USMNT 2021

Napoleon

4 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Weston scored what appears to be the winner vs Milan today. Up 3-1 now in the 94th.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

2nd would have been the winner.

Still a huge goal. He's been balling out for them.

This is hopefully the ESPN video link for Weston’s goal. 

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=4281463

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Holy shyt that Steffan save vs manu  was siccck

#3 on Sportscenter's Top 10 last night.

It makes up for that gaff of picking up a back pass.

(Though I will say that I thought that that back pass slightly glanced the foot of the opposing player, but no one else did, so I guess not.)

Union send Mark McKenzie to Europe

6474a5516e927cfa82b6fdd28b86eb70

Dan Roche
Thu, January 7, 2021, 10:24 AM CST

Union send another star to Europe originally appeared on NBC Sports Philadelphia

The Union made it official Thursday, transferring defender Mark McKenzie to Belgian club to KRC Genk, a deal worth a reported $6 million.

He is the second homegrown Union player transferred to Europe this offseason, following Brenden Aaronson being sent to Austrian squad Red Bull Salzburg on Jan. 1, a deal that was consummated back in October.

McKenzie, who was raised in Bear, Delaware, was a part of the franchise pipeline for a decade, signing up to play for Union Juniors at the age of 11 and making his MLS debut during the 2018 season at the age of 19.

In all, McKenzie played 48 games for the Union (46 starts), scoring twice and notching three assists. He was named to the MLS Best XI and was runner-up for MLS Defender of the Year. He also played his first two career games for the U.S. men’s national team this past year.

“Mark has been a reliable and skilled center back, one of the best defenders in our league this year,” Union head coach Jim Curtin said. “His dedication to training, learning and drive to improve paired with his passion, moral grounding, and personality off the field, makes him an invaluable member of any team and locker room. He will most certainly be missed at the Union, but I am so proud of him and have no doubt Mark will excel with Genk." 

Thursday’s move could prove even more beneficial for the Union in the long term. They included performances bonuses in the deal, as the team also will get a percentage of any future transfer fees, should McKenzie get sold to another team down the road.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/union-send-mark-mckenzie-europe-162420132.html

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Italians getting their dicks hard over signing American soccer players. What a world.

FC Dallas has done pretty well developing national team level Right Backs and Central Midfielders that European teams want to sign.

They learned from McKennie that they have to show that they will sell you young or the most talented players won't sign on for a full contract in Frisco.

Sidetrack into FC Dallas talk...

Between sponsorship and selling players, I would think that FC Dallas is making money even if they only actually get about 2,000 butts in the stands for most games... of course, a more claustrophobic stadium setup would add to the atmosphere and provide much more exciting game-watching experience, but I don't see them putting overhangs over the seats anytime soon.

They could play at The Star while an overhang is being installed though. It's close and seats about 25,000 people. They could also just seat people on the side of the stadium NOT having its overhang installed this season and easily move the 1,000 to 2,000 living fans to whichever section they want.

Edited by Napoleon

Guardiola heaps praise on USMNT’s Steffen

zack-steffen-man-city-save.jpg

Joe Prince-Wright

Fri, January 8, 2021, 8:24 AM CST

USMNT goalkeeper Zack Steffen has received glowing praise from Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola.

Steffen, 25, has stepped in admirably for usual first-choice goalkeeper Ederson in recent games. The Brazilian star tested positive for COVID-19 in late December and has been self-isolating ever since.

After making his Premier League debut at Chelsea in a 3-1 win last week, Steffen starred in City’s 2-0 League Cup semifinal win against Manchester United at Old Trafford Wednesday, pulling off a fine save from Bruno Fernandes early on.

“He [Steffen] has settled incredibly well to the dynamic of the group. He listens in training. He made an incredible save in the first half from Bruno Fernandes, but his other actions, like with the ball, he did really well,” Guardiola said.

How much will Steffen play in the second half of the season?

Steffen will play in Man City’s FA Cup game against Birmingham City on Sunday, and that will be his seventh appearance of the season for City.

It is likely he will play in the FA Cup in the remaining months of the 2020-21 season and that could mean another five outings for Man City, if they reach the final and Ederson doesn’t come in for the final few FA Cup games.

That experience would be invaluable for the young American goalkeeper.

Even if his future doesn’t lie with being the number one at Man City (Ederson, 27, is probably one of the top five goalkeepers on the planet) he has proven he can play at the Premier League level and a loan move to a midtable PL club is surely his next move.

Spending last season on loan at Fortuna Dusseldorf in the Bundesliga clearly helped his development and as well as making fine saves, his always-impressive distribution has also improved.

