USMNT 2021

Napoleon

41 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

btw, whats the deal with in shape athletes wearing a bro/manzier?   What is that supposed to do?   I could get some PGA tour guys or PBA guys, or some MLB pitchers, but why exactly would a soccer player wear one?

Might be that they contain all the tracking/heart rate monitoring technology in them  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

btw, whats the deal with in shape athletes wearing a bro/manzier?   What is that supposed to do?   I could get some PGA tour guys or PBA guys, or some MLB pitchers, but why exactly would a soccer player wear one?

Data collection. 

Digital sensor in a pocket above their upper spine. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Agreed on interesting and encouraging. USMNT desperately needs more backs.

(Glowers in Ream's general direction.)

USMNT fans need to do more glowering in full camera view so that the powers that be understand our frustration. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Seeing that list kind of makes me twitch a little. Just so much MLS. We really, really need more talent to bloom in Europe. 

Unfortunately the GC bleeds into European training camp, so tough to bring any of them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

about what I was expecting, wish Luc de la fora was there, guess club situation was the reason he is out.  Some really exciting young kids though, that I hope make the final roster, Clark, Cowell, Busio, Jo Gonzales, Che, Flatch, etc....

Pomykal too.

@Ted Lange, I'm not worried about the WCQ in Mexico anymore after this (kidding).

Mexico punished for fans' homophobic chant, will play World Cup qualifiers in empty stadium

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mexico-world-cup-qualifiers-fans-homophobic-chant-fifa-punishment-164011562.html

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

@Ted Lange, I'm not worried about the WCQ in Mexico anymore after this (kidding).

Mexico punished for fans' homophobic chant, will play World Cup qualifiers in empty stadium

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mexico-world-cup-qualifiers-fans-homophobic-chant-fifa-punishment-164011562.html

Interesting that "Puto!" bothers CONCACAF more than bags of urine, batteries, and full cans or bottles of liquid.

Still, glad some action is being taken.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I prefer the top right hand corner. Simple and let the play on the pitch speak louder than your uniform. But all of these would be better than the current animal print kits.

1 , 2

3 , 4

#3 Looks to be inspired by Novak Djokovic’s ASICS stuff to me. 

#4 Looks like a “Modern/Throwback” inspired by the 1994 kits. 

#2 is the best, but it looks like a Scottish kit with American & NIKE branding. 

#1 will likely be the Home kit. 

The shit the women just wore in Austin is fucking atrocious. 

IN OTHER NEWS:

Justin Che (FC Dallas) did NOT signe a contract with Bayern and is back with the home team for the rest of the season. 

He’s on the massive Gold Cup roster and it would be great to cap-tie him to the USA this summer. 

What I think that he will do is attend the USMNT pre-tournament training camp and then not play in the tournament. 

Edited by Napoleon

Apparently he only got 5 matches with Heerenven last season and allegedly struggled playing in colder weather. He's only 20 so hopefully he lands on his feet somewhere. I would not be surprised if he has to return to MLS for a couple of seasons and begin building himself back up again. Damn you Wolfsburg!

17 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Apparently he only got 5 matches with Heerenven last season and allegedly struggled playing in colder weather. He's only 20 so hopefully he lands on his feet somewhere. I would not be surprised if he has to return to MLS for a couple of seasons and begin building himself back up again. Damn you Wolfsburg!

Go to a top La Liga B squad or a loan to a newly promoted La Liga A club.

A club near Sevilla or Granada perhaps. Warm & Spanish speaking. 

La Liga B & A

4E3D4E64-481C-4148-B783-A59F72ED63C7.jpeg

883FD517-8E82-498F-B5EC-F9DA11C8C33C.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon

6 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Okay so it's not just Schalke that's involved, it's also Eintracht Frankfurt. What can y'all tell me about Eintracht?

Here's what I can tell you about Eintracht Frankfurt:

1) A former flatmate from my last flat my first year in Buenos Aires (Sept-Nov 2007) works for Eintracht Frankfurt. We lived in a flat in Recoleta just a block from Plaza Francia and the Recoleta Cemetery where several presidents, plus Evita, are buried. Our flat was owned & occupied by a psychiatrist/psychoanalyst on el segundo piso (3rd Floor in the USA) in a Parisian style building. I had a jacaranda tree outside my French doors that opened onto the street and he had a window that looked at the interior gray air shaft in the middle of the building. 

