Heights/Garden Oaks/Oak Forest

Nice Guy Eddie

If anyone is looking for somewhere to watch the Texas-LSU game on Saturday, swing by Great Heights Brewing. I’ll buy you a beer. We’ll be giving a $1 off all beers all night for anyone wearing Longhorn gear. Our awesome resident food truck (The Purple Flour) will be on hand serving amazing pizzas. 938 Wakefield in Garden Oaks

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/28/2019 at 11:45 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

I live exactly 4 blocks east of the kroger shepherd and am fucking glad that HEB is taking some of their business. 

No way am I going to HEB on a quick run or to pick up a few things. Def. at least a 20 min event if I have to go there

Username does not even remotely check out. 

• Like 1

The Aldi on Shepherd looks to be opening soon.  That should relieve some pressure from all of the area grocery stores. And with large apt (condo) complexes starting to be built along Shepherd and Durham, we need more options.

on a side note, is the Shepherd/Durham traffic north of 610 due to drivers using Shepherd as a "shortcut" between I45 and 610? 

33 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The Aldi on Shepherd looks to be opening soon.  That should relieve some pressure from all of the area grocery stores. And with large apt (condo) complexes starting to be built along Shepherd and Durham, we need more options.

on a side note, is the Shepherd/Durham traffic north of 610 due to drivers using Shepherd as a "shortcut" between I45 and 610? 

I'm excited to see what Aldi has to offer. The only thing we're really missing is a Trader Joe's. I was super bummed the old HEB pantry was demolished for a 24 hour fitness at Ella and 20th. Would have been perfect for a Trader Joe's.. 

That was my understanding. My buddy used to do that trick all the time, and even with traffic there now, it's still better than waiting on 45. 

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm excited to see what Aldi has to offer. The only thing we're really missing is a Trader Joe's. I was super bummed the old HEB pantry was demolished for a 24 hour fitness at Ella and 20th. Would have been perfect for a Trader Joe's.. 

That was my understanding. My buddy used to do that trick all the time, and even with traffic there now, it's still better than waiting on 45. 

19th and TC Jester is still a wasteland. Gonna take 5-10 more years before it becomes Washington Ave pt 2

13 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

19th and TC Jester is still a wasteland. Gonna take 5-10 more years before it becomes Washington Ave pt 2

I mean, I hope it never becomes Washington 2.0, but there's already about 8 bars (some with food) within a 5-6 block radius there.

Providence, McIntyre's, The Boot, Cedar Creek, Bungalow Heights, Wicklow Heights, Shady Acres Saloon, Big Star Bar, Eureka Brewing. If you add in Hubcap Grill and Crisp, that's a lot of stuff to do, and most of it is crammed within literally 3-5 walkable blocks. Additionally, you've got another Brewery opening up on 17th and Bevis St., and supposedly another beer Market Company eventually at 19th and Bevis. Presslee's or however the shit it is spelled should be open any day now, and Drift Bar looks like it will be done in a few months, and that's right in between Cedar Creek and The Boot.

If you think that's enough to constitute calling it a Washington 2.0, then I'd say you're looking at more like a year. The Good/Bad news is that there is no room for road development, and no fucking parking, so maybe that keeps it from getting too big...But man I just wanted a Trader Joe's. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, I hope it never becomes Washington 2.0, but there's already about 8 bars (some with food) within a 5-6 block radius there.

Providence, McIntyre's, The Boot, Cedar Creek, Bungalow Heights, Wicklow Heights, Shady Acres Saloon, Big Star Bar, Eureka Brewing. If you add in Hubcap Grill and Crisp, that's a lot of stuff to do, and most of it is crammed within literally 3-5 walkable blocks. Additionally, you've got another Brewery opening up on 17th and Bevis St., and supposedly another beer Market Company eventually at 19th and Bevis. Presslee's or however the shit it is spelled should be open any day now, and Drift Bar looks like it will be done in a few months, and that's right in between Cedar Creek and The Boot.

If you think that's enough to constitute calling it a Washington 2.0, then I'd say you're looking at more like a year. The Good/Bad news is that there is no room for road development, and no fucking parking, so maybe that keeps it from getting too big...But man I just wanted a Trader Joe's. 

