USMNT 2021

Napoleon

Not so fast Juve? Roma has entered the building and has allegedly moved into the lead. Currently Roma is 4th and Juventus is 5th (separated by a point) in the Serie A table. Belgian Division A table toppers Brugge (with a 9 point lead over 2nd place Genk) also reported to have interest. Someone else please chime in on the best case scenario for Reynolds.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/4295403/roma-set-to-beat-juventus-for-usmnt-star-reynolds-sources

19 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Not so fast Juve? Roma has entered the building and has allegedly moved into the lead. Currently Roma is 4th and Juventus is 5th (separated by a point) in the Serie A table. Belgian Division A table toppers Brugge (with a 9 point lead over 2nd place Genk) also reported to have interest. Someone else please chime in on the best case scenario for Reynolds.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/4295403/roma-set-to-beat-juventus-for-usmnt-star-reynolds-sources

$10 million to an MLS club for a homegrown talent is insane. That's TWICE FC Dallas' annual wage bill. 

Has anyone ever gone for close to that much coming from the MLS? 

10 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

It's his best chance (and his last chance) to make a case for the MNT.

His current worst case scenario place in the national team is being the first offensive sub, so I wouldn't really call a loan in the Championship to be his last chance to make a case for the national team.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Issue for Reynolds was on time payment to FC Dallas.  Apparently Juve wanted to pay in June or pay over a period of time.  FC Dallas wants cash now so I think Roma wins out because they are willing to pay up front.  I think some financial group bought them out a year ago so they aren't exactly hurting for cash.  Plus they probably take a champions league spot this year so they will get another infusion of cash for next season.  I still don't see him going to Brugge because I assume Juve's financial situation is worse than Juve or Roma.  They will probably pay at a later date as well.  Also interesting thing to note was Juve's plan to loan Reynolds to Fiorentina.  I wonder if to a degree this was a financial one.  Fiorentina pays his wages for the first 6 months and Juve don't pay FC Dallas until June.  I think they are holding out until they get their league money to pay up and any cup winnings.  I think their financial situation might be worse than ppl realize.  

Edited by Tex48

3 hours ago, Tex48 said:

Issue for Reynolds was on time payment to FC Dallas.  Apparently Juve wanted to pay in June or pay over a period of time.  FC Dallas wants cash now so I think Roma wins out because they are willing to pay up front.  I think some financial group bought them out a year ago so they aren't exactly hurting for cash.  Plus they probably take a champions league spot this year so they will get another infusion of cash for next season.  I still don't see him going to Brugge because I assume Juve's financial situation is worse than Juve or Roma.  They will probably pay at a later date as well.  Also interesting thing to note was Juve's plan to loan Reynolds to Fiorentina.  I wonder if to a degree this was a financial one.  Fiorentina pays his wages for the first 6 months and Juve don't pay FC Dallas until June.  I think they are holding out until they get their league money to pay up and any cup winnings.  I think their financial situation might be worse than ppl realize.  

Roma is American owned.

Deep pockets.

I would rather Juventus get off of their asses and pay up. They are owned by FIAT/Ferrari/other Italian company things... they can afford to pay up.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If he was trying to make a case for the MNT he should have just stayed in the MLS.

Maybe he sees the writing on the wall that MLS players are seen as lesser players and that the USMNT doesn't need any on the team.

Perhaps he realizes that he will get shown up in national team camps because he won't be used to playing at the same pace as players who are younger than he is.

Maybe he realizes that it's time to try to get a European payday before it's too late.

Whatever the reason, it's nice to see that he's finely taking his pampered ass to Europe.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Maybe he sees the writing on the wall that MLS players are seen as lesser players and that the USMNT doesn't need any on the team.

Perhaps he realizes that he will get shown up in national team camps because he won't be used to playing at the same pace as players who are younger than he is.

Maybe he realizes that it's time to try to get a European payday before it's too late.

Whatever the reason, it's nice to see that he's finely taking his pampered ass to Europe.

I was kidding.

