USMNT 2021

Napoleon

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

47 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Konrad!

Yes.

Just as Ted Lange posted well over an hour beforehand (including posting a second video with additional angles...

Konrad did indeed look good on his move.

Was surprised me the most was that this tool has made his way to Marseille as well.

JBib9rbmEAV0_JBib9rbmEAV0_xbGJSDim3mJY_o

• Haha 2

I'm viewing this kid as a possible young option in the GK pool once David Ochoa inevitably goes dirty JNip. He's nicknamed 'C' or 'Big C'.

https://www.ussoccer.com/players/o/chituru-odunze

https://sbisoccer.com/2021/02/odunze-makes-leicester-city-under-23-debut-in-draw (He seems to be doing well in their system).

Edited by UDontKnow

29 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I'm viewing this kid as a possible young option in the GK pool once David Ochoa inevitably goes dirty JNip. He's nicknamed 'C' or 'Big C'.

https://www.ussoccer.com/players/o/chituru-odunze

https://sbisoccer.com/2021/02/odunze-makes-leicester-city-under-23-debut-in-draw (He seems to be doing well in their system).

Can a keeper this tall get to low balls?

Is there a point when a person is TOO TALL to play keeper?

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Donarumma is 6'5" but I can't think of any well known goalkeepers who are taller than him.  

Just now, Napoleon said:

Hakeem Olajuwon played goalie in his youth for what it's worth. He was athletic as hell.

If you read Odunze's biography, the kid credits his footwork and strength from playing basketball growing up. He's a reverse Olajuwon. Odunze is also an understudy to Kasper Schmeichel and I'm certain if he can play goalie otherwise Leicester City wouldn't have brought him over (and in the process saved him from the Vancouver Whitecaps).

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Hakeem Olajuwon played goalie in his youth for what it's worth. He was athletic as hell.

If you read Odunze's biography, the kid credits his footwork and strength from playing basketball growing up. He's a reverse Olajuwon. Odunze is also an understudy to Kasper Schmeichel and I'm certain if he can play goalie otherwise Leicester City wouldn't have brought him over (and in the process saved him from the Vancouver Whitecaps).

Reverse Olajuwon = "Dream Stir"*

*NOT Shake(n)

https://www.onegoal.us/articles/matthew-hoppe-transfer-news-usmnt

Matthew Hoppe Transfer News: USMNT Prospect Set to Leave Schalke in Coming Weeks

United States striker Matthew Hoppe is set to leave Schalke 04 in the coming weeks, OneGoal has learned.

Still only 20 years old, Hoppe enjoyed a breakout season in the Bundesliga in 2020/21, scoring six goals in just 15 starts despite Schalke finishing bottom of the table with just three wins from 34 games. In the end, Hoppe was responsible for 24% of Schalke’s 25 Bundesliga goals last term.

Hoppe only signed a new contract with Die Königsblauen in February — a deal that was meant to keep him at the club until 2023, though OneGoal understands offers had been made for the striker prior to that contract being signed.

2 hours ago, Tex48 said:

Donarumma is 6'5" but I can't think of any well known goalkeepers who are taller than him.  

Mendy is 6'6" and Courtois is 6'7".

There's plenty more that tall - just picked a couple that play for well known clubs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

https://www.onegoal.us/articles/matthew-hoppe-transfer-news-usmnt

Matthew Hoppe Transfer News: USMNT Prospect Set to Leave Schalke in Coming Weeks

United States striker Matthew Hoppe is set to leave Schalke 04 in the coming weeks, OneGoal has learned.

Still only 20 years old, Hoppe enjoyed a breakout season in the Bundesliga in 2020/21, scoring six goals in just 15 starts despite Schalke finishing bottom of the table with just three wins from 34 games. In the end, Hoppe was responsible for 24% of Schalke’s 25 Bundesliga goals last term.

Hoppe only signed a new contract with Die Königsblauen in February — a deal that was meant to keep him at the club until 2023, though OneGoal understands offers had been made for the striker prior to that contract being signed.

