USMNT 2021

Napoleon

30 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Bayern needs its own Helipad or Runway in Frisco.

The Honduras match raised his fee by at least 50%, if it didn't double it.

1st Goal: Held up the ball & passed off to Pulisic, before racing forward to whiff on the ball that caused chaos before A. Robinson slotted it home.
2nd Goal: Classic #9 header on a cross
3rd Goal: Laid off the assist as he drew the defenders and keeper in... perfect time to be selfless. Strikers shouldn't always be, but this was perfect.
4th Goal: Low hard shot to the far post leads to keeper parrying the ball into the path of the on-plodding Sebastian "Too" Lle Get "To Quite" who slots the ball home

All that, along with the high press that he kept doing (because that's what he does with FC Dallas) even though Berhalter didn't exactly want that... because who the fuck knew what Berhalter was after in that match... should have teams salivating.

If he goes to a non Top Tier club, like Fiorentina, a sell-on clause is likely to be agreed up/FC Dallas will retain up to 50% ownership. If he goes to Bayern, then it is a full fee up front for US$30M or more. If going to Bayern, his transfer fee will blow Alphonso Davies' out of the water.

*NOTE: This is all speculation gained from years of experience reading the internet.

SERIE A NOTE: 6 Serie A teams are owned/controlled by Americans. This Wiki chart lists 5, because someone forgot newly promoted VENEZIA at the bottom of the list.

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 4.20.17 PM.png

USMNT's Premier League stars may miss World Cup qualifying match at Panama over U.K. travel ban

The British government is keeping Panama on its red list, which means the United States men's national team may have to play without star Christian Pulisic and several other U.K.-based players for its World Cup qualifier at the Central American nation on Oct. 10.

The U.S. plays at Panama between home matches against Jamaica on Oct. 7 at Austin, Texas, and vs. Costa Rica on Oct. 13 at Columbus, Ohio. Britain requires anyone visiting a nation on its red list to quarantine upon arrival in England for 10 days.

An Oct. 10 match in Panama followed by the game in Columbus would rule out Pulisic from playing for Chelsea in its Premier League match at Brentford on Oct. 16 and a home Champions League game against Malmo FF on Oct. 20.

U.S. coach Gregg Berhalter could be forced to leave Pulisic and other British-based players in the U.S. for training between the two qualifiers, which may cause Berhalter to bring a larger group to camp.

Pulisic was among five England-based players on the U.S. roster for the opening three qualifiers in September: a 0-0 draw at El Salvador, a 1-1 home draw against Canada and a 4-1 win at Honduras.

Pulisic injured an ankle during the second half at Honduras on Sept. 8. He missed Chelsea's 3-0 win at Aston Villa last weekend and a 1-0 Champions League victory over Zenit St. Petersburg on Tuesday. He will not dress for Sunday's match at Tottenham Hotspur.

"Christian Pulisic is in individual training and trying to come back as fast as possible to team training," Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel said Friday.

Other England-based U.S. players on the September roster were Manchester City goalkeeper Zack Steffen, Nottingham Forest goalkeeper Ethan Horvath, Norwich City forward Joshua Sargent and Fulham defenders Tim Ream and Antonee Robinson. Steffen missed the three matches because of back spasms and a positive COVID-19 test...

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4477344/usmnts-premier-league-stars-may-miss-world-cup-qualifying-match-at-panama-over-uk-travel-ban

NAPOLEON'S PERSON OPINION

ANTONEE ROBINSON is the only player out of those in England that would be a loss. He's become far-and-away our best Left Back.

Christian Pulisic is replaceable, Zach Steffen has been replaced. Josh Sargent weighs the team down. Tim Ream had a good game this past window, but it's fine if he can't travel. And there you go. (Ethan Horvath doesn't play anyway.)

If Joe Scally gets called up, or if we figure out how to protect George Bello (not requiring the CDs & DMs having to cover for Sergiño Dest would be a start), then we can survive one match without A. Robinson, but the others wouldn't even require adjusting the scheme... whatever the hell Berhalter has decided the scheme is going to be.