The USMNT need Steffen to being playing regularly and the way he’s stood in for Ederson proves he will be doing that for another team in the Premier League, or in another of Europe’s top leagues, next season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/guardiola-heaps-praise-usmnt-steffen-142407052.html

Edited by Napoleon

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

FC Dallas has done pretty well developing national team level Right Backs and Central Midfielders that European teams want to sign.

They learned from McKennie that they have to show that they will sell you young or the most talented players won't sign on for a full contract in Frisco.

Sidetrack into FC Dallas talk...

Between sponsorship and selling players, I would think that FC Dallas is making money even if they only actually get about 2,000 butts in the stands for most games... of course, a more claustrophobic stadium setup would add to the atmosphere and provide much more exciting game-watching experience, but I don't see them putting overhangs over the seats anytime soon.

They could play at The Star while an overhang is being installed though. It's close and seats about 25,000 people. They could also just seat people on the side of the stadium NOT having its overhang installed this season and easily move the 1,000 to 2,000 living fans to whichever section they want.

Yeah it really is nuts that a MLS team with one of the lower (pre-covid) attendances is  making some of the biggest transfer moves selling USMNT players.  Also FC Dallas is making sure the pipeline can continue.  I think they sent some of their players to go train with Bayern.  Hopefully Bayern will see a player they want to make a move on.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Guardiola heaps praise on USMNT’s Steffen

zack-steffen-man-city-save.jpg

Joe Prince-Wright

Fri, January 8, 2021, 8:24 AM CST

USMNT goalkeeper Zack Steffen has received glowing praise from Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola.

Steffen, 25, has stepped in admirably for usual first-choice goalkeeper Ederson in recent games. The Brazilian star tested positive for COVID-19 in late December and has been self-isolating ever since.

After making his Premier League debut at Chelsea in a 3-1 win last week, Steffen starred in City’s 2-0 League Cup semifinal win against Manchester United at Old Trafford Wednesday, pulling off a fine save from Bruno Fernandes early on.

“He [Steffen] has settled incredibly well to the dynamic of the group. He listens in training. He made an incredible save in the first half from Bruno Fernandes, but his other actions, like with the ball, he did really well,” Guardiola said.

How much will Steffen play in the second half of the season?

Steffen will play in Man City’s FA Cup game against Birmingham City on Sunday, and that will be his seventh appearance of the season for City.

It is likely he will play in the FA Cup in the remaining months of the 2020-21 season and that could mean another five outings for Man City, if they reach the final and Ederson doesn’t come in for the final few FA Cup games.

That experience would be invaluable for the young American goalkeeper.

Even if his future doesn’t lie with being the number one at Man City (Ederson, 27, is probably one of the top five goalkeepers on the planet) he has proven he can play at the Premier League level and a loan move to a midtable PL club is surely his next move.

Spending last season on loan at Fortuna Dusseldorf in the Bundesliga clearly helped his development and as well as making fine saves, his always-impressive distribution has also improved.

The USMNT need Steffen to being playing regularly and the way he’s stood in for Ederson proves he will be doing that for another team in the Premier League, or in another of Europe’s top leagues, next season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/guardiola-heaps-praise-usmnt-steffen-142407052.html

I'm a United fan and that save by Steffen against Bruno was world class.  I know he's City's #2 but I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually makes a move to a club where he can be starter every week.

15 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Schalke is about to break a two month losing streak in the Bundesliega and is fighting to avoid relegation. Hoppe's goals aren't meaningless and I would argue it's just a rung below tournament experience for the youngster. Way to go Matty Hoppe!

26 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I ha always been a huge fan of Hoppe’s since I first heard of him 10 minutes ago. 

All I can say is if he can play like that once a month he can help save them from relegation.  Also he might be our #9.  Dude is a clinical finisher.

• Hook 'Em 1

Friends,

For several years, there's been a feeling that the USMNT has been wandering in the dark. For me, it was not seeing a new generation step up and replace our aging roster.

Pulisic brought a ray of hope, but he was just one small, possibly injury-prone man. Then came the 2018 qualification cycle, our subsequent elimination, and concerns that we might be in for a lengthy stretch of disappointment.

However, this crop of young talent ... they've only managed a handful of matches thanks to COVID, but the creativity and fluidity they've shown promises a new dawn.

And seeing as how many of them are getting significant minutes with some of the world's most prestigious clubs, one can't help but wonder if we're on the verge of something wonderful.

Now, could we please have some matches?

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Friends,

For several years, there's been a feeling that the USMNT has been wandering in the dark. For me, it was not seeing a new generation step up and replace our aging roster.

Pulisic brought a ray of hope, but he was just one small, possibly injury-prone man. Then came the 2018 qualification cycle, our subsequent elimination, and concerns that we might be in for a lengthy stretch of disappointment.