The space was definitely perfect, but that area, with the 6pack complexes, townhomes, and frat daddy bars is definitely heading that way. 

Im still shocked that GOOF doesnt have much

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

that parking lot is going to be way too small for a 24 hour fitness. 

when sears gets demolished i hope the sign remains.  that thing is awesome. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

HEB owns that real estate, I think. No way they were gonna rent to a competitor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

HEB owns that real estate, I think. No way they were gonna rent to a competitor. 

i'm not sure about that

BRE RETAIL RESIDUAL OWNER I LLC
1 FAYETTE ST STE 150
CONSHOHOCKEN PA 19428-2081

looks like that company is associated with food town.  might be old gerlands locations

Edited by elfenix

• 2 weeks later...

Aldi opens 10/3. I'm sure I'll be an occasional patron since it's right near the house I'll be moving into next year.

https://theleadernews.com/garden-oaks-aldi-set-for-oct-3-grand-opening/?fbclid=IwAR02oYro9u1wt2fryBeL4y8vDi-TTpSMJtH0Gx81HDyAuHcWVUKSPCBgU9o 

Also, more restaurant options in the area:

Savoir @ 14th and Yale is finally open after what seemed like 2+ years of construction. Menu looks good.

Jinya Ramen's newest location in Heights Waterworks now open. 

Some former Uchi chefs are opening up a sushi joint on White Oak right off Heights:

https://houston.eater.com/2019/9/16/20867977/handies-douzo-opening-heights-former-happy-fatz-location

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

What's up with the Burger Joint on Shepherd & 20th? I swear they finished the build out well over a month ago, but it has just sat there unopened ever since. Even the TVs look to be installed. 

Great question.  Missing the Astros playoff run was a big opportunity cost for them.  I assume they are either having some last minute money problems or struggling with permits. Can’t be cheap to be sitting on a unopened restaurant. 

Good point. I was just looking at it from the perspective of missing the early part of football season, but missing the Astros run has to hurt tremendously. I have some friends who are part of the group that opened Preslee's on 19th street in Shady Acres and I know they were gunning to open early enough to take advantage of the football season. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Just now, DCA_HORN said:
40 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
What's up with the Burger Joint on Shepherd & 20th? I swear they finished the build out well over a month ago, but it has just sat there unopened ever since. Even the TVs look to be installed. 

More like 2 years ago.

Oh they definitely started the project 2 years ago, but they stopped midway for like a year. I guess I used the wrong term, but the place looks ready to open as it stands now. 

They’re still trying to waive their contingencies. I’m about 70% sure they’re paying rent, and possibly have been for a little while. Word to the wise, if you start getting lease paper ready, and haven’t already at least started filing for permits, then you’ve made a big mistake.

On 10/27/2019 at 11:27 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

Good point. I was just looking at it from the perspective of missing the early part of football season, but missing the Astros run has to hurt tremendously. I have some friends who are part of the group that opened Preslee's on 19th street in Shady Acres and I know they were gunning to open early enough to take advantage of the football season. 

Gotta say, fucking loooooooooove Preslee's so far, man. They're still getting the kinks out of service, but my wife and I have been 3 times now because it's so close, and it's just a perfect space for dealing with a 2 year old. Last time they had a hiccup in the service (no salmon was available after I ordered it), so the guy doubled my wife's order for me, then came and offered us drinks/another meal, etc. I declined, because I was fine with a wedge salad with shrimp (their grilled shrimp is GOOOD, btw), and honestly I don't like to take free shit for honest mistakes. Dude came back 20 minutes later, wouldn't take no for an answer, gave us a gift card, insisted we get free ice cream, and generally was just nice. It really feels like these guys care, and the space is wonderful.

We were there opening weekend too, which apparently was like 1 day after one of the principal's wife gave birth to their kid, and he and his mom were there looking over service. Hard not to root for these guys. 

• Like 2

For anyone thinking of moving to GO/OF or even the Heights, traffic has been becoming the biggest problem over the past few years and seemingly worse every month. Don't move here!

My job requires I go to the Med Center a couple of times per month. This morning it was a full hour (zero exaggeration) from Garden Oaks to a Med Center parking garage. Just over 10 miles. No accidents, no trains, just normal traffic.  I'm going to have to start giving myself 80 minutes to allow for unexpected problems or grab some coffee.