• Rage+1 1

For Pepi, give me Fiorentina over Bayern.  Training and environment at Bayern would be great. He’d become even more disciplined. But he wouldn’t play much. Probably get sent out on loan. Going to Fiorentina with a chance to get in the starting 11 from the start would be good. Plus, I have a soft spot for Fiorentina from the Batistuta days. Those were fun days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

For Pepi, give me Fiorentina over Bayern.  Training and environment at Bayern would be great. He’d become even more disciplined. But he wouldn’t play much. Probably get sent out on loan. Going to Fiorentina with a chance to get in the starting 11 from the start would be good. Plus, I have a soft spot for Fiorentina from the Batistuta* days. Those were fun days. 

*Bamo' Argentina!!

I have a soft spot for Fiorentina from the Giuseppe Rossi days.

Also, a childhood friend is in Florence this week with her family, another middle school friend has been living with her family in Florence for about a year or two, and finally a flatmate from my 7 weeks back in Argentina in 2015 is a bartender at a really nice hotel overlooking the river in Florence right now, so there's all that.

Oh, and I randomly recognized a girl I barely knew from a high school musical I was in who was waiting in line to see The David with her husband and saved about an hour or two by recalling her name, chatting with her, and then cutting in line along with my roommate from my hostel back in 1997, so I have fond memories from Florence. (And I didn't even mention that that's where I bought my first leather jacket... Piazza San Lorenzo... I noticed later that it was "Made in Turkey"... no wonder it was so cheap.)

Re: Pepi

If he goes to Bayern, he will play for their reserves, practice with amazing players, have amazing coaches, get late minutes in Pokal matches and make his Bundesliga debut before the end of the 2021-22 season. I'll take that. Obviously I would like him to play at the top level, but as long as he is getting great coaching and reserve matches for 6 to 12 months, I don't think that going to Bayern will hurt his development.

On 9/17/2021 at 6:33 PM, Napoleon said:

ANTONEE ROBINSON is the only player out of those in England that would be a loss. He's become far-and-away our best Left Back.

Christian Pulisic is replaceable, Zach Steffen has been replaced. Josh Sargent weighs the team down. Tim Ream had a good game this past window, but it's fine if he can't travel. And there you go. (Ethan Horvath doesn't play anyway.)

If Joe Scally gets called up, or if we figure out how to protect George Bello (not requiring the CDs & DMs having to cover for Sergiño Dest would be a start), then we can survive one match without A. Robinson, but the others wouldn't even require adjusting the scheme... whatever the hell Berhalter has decided the scheme is going to be.

Agreed that Robinson has turned into the clear solution at LB. 

Your continued opinion on Pulisic though - I must be watching a different game. Or you have a very loose definition of replaceable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just to take that a step further, realize that a judgement on "irreplaceable player" has been made after games against ...

538.jpg

... El Salvador, Canada and Honduras.

Let's tap the brakes here. This is not like some murder's row of even CONCACAF, this was arguably 2 teams that will finish at the bottom of the standings and while Canada is resurgent, they should not have taken points from us in that game.

And let's also not forgot the role that our "coaching" has played in these games, with a game plan that was ... ... ... well if anyone can explain it, it would be great.

I am not saying that Pulisic IS or ISN'T irreplaceable (BUT, right now he is our best player), but if you are making judgement on who is "irreplaceable" based on those 3 games, you're smoking crack.

• Hook 'Em 1

Can't remember if this had been posted yet, but this is a big change.   We dont even have a U20 coach currently, at least that I am aware of.

ON THURSDAY, CONCACAF announced that it had made a radical change for its qualifying path for both the next U-20 World Cup and the Olympics. Instead of separate tournaments, CONCACAF will now have a single U-20 qualifying tournament that will determine the region’s spots for the 2023 U-20 World Cup and the 2024 Olympics.

To add a sense of urgency to this matter, this one major tournament will be held this upcoming summer at a venue/location still to be determined.

The format is simple. There are group stages followed by knockout stages. The four semifinalists qualify for the U-20 World Cup. The two finalists qualify for the Olympics.

There are several reasons why this is a massive departure from the past – and several things to think about.

read more at....

http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/concacaf-sets-critical-2022-summer-tournament-to-qualify-for-both-u-20-wc-and-olympics

Sounds like anyone 2003 and older would be eligible.... so we COULD run out Pepi, Reyna, KDLF, Musah, Busio, Hoppe....

Edited by Ted Lange

3 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

I think this is just in general for the Sounders, not for the Nats. He's probably not in the top 12 on the USMNT depth chart for forwards anymore. 