However, this crop of young talent ... they've only managed a handful of matches thanks to COVID, but the creativity and fluidity they've shown promises a new dawn.

And seeing as how many of them are getting significant minutes with some of the world's most prestigious clubs, one can't help but wonder if we're on the verge of something wonderful.

Now, could we please have some matches?

I mean we've got friendly games with Serbia and maybe Canada coming up (Canada isnt confirmed yet).  Gold Cup this summer and Olympics (technically only U24s can play in it).  Then WC qualifiers start in sept 2021.  We've got Concaf nations league as well which is for a trophy.  Other than WC qualifiers I think the Olympics are the one we need to perform well at the most.  Performing well or winning the olympics in soccer would help ignite USMNT fandom.  We have so many young players it is actually possible to put together a really good side for that competition.  Also a medal finish in the olympics would help the players in the future know they have the potential to perform well.  We've got matches on the way that will matter its just going to be a bit longer.  On another note, I wish the usmnt would quit playing the gold cup and taking the invitation to play in the Copa America every time its offered.  

7 hours ago, Tex48 said:

I mean we've got friendly games with Serbia and maybe Canada coming up (Canada isnt confirmed yet).  Gold Cup this summer and Olympics (technically only U24s can play in it).  Then WC qualifiers start in sept 2021.  We've got Concaf nations league as well which is for a trophy.  Other than WC qualifiers I think the Olympics are the one we need to perform well at the most.  Performing well or winning the olympics in soccer would help ignite USMNT fandom.  We have so many young players it is actually possible to put together a really good side for that competition.  Also a medal finish in the olympics would help the players in the future know they have the potential to perform well.  We've got matches on the way that will matter its just going to be a bit longer.  On another note, I wish the usmnt would quit playing the gold cup and taking the invitation to play in the Copa America every time its offered.  

I agree, it would be great to win the Olympics!

On a side note... 

Do you know the last time we even QUALIFIED for the Olympics?

Baby steps. Baby steps.

8 hours ago, Tex48 said:

My last comment was just a COVID-related whine. US soccer is on the cusp of something new, maybe even wonderful, yet we can't watch it unfold right now cuz of the pandemic. Soon, though.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

I agree, it would be great to win the Olympics!

On a side note... 

Do you know the last time we even QUALIFIED for the Olympics?

Baby steps. Baby steps.

Its Been 84 Years GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Jokes aside. Let's delve a little bit deeper into Olympic qualifyingtournament, shall we?

U-23 Team Roster (aka Olympics Teams Roster) (it is not the most up to date, but still gives an idea of the players under consideration): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_men's_national_under-23_soccer_team#Current_squad

-It is a shame that some of our best talent happens to be under 23, but either will not be or are not eligible for the U-23 team. It will be a squad largely filled with MLSers. 

How the US qualifies for the Olympics (must play in enemy territory): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_CONCACAF_Men's_Olympic_Qualifying_Championship

2020 Summer Olympics (obviously to be played in 2021; only Japan is assured its berth by virtue of being the host nation): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_–_Men's_tournament#Group_stage

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Its Been 84 Years GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Jokes aside. Let's delve a little bit deeper into Olympic qualifyingtournament, shall we?

U-23 Team Roster (aka Olympics Teams Roster) (it is not the most up to date, but still gives an idea of the players under consideration): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_men's_national_under-23_soccer_team#Current_squad

-It is a shame that some of our best talent happens to be under 23, but either will not be or are not eligible for the U-23 team. It will be a squad largely filled with MLSers. 

How the US qualifies for the Olympics (must play in enemy territory): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_CONCACAF_Men's_Olympic_Qualifying_Championship

2020 Summer Olympics (obviously to be played in 2021; only Japan is assured its berth by virtue of being the host nation): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_–_Men's_tournament#Group_stage

I would put the importance of games in this order:

1) World Cup Qualifying

2) Olympics

3) Olympic Qualifying

4) Gold Cup

5) Nations League

I'm not sure of Nations League's importance, so it may swap places with the Gold Cup.

The importance of Games for the clubs where our top players ply their trade.

1) Champions League matches

2) League matches

3) National Cup Matches

4) [rest]

5) USA World Cup Qualifying

6) [rest]

7) Whatever they HAVE to release the players for.

That's it.

Edited by Napoleon

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Its The Mirror, about as bad of a source as you can get.

Transfermarkt has him valued at 2.2. 5 isn't that crazy when looking at how US valuations have transpired the past 12 months. Plus $5 million is couch cash for most of these teams. 

14 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Transfermarkt has him valued at 2.2. 5 isn't that crazy when looking at how US valuations have transpired the past 12 months. Plus $5 million is couch cash for most of these teams. 