7 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Josh Sargent doesn’t want us to forget about him.

1) I thought that I recognized that hair and absolutely shitty defense and sure enough, Mattéo Guendouzi has landed at Hertha Berlin after being a surefire first XI at Arsenal.

2) Cracker of a shot by Sargent.

3) Hertha's #4 moved past the ball right as Josh was swinging his foot, which resulted in the keeper not seeing that Josh was going to put a slight fade on the ball rather than a draw. As he sees the ball in the air, he has no clue that it will be going to his left until it is WAY too late.

4) Josh was probably thinking "I can do what that Hoppe is doing.", and I think that he can too. He just hasn't been doing it. Hoppe has as many goals in 3 starts as Josh has in 31 starts over two seasons. 

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Hoppe has as many goals in 3 starts as a lot of BL players do in their last 31. 

Then a lot of BL players (though I was focused on strikers) had better worry about a call up to the USMNT.

It might be Gold Cup and Nations League for them.

On 1/22/2021 at 5:56 PM, Napoleon said:

I would rather Juventus get off of their asses and pay up. They are owned by FIAT/Ferrari/other Italian company things... they can afford to pay up.

I would rather Juventus fall into administration and see the club dissolve, because fuck Juve and their cunty ownership.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I’m guessing that when Brady was with the Patriots, they weren’t your favorite NFL team. 

I specifically hate Juve because the Agnelli family has been one of the main groups pushing for the formation of the European Super League. They can fuck right off. But yes, I don't like Brady or the Patriots/Bucs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/23/2021 at 2:46 PM, shadow_operative said:

Balogun scored a hat trick yesterday, including this badass solo goal:

man i want him in red, white, and blue.

What about his give-and-go with #8 right inside the box made gave you the impression that it was a solo goal?

4 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

At about the 1:43 mark, Weston McKennie heads in an awesome solo goal off of a corner kick.

Our boys had a good weekend.

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

What about his give-and-go with #8 right inside the box made gave you the impression that it was a solo goal?

Napoleon, i made my post at 2:46 pm yesterday. i'd either just woken up, was shithammered drunk, or both. either way, you can't go around expecting me to k is what i'm talking about. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

USMNT name squad with 10 uncapped players to face Trinidad & Tobago

A total of 10 uncapped players will be a part of the U.S. men's national team squad to take on Trinidad & Tobago to conclude the combined senior and U-23 team January camp.  

Both the USMNT and the U.S. U-23s have been convened in Bradenton, Florida for a combined camp to kickstart a busy 2021 campaign.  

The year will feature Olympic qualifying, and possibly the tournament itself, for the U-23s, while the senior team will feature in the Gold Cup, Nations League and, most importantly, World Cup qualifying.  

Head coach Gregg Berhalter called in a squad featuring an initial list of 12 senior players, with 26 U-23 players also joining the camp, which began on January 9.  

That combined squad has now been whittled down to a 25-player roster, which traveled to Orlando on Sunday for their clash with Trinidad & Tobago.  

Headlining the squad in terms of senior players are Jozy Altidore, Paul Arriola and Sebastian Lletget, who are joined by Cristian Roldan and Aaron Long as the only members of the team with more than 10 caps.  

One player who will not be involved is Los Angeles FC defender Tristan Blackmon, who will be unable to pursue his first cap after suffering a concussion in training.  

In total, the team has 10 uncapped players, including rising Orlando City striker Daryl Dike, Atlanta United defender George Bello, FC Dallas up-and-comer Tanner Tessmann and Andres Perea, the Orlando City midfielder who recently completed his one-time switch to represent the U.S.  

“These last two weeks have been an absolute pleasure. The hard work and determination demonstrated by the entire group confirms that the player pool is headed in the right direction,” Berhalter said. “As we transition to Orlando, we switch gears and focus on competing as we prepare to face Trinidad and Tobago.”  

A total of 15 MLS teams are represented, with Orlando City having four players in the squad for a match set to be held at their stadium, while 16 players are eligible for March's Olympic qualifiers.  

