Heights/Garden Oaks/Oak Forest

Nice Guy Eddie

The redevelopment of the Shepherd corridor continues unabated.

Pretty much that entire stretch of junky old mechanic shops and car lots between Burger Joint (20th) and HEB (23rd) is currently undergoing demolition. 

The people that built Heights Mercantile have gutted that big warehouse complex at 6th and Shepherd and are building a huge dining/drinking/retail complex called MKT right off the hike and bike trail.

Something is finally happening with the GO Baptist Parking Lot. Trackhoes were there last week digging up all the old concrete. Think the developers are building a big strip center.

Here's a brochure on the plans for the old GO Baptist parking lot. http://www.gulfcoastcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Garden-Oaks-Brochure-e.pdf

I believe there are some limitations about hours or types of businesses that can go in there. IMHO the church was pretty greedy about selling that lot and expecting the neighborhood to go along without complaint. Background: the neighborhood sold that lot to the church a long time with the agreement that it would only remain a parking lot.  Since the neighborhood owned the right of usage, I always thought the neighborhood should have received some financial benefit to release that claim. But others wanted to be nice.

On 1/24/2020 at 3:59 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Here's a brochure on the plans for the old GO Baptist parking lot. http://www.gulfcoastcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Garden-Oaks-Brochure-e.pdf

I believe there are some limitations about hours or types of businesses that can go in there. IMHO the church was pretty greedy about selling that lot and expecting the neighborhood to go along without complaint. Background: the neighborhood sold that lot to the church a long time with the agreement that it would only remain a parking lot.  Since the neighborhood owned the right of usage, I always thought the neighborhood should have received some financial benefit to release that claim. But others wanted to be nice.

"Artisan Tacos." Thanks for the fucking laugh. JFC. 

I'm sure that Salata will crush it, though. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

On 1/24/2020 at 3:59 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The real victims are the Jazzercisers.

14 minutes ago, RoundRobin said:

True story. A few years ago there was an article in the Westchase Newsletter regarding the opening of a new Salata location. The headline: Salata is Ready to Toss Your Salad. 

At any point in time, some employee is about to quit an unhappy job/career.  Every once in a while, that person is an editor.

• 2 weeks later...
Le Grande Rue is fucking trash. Savoir is very good

that being said, that Alba location is suspect as fuck, and $20 sandwiches/salmon plates aint gonna cut it there

the alba location will be a lot better now that wakefield has gained some steam, the construction is done, and the number of townhouses within 2 blocks has tripled since LK closed. but you’re right about the menu price point. needs to be something closer to hughies prices than LK.

On 2/7/2020 at 3:15 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

that being said, that Alba location is suspect as fuck, and $20 sandwiches/salmon plates aint gonna cut it there

I’m more of a Bacco guy. 

I think if you drop a fancy bar/restaurant in the Heights you better be able to draw from outside the neighborhood. A family of five isn’t going to frequent Savior. The Heights is pretty trendy to young people with disposable income. Garden Oaks is very hot for spacious lots and better schools, but it’s not hip for youngs. I don’t see the Alba location doing well. 

It’s a shame the Alba Liberty Kitchen went under, but I’m sure them owners are crying into stacks of money from their other locations. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

17 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
On 2/7/2020 at 3:15 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

I haven't been to either yet but why is la grande rue trash?

Horrible prices, food was not good (which was shocking because it came from same kitchen as Savoir iirc, place was empty both times we went and had bad/super slow service one of the times

Has anyone else experienced the potential disaster at Heights and 7th with people walking into traffic to cross heights blvd , while cars on heights do not have a stop sign or light? This is the intersection with a park and the restaurants/bars/ice cream shops separated by height blvd.  I’ve also seen cars decide to stop to let people across which creates a problem as well with distracted or semi-distracted drivers.

34 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Has anyone else experienced the potential disaster at Heights and 7th with people walking into traffic to cross heights blvd , while cars on heights do not have a stop sign or light? This is the intersection with a park and the restaurants/bars/ice cream shops separated by height blvd.  I’ve also seen cars decide to stop to let people across which creates a problem as well with distracted or semi-distracted drivers.

