Heights/Garden Oaks/Oak Forest

Nice Guy Eddie

Thought I would start this thread back up on the new site, and add Heights to the title since the boundaries, news or issues are blurred across the Greater Heights area.

Has anyone else noticed a ridiculous amount of traffic increases over the past few months in Central Houston or is it just me?  My commute is basically Shepherd Drive (or any of the North-South streets) and the bottlenecks at every major intersection and buffalo bayou is out of control.   What's really odd is some of the East-West streets are empty.  This morning I turned onto Westheimer from Commonwealth (Waugh) and Westheimer barely had any cars in sight.  How can Commonwealth have 25 cars backed up a light but no one on Westheimer.  Strange.   

Thanks for re-starting the thread.

Next couple of months are gonna suck now that they're tearing up the eastbound 610 North frontage road. It's shut-down to 1 lane from Shepherd all the way to Airline. Just a disaster. in the evenings there's a line of cars stretching from Durham damn near all the way back to Office Depot.

Edited by Storm the Field

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Thanks for re-starting the thread.

Next couple of months are gonna suck now that they're tearing up the eastbound 610 North frontage road. It's shut-down to 1 lane from Shepherd all the way to Airline. Just a disaster. in the evenings there's a line of cars stretching from Durham damn near all the way back to Office Depot.

Yeah, I ran across this yesterday afternoon going from south on Durham turning onto the frontage road to take 610 East.   Gonna have to avoid this area.  Maybe drive over to Ella or even TC Jester.  ugh.

On another subject the new shops/restaurants at Yale/Heights/7th is really taking off.  I've been to Postino twice.  Decent crowd.  However someone is going to get run over on Heights Blvd.  Pedestrians are treating it like a 4-way stop. It isn't.

On 4/26/2018 at 10:15 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Thought I would start this thread back up on the new site, and add Heights to the title since the boundaries, news or issues are blurred across the Greater Heights area.

Has anyone else noticed a ridiculous amount of traffic increases over the past few months in Central Houston or is it just me?  My commute is basically Shepherd Drive (or any of the North-South streets) and the bottlenecks at every major intersection and buffalo bayou is out of control.   What's really odd is some of the East-West streets are empty.  This morning I turned onto Westheimer from Commonwealth (Waugh) and Westheimer barely had any cars in sight.  How can Commonwealth have 25 cars backed up a light but no one on Westheimer.  Strange.   

I think your issue with the N-S traffic is that they've just started construction on the west loop.  So people are starting to avoid that clusterfuck and choosing other N-S routes. 

As for the feeder on 610N by us, they did the north side pretty quick, so I don't think that will be much of a long term disruption.

1 hour ago, Ldogg53 said:

As for the feeder on 610N by us, they did the north side pretty quick, so I don't think that will be much of a long term disruption.

I hope it turns out that way, but according to Transtar they're expecting lane closures through October 19. Gonna take them a few months to do the outside two lanes, then they'll have to turn around close the inside lane once that's done.

I’m sure 610 feeder road is part of the problem but I meant shepherd from GO to Westheimer.  It’s become a beating lately. 

Sometimes I can’t believe the amount of cars backed up at I10 and it’s not due to a train. Or perhaps a train 30 minutes before still is causing a problem.   

I hate to be the old timer that looks back on the good, old days when much fewer people seemed to live in this area. 

• 2 months later...

Finally:

Whole Foods Market 365 will open its first store in Houston and tenth store nationwide on Wednesday, August 22, 2018. The 30,000-square foot store is located at 101 North Loop West in Independence Heights. 

Whole Foods Market 365 stores offer exceptional value and unique products in a fun and convenient new format, all while maintaining Whole Foods Market’s rigorous quality standards including no artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners or preservatives, as well as no hydrogenated fats and no high-fructose corn syrup.

The Independence Heights store will feature an array of natural and organic products, Global Animal Partnership 5-Step Animal Welfare Rated meat, sustainably caught and responsibly farmed seafood, freshly prepared grab-and-go items and a variety of special diet options. 

“We can’t wait to join the Independence Heights community in Houston,” said Jeff Turnas, president of Whole Foods Market 365. “At Whole Foods Market 365, we take the neighborhood grocery store concept to the next level with plenty of great deals, exciting new products and convenient shopping options.”

