USMNT 2021

Napoleon

On 2/4/2021 at 7:26 PM, Napoleon said:

According to the FC Dallas page on the MLS Website, Justin Che is 17 and speaks ENGLISH, RUSSIAN, & GERMAN and is a Texas native.

W...T...F...?

He must have had eyes on going overseas for several years at this point.

https://www.fcdallas.com/players/justin-che

He has a German passport as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

i went and did your research for you.

you're welcome.

Wood has returned to Hamburger SV following a 2-year loan to Hanover 96.

this season he has 0 starts, 12 appearances, 135 minutes, 0 goals, and Hamburger are on top of the 2.bundesliga.

he's 1 of 3 first-team strikers on a side where service is not an issue, 46 for (1st), 25 against (6th), +21 (1st).

however i will guess he comes on in the last 10 minutes with a lead so he's not going to get many opportunities to score so it is unfair to draw any conclusions about his form.

his problem is 6 days before qatar22 he turns 30.

he is not edinson cavanni or miroslav klose, so the likelihood of him featuring in 26 at 34 is about 0% which means he will have to massively outshine other striker options for 22 to thus merit qualifying bandwidth of any kind this year.  pending some miraculous run of form that displaces the 2 guys in front of him this spring at Hamburger, he will fall below the line on earnie stewart's Big Board.

7 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Father is/was US serviceman and his mother was an East German double-agent. 

It all makes sense now. 

PEDESTAL: One of the greatest gifts that you can give a child is raising them to be multi-lingual from birth. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

12 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Image result for german passport meme

No idea if the above is true, but just in case

Image result for german passport meme

And he's got a younger brother coming up in the FCD academy.

NEO CHE

I'm liking the 2 yellow cards.

http://fcdl.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=7421976&player=528040732

Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 1.54.36 AM.png

Richards starting at lcb in first game eligible for hoffenheim. It’s on espn+. They’re down 1-0 but Richards not involved in goal against. He looks good. Made a terrific diagonal pass that unleashed an attack. The attack didn’t result in dangerous shot but he did his part. He plays like this for rest of season then long and miazga should be depth pieces. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

The first I have heard of this player. He's originally from the Houston area and will be moving back up to the Danish Superliga (looks like his previous club was relegated to the Danish 1st Division). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Cappis

Sounds like a combination of COVID and his former club, Hobro, kind of screwed him over the past season.

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/after-a-promising-start-to-2020-olympic-hopeful-cappis-now-stuck-in-limbo

He is close to a lock for 23, but he isn’t likely in the 11 unless there are injuries.    He only got 10 minutes today and it looks like he played out wide.   Lille is in 1st place and their isn’t gonna be many minutes for him up top as their 2 fwds are playing great.   

According to the internet, Weston McKennie is now 6'1", which makes him as tall as his teammate Cristiano Ronaldo.

It's nice to have such a big physical presence to go along with the speed and skill.

cristiano-ronaldo-of-juventus-and-weston

...I wonder if I'm 6'1" now.

I haven't measure since the pandemic shutdown, but I mean...

• Haha 1

I would have preferred Ireland, but a match in Europe is always a good thing. Hopefully this will be a MNT roster that is 100% Euro.

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/usmnt-friendly/2021/2/9/22274556/usa-usmnt-northern-ireland-friendly-2021?utm_campaign=starsandstripesfc&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Also interested to see who the second match opponent is.

Edited by UDontKnow

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

either that, or...

A5876F57-504A-45A3-8861-C6E094D64C08.jpeg

7ECF583C-07C4-49D0-A259-F21B10D1A976.jpeg

C9A874FD-099C-4123-AB9F-C71D25ACFDC0.jpeg

D10DCBB0-BF69-40FB-9EB3-8CA1FBBED32C.jpeg

F395D188-6BAE-44F3-BE2F-CCFF05CD2902.jpeg

cristiano-ronaldo-of-juventus-and-weston

So you think that when Cristiano is NOT posing for a photo and has no one to balance himself against, he still stands on his toes?

With his arms behind his back?

During a moment of silence?

Really?

cristiano-ronaldo-of-juventus-greets-wes

[announcer from Fletch]
"Weston McKinnie is 5'10", 6'1" with the afro."
[/announcer from Fletch]

NOTE: For non-photography/cinematographer people, McKennie is closer to the camera in this photo and the shot was taken from a low angle, so he appears to be taller in this photo than he would from a side-by-side photo or one taken from eye level... And he still is 3 inches shorter here.

In this image below, the player on the left is hunching a bit and lowering his head for delivery and the player on the right is looking up (with a puppy dog look).