I'm saying if Tottenham had any interest, one of their beat writers would be breaking it. The Mirror routinely makes up shit for transfer rumors. $5 million would normally be couch change but it isn't really right now with all the financial fallout from COVID.

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Damn Juve probably wont lift the Scudetto this year.  Crazy that the two Milan clubs are the top 2 teams in Italy this year.  I thought Lazio or Atlanta would be ahead of both of them.   I thought it was going to take AC Milan a lot longer to get back into form but they probably lift the Scudetto this year. 

1 hour ago, Tex48 said:

I think if he keeps on getting starts every week he should stay if Chelsea will loan him.  What are yalls thoughts?  

Agreed. He needs consistent minutes to stay in the Center Back pool and it seems like he's on the outside looking in at the moment (bench is Aaron Long and Mark McKenzie). And if anything, he avoids the same fate as Pulisic under the fuckery of Lampard. 

https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/pep-guardiola-zack-steffen-pre-birmingham-city-fa-cup-63745720

Ederson may return from self-isolation before Sunday’s clash with Birmingham City and whilst Guardiola admits he remains the Club’s No.1, the manager has been impressed with Steffen’s performances.

“He can fight for No.1,” said the City boss.

“He can put pressure on Eddie, but Eddie is the No.1 in this position right now. If he performs well, he stays No.1.

“But we cannot forget he [Steffen] played at Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford and solved all the situations he faced brilliantly.”

I hate City but would love for Steffen to be their #1.  

On 1/10/2021 at 3:04 AM, Tex48 said:

On another note, I wish the usmnt would quit playing the gold cup and taking the invitation to play in the Copa America every time its offered.  

This would be huge but it's all about the grift

11 minutes ago, WBT said:
On 1/10/2021 at 2:04 AM, Tex48 said:

On another note, I wish the usmnt would quit playing the gold cup and taking the invitation to play in the Copa America every time its offered.  

This would be huge but it's all about the grift

Better yet, send the B or C team to the Copa del Oro and our best players to Copa America.

Since the Confed Cup is no more, the Gold Cup is essentially meaningless. Pitting our best against the Western Hemisphere's elite would be valuable exposure. It would also be a treat to fans as we don't often get to see our Yanks play the Argentinas or Brazils of the world.

And it might lead to some parity within CONCACAF--knowing the U.S. or Mexico will win must get old for the rest of the federation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Better yet, send the B or C team to the Copa del Oro and our best players to Copa America.

Since the Confed Cup is no more, the Gold Cup is essentially meaningless. Pitting our best against the Western Hemisphere's elite would be valuable exposure. It would also be a treat to fans as we don't often get to see our Yanks play the Argentinas or Brazils of the world.

And it might lead to some parity within CONCACAF--knowing the U.S. or Mexico will win must get old for the rest of the federation.

Spot on. I think still sending the B or C team to the gold cup would be great for player development and creating more cohesion between players.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Red, White, and Blue kool-aid

I will piss on El Tri every opportunity I get

SIAP 

Great watches thanks for posting.

IMHO, this kind of hits what I was pointing out last page. We had (and hopefully the MLS will pick it up and keep going with it) a good youth development league. But that quickly tops out when players reach their late teens. We don't have the top end talent that will help keep our players growing, so they want to move on and go to Europe.

The Mexico v US angle is interesting. I haven't done a lot of research, but just the very few examples I am pulling up, the big difference i am seeing with the current US success and the Mexican's in Europe is age when going over:

US players - All of the big US born players now moved over in late teens and are now flourishing

Mexican players - moving over in early 20s (the examples I've looked at Javier Hernandez 22, Raul Jimenez 23, Hector Herrera 23, Andres Guardado 26) and doing well, but we don't see the big star yet

That gap is a long time in soccer years and a bigger thing is that it is a formative time when it comes to learning the strategy of the game. During that time they are learning more of that Western Hemisphere rough game, it dominates Central and South America. They don't get that European skill play.

IMHO the biggest separation of the top countries in Europe and just about everyone else (except Brazil) is the soccer education that these players get from when they develop their talent (their teen years) to when they learn the strategy/skill game. Everyone around the world can get talent to cut it's teeth. But having an education system setup for players in that shift from young player to adult player is what most places don't have, the way Europe does. I would point more to African countries, because their federations and leagues don't have the money to develop these. So you have these wildly talented guys that don't really "get" the game because they haven't been forced to (their talent is more than enough to get them by).

Going back to the question at hand - why US players more than Mexican players? Because they are transitioning in the European system. If a Mexican player went over at age 16-18, I bet he would be making the same exact strides as US players.

Just my $.02

• Hook 'Em 1