Yes, but we're in the USMNT thread and the tweet got hashtagged USMNT. Seems like an update just for the sake of an update. Can't imagine he gets another meaningful cap for us.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Is he still a USMNT forward? When was his last callup? 

3 hours ago, shnsajax said:

I think this is just in general for the Sounders, not for the Nats. He's probably not in the top 12 on the USMNT depth chart for forwards anymore. 

If he were healthy, he would play at least two matches this coming October cycle.

Not a huge fan, but he does cross the ball before he loses it. 

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Y... Can't imagine he gets another meaningful cap for us.

😆

I’m guessing that you haven’t been paying attention much since Gregg has taken control of the team.

I would bet $10 to win $5 that says that we will see Jordan Morris under Gregg.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yes, but we're in the USMNT thread and the tweet got hashtagged USMNT. Seems like an update just for the sake of an update. Can't imagine he gets another meaningful cap for us.

He was a starter for the USMNT until he got hurt. He's obviously going to have to prove he's back at that level, but it would be shocking if he never saw another meaningful cap even with the increased competition at his position.

1 hour ago, goatsaag said:

He was a starter for the USMNT until he got hurt. He's obviously going to have to prove he's back at that level, but it would be shocking if he never saw another meaningful cap even with the increased competition at his position.

Ehh that was over two years ago when the nats had bottomed out and before his injuries, and even then his starts were sporadic. I mean I would love to see him regain his top form and surpass that as its great for us, but when you look at the current list of strikers and wingers where does he fit and with what formation?

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

If he were healthy, he would play at least two matches this coming October cycle.

Not a huge fan, but he does cross the ball before he loses it. 

😆

I’m guessing that you haven’t been paying attention much since Gregg has taken control of the team.

I would bet $10 to win $5 that says that we will see Jordan Morris under Gregg.

1 hour ago, goatsaag said:

I'd bet both of you a lot of money he never gets another cap. The fact that Gerg finally caved and threw Pepi in the mix makes me pretty confident on that bet. I appreciate what Jordan did for us in the past but he doesn't have a spot on any 23 of ours going forward.

3 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Ehh that was over two years ago when the nats had bottomed out and before his injuries, and even then his starts were sporadic. I mean I would love to see him regain his top form and surpass that as its great for us, but when you look at the current list of strikers and wingers where does he fit and with what formation?

Agreed. Morris is (or was) fast, physical and energetic ... but extremely limited technically.

Wouldn't be surprised if Gergg calls him up--because Gergg's methods are inscrutable to me--but I think Morris has jumped the shark wrt the USMNT.

If he gets healthy and we continue to have injuries,he is 100% getting another cap.  Pulisic/Reyna/Aaronson/Weah seem to be the current 2 deep.   Of course 3/4 are constantly injured, and 2 could switch to AM.   So who is the next group.  KDLF, it seems maybe Hoppe, I think in GGGs eyes, Morris is right there.   

• Hook 'Em 1

Quick hit on the Morris thing - if he get's healthy and can contribute minutes as a striker - he absolutely is getting called up. His age and experience give him value. If he can get his ability back to close to his preinjury ability, he is going to see some time. He won't be a first choice, but he will be in the mix.

• Like 2

Morris (healthy) > > > Roldan

Does Roldan see the field?

Morris (healthy) > > > Lletgett 

Does Lletgett see the field?

Morris (healthy) > > > healthy Zardes 

Does a healthy Zardes see the field?

Some of you guys are delusional and in denial.

These new kids need a chaperone on the field. I have no idea why you think that Greg would choose erratic youth over a dependable veteran.

Edited by Napoleon

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

I will put 2 rounds of beers up on this bet. If Morris is healthy, no way he doesn't get a call up. Despite our depth, it is still our thinnest position. He will make a gameday roster. In the right situation, he will get a cap.

He will absolutely get a late game cap whether it is “the right situation” or not.

Gregg will want to see him in live action to then determine whether he is ready for a start. 

There is ZERO chance that Gregg moves on from a healthy Jordan Morris.

NIL! NEIN! NADA! NONE!

A source with knowledge of the situation has revealed to 90min that three clubs from Italy, two from Germany and two from England are showing an active interest in signing Pepi. Two of the three Italian clubs are in this season's Uefa Champions League, as is the case for both German clubs. All clubs involved play in their respective top-flight leagues.

Bayern is probably one of the German teams, given the relationship with FCD. Wonder if Dortmund is the other, knowing Haaland will be leaving in the near future. 