Looked up the link and it's old news. However with the Gold Cup winding down, this is something to closely monitor to see if it actually materializes. If it does happen, I say it's within a week of the end of the USMNT's run at the Gold Cup.

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

2 different Americans score for BVB today vs Bologna.

I like that setting for a preseason match. Mountains in the background...

Bologna needs Ricardo Pepi to arrive to be able to hold its own.

Rio wearing #7 is a nice change.

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

For those in the know, why doesn't he get more consideration as our CB pool leaves much to be desired?

Erik P-B is always looking to finalize a move, or win a starting spot, or...

He was in the Switzerland camp, I believe, but he's just outside the European backs that see the field, but he's in Europe in a tenuous position, so he doesn't come in for the MLS squads.

3 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Awesome. I called the timing seven posts above (my little humblebrag for the week). Everything that follows is pure speculation, but I am hoping for Everton rather than Arsenal so that he is less likely to be loaned out. Those who follow the EPL and know those teams' depth charts, please advise accordingly.

41 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

I’m an Arsenal fan, it would be a horrible place for him to land.  He’d likely log less than 800 minutes 

Same, plus we fucking suck. If he signed with Arsenal they would just loan him out. I would like to see him at PSV or Feyenoord. Ajax he would loose some minutes, but put him in a league we he can tally 15+ goals right now and get minutes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

So yesterday, Sargent went from Hannover to Norwich back to Hannover, only to score today?!

It’s like slipping into Wisconsin!

Sargent seems to have rediscovered where German teams keep their goal posts 🥅 ever since Hoppe went on his little 5 goals in 3 games run early this year.

(Still hasn’t managed to locate where CONCACAF teams keep their 🥅.)

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

It’s like slipping into Wisconsin!

Sargent seems to have rediscovered where German teams keep their goal posts 🥅 ever since Hoppe went on his little 5 goals in 3 games run early this year.

(Still hasn’t managed to locate where CONCACAF teams keep their 🥅.)

Yes, but has he truly gotten setup for several scoring opportunities by the rest of the USMNT in recent times? The answer to that is 'no.' I want to see more of Pulisic and Reyna actively looking for Sargent in the box. Plus CONCACAF is just a weird beast unlike European football. I still like Sargent as the starting striker because he'll give effort in whichever direction the ball is traveling and he's usually not getting outmuscled in 'rumble and tumble' CONCACAF matches.

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Dallas will likely sell Paxton ASAP before he gets injured again. 

I asked Clark Hunt at a high school soccer game in February of 2020 if Paxton was going to stick around for the entire season (2020) or go to Europe during the summer and he said that he thought that he would want to stick around for the entire season because he was friends with a lot of the 1st team era who had come up through the academy. 

…then COVID.

Then Dallas sold everyone they could and Paxton had an injury that required surgery and a long recovery. 

If Paxton doesn’t go soon, he’ll be an MLS lifer, and I don’t think that that was ever the goal.

On 7/30/2021 at 11:25 PM, UDontKnow said:

Awesome. I called the timing seven posts above (my little humblebrag for the week). Everything that follows is pure speculation, but I am hoping for Everton rather than Arsenal so that he is less likely to be loaned out. Those who follow the EPL and know those teams' depth charts, please advise accordingly.

based on their respective form during the spring run-in, new blood has a better chance of minutes at the emirates

That was fun. Hoppe really established himself this tournament with his workrate. Miles Robinson is forcing his way in, Matt Turner might be the #2 who can challenge for the #1. Hopefully this is the last day Nipple ever wears the armband, but the depth the Nats have established since 2017 is astounding. Hopefully the Women can secure the Continent for us later this morning. 

• Like 1

One thing on Beerholder

... and in saying this I'm not saying he's won me over, but I am starting to warm up to him ...

I can fault him on rosters, lineups and subs. I think his Xs and Os are crap. As a whole I wonder if he is putting these teams in their best place to win.

But in talking with a friend last night, he made me realize one thing, and both the Gold Cup and Nations League finals prove this: He gets the teams to play hard/grind.

I won't say the last cycle the teams played soft, but I don't know I felt that those teams grinded when it wasn't working, win or lose.

