cheering must be doing some good. 

I am thinking that Reyna sticks around Dortmund one more season. His massive mid-season dip in form kind of says “Not yet ready for the big time.”

People are going to want 30+ match starter across all competitions for the money that he will cost and I don’t think that you can say that he definitely is yet. 

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

His team is up 3-0 at halftime, so his cheering must be doing some good. 

I am thinking that Reyna sticks around Dortmund one more season. His massive mid-season dip in form kind of says “Not yet ready for the big time.”

People are going to want 30+ match starter across all competitions for the money that he will cost and I don’t think that you can say that he definitely is yet. 

Agreed, I think the only chance he gets sold is if the miss the CL next season and need cash.

He should get some burn the 2nd half and be on the field to lift the trophy at least. 

14 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

He’s just trying to kiss up to Gregg, because the Berhalter doesn’t think much of him and so he wants to convey that he’s willing to work his way up the pecking order. 

But Dike has been doing it all semester. That Hoppe kid had 5 goals over 3 games and nothing before or since. 

Dike should be in the discussion for the #9, but he needs to make it to the first division in a top 5 to 7 league. 

Dike could very easily be wearing the #9 jersey in 2026. The rate of his improvement over the last 12-18 months has been astonishing. 

3 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Bayern are buying Justin Che who was on loan to them.

He never even played for FC Dallas, did he?

He may have gotten some run out with the USL team, but I don't think that he was every with FC Dallas.

EDIT: He still has 6 months before he turns 18, but I believe that he's got a Euro passport (maybe even Germany), so it doesn't really matter.

Edited by Napoleon

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

He never even played for FC Dallas, did he?

He may have gotten some run out with the USL team, but I don't think that he was every with FC Dallas.

EDIT: He still has 6 months before he turns 18, but I believe that he's got a Euro passport (maybe even Germany), so it doesn't really matter.

Yeah with the FC Dallas academy for like 10 years too. He has a German passport (Grandparents live in Germany too) and hasn't ruled out even flipping to them. But I trust Weston and Richards will keep him in the family. 

13 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Hoppe subbed in and scored in the 64th.  Watching game tracker, so I'm unsure of the quality.

Hoppe had a surgically placed assist on Schalke's 3rd goal and scores the 4th goal himself.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Hoppe had a surgically placed assist on Schalke's 3rd goal and scores the 4th goal himself.

He was no Pulisic or Mbappe on that goal of his, but he got the job done. (I saw the goal last night.)

I will watch the replay of his assist on my computer. 👍

36 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Brendon Aaronson too 

This was intended to mean GERMAN Bundesliga. As of today, Aaronson still plays in the AUSTRIAN Bundesliga.

Perhaps that will change in the coming months. Perhaps Caden Clark will join him in Leipzig. Perhaps some FC Dallas Academy players will join this list from Bayern, but this is all for now. 

5 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

See that now.   Here is the full list....so far

Hopefully Pulisic will be added to the list soon, although Chelsea are in a tight race in the Premiership and could end up anywhere between 3rd and 5th when the season is over.

It would also be nice to see Siebatcheu perform against better competition.