I have co-workers that live in the suburbs that take about the same time but 3x the distance.  

I started a job in Midtown about 3 months ago. Traffic on 45 into downtown area seems to have gotten exponentially worse than I remember. Used to be if I waited until 9 or so, I could get from my house in GO to midtown in ~15 minutes in moderate, but flowing traffic. Now it stays completely bottle-necked, stop and go until 10 or later.  Did they shutdown several lanes somewhere since August?

Luckily we're moving to new digs off Washington over Thanksgiving and I will be able to just take surface streets the whole way.. Can go back to avoiding ever getting on freeways during commuting hours.

31 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

I started a job in Midtown about 3 months ago. Traffic on 45 into downtown area seems to have gotten exponentially worse than I remember. Used to be if I waited until 9 or so, I could get from my house in GO to midtown in ~15 minutes in moderate, but flowing traffic. Now it stays completely bottle-necked, stop and go until 10 or later.  Did they shutdown several lanes somewhere since August?

Luckily we're moving to new digs off Washington over Thanksgiving and I will be able to just take surface streets the whole way.. Can go back to avoiding ever getting on freeways during commuting hours.

Don't expect side streets to be much better. 

The only thing I can figure out is more people are going north-south in Central Houston . There are limited roads (610 W,  Shepherd, Waugh, Montrose and 45) that cross over buffalo bayou.  All traffic is funneled to those roads. 

And when Union Pacific sends a freight train down the Washington corridor during rush hour......  Someone with the RR should die when they do that.

53 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The only thing I can figure out is more people are going north-south in Central Houston . There are limited roads (610 W,  Shepherd, Waugh, Montrose and 45) that cross over buffalo bayou.  All traffic is funneled to those roads. 

And when Union Pacific sends a freight train down the Washington corridor during rush hour......  Someone with the RR should die when they do that.

This is exactly correct and has always been a problem. A north- south road from westheimer near willowick north through to ella would be great (but itll never happen)

also, lived inside the loop for 11 years, in the heights for the last 6. Traffic hasnt gotten worse, imo. 

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This doesn't feel too far off. My wife used to work at Rice. We lived in Shady Acres. She took Shepherd to Kirby all the way into Rice, and she said it was about 40 minutes or 45, and it was that way for years before she quit. 

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Every f***ing morning at either 630 or 645 am without fail. My commute is usually 20-30 minutes to Greenway and back. Fridays in the summer I can usually knock that down to it 10-15 minutes in the morning. 

Houston traffic in the summer/Christmas break is dramatically different. I'd imagine this is because private schools don't have buses, and HISD is terrible. 

While we're on the subject, does anybody have recs for mid rise/high rise living? Downtown looks to be the cheapest thus far. Schools don't matter, I can't imagine us having more than one kid. 

On 10/29/2019 at 3:08 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Gotta say, fucking loooooooooove Preslee's so far, man. They're still getting the kinks out of service, but my wife and I have been 3 times now because it's so close, and it's just a perfect space for dealing with a 2 year old. Last time they had a hiccup in the service (no salmon was available after I ordered it), so the guy doubled my wife's order for me, then came and offered us drinks/another meal, etc. I declined, because I was fine with a wedge salad with shrimp (their grilled shrimp is GOOOD, btw), and honestly I don't like to take free shit for honest mistakes. Dude came back 20 minutes later, wouldn't take no for an answer, gave us a gift card, insisted we get free ice cream, and generally was just nice. It really feels like these guys care, and the space is wonderful.

We were there opening weekend too, which apparently was like 1 day after one of the principal's wife gave birth to their kid, and he and his mom were there looking over service. Hard not to root for these guys. 

The bone-in ribeye for $25 caught my eye. That's Longhorn Steakhouse cheap. As long as they have cold beer, Preslee's could be regular rotation worthy. 

Shepherd and Durham gonna see some major construction in next few years.

https://theleadernews.com/crenshaw-federal-grant-awarded-for-road-reconstruction-in-heights/

A road reconstruction project that aims to transform travel in the Heights has been approved to receive federal funding.

U.S. Rep. Dan Crenshaw announced late last week that the Memorial Heights Redevelopment Authority’s Shepherd and Durham Major Investment Project, which plans to overhaul two major arteries in the Heights, has been awarded a $25 million grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation. 

