Heights/Garden Oaks/Oak Forest

Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Uhh, go get pastries and coffee without needing to get dressed or standing in line?

God, if that was there when I lived in GOOF, I would have been bankrupt within a couple weeks. 

Common Bond locations between 6th and 34th Streets: 

6th and Heights (drive thru)

20th and Nicholson (sit down)

34th and Shepherd (drive thru) 

One every 14 blocks. Looks like oversaturation. But hey, what do I know? It’s their money. Best of luck.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

53 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Ill never understand how there isnt a single legit coffee shop inside the loop that opens before 630

I dont need coffee at 3 or 4 pm. These motherfuckers should be opening at 6 and closing at like 2, instead of the bullshit 8-4 hours that most of em have

Yeah a lot of “open at 7” which fucks over the early to work crowd. 

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Ill never understand how there isnt a single legit coffee shop inside the loop that opens before 630

I dont need coffee at 3 or 4 pm. These motherfuckers should be opening at 6 and closing at like 2, instead of the bullshit 8-4 hours that most of em have

Thanks for not making me wait even longer for my afternoon coffee 

McDonald’s is open early, decent coffee 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Taqo on Yale is very good. Some friendly suggestions: 

- Order the Taco Trio on Tuesday, $10. Almost $6 for a beef fajita taco on other day is absurd. 

- They only have frozen margaritas right now, but they’re quite good for a frozen rita.     You can actually taste the tequila and triple sec.

- Hold the chipotle aioli, and ask for green and red sauce on the side. 

- They have various tortilla options, but their flour tortillas are elite. 

• Like 2

On 6/23/2020 at 11:23 PM, elfenix said:

guess i wasn't paying that good attention when driving by

I tried to go to the drive-thru at Carl's one day profoundly hungover and there were too many similar loooking restaurants (all red and yellow) next to each other and I kept ending up in the wrong parking lot. Here's hoping there's a different-looking new addition to Ella's Trans Fat Alley. 

On 6/23/2020 at 4:39 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Common Bond locations between 6th and 34th Streets: 

6th and Heights (drive thru)

20th and Nicholson (sit down)

34th and Shepherd (drive thru) 

One every 14 blocks. Looks like oversaturation. But hey, what do I know? It’s their money. Best of luck.

The future location on 34th and Shepherd is on the wrong side of the road. In the morning more people are driving south on Shepherd not north. It's going to be pain to stop at a place on the east side of shepherd and then get back to driving south.  I realize the Chase branch probably wasn't an option to buy out but why plan to start a coffee shop on the wrong side of the road.

32 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The future location on 34th and Shepherd is on the wrong side of the road. In the morning more people are driving south on Shepherd not north. It's going to be pain to stop at a place on the east side of shepherd and then get back to driving south.  I realize the Chase branch probably wasn't an option to buy out but why plan to start a coffee shop on the wrong side of the road.

Agreed. People living between Yale and Shepherd, north of I 10 should have pretty easy access via 34th Street, but that’s it. 

I've probably complained about this somewhere in this thread but I'm going to bitch about it again.  I'm skeptical about this plan to change Shepherd and Durham from 4 to 3 lanes between I-10 and 610.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/bike-lanes-shepherd-durham-rebuild-40-million-15377889.php

I'm not opposed to making the area more walking and bike friendly but at the expense of vehicle congestion? There has to be a better option than telling drivers to f-off. TXDOT shows 18,000 daily vehicles on each road back in 2016. Lord knows what it is today. And how many more people are projected to move to the Heights with all of the new apartments going up?

Here is the future of Shepherd: People in the left lane slowing down to take a left. People in the right lane slowing down to take a right. And the middle lane backed up a mile for people attempting to get to 610. What a cluster it will be.  The current 4 lanes makes it bearable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've probably complained about this somewhere in this thread but I'm going to bitch about it again.  I'm skeptical about this plan to change Shepherd and Durham from 4 to 3 lanes between I-10 and 610.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/bike-lanes-shepherd-durham-rebuild-40-million-15377889.php

I'm not opposed to making the area more walking and bike friendly but at the expense of vehicle congestion? There has to be a better option than telling drivers to f-off. TXDOT shows 18,000 daily vehicles on each road back in 2016. Lord knows what it is today. And how many more people are projected to move to the Heights with all of the new apartments going up?

Here is the future of Shepherd: People in the left lane slowing down to take a left. People in the right lane slowing down to take a right. And the middle lane backed up a mile for people attempting to get to 610. What a cluster it will be.  The current 4 lanes makes it bearable.

I honestly think the only reason they're doing it because they received free federal money. Sure we'll fix you roads, but you have to put in a bike lane. Sold!

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

the goofs traffic congestion issues...then potential construction are one of the top reasons we steered over to spring branch/memorial- north of i-10 south of westview. it just seems less congested over there.