140904751_10158798151496006_740996060491

I would wager that the guy on the left is not standing on his toes, but the angle of the shot and the proximity to the lens adds to the person on the left's perceived height superiority.

Whatever the real heights are:
1) Weston McKennie is NOT the same height as CR7.
2) Weston McKennie is NOT 6'1". (Though CR7 may not be either.)

IN SUMMARY: I think that playing with Cristiano Ronaldo, and watching him train, will help Weston McKennie for the rest of his career. To be able to see what this guy does to prepare for a match, not just during a match, is something that I wish all young USMNT players could witness. CR7 was a flashy winger who has morphed into one of the top strikers in the world. He doesn't have the speed or quickness that he once did,, but he has transformed himself into a top player at a different position and with a different skill set.

It reminds me of a 12 to 16 year NBA veteran who came into the league as a high flying slasher who can tries to make SportsCenter's Top 10 every night and transforms his game into a 85%+ free-throw shooter, is automatic on midrange jumpers, is a 40%+ 3-point shooter, sets excellent screens, makes the extra pass, and always boxes out his man to get rebounds without having to sky for them.

...I need meaningful US national team games... soon!

11 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

it's a continental 4-3-3

standard equipment

juergen out front shoulda toldya

Yup.  Just a pressing 4-2-3-1.   Advancing in the World Cup will require shielding our CBs.  Brooks is merely adequate at the elite international level and the other CB will be below average.  Although our talent level is rapidly improving, we will still need to rely on the counterattack against good international teams.  McKinnie will be given some license to operate in a box-to-box role while Adams serves as the constant DM shield for the CBs but we will cede possession and look to play on the break against good (not just great) Euro and SA sides.

On 2/11/2021 at 3:38 PM, Ted Lange said:

This pitch is absolute trash.   This looks like the US playing a central American team in CONCACAF WCQ.     Or Jerry World when they try to put down grass on top of the turf for a Gold Cup match.  

I was thinking the exact thing.  

From a distance, Dike reminds me a lot of Altidore.  I have no idea about his technical skill; however, he's certainly faster than Altidore.

11 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Between the Senior and U23 schedules, the 2021 Calendar will be a bear. The two teams might be involved in as many as 30 games, with 25-27 being likely.

In comparison, the US averaged 17.1 games per year since the year 2000 (setting aside the 2020 anomaly). The US has not played this many games since 2009, when they played 24 games across World Cup Qualifying, a Gold Cup, and the Confederations Cup.

With the sheer volume of players that the USMNT has, 25-27 games annually (split between senior and U-23 teams) is a must if US Soccer is interested in having the men's teams win trophies.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dogbreath said:

image.png.26ef6fff6e0bcb2abf30f6a407374935.png

So there is no automatic starter at striker? (Should be Sargent)

Hoppe is not listed as a striker. (Should be Tier 2)

Disagree on Reyna. (Should be Tier 1)

Disagree on Weah. He's showing up in limited minutes. (Should be Tier 1)

Green is not listed as a midfielder. (Should be Tier 2)

JMO, on Pomykal - has not been in full fitness for a while. (Should be Tier 3)

JMO, Cardoso - gaining more minutes for Internacional that is competing for league championship. (Should be Tier 2)

Ream is not listed a center back. (Should be Tier 2)

Yedlin is not listed as a fullback. (Should be Tier 2)

Hamid is not listed as a goalkeeper. Yes he's recovering from a sports hernia repair, but really need an older experienced GK in the fray. (Should be Tier 2)

Disagree on Johnson. Another option as an older experienced GK. (Should be Tier 2)

I'm sure I missed multiple names and can make additional arguments for Tier placements.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

So there is no automatic starter at striker? (Should be Sargent)

Hoppe is not listed as a striker. (Should be Tier 2)

Disagree on Reyna. (Should be Tier 1)

Disagree on Weah. He's showing up in limited minutes. (Should be Tier 1)

Green is not listed as a midfielder. (Should be Tier 2)

JMO, on Pomykal - has not been in full fitness for a while. (Should be Tier 3)

JMO, Cardoso - gaining more minutes for Internacional that is competing for league championship. (Should be Tier 2)

Ream is not listed a center back. (Should be Tier 2)

Yedlin is not listed as a fullback. (Should be Tier 2)

Hamid is not listed as a goalkeeper. Yes he's recovering from a sports hernia repair, but really need an older experienced GK in the fray. (Should be Tier 2)

Disagree on Johnson. Another option as an older experienced GK. (Should be Tier 2)

I'm sure I missed multiple names and can make additional arguments for Tier placements.

This thing has got to be old way too much of it is wrong.  There's no way Weah isn't your starting RW and both Hoppe and Sargent are tier 1 players.  Also Otosowie is definitely tier 2

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1