Construction for the first phase of the project, which will reconstruct Shepherd and Durham between 15th Street and North Loop 610, is targeted to begin in 2022 and be completed in 2024. 

The plan calls for reconfiguring Shepherd and Durham — which are parallel, one-way streets running north and south — from four lanes each to three lanes apiece. Sidewalks on both sides of each street will be expanded from 4 feet to 6 feet, and 5-foot bike lanes will be added between the streets and one of their sidewalks. Landscape buffers, which will include trees planted 30 feet apart, will be created on both sides of the bike lanes and sidewalks.

The project also entails replacing the public utilities beneath each street with upgraded water and sewage lines and stormwater detention infrastructure.

The stretch from 610 to 15th is just Phase 1. Phase 2 will do the same from 15th to I-10 and then Phase 3 will continue from 10 to Memorial.

3 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Shepherd and Durham gonna see some major construction in next few years.

https://theleadernews.com/crenshaw-federal-grant-awarded-for-road-reconstruction-in-heights/

A road reconstruction project that aims to transform travel in the Heights has been approved to receive federal funding.

U.S. Rep. Dan Crenshaw announced late last week that the Memorial Heights Redevelopment Authority’s Shepherd and Durham Major Investment Project, which plans to overhaul two major arteries in the Heights, has been awarded a $25 million grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation. 

Construction for the first phase of the project, which will reconstruct Shepherd and Durham between 15th Street and North Loop 610, is targeted to begin in 2022 and be completed in 2024. 

The plan calls for reconfiguring Shepherd and Durham — which are parallel, one-way streets running north and south — from four lanes each to three lanes apiece. Sidewalks on both sides of each street will be expanded from 4 feet to 6 feet, and 5-foot bike lanes will be added between the streets and one of their sidewalks. Landscape buffers, which will include trees planted 30 feet apart, will be created on both sides of the bike lanes and sidewalks.

The project also entails replacing the public utilities beneath each street with upgraded water and sewage lines and stormwater detention infrastructure.

The stretch from 610 to 15th is just Phase 1. Phase 2 will do the same from 15th to I-10 and then Phase 3 will continue from 10 to Memorial.

From four lanes to three?! Terrific. 

Sounds like Shepherd and Durham will look very pretty except that traffic will be 25% worse by losing 1 lane.

I can appreciate the idea that we need more bike lanes, and I understand that biking looks fairly dangerous on many streets but there is little evidence that many Houstonians want to bike long distances.  My guess is that we are changing many stretches of roads to accommodate <1% of the public.  In theory I could bike 10 miles to work. but the chance I would ever do that is 0.

26 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sounds like Shepherd and Durham will look very pretty except that traffic will be 25% worse by losing 1 lane.

I can appreciate the idea that we need more bike lanes, and I understand that biking looks fairly dangerous on many streets but there is little evidence that many Houstonians want to bike long distances.  My guess is that we are changing many stretches of roads to accommodate <1% of the public.  In theory I could bike 10 miles to work. but the chance I would ever do that is 0.

I think the idea is more to go from four narrow lanes to 3 wide lanes flanked by wider sidewalks and with a dedicated bike lane. Another article on this story mentioned that Shepherd  and Durham have excessive rates of both auto/auto collisions and auto/pedestrian incidents. Texas Monthly did an article a few years ago about the negative effects of big, wide one-way streets that's worth a read.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/are-the-one-way-streets-in-our-city-centers-killing-neighborhoods-causing-crime-and-depressing-property-values/?fbclid=IwAR2JLnnQRr2WHO5lZCVikzJ3ynGQFQPrP1LRI6_rDsTR9ro1xQe1w4NIarI

putting something other than a stripe of paint between bike and vehicle lanes, why didn't anyone think of that before?

On 10/27/2019 at 11:27 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

Preslee's on 19th street in Shady Acres

i was wondering what was going in there

Edited by elfenix

Shepherd and Durham dont have problems with collisions in the lanes per se... the vast majority of collisions happen between cars going north/south and cars trying to shoot across going east/west

This project seems hilariously dumb and now, instead of only having to worry about looking at 4 lanes of traffic when trying to cross shepherd/durham, youll have  to also account for a bike lane and possibly more pedestrians

On 11/6/2019 at 2:43 PM, SydneyCarton said:

This doesn't feel too far off. My wife used to work at Rice. We lived in Shady Acres. She took Shepherd to Kirby all the way into Rice, and she said it was about 40 minutes or 45, and it was that way for years before she quit. 

