Heights/Garden Oaks/Oak Forest

Nice Guy Eddie

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Ike's Love and Sandwiches on 11th is darned good. I had the Damon Bruce with lettuce and jalapenos on the Dutch Crunch bread. Too expensive, but much better than Jersey Mike's. 

Second this. I've eaten their twice, and both times were fucking excellent. I don't eat sandwiches a lot, but they have a few options that are low cal enough, including one of the one's with Pinkerton's Brisket. 

They did have a venting issue first week they were open, and the restaurant was smoky AF. Hopefully they sorted that out. But yeah, I really hope they're doing well and stay in business. 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Second this. I've eaten their twice, and both times were fucking excellent. I don't eat sandwiches a lot, but they have a few options that are low cal enough, including one of the one's with Pinkerton's Brisket. 

They did have a venting issue first week they were open, and the restaurant was smoky AF. Hopefully they sorted that out. But yeah, I really hope they're doing well and stay in business. 

No ventilation issue when I was in there yesterday. 

It’s not my thing, but they do have a lot of plant based sandwiches for those so inclined. 

• Like 1

Does eating a low cal sandwich with Pinkerton’s brisket help you validate that day’s diet whilst allowing you to skip CrossFit?

5 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

Does eating a low cal sandwich with Pinkerton’s brisket help you validate that day’s diet whilst allowing you to skip CrossFit?

My fat ass wishes he was still doing crossfit. Fatherhood is a real motherfucker to the waistline. It makes me feel better about the copious amounts of beer I polish off though. 

Also, eat a bag of dicks Homesick. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

My fat ass wishes he was still doing crossfit. Fatherhood is a real motherfucker to the waistline. It makes me feel better about the copious amounts of beer I polish off though. 

Also, eat a bag of dicks Homesick. 

Are they low cal?

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Leaving HEB yesterday, I noticed that the old run-down Copper Penny restaurant on the corner of 24th and Shepherd is getting fixed up and there's a coming soon sign for "Piper's BBQ and Beer." TABC application was filed by the same LLC that owns Preslee's. 

The Preslee's guys have put a FUCK ton of money into the market. The land they bought at Preslee's couldn't have been even remotely cheap, and it looks l like they've spend hundreds of thousands more in fixing up that place, at least. Not this, which couldn't have been a cheap property to purchase either (if they purchased it). 

I forget the other places they've owned before this, but I remember looking at it and thinking "Man, these places don't seem that successful to invest as they have in Preslee's." And they keep going. Good for them. Preslee's itself looks like it's going to print fucking money for them for the foreseeable future. 

On 2/12/2020 at 4:11 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

City to alter 11th street to make it safer.   Instead of 2 lanes in both directions, it will go down to 1 in each direction with a dedicated turn lane in the middle. Between Shepherd on the west end and Michaux (past Studewood) on the east.

Not sure what I think about this but worry this could lead to long traffic jams.

Studewood traffic flows well. I assume this would be the same setup.

On 3/2/2020 at 2:50 PM, Mez2 said:

our families love going to preslee's after teeball games on the weekends - great set up for kids to run around, especially this time of the year. 

Even better, is the fact that they make the Oaks Dad Club families sit outside, so that us Timbergrove Sports elites can sit inside, look down our noses at y'all, and talk shit.

Edited by Homesickhorn

12 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

Even better, is the fact that they make the Oaks Dad Club families sit outside, so that us Timbergrove Sports elites can sit inside, look down our noses at y'all, and talk shit.

You're going to have to enlighten me on this rivalry sir. Do I need and go get some kind of Timbergrove Elite shirt so I can tall you outer loop fagets to suck it?

22 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

Fascinating. I could see the GOOF moms beefing with the Heights moms at the 34th Street Y. I would hope gentlemen would be above such shenanigans. 

My kiddo is grandfathered into Timbergrove because when he started there, that's where we lived.  I now actually live in GOOF (literally like three streets south of Mez), so I really don't have any dog in the fight because I'm aligned to both parties.  That said, I've got no compunction whatsoever pissing on someone's leg from either side if they decide to start any mischief.  Ask Sydney.

48 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

My kiddo is grandfathered into Timbergrove because when he started there, that's where we lived.  I now actually live in GOOF (literally like three streets south of Mez), so I really don't have any dog in the fight because I'm aligned to both parties.  That said, I've got no compunction whatsoever pissing on someone's leg from either side if they decide to start any mischief.  Ask Sydney.

Indeed, you're basically a tiny version of Loki, or War riding around on your red horse. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

This hits close to home cause I played at Oaks Dad Club back in '77-'78. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

That's why we have better ballplayers at ODC!

#shotsfired 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mico's Hot Chicken is pretty damn good and an easy place to social distance whether you eat in or takeaway. It's still a food truck with outdoor seating. (Old Balls Out location on Durham.) The extra hot is not facemelting so don't be scared and make sure you get the slaw on the sammiches. And get their Animal Fries if you're nasty. 

Alright Heights/GOOF residents, what bars and restaurants come back? What places stay closed? 