Agree completely. Especially with the playground on the east side of Heights, there needs to be something more than a “DIY” pedestrian crossing. One of the traffic signals that occasionally shuts down the road on both directions when someone presses the cross button would be perfect. Like the one on South Lamar / Oltorf in Austin.

I’m not in the restaurant business/food/service industry world, but I think a place like Little Matt’s in West U would do really well in the GOOF. 

I wish there were more new places in The Heights like Lola and 8 Row Flint. Affordability shouldn’t be a bad word. 

11 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Horrible prices, food was not good (which was shocking because it came from same kitchen as Savoir iirc, place was empty both times we went and had bad/super slow service one of the times

I've only been to La Grande Rue once but walked away with a good impression. Only was going to get a couple of drinks, so I wasn't worried about immediate service but I don't recall it being bad either. I also thought that the single glasses were very reasonable. Perhaps it was a billing mistake or happy hour deals. I would go back.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m not in the restaurant business/food/service industry world, but I think a place like Little Matt’s in West U would do really well in the GOOF. 

I wish there were more new places in The Heights like Lola and 8 Row Flint. Affordability shouldn’t be a bad word. 

Kraftsman and Revival?

40 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Kraftsman and Revival?

Sure I like Revival, but it’s sandwich shop/coffee place that serves wine. They close at 4 pm. 

Kraftsman is kind of in the same mold. BYOB bakery with no dinner service. 

I’ll give Postino credit for their $20 Monday and Tuesday special. That’s probably their olive branch to the locals. 

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Sure I like Revival, but it’s sandwich shop/coffee place that serves wine. They close at 4 pm. 

Kraftsman is kind of in the same mold. BYOB bakery with no dinner service. 

I’ll give Postino credit for their $20 Monday and Tuesday special. That’s probably their olive branch to the locals. 

Sorry, thought u meant kid friendly affordable places

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Sorry, thought u meant kid friendly affordable places

Haha, it’s all good. I’m not a fan of three generations rolling up to 8 Row for some day drinking. Surely there’s better options for grandparents and grandkids alike. You don’t see too many strollers at 8 Row at night, so oh well. God Bless. Do what you want to do. 

On 2/9/2020 at 9:28 PM, gaspar said:

Taqo on 13th and Yale opened up recently, but I haven’t tried it yet. I’ll report back if I can get away for lunch this week. 

https://www.houstoniamag.com/eat-and-drink/2020/02/taqo-taco-heights-houston-tacos-clean-eating-tequila-bowls?utm_content=116520487&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-397331707027508

healthy tacos... pass

so many good taco options in the heights... ill give this place 18 months

14 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

My wife and I were excited to go for dinner, but just to be sure, I had her go by for lunch. She ordered the fajita beef taco on a cactus tortilla. Questionable tortilla choice I know, but she said the taco/meat was very bland. Maybe they haven’t seasoned the grill yet? 

I’ll reserve judgment for now. Apparently it’s owned by the same lady that ran Skinny Rita’s on Main until it closed. It was a pretty solid, but expensive Mexican option in the neighborhood. 

I’m sure Taqo will do decent business with the cross fit/paleo crowd. We’ll see if that enough to survive. 

City to alter 11th street to make it safer.   Instead of 2 lanes in both directions, it will go down to 1 in each direction with a dedicated turn lane in the middle. Between Shepherd on the west end and Michaux (past Studewood) on the east.

Not sure what I think about this but worry this could lead to long traffic jams.

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

City to alter 11th street to make it safer.   Instead of 2 lanes in both directions, it will go down to 1 in each direction with a dedicated turn lane in the middle. Between Shepherd on the west end and Michaux (past Studewood) on the east.

Not sure what I think about this but worry this could lead to long traffic jams.

Yeah I predict it fucking sucks. And I’ll be avoiding 11th Street now save the weekends. 