Beerholder's teams grind. I don't know they need to, sometimes I think they underperform their talent. But when this team needs to they grind they can.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, shnsajax said:

That was fun. Hoppe really established himself this tournament with his workrate. Miles Robinson is forcing his way in, Matt Turner might be the #2 who can challenge for the #1. Hopefully this is the last day Nipple ever wears the armband, but the depth the Nats have established since 2017 is astounding. Hopefully the Women can secure the Continent for us later this morning. 

Acosta is a legit option on the back line, too. Not sure he's one of or four backs but he's probably our #2 as a natural 6 and with Adams always banged up that could be huge in WCQ. Not sure I want him starting against Ghana or Colombia in 2022 but against some of the dregs of CONCACAF he's more than good enough.

I also think Shaq Moore has some upside for helping our depth. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Acosta is a legit option on the back line, too. Not sure he's one of or four backs but he's probably our #2 as a natural 6 and with Adams always banged up that could be huge in WCQ. Not sure I want him starting against Ghana or Colombia in 2022 but against some of the dregs of CONCACAF he's more than good enough.

I also think Shaq Moore has some upside for helping our depth. 

What's your take on Busio?

Unpopular Hoppe opinion inbound …

He was really good in this tourney and just seemed like the most skilled attacking guy we had on the pitch by a mile.  

But when/if he is playing with the ones, based on this tourney and the very limited Schalke stuff I’ve seen, he seems to be a bit of a ball stopper to use an NBA term.  It looked good, and was probably needed, in this tourney. But in Qatar, is he going to try to dribble through 3 guys when Pulisic and Gio are screaming for the ball making runs to the box?

Edited by A-Tex Devil

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

But in talking with a friend last night, he made me realize one thing, and both the Gold Cup and Nations League finals prove this: He gets the teams to play hard/grind.

yeah, the guys play for him.  Gergg reminds me of Jason Garrett.  his Cowboys teams underachieved, but they played hard for him.  they liked him.  and they didn't quit on him. so Gergg has that going for him, which is good.

2 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

yeah, the guys play for him.  Gergg reminds me of Jason Garrett.  his Cowboys teams underachieved, but they played hard for him.  they liked him.  and they didn't quit on him. so Gergg has that going for him, which is good.

Yep, if you watch any of the USMNT Behind the Crest youtube videos, these guys have bought in.  This feels like the first time the players are all on the same page, all seem excited to play for and with each other since the 2014 World Cup.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

What's your take on Busio?

Super talented but super green - needs to mature a bit physically and with his decision making. Playing in Serie A should help with that. 

Gioachinni has some nice potential, too. With all of these young guys I think the question going forward is which of them end up setting themselves apart from the rest of the pack - not if any of them do (which has been an issue in the past). 

46 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

He was really good in this tourney and just seemed like the most skilled attacking guy we had on the pitch by a mile.  

But when/if he is playing with the ones, based on this tourney and the very limited Schalke stuff I’ve seen, he seems to be a bit of a ball stopper to use an NBA term.  It looked good, and was probably needed, in this tourney. But in Qatar, is he going to try to dribble through 3 guys when Pulisic and Gio are screaming for the ball making runs to the box?

Hoppe would NOT be a winger with the USMNT. 

Hoppe would be a #9 who makes cuts behind players, runs onto through balls and fires home goals. A VERY POOR MAN's Erling Haaland.

His German training would work well with the German(ic*) training of Gio Reyna, Christian Pulisic, Weston McKennie, Tyler Adams, and Brenden Aaronson*.

Look at the 3 goals of his hat trick Erlier[sic] this season. He's #43. Very poor man's Erling Haaland, but you see the runs.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I doubt this is really an unpopular opinion.   Also, even if he were not a ball stopper, his touch and passing are not good enough to play with our 1s.  It would be a major overreaction to think Hoppe is ready to displace Sargent or any of our other leading attackers.  But, he obviously has some really positive qualities and worked well with the diminished lineup we fielded in the Gold Cup.  Hopefully he continues to improve and can contribute some in WCQ when there a lot of games in quick succession and we will need some depth.     

• Hook 'Em 2