The store will also feature two onsite restaurants, Peli Peli Kitchen and Juice Society as part of the Friends of Whole Foods Market program.

Also, new food option in the hood: The Aladdin's at 34th and Ella is having their soft opening this Thursday. 

On 5/8/2018 at 12:12 PM, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

took me thirty minutes to get from Althea across 610 this morning at 7:20 a.m.  The traffic is too damn high.  

yep.  very little has been done to alleviate traffic in the area, and in some cases the powers-that-be are pushing more cars in our area.  case in point is how they made a great exit/entrance for 45 and North Shepherd.   Most of that traffic flows through shepherd and 610 intersection.    in several ways, the GO quality of life has gone downhill over the last 15 years.   I've been thinking about moving away but may hold off a few more years.

• 6 months later...
11 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Today marks the end of an era for those of us up in this part of town. Last day in business for the shitty old HEB at 18th and TC Jester.

The new behemoth on Shepherd and 24th opens tomorrow.

That HEB was fantastic. 90% of the products I needed, 10x the convenience - small parking lot, small footprint, not very busy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

We're about 3 blocks from the old HEB, down Ella. I went to the Trader Joe's website and suggested they take over the old HEB building. It's the perfect size and would be an awesome addition to the neighborhood, IMO. 

Whoopspat needs to learn to love Foodarama. 

Pretty sure I read that 24 Hour Fitness has signed a long-term lease on the space vacated by HEB, but first the property owners will be doing renovations to the whole complex. 

3 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Pretty sure I read that 24 Hour Fitness has signed a long-term lease on the space vacated by HEB, but first the property owners will be doing renovations to the whole complex. 

Gaaaaaaah that sucks. But thanks for the info. The whole complex definitely needs a facelift however...which means that all the current occupants will be pushed out, I wager .

Fuckers better not squeeze out my local liquor store. Roma for life. 

The Kroger on shepherd is fine.   Nothing special about it but it has basically everything and a decent amount of parking.   Unlike the one on 43rd.  I’m counting on the new HEB to pull the crowds out of both of those stores which should make them better.

I haven’t even tried the Whole Foods 365 yet.  And the Aldi is being built.   I guess we’re hitting the golden age of the area grocery stores.   Much better than when I moved here in 2005.

Wife hated the whole foods when she went, pretty lacking on options they offer and what they did wasn't very great. At least her opinion. Haven't been to HEB yet but will likely go there if/when I have a bunch of things and in no rush. Almost seems like an event to go to that one

24 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

At the new HEB now. Parking was a bit of a shitshow, but I got lucky. Have to. Believe it won't always be this bad. Grabbed a Cafe Cubano at The Roastery while I made up my list. Now heading into the store.

Yeah I was there earlier. Crazy inside.  I think most people are there just to look around.   There's also a new commercial foundation being poured across the street at NW corner of 24th and Shepherd so its a complete mess with construction, shoppers and police directing traffic.   

The Kroger's parking lot on Shepherd looked deserted.

On 2/2/2019 at 10:21 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yeah I was there earlier. Crazy inside.  I think most people are there just to look around.   There's also a new commercial foundation being poured across the street at NW corner of 24th and Shepherd so its a complete mess with construction, shoppers and police directing traffic.   

The Kroger's parking lot on Shepherd looked deserted.

I made it out, but barely.  There might have been a ton of people just looking around, but the lines at the checkouts were really long.  And they had all the stations opened and each were 4-5 people deep.  

On 2/1/2019 at 5:39 AM, Dutchrudder said:

This is great. Everyone in the Heights will get used to going to that new HEB and won't need the one on Washington when it opens. Hopefully we will finally have a good grocery store near by.

i can walk to the washington one.  i'll have sprouts, walmart, heb, and a real whole foods all really close.  LA fitness eats all the parking at sprouts, unfortunately. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Read my 2019 hcad property value online. For my 14 years in GO, land values have always gone up, and my old house improvement value stayed the same. I could always argue the improvement value down but they don’t let you argue land value.   This year, land value dropped dramatically and the improvement went sky high.  Great opportunity to save on taxes by fighting it.