Fiorentina or Roma is the non-CL team from Italy. 

I’m curious about the EPL teams. Leicester could be a fit with Vardy getting long in the tooth. 

3 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Bayern is probably one of the German teams, given the relationship with FCD. Wonder if Dortmund is the other, knowing Haaland will be leaving in the near future. 

Fiorentina or Roma is the non-CL team from Italy. 

I’m curious about the EPL teams. Leicester could be a fit with Vardy getting long in the tooth. 

He sort of makes sense for Chelsea - but we tend to develop from within rather than take on projects. Not sure he could play at that level anytime soon. We pretty much only have one true 9 on our roster with Tammy and Giroud departing before this season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

He sort of makes sense for Chelsea - but we tend to develop from within rather than take on projects. Not sure he could play at that level anytime soon. We pretty much only have one true 9 on our roster with Tammy and Giroud departing before this season. 

that would blow people's minds. fuck, i'd buy a Pepi Chelsea jersey if they signed him.

• Hook 'Em 1

that would be an incredible move for Pepi.  storied club with a reputation for training and developing young talent, and then selling them to bigger clubs.  regular spot in Champions League.  great place for him to live.  ESPN+ shows the Eredivisie so we can watch games.  i'm sure they have other young strikers, but he'll be able to compete for PT.  Ajax isn't throwing money at a kid just to sit him.

oh man, this is bad ass.

53 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

that would be an incredible move for Pepi.  storied club with a reputation for training and developing young talent, and then selling them to bigger clubs.  regular spot in Champions League.  great place for him to live.  ESPN+ shows the Eredivisie so we can watch games.  i'm sure they have other young strikers, but he'll be able to compete for PT.  Ajax isn't throwing money at a kid just to sit him.

oh man, this is bad ass.

Eric ten Hag is one of my favorites, though I worry about him leaving for a bigger club.

I could see a lot of these sold with Pepi's name on it as well:
Bob Marley Inspired Ajax Third Kit To Be Available Soon – DancehallMag

• Hook 'Em 3

I appreciate the heads up, let’ me schedule around the release so I’m not on a work call and blurt out GD MF GGG.

Also after last window hopefully Gregg learned his lesson and calls up more players this time, 30 seems like the least  amount I’d take .  Between how often we have guys injured, Covid, and yellow cards you need at least 3 guys that you feel good with playing any giving position.   For me 6 FB, 5 CB, 3 6s, 5 8s, 5 wingers and 3 CF plus 3 Gk 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You don't necessarily need 3 guys, at every single position, like 3 LB.   You do need 3 players you are extremely comfortable with either starting or playing important minutes off the bench.

In these 3 game windows, with the ridiculous 2 yellow suspensions, covid, injuries, it is very easy to end up needing your 3rd guy to play significant minutes.   It happened last window. Because Gregg only called up 4 LB/RBs, by the time we got to the Honduras match we were in a bind due to injuries and he ended up starting Adams at RB.  That should never ever happen when you can call an unlimited amount of guys to camp.   

It is entirely foreseeable to see that coming and extremely easy to plan for.    If everything goes perfect, you only need 2 at each spot.  1 guy starts 2 matches and subs on 1, 1 guy starts 1 match and subs on 2.   

But look at say the 6.  Adams is iffy AND he is on a yellow, chances that he doesn't get knock or a yellow during these three games, 1/3?  And what if Acosta picks up a yellow in the first game or gets injured.  Id say you really need to 4 guys you are ok with at the 6.   

The same for any position.  Take wingers, we lost 2 to injury last time.   

I dont see any sort of downside to bringing 30+ guys to camp.   IF we are worried about club situations, we could let 4-5 head back to their club after the Panama match, assuming we are healthy and dont have 3 guys on yellow card accumulation.

My Roster.  

LB/RB: Robinson, Dest, Yedlin, Bello, Scally, + Arjajo if he accepts a call up

CB: Brooks, Richards, Robinson, Mckennie, Sands (6 cover) and pick one of Zimmerman, Miazga, etc...

6: Adams, Acosta and someone not named Yuiell

8s Weston, Yunus, Lletget, Roldan, Green, LDLT

Wingers, Pulisic, Aaronson, Weah, Konrad

Wingers/CF Hoppe, Sargent

CF PEPI, Pefok, Zardes