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Fucking retarded. Live 100 feet off 11th and drive on it many times a day. Never once seen an accident on 11th. Saw on time where there was a problem half a block up on the hike and bike trail (Nicholson), but never on 11th. In fact, id argue that 11th between heights and studemont is the single best/safest/most comfortable stretch of road in houston. 

• Fuck You 1

Basically turning it into Heights blvd... which is the slowest and most unsafe road in the greater heights area (because encouraging bikes and joggers on a public road never lead to any problems). Gonna be fucking fun going to shepherd to i45 behind buses and slow motherfuckers going 30mph the entire way. 

7 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Basically turning it into Heights blvd... which is the slowest and most unsafe road in the greater heights area (because encouraging bikes and joggers on a public road never lead to any problems). Gonna be fucking fun going to shepherd to i45 behind buses and slow motherfuckers going 30mph the entire way. 

Yes, some groups are determined to make Houston a bike-able city whether people want it or not. And while I can’t back this up with facts, the main problem I see with bicycles and cars are bicyclists refusing to follow traffic laws such as stopping at stop signs or lights.

With the future design, buses will shut down any flow with their stops.   And when 11th becomes slower, traffic will creep into more residential streets.

unfortunately the heights are going to have more and more traffic because of people moving into the area and the growth of restaurants, bars, shops, etc. I don’t know the answer but smaller streets isn’t it.

FYI for those that don’t know, a similar change is coming to shepherd and Durham. Going from 4 lanes to 3.  This is the one that truly needs to be stopped,

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes, some groups are determined to make Houston a bike-able city whether people want it or not. And while I can’t back this up with facts, the main problem I see with bicycles and cars are bicyclists refusing to follow traffic laws such as stopping at stop signs or lights.

yawn.  In my estimation the biggest problems is drivers killing bicyclists with virtual impunity in this city 

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

With the future design, buses will shut down any flow with their stops.   And when 11th becomes slower, traffic will creep into more residential streets.

unfortunately the heights are going to have more and more traffic because of people moving into the area and the growth of restaurants, bars, shops, etc. I don’t know the answer but smaller streets isn’t it.

FYI for those that don’t know, a similar change is coming to shepherd and Durham. Going from 4 lanes to 3.  This is the one that truly needs to be stopped,

Shepherd, not Durham iirc. 

11 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

You want unsafe, try 19th and 20th between Shepherd and TC Jester. 

Heights is very safe for cyclists and only unsafe at rush hour. Yale is a nightmare to cross because people insist on doing 50 between lights. True fact: it was designed as more or less a service alley for Heights Blvd and was never meant to be densely populated. 

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Shepherd, not Durham iirc. 

nope, both:  https://theleadernews.com/federal-grant-awarded-for-road-reconstruction-in-heights/ 

The grant is for the first phase of the project, which will reconstruct Shepherd and Durham between 15th Street and North Loop 610

The plan calls for reconfiguring Shepherd and Durham from four lanes each to three lanes apiece, with designated turning lanes to be added at select intersections. Sidewalks on both sides of each street will be expanded from 4 feet to 6 feet, and 5-foot bike lanes will be added. The plan, according to the grant application on the TIRZ 5 website, also calls for landscape buffers to be created on both sides of the bike lanes and sidewalks.

Phase 2 would take the project from 15th to I-10, and phas3 from I-10 to Memorial Dr. Those phases appear to be neither funded nor planned at the moment.

I could care less if people want to travel by bicycle. Sounds great. I just doubt that many people will. We will have world-class bike lanes with a handful of bikes on them per day. Meanwhile how many thousands of cars drive on shepherd every day, and they're going to lose 25% of their road.  The multi-modal ideal is the Field of Dreams. If you build bike lanes, Houston will start commuting by bike. Where's the proof that works?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Hard to believe, but Burger Joint is apparently supposed to finally open next Friday after almost 2 years of "looking forward to serving the Heights soon."

I could have sworn I saw customers in it a week ago. I guess it was a friends and family/soft opening type deal.