Here's a closer look at the full squad:

GOALKEEPERS: 
Matt Freese (Philadelphia Union)
JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
Matt Turner (New England Revolution)

DEFENDERS: 
Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy)
George Bello (Atlanta United FC)
Kyle Duncan (New York Red Bulls)
Aaron Herrera (Real Salt Lake)
Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls)
Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire FC)
Miles Robinson (Atlanta United FC)
Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids)
Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC)

MIDFIELDERS
Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids)
Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy)
Benji Michel (Orlando City SC)
Andrés Perea (Orlando City SC)
Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC)
Tanner Tessmann (FC Dallas)
Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes)

FORWARDS: 
Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC)
Paul Arriola (D.C. United)
Daryl Dike (Orlando City SC)
Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas)
Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids)
Chris Mueller (Orlando City SC)

https://www.msn.com/en-ae/news/other/usmnt-name-squad-with-10-uncapped-players-to-face-trinidad-26-tobago/ar-BB1d3bwf

Edited by Napoleon

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Pulisic has been playing too many minutes lately. 

If you mean he might start seeing better chances or be put in a better position to succeed then I might agree with you. 

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

Skipping Salzburg and going straight to Leipzig and yet the transfer fee is rumored to be "$2 million to $3 million"...  🙄 

That is a joke!

Great news, but RB is getting away with major shenanigans by moving him along within the system to different clubs without the player getting 10% of the transfer fee that they deserve.

Caden Clark transfer.png

Interesting Article about Arthur and McKennie: https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/juventus-arthur-talks-champions-league-life-with-pirlo-and-why-he-was-surprised-by-weston-mckennie/

But aside from these names, he has been most impressed by Weston McKennie, the 22-year-old American midfielder on loan from Schalke. "He has surprised me a lot," says Arthur, who made his debut for Brazil's senior team against the United States. "He is an extremely intense player, he's always running all over the pitch and helps defensively too. But he also scores a lot of goals, important ones for a midfielder. He's a very, very good midfielder and one of the best." 

Edited by Tex48
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

It's great for us fans of the MNT and more fixtures should theoretically lead to better team chemistry. But seriously what the fuck is the point of CONCACAF having both the Nations League and the Gold Cup??

Is the Nations League still going to determine qualification for the Gold Cup?

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/09/04/concacaf-nations-league-gold-cup-qualifying

ESPN Interview with 3G Beerholder (notable snippets and link to full interview transcript below).

ESPN: What do you make of Matthew Hoppe's play with Schalke? And what does he give you that's maybe a little bit different than some of the other forwards on the pool?

GB: So I need to continue to watch him, but it was just an amazing performance [against Hoffenheim], to be a teenager and score a hat trick in the Bundesliga. And for him, I think it's just the beginning. Now, it's about just continuing to perform. It's not about one performance, it's about the next performance and the next performance and the next performance. And I think he's got a good mindset and he's ready to do that. And most importantly, help the team. They're in a tough spot and know they need to get out of the relegation zone.

ESPN: And just in terms of his skill set?

GB: What I saw is really good movement behind the line. I think that was what was interesting to me that movement behind their back line. His movement in transition was excellent. The timing of it, the awareness of it. On the third goal, he had to adjust and take advantage of the space there. It was really high-level.

ESPN: Along those lines, is Yunus Musa any closer to making a decision?

GB: We've been in close contact with Yunus, and he's having a good season in Valencia. He's the guy that we hope to have in the program.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4297613/berhalter-ready-for-usmnts-busy-2021with-focus-on-trophiespoints-and-building-a-squad

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Is it time for him to move up?

Also a recent ESPN article on the 'National Team washout' Green: https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4299393/julian-greens-usmnt-plan-keep-kicking-butt-until-he-gets-another-call

Ideally they get promotion and he doesn't have to move.  They are in 4th rn.  They really need to make it 2nd for automatic promotion.  Otherwise they'll get the promotion/relegation playoff game if they can finish 3rd.