I love the place, but Johnny’s doesn’t seem long for this world. Bad management group + an unfriendly landlord. I could see them missing a rent payment and shutting down. 

8 Row is selling drive thru tacos to survive. I hope it works for them. 

If you love good food, you love Euro Mid products -- they are suppliers to pretty much all of the big boys in town for European and Mediterranean items like pasta, olive oil, herbs and spices, and such. They are selling direct from their warehouse on Seamist now. Tons of top-notch shelf-stable stuff. 

Via FB: 

While I still encourage everyone to support your local restaurants I can tell you that at best most are only selling about 10-20% of normal sales.

Since the company I have worked for the past 30 years supplies a majority of our best dining establishments this past week has been a rough one to witness, and while I understand we have little choice but to follow the stay in place restrictions it’s going to have a devastating impact on our hospitality industry and I fear many will not make it if this drags out. Our company included, since our sales are also down 75-80% as well since many are operating with limited menu offerings and our core business are the high end specialty ingredients for which they use, and in most cases aren’t currently.

So it’s time to think outside the box as I feel a responsibility to do everything I can as manager of over 50 employees who are dependent on our company to provide for their families.

I would like to offer anyone out there our products for delivery to their homes or available for pick up at our warehouse located at 1110 Seamist Drive.
Since we have never had a website our company has operated quietly behind the scenes and many are unaware that we exist or that we now offer over 15,000 items from food products, kitchen utensils, cleaning supplies, and much more.

Minimum order requirements for local delivery would be $150. Our fleet of bobtails have delivery routes twice per day inside the Beltway and we have routes that deliver to our suburban communities on Tuesday and Friday. We can drop off and leave at your door or bring inside if you wish. I have no idea what the demand will be since this will be outside our normal services. But for those who are tired of waiting in lines at the grocery stores who still can’t get their hands on some of the essential items they are looking for we may be an option for you. Not to mention the average retail markup on many simple grocery items like pasta, olive oil, canned tomatoes can be 40% or more than what we sell our foodservice customers.

We have plenty of bottled water along with other non alcoholic beverages and admittedly limited supplies of toilet paper as we are at the mercy of those manufacturers who produce it just as the grocery stores are, but I’m willing to ration those items out along with orders placed for other items.

I’m in desperate need of trying to sell off items like Brie and other shorter shelf items like this. I’m willing to sell products like this below our normal wholesale prices. So why not take advantage and order a nice mix of groceries and have an incredible meal at home while staying in place.

For anyone interested please email me at mike@euromidusa.com and I will send you a product list for which you can look over and place an order if you like. I will provide instructions on contacting our customer service team. We do accept checks, cash, and credit cards.

My only limitations are a minimum order of $150 for local deliveries and $50 for any orders being picked up at our warehouse which I would prefer limiting as it only increases the number of people our employees come in contact with while we all try to avoid being infected with Covid 19.

Since I know with my own Facebook account I only see a limited number of my friends post I would ask those who have read this to REPOST onto their own profiles.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I’m hoping that offering this new service from our company it both keeps us operational during this tough period, but also provides value to those who would also prefer limiting the risk of contact with those already infected with this nasty virus but also continuing the cycle for which it keeps growing.

I will see how much demand is generated from this and will follow up later with special items I can price very aggressively. I’m also open to special ordering any items for which anyone is having a hard time locating or stores can’t keep on the shelves. Some may be required to purchase in full case increments depending on the product.

Just an FYI a high percentage of our products can be sold in piece increments so don’t be intimidated in thinking you have to purchase full cases of everything.

God bless you all and stay safe. This will pass.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:
PSA - Ike's Sandwiches is selling $5 fried chicken sandwiches tonight. Free delivery. The "Tiger King" is damned good. 

I hope they make it. It seems well run and I like their sandwiches.

They have a lot locations nation wide, and plenty of connections in San Francisco. You'd think have access to capital/rich guys that like their sandwiches, but I hear the restaurant business isn't a good investment right now. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

• 1 month later...

Uhh, the church is still there, they just sold their excess parking lot across Shepherd to a developer. In 7 years of living in the neighborhood, I don't recall ever seeing a single vehicle parked there. Almost 2 acres of valuable real estate just sitting there unused. 

It was a big deal around GO because the property was deed restricted for "church use" only and the developer had to hire canvassers to go out and get signatures from neighborhood residents to agree to remove the restrictions. I think they ended up agreeing to certain restrictions on the property (no drive thrus, no excessive lighting) and donated a substantial amount of money to the constable fund. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Whoa, the old mechanic shop on the corner of 34th and Shepherd is gonna be yet another Common Bond drive-thru.

https://theleadernews.com/common-bond-to-open-to-go-concept-in-garden-oaks/?fbclid=IwAR34N9LVT3vEdCMBoCcrpV7_KwbY-f7IN0SzU26ylTovTkV0iCwiNi2d3DA

I understand Common Bond as a brunch destination. It seems very popular with the ladies. But what is the appeal of CB as a drive thru?