Heights/Garden Oaks/Oak Forest

Nice Guy Eddie

16 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

What's being built next to McIntyre's off of Bevis between 19th & 20th?

I don't have any new information, but like 2 or so years ago that property was sold and was supposed to become another outpost for Beer Market Co. I'm assuming they finally got their financing in order and started renovations. But that's old news, it could have been in turnaround and sold to someone else. This is where you miss Swamplot. 

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is where you miss Swamplot. 

RIP

On 11/21/2019 at 1:51 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

no free bags at the checkout. bring your own, or walk out with groceries in your hand

after reading that, in places with bag bans in place, that a large number of people weren't using bags at all (either disposable or reusable), i decided they're mostly useless for a lot of people.  when you're in a store, you have a cart.  you can take that cart out to the parking lot at most places.  then you deposit the items in your trunk.  then you drive home and park right next to your house.  the only thing bags do is keep items from rolling around in your trunk and give you fewer trips from your car into your house.  which can be easily replaced by a cardboard box or plastic bin. 

Edited by elfenix

On 11/13/2019 at 8:02 PM, elfenix said:

really wish they'd put the street through back there so you don't have to fight your way through I-10 (or cross the tracks) to get from target to kroger

On 11/14/2019 at 10:55 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah.. I work off Sawyer Street. being able to access that through back streets without going down to Montrose and through Kroger would be fucking wonderful. Maybe there will be connectors opened up as they complete the new apartment constructions that are literally all over the area right now. 

giphy.gif

crockett now has a ramp to oliver street.  as of yesterday has some plastic barricades across it while the apartments are being completed.  but it's there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, elfenix said:

giphy.gif

crockett now has a ramp to oliver street.  as of yesterday has some plastic barricades across it while the apartments are being completed.  but it's there.

Wait, how does that work? Those streets don't intersect and are far away from each other? Help me understand where this bridge is, kind sir.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wait, how does that work? Those streets don't intersect and are far away from each other? Help me understand where this bridge is, kind sir.

right next to the SW corner of target.  only needed about 10 yards of new pavement.  i called it a ramp because there's a little bit of an elevation change. 

2 minutes ago, dhornf said:

Jellyfish, sushi place,  just opened in old Flying Pho spot. Will be interesting to see if it works out.

Just saw something about that. I had no idea that was even a thing and I feel like I've driven by there fairly recently. I keep pretty well up to date on area restaurant developments and never saw any mention of them. Doesn't look like they even have a website or any social media pages. 

2 hours ago, Mez2 said:

Saw it today for the first time driving to work today,  shocked flying pho didn't last. 

I know it's probably been mentioned but saw the halal guys sign up,  f the haters I dig that place. Happy to welcome them to the hood

RIP Toasted, Flying Pho’s predecessor. Fantastic bagels and smears, French press coffee, and fresh orange juice. If NY Bagel Shop and Hot Bagel are A Houston bagels, Toasted was a solid B+.

• Like 1

I assume the distillery will just be buying whiskey from the large alcohol manufacturers and then selling it at that location. I suppose they can start producing new whiskey at this site but it won’t be ready for some time. This adds some authenticity to the inevitable tour and tasting room experience.

fyi, buying alcohol from others and putting in your bottles is common.  Or even just put it thru 1 more distilling process at your location before bottling. I read a rumor that Tito’s does that latter.

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

RIP Toasted, Flying Pho’s predecessor. Fantastic bagels and smears, French press coffee, and fresh orange juice. If NY Bagel Shop and Hot Bagel are A Houston bagels, Toasted was a solid B+.

Fucking loved Toasted when i lived in GO. 

Interesting addition to Patrick's Hood. That area already is pretty unique, and it's wonderful that the brewers and occupants all seem to loosely get along. There's Greater Heights and now Walking Stick, which has a great space. Next to Greater Heights there's a wine tasting room with a solid space for kids that the wife enjoys. You can do a really nice little afternoon crawl between Petrol Station, Walking Stick, Greater Heights, and the winery. Lots of food options between the places. And if you're a young, you can go to Wakefield Crowbar. Now a Distillery? Great little area. 

Is the Flying Dutchman bar still around, or whatever that tiny bar was on that street way back? Also, Catty Corner bar till I die. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Interesting addition to Patrick's Hood. That area already is pretty unique, and it's wonderful that the brewers and occupants all seem to loosely get along. There's Greater Heights and now Walking Stick, which has a great space. Next to Greater Heights there's a wine tasting room with a solid space for kids that the wife enjoys. You can do a really nice little afternoon crawl between Petrol Station, Walking Stick, Greater Heights, and the winery. Lots of food options between the places. And if you're a young, you can go to Wakefield Crowbar. Now a Distillery? Great little area. 

Is the Flying Dutchman bar still around, or whatever that tiny bar was on that street way back? Also, Catty Corner bar till I die. 

Flying Dutchman is long gone now. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Big Star Bar, The Shiloh Club, and Tall Texan are actual, real dive bars and still going strong. 

Oh, I know my man. I've got too many Big Star blank nights to remember, and quite a few at the Tall Texan. Doesn't mean I still wouldn't have liked to have bellied up at the Dutchman. C&F Drive In also fits that description a little further east. 

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Toasted's breakfast bagels and lunchtime sandwiches were great, but their coffee was not good and tasted burnt, IMO, which is a pretty big problem if you're supposed to be a coffee shop. Whenever I'd stop by in the mornings to grab a quick breakfast, it was not uncommon for me to be the only patron.

