USMNT 2021

Napoleon

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/usmnt-friendly/2021/3/17/22335641/usa-usmnt-roster-march-friendly-jamaica-northern-ireland

I'm surprised not to see Siebatcheu or Hoppe.

Very happy to see Musah and Otasowie. Lleget is meh. And Acosta is a head scratcher for me.

In this scenario, Dike might back Sargent at striker for the Jamaica match. Not bad for him. In fact, Dike getting heavy minutes against Jamaica is a good thing because they are a physical team.

It will be a certainly interesting playing eleven for the Wales matchup.

Edited by UDontKnow

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Yeah that's not a good excuse, Beerholder. You have Sargent for one match only, too.

I mean, that's the entire point. Several players are only there for one match (which is the same match that Hoppe and Siebatcheu would have been available for. Reyna, Sargent, and Weah are all going to be playing in that game. There just isn't room for Hoppe and Siebatcheu to get time, so we called in other players who will actually play against Northern Ireland.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

So what formation do we roll out vs Wales Northern Ireland?   Only forwards available are Dike, Pulisic and Gioacchini. 

8 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/usmnt-friendly/2021/3/17/22335641/usa-usmnt-roster-march-friendly-jamaica-northern-ireland

I'm surprised not to see Siebatcheu or Hoppe.

Very happy to see Musah and Otasowie. Lleget is meh. And Acosta is a head scratcher for me.

In this scenario, Dike might back Sargent at striker for the Jamaica match. Not bad for him. In fact, Dike getting heavy minutes against Jamaica is a good thing because they are a physical team.

It will be a certainly interesting playing eleven for the Wales Northern Ireland matchup.

8 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Since Weah isnt available for Wales Northern Ireland, I'd think he replaces Sargent or maybe starts on the wing for Jamaica.   

8 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Musah could also play the wing vs Wales Northern Ireland, although going by Greggg's comments on him, he like him more in central midfield.

8 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Yeah that's not a good excuse, Beerholder. You have Sargent for one match only, too.

6 hours ago, goatsaag said:

I mean, that's the entire point. Several players are only there for one match (which is the same match that Hoppe and Siebatcheu would have been available for. Reyna, Sargent, and Weah are all going to be playing in that game. There just isn't room for Hoppe and Siebatcheu to get time, so we called in other players who will actually play against Northern Ireland<= CORRECT

1) We played Wales last November and they had no desire for a rematch, so we will be playing Northern Ireland.

2) Have 5 strikers who can only play one position in the same game is a little ridiculous. So Siebatcheu & Hoppe will be invited sometime in the near future. That does not seem odd.

3) Kellyn Acosta is fast. I'm not a huge fan, or at least haven't been for the last 3 years, but Gregg likes him in a midfield position where he can fly all over the field, so he's getting another look. 

4) Not interested in seeing Acosta, Sebastian Lletget, or Aaron Long, but I guess that with so many players either not being called in (McKennie) or having to return after the first match (Tyler Adams, John Brooks, Reggie Cannon, Chris Richards, Gio Reyna, Josh Sargent, and Tim Weah) spurred Gregg into calling in people who I don't care to see.

I would have rather seen Mark McKenzie (Genk in Belgium) rather than Long, but maybe he would have been restricted to only the first match as well and so there was no room for him.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

What happened to Ulysses?

Word is he hurt his ankle.  Was Tessman the next best fit?  

This roster seems to be shoe-horned.  Perea leaves Colombia for US, so he has to make the team.  Cardoso chooses US, and he must make the team. Yueill at one time was first choice 6 when Adams was out, so he makes the team.  Dotson is a 6.  That's 4 players who play the 6 on a 20 man roster.  Sure seems that Perea had an inducement for switching.  Dotson can play some outside back if the guys are injured and maybe never sees the field.

Yueill is captain so is he an 8 with Cardoso as enforcer 6?  Hope I'm wrong, but not confident with this roster against Mexico.  CR game is up in the air today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/17/2021 at 9:45 AM, UDontKnow said:

Decent, but it's too soon to start Dike. I think we'll see Siebatcheu given the timing of his commitment.

it's never too soon to start anyone if they are in form, fit for purpose, and projected to be in the set-up, pool or squad in the current cycle for which said 3rd-tier friendly is targeted.

chris wondolowski has left the chat.

On 3/17/2021 at 10:16 AM, Ted Lange said:

So what formation do we roll out vs Wales?   Only forwards available are Dike, Pulisic and Gioacchini. 

pulisic was given 10 with chelsea for a reason but it didn't go so well obviously.

he was give the US 10 for the same reason and i hope he finds a home where he gets the keys and goes back to the middle.

reyna like his dad and pulisic are both tens that can be used topwide in a 433 but the best use of their skills would be in the middle with a solid enforcer as their dog (not messi the perro, but a fetching dog).  the fed lists both as forwards.  i don't think that's their best deployment.

10 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

I like Sam Vines.

I really like Jesús Ferreira. 

I really dislike Djordje Mihailovic.

I trust Jackson Yuell.

Everyone else I'm all "WHO in the F are these guys?"

Tessman isn't anymore close to being a like-for-like with Llanez. Llanez is always a threat somewhere in the front line, but usually in the 7/11, but can play a 9 like Josef Martinez at Atlanta United (from what I remember). Tessman is a really solid 6/8 midfielder who makes reliable, safe passes. They would have different position coaches. Hopefully some of the people I've never heard of make big impressions.

I'm liking these call ups. Cappis is from Katy and came up through FC Dallas with Chris Richards. Glad he got his visa situation sorted out so he could keep playing in Denmark.

It's especially good to get Siebatcheu in uniform because he just committed to play for the good guys.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 1