2) Indeed, based in Austin, is the kit sponsor for Eintracht. 

3) I gave this Marketing guy from Indeed a tour of Buenos Aires about a decade ago, give or take, along with his wife (now ex-wife). Then years later (August 2019), he went over to Frankfurt for the kit sponsorship announcement.

image.thumb.png.b29758e1dca4d4b2164c6326183f0b7f.png

So that is what I can tell you about Eintracht Frankfurt.

Basically, it wouldn't be difficult for me to get a ticket to a match if I fly into Frankfurt during the season.

30 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Thank you for this memory, Landon Donovan.

I was in the (now closed) SUGAR BAR in Palermo Soho, Buenos Aires by the back TV with ~40-60 Americans & friends sweating it out after having heard the lions’ roar of The Three Lions fans (English & friends) earlier in the match who watching England go up 1-0 on the front TV in the entrance area of the same bar. 

My future flatmate and many of my best friends were English and had to have been grinning like Cheshire Cats as time was winding down in both matches and they had yet to hear a roar from our part of the bar…

…AND THEN THIS HAPPENED.

(My Argentine girlfriend was traveling across the northern part of the country visiting cities that her family’s paint business had accounts in while also documenting World Cup fever big & small along her drive.)

EDIT: Just passed this along to the English flatmate (who now lives in Madrid) and his response on WhatsApp is…

31D18CB2-34FB-4330-A4DA-B4933A856C66.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon

18 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

Dude is good. I think he’s a lock for the gold cup. 

Mexico is bringing their A- team. They are out for blood. 

Love it. El Tri will once again be under immense pressure and scrutiny. Meanwhile, our B team will be playing with no fucks given.

Will we crash out? Maybe. But no fucks given. Our youngsters--plus some MLS olds--are there for seasoning. Besides, we already have the trophy that mattered (cough, cough, if one can say such a thing about a CONCACAF event).

3 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

I was just thinking about these things last night:

1) Caden Clark is likely going to Austria or Germany soon. 

2) I wonder if he is already studying German with a tutor because we have all known that he will be speaking German in the very near future, or is he going to wait to study German until after he officially signs?

3) Going through German speaking countries has become almost a rite of passage for this new youth wave. 

4) Berhalter spent enough years in Germany that I bet that he can still speak some German as well. 

5) With most people in CONCACAF being Spanish speakers who still understand some English, yelling to teammates in English or Spanish would likely be easy to understand for the opposition, so…

I wonder if conversing in German on the pitch might be a fallback option when playing CONCACAF squads in World Cup qualifying. That could be a wildcard for the USMNT.

Edited by Napoleon

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I was just thinking about these things last night:

1) Caden Clark is likely going to Austria or Germany soon. 

2) I wonder if he is already studying German with a tutor because we have all known that he will be speaking German in the very near future, or is he going to wait to study German until after he officially signs?

3) Going through German speaking countries has become almost a rite of passage for this new youth wave. 

4) Berhalter spent enough years in Germany that I bet that he can still speak some German as well. 

5) With most people in CONCACAF being Spanish speakers who still understand some English, yelling to teammates in English or Spanish would likely be easy to understand for the opposition, so…

I wonder if conversing in German on the pitch might be a fallback option when playing CONCACAF squads in World Cup qualifying. That could be a wildcard for the USMNT.

You need some pussy dude. No offense 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think that he goes for $6M and misses the Gold Cup and leaves mid-season. 

You don’t want a 19 year-old sulking in your midfield because he knows that he’s not going to have a chance at Serie A playing time until 4 months before the World Cup. If he goes over mid-season, he’s basically going to spend the spring adjusting to Italian practice and tactics. 

It will happen this summer. 

3 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Love all the young talent getting looked at by Euro clubs.

Not all will get picked up, and not all of those who do will stick, but the continued mining and development of US prospects by big-budget European sides who know what they are doing can only lead to great things.

5 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

More on the Philadelphia Union's approach (or how they might create a Pennsylvania pipeline for MNT players): https://phillysportsnetwork.com/2021/01/01/unions-formula/

So far it's only two Union players to make the jump to Europe in Brendon Aaronson (RB Salzburg - Austria) and Mark McKenzie (Genk - Belgium), but the bigger point is that the Union is facilitating the growth of these players (don't forget they're also homegrown) by actively trying to sell them to European Clubs <looking at the rest of MLS except for FC Dallas>. 

• Hook 'Em 1