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Toasted's breakfast bagels and lunchtime sandwiches were great, but their coffee was not good and tasted burnt, IMO, which is a pretty big problem if you're supposed to be a coffee shop. Whenever I'd stop by in the mornings to grab a quick breakfast, it was not uncommon for me to be the only patron.

Yep. It was never crowded. For the word go, I knew they were in trouble. 

Not the best coffee, but I’ll give them credit for using a French press. 

Oh, I know my man. I've got too many Big Star blank nights to remember, and quite a few at the Tall Texan. Doesn't mean I still wouldn't have liked to have bellied up at the Dutchman. C&F Drive In also fits that description a little further east. 
After stumbling accidentally into that blue house that is a cantina and the couple of shootings out side the lei low recently I've decided to hold off on c and f. How is it? The rose garden though is hilarious. Pretty sure it hasnt changed in 45 years.

Just now, DCA_HORN said:
7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

After stumbling accidentally into that blue house that is a cantina and the couple of shootings out side the lei low recently I've decided to hold off on c and f. How is it? The rose garden though is hilarious. Pretty sure it hasnt changed in 45 years.

Ha. Nothing so spectacular I'd go out of my way to go there and risk shooting. Ironically, a group of us ended up there a few years back (4-5) when we tried to Sunday Funday at Lei Low, and it didn't open until like 4 or 5. So we killed a few hours there playing pool. I'd say it's basically an analog to Catty Corner in a much more sketchy area of town: indoor/outdoor space, pool, cheap beer. It isn't worth getting shot over. 

Couple more area restaurant openings this week.

Halal Guys located in Junk Food Alley on Ella has soft opened. Official opening this weekend.

Yet another brand new sushi place opens today on 11th Street @ Ashland. https://www.handohtx.com/

Oh, and Jellyfish, which we were talking about last week, finally got a website. https://www.jellyfishsushi.com/

What is the deal with that La Hacienda place on 27th or thereabouts near Ella? It's a huge place in a hot neighborhood and it's been there a long time, but I have never, ever heard anybody talk about it. Tony's, Tecate, El Sombrero, and Alma Latina all have their fans, and I've been to all those places myself...But I've never been to La Hacienda and it's word of mouth is nil.

What is the deal with that La Hacienda place on 27th or thereabouts near Ella? It's a huge place in a hot neighborhood and it's been there a long time, but I have never, ever heard anybody talk about it. Tony's, Tecate, El Sombrero, and Alma Latina all have their fans, and I've been to all those places myself...But I've never been to La Hacienda and it's word of mouth is nil.

that’s a great question and i agree with everything you wrote. i have no clue.

I was there yesterday for lunch and last sunday for dinner. When you go as much as I do you get really good service and that's a big part of why I go, all the guys know me. The owner, Roy, gave me club seats to an Astros game for my birthday and will randomly ask me if I want to use their season tickets to various games. 

• Like 1

Pretty sure La Hacienda is a front for drugs. I’m amazed it’s still open. My buddy had his iPhone stolen there, left it at the table, got to his car, realized he left it, went back in. The entire staff shrugged their shoulders and said they hadn’t seen anything. 

also the food sucks. Real badly. If they’re still open with no one ever being there it has to be drugs. 

On 12/22/2019 at 3:00 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Pretty sure La Hacienda is a front for drugs. I’m amazed it’s still open. My buddy had his iPhone stolen there, left it at the table, got to his car, realized he left it, went back in. The entire staff shrugged their shoulders and said they hadn’t seen anything. 

also the food sucks. Real badly. If they’re still open with no one ever being there it has to be drugs. 

Probably better than Tony’s but... is it really? Tony’s serves breakfast so there is that. 

Cheap, good Mexican places are an endangered species in Houston. The word is out that you can charge $20 for fajitas and people will pay it all day long. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Probably better than Tony’s but... is it really? Tony’s serves breakfast so there is that. 

Cheap, good Mexican places are an endangered species in Houston. The word is out that you can charge $20 for fajitas and people will pay it all day long. 

I mean, their food sucked AND they were thieves and liars. 

agreed, cheap and quality is harder and harder to find. Tony’s is still ok. Alma Latina. 

but if you want a good deal you’re headed to east Houston. 

Went into Arandas the other night, in a kind of mellow, melancholy mood on a weekend night. I was starving and it was kinda late, and I thought I would have to deal with some raucous loud bachata music. Some of that modern crap you hear in the taquerias, and that is usually cranked up to ear-splitting on weekend nights. Nope: "Angel Flyin' Too Close to the Ground," "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way," and some Johnny freaking Paycheck. A magical pairing of honky-tonk and tacos al pastor.

I swear that Arandas is a different restaurant every time I go there, and that goes for the food too. It's like they have different recipes every time I go. 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, their food sucked AND they were thieves and liars. 

agreed, cheap and quality is harder and harder to find. Tony’s is still ok. Alma Latina. 

but if you want a good deal you’re headed to east Houston. 

Cantina Barba on Main is pretty reasonable. Similar menu and prices as Tierra Caliente, but a larger portion and better quality. They also make a really good cheeseburger for $5. 

Why Barba is constantly slammed is beyond me. I guess it’s too main stream for the hipsters. 

• Like 1