It used to take me 25-30 min to go from Greenway Plaza to Rice Military. (4.6 miles)  Solely bc the only viable N/S option was Shepherd via Kirby.  I gave up and moved. 

Didn't realize there's a Total Wine opening up tomorrow between Studemont Kroger and Target.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/11/11/first-retail-tenants-to-open-in-houstonheights.html

Not quite Heights/GOOF but far closer than any other Houston location. Been saying for years that a full-size Specs or Total Wine would be warmly welcomed in our neck of the woods and would kill it. 

8 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Didn't realize there's a Total Wine opening up tomorrow next door between Studemont Kroger and Target.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/11/11/first-retail-tenants-to-open-in-houstonheights.html

Not quite Heights/GOOF but far closer than any other Houston location. Been saying for years that a full-size Specs or Total Wine would be warmly welcomed in our neck of the woods and would kill it. 

This. 

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The city took 4 lanes of Hardy (one way) where people were parking on the curb, added bike lanes and parking spaces and cut it down from 4 to 2 lanes.  There may be 2 people that actually bike on that street.   Potholes went unfilled as well.  But hey, new paint stripes!  

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Didn't realize there's a Total Wine opening up tomorrow between Studemont Kroger and Target.  

really wish they'd put the street through back there so you don't have to fight your way through I-10 (or cross the tracks) to get from target to kroger

14 hours ago, elfenix said:

really wish they'd put the street through back there so you don't have to fight your way through I-10 (or cross the tracks) to get from target to kroger

Yeah.. I work off Sawyer Street. being able to access that through back streets without going down to Montrose and through Kroger would be fucking wonderful. Maybe there will be connectors opened up as they complete the new apartment constructions that are literally all over the area right now. 

Houston (GOOF) beer drinkers:

Great Heights 2nd Anniversary Party is tomorrow (Saturday). Come drink beer with us.

Special tappings:
Bourbon Legend BBA English Barleywine
Second Anniversary BBA Imperial Stout
Haze Not Hate Hazy IPA (Citra, Mosaic, Vic Secret, Sabro)
Space Stuff Hazy DIPA with Blood Orange & Grapefruit (collaboration with True Anomoly)

Plus:
Commemorative Glassware
Live Music

• Like 1

I checked out the new Aldi's on Shepherd, having no idea what I was walking into. It's a very different store.

• Shopping carts are available for a 25 cent refundable deposit
  • no hand held baskets
  • no free bags at the checkout. bring your own, or walk out with groceries in your hand

selection is limited but prices looked to be about 25% cheaper than Kroger for what I was buying.

33 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I checked out the new Aldi's on Shepherd, having no idea what I was walking into. It's a very different store.

• Shopping carts are available for a 25 cent refundable deposit
  • no hand held baskets
  • no free bags at the checkout. bring your own, or walk out with groceries in your hand

selection is limited but prices looked to be about 25% cheaper than Kroger for what I was buying.

Lol. Funny you mention this. I did this like a month ago or so when it first opened. And I had a pretty similar reaction...different. 

The shopping cart thing blew me away. But I was more taken aback by the fact it was dimly lit and half the stuff was being sold out of shelves still in the original shopping boxes. Felt like I was in a seedy kind of warehouse at times. I was going because I heard they had great organic fruit and vegetable selection, and I was underwhelmed. I didn't even know what to do with their wine brands. Not sure it's the store for me, but I'm glad you posted this, it reminds me I need to go back and try to get their advent wine calendar that was so popular last year...

...and it looks like they're sold out already. 

14 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:

Looks like you guys haven't been to a german market before.

Not many. I expected a Trader Joe’s-like store,given they’re relation to each other, and that proved to be wrong. Disclaimer, I’ve only been to the Trader Joe’s on shepherd/Alabama which is much more a standard grocery store.

I’ve noted that there few cars in their parking lot while driving by Aldi around 5:30 or 6p. Bad sign but perhaps they’re slow to catch on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...