Edited by riloh05

4 minutes ago, riloh05 said:

the goofs traffic congestion issues...then potential construction are one of the top reasons we steered over to spring branch/memorial- north of i-10 south of westview. it just seems less congested over there.

Shepherd will be a very pretty street once this is over. When there are no cars on at 5am. That is a tight cross section of a busy street. The tree zone is taking a lane away fro the drivers.

Shepherd-ROW-Section-scaled.jpg

I may be more afraid of the construction phase as it sounds like they're going to tear up the entire street to improve drainage and sewers. Perhaps all of this is necessary but it make me think about moving to another part of town.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Do they have a hard date to start construction? I've been eyeing a move downtown for a few years. 

I haven't been able to find solid plans but I believe 15th-610 is Phase 1 scheduled for 2022.  And I-10 to 15th is Phase 2 in 2024.   I can't tell if construction will extend into 2023 or 2025. My guess is that we will hear more as it gets closer.

• Like 1

More lanes just means more cars. The improvements are needed and it's pretty well documented that reducing traffic lanes doesn't have a negative impact on traffic, because people adjust their behavior. You'll have some that take advantage of improved transit/bike/pedestrian infrastructure on the corridor, some re-time their trips, and some just avoid the area.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

More lanes just means more cars. The improvements are needed and it's pretty well documented that reducing traffic lanes doesn't have a negative impact on traffic, because people adjust their behavior. You'll have some that take advantage of improved transit/bike/pedestrian infrastructure on the corridor, some re-time their trips, and some just avoid the area.

I don’t know  if I buy that people will drastically adjust their commutes because the route is longer in time now. I agree people will wake up earlier so they can be at work on time. Get home later.  But just saying it’s well documented that reducing shepherd lanes will reduce vehicle seems like a stretch.

i also question how many people will use the bike lanes. Let’s go with 100-200 per day.  It’s walkable right now but I don’t see people out. Like I said, I agree it will be a prettier street with trees, wider sidewalks, bike lane. I don’t think you will see many bikes or walkers.

the whole move to build bike lanes seems to be that if you build it, they will come. There are plenty of bike lanes in Houston now, so I assume there must be evidence of its success or failure.  What’s the word on them?

• Like 1

I don’t know  if I buy that people will drastically adjust their commutes because the route is longer in time now. I agree people will wake up earlier so they can be at work on time. Get home later.  But just saying it’s well documented that reducing shepherd lanes will reduce vehicle seems like a stretch.
i also question how many people will use the bike lanes. Let’s go with 100-200 per day.  It’s walkable right now but I don’t see people out. Like I said, I agree it will be a prettier street with trees, wider sidewalks, bike lane. I don’t think you will see many bikes or walkers.
the whole move to build bike lanes seems to be that if you build it, they will come. There are plenty of bike lanes in Houston now, so I assume there must be evidence of its success or failure.  What’s the word on them?

Google induced and reduced demand. It's a well established concept in transportation, backed by research. Killing an auto lane won't bring a traffic apocalypse.

I agree that the Shepherd/Durham corridor isn't going to become Manhattan in terms of walkability any time soon. Killing a traffic lane makes the built environment more pedestrian friendly but it doesn't change that it's lined by big box retail, auto shops, etc. The development in the area is suburban. You'd need to do a lot more than improve the sidewalks to really stimulate pedestrian activity.

The roads have no bike lanes at all and that would definitely add value/utility as there is some biking in the Heights. What I'd really want to see there is a BRT lane though. I think that coupled with a transit oriented development plan is the best way to maximize the potential of that corridor.

44 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Google induced and reduced demand. It's a well established concept in transportation, backed by research. Killing an auto lane won't bring a traffic apocalypse.

I agree with this. It's similar to some of the major streets that went from 2 lanes each way to 1 lane each way, but with a dedicated turn lane in the middle. Traffic still flows.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You might see 100 riders a day on this route at most, but more bike lanes are needed. It's just not safe to bike around Houston on the major arteries. Bike lanes are relatively cheap to build and maintain.

Wasn't sure where to post this, but RIP to a real one.  The Tall Texan was one of my favorite dive bars ever, and the first I regularly frequented when I moved to Houston a little over a decade ago.

https://houston.eater.com/2020/7/30/21348383/alices-tall-texan-houston-closed-permanently-august-2020

Pour one out for a real one: Alice’s Tall Texan, the iconic Houston dive bar known for its massive and frosty chalices of beer, will close its doors at the end of next month.

The bar announced its permanent closure in a Facebook post on Thursday, blaming its departure on the coronavirus pandemic. “This damn Coronavirus has got us, and got us bad. We are deeply saddened to say Alice’s Tall Texan will close permanently at the end of August after 36 years in business,” the post reads. “There’s just too much working against us.

Ahead of its closure, Alice’s plans to go out with a bang selling to-go beer to deplete its inventory. The bar is set to open its doors on “select weekend days,” beginning on Friday, July 31 to sell singles, six-packs, and cases of beer. For folks who purchase a 6-pack or more, they’ll be able to memorialize Alice’s permanently with a chalice or beer mug from the bar.

Y’all are the reason we became known as a great dive bar, best place to drink if you’re broke, friendliest bars,” the bar wrote to its loyal patrons. “We are eternally grateful to have been a part of your lives including the countless celebrations or allowing us to lift you up when you were down.”

On 7/31/2020 at 2:29 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

A reliable source tells me that rumors of the Tall Texan's demise might be greatly exaggerated. I wood not reveal this White Knight's identity but some of you might be able to cotton on to who it might be. 

Well, they were selling beer to go (and their goblets) like hot cakes yesterday, and I was lucky enough to finagle one myself.  Line was quite long when they opened up at 3:00; people were down the street, almost to the Shipley's headquarters.

Overheard Alice complaining the alcohol license was set to expire, and given that she's up there in age, not in the best of health, and a bit of a miser (in a charming way), it may not have been worth her $$$ to renew it for another year or two, given that she'd have no idea when they'd be able to reopen again.  I don't have much experience with the TABC license fees, but apparently they're not cheap, especially for an establishment that sells $3 beers.

And apparently they will be selling some of their signs & miscellaneous items - and maybe even their wallpaper - in a couple weeks via their Facebook page.

3 hours ago, dbecks said:

Well, they were selling beer to go (and their goblets) like hot cakes yesterday, and I was lucky enough to finagle one myself.  Line was quite long when they opened up at 3:00; people were down the street, almost to the Shipley's headquarters.

Overheard Alice complaining the alcohol license was set to expire, and given that she's up there in age, not in the best of health, and a bit of a miser (in a charming way), it may not have been worth her $$$ to renew it for another year or two, given that she'd have no idea when they'd be able to reopen again.  I don't have much experience with the TABC license fees, but apparently they're not cheap, especially for an establishment that sells $3 beers.

And apparently they will be selling some of their signs & miscellaneous items - and maybe even their wallpaper - in a couple weeks via their Facebook page.

Yeah my source told me later that same day the deal fell through due to some weirdness on their end. 

• 3 weeks later...

Burger Joint crew is opening up "The Taco Stand" right next door on the corner of 21st and Shepherd.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/08-21-20-taco-stand-new-restaurant-burger-joint-matthew-pak-shawn-bermudez-the-heights/#slide=0

Interesting move since there's a Velvet Taco that's supposed to be going into what used to be a Jack in the Box across the street, assuming that's still the planned tenant for that building. I've noticed they've finally been working on it the last few weeks.

Noticed some work getting underway at what used to be Petrol. Crews there this week ripped up all the old decking and some of the crumbling fence around the back patio area. Off to a good start for new tenants. Make proper use of the spacious backyard, upgrade the bathrooms and kitchen and that place should be a hit.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:

What's the deal with liberty kitchen? I've heard other locations are open but the heights location has been completely closed since covid started.

Liberty Kitchen’s three locations have been closed since the coronavirus pandemic began, and when they reopen soon, things might look a little different. Culinary Khancepts, the group behind State Fare Kitchen & Bar, announced they had purchased two locations — the Treehouse in Memorial City and Liberty Kitchen & Oysterette in River Oaks, with plans to repoen them very soon — August 7 for the Oysterette and August 14 for the Treehouse, according to a press release.

Menus at both locations will feature some Liberty Kitchen faves like gumbo, deviled eggs and impressive spreads of raw oysters, alongside new dishes focused on fresh produce and other fresh ingredients. The Liberty Kitchen location in the Heights will remained closed for now while current owners, F.E.E.D. TX Restaurant Group, drum up a new idea for the spot.

Recs on a good mechanic in the area? Recently moved to Oak Forest, near 43rd and TC Jester.

Nothing major wrong with the car right now (knock on wood). Honda with 60k miles. Going to CO in a couple weeks so just want to get it checked pre-trip, and I'm due for an oil change so I'll take care of that too.

14 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Recs on a good mechanic in the area? Recently moved to Oak Forest, near 43rd and TC Jester.

Nothing major wrong with the car right now (knock on wood). Honda with 60k miles. Going to CO in a couple weeks so just want to get it checked pre-trip, and I'm due for an oil change so I'll take care of that too.

Don’t take to Adolf Hoepl Garage. Those wonderful folks wanted $300 for an oil change, tire rotation, and state inspection. I have no idea how they remain in business. Money laundering front for Madrigal Electromotive GmbH? 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/18/2020 at 9:36 AM, gmr548 said:

I like Heights Auto Repair at 19th @ Durham.  Honest and inexpensive. 

• Like 1