Heights/Garden Oaks/Oak Forest

Nice Guy Eddie

Saw a post on FB about some upcoming road/utility projects in GO that are sure to cause some headaches over the next 4 years.

Similar to how they re-paved and widened Alba and re-did the drainage along that corridor, looks like plans are to do the same on Golf from ~2021-23 and then Sue Barnett from ~2023-25.

https://www.gardenoaks.org/gocc-home/neighborhood-info/streetwork/

4 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Saw a post on FB about some upcoming road/utility projects in GO that are sure to cause some headaches over the next 4 years.

Similar to how they re-paved and widened Alba and re-did the drainage along that corridor, looks like plans are to do the same on Golf from ~2021-23 and then Sue Barnett from ~2023-25.

https://www.gardenoaks.org/gocc-home/neighborhood-info/streetwork/

Great, Alba is worse now with the stupid idea to not include sidewalks. Let’s do the same for 2 more streets.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Saw a post on FB that Petrol Station's new identity is official.
122035606_10100921275099689_4169121908513909203_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=S75lglQnJd0AX_KKhnD&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-1.fna&oh=9f5badd6ce78c0f6f50be3a4e39a4789&oe=5FB515F1.
Last time that I drove by and the doors were open it looks like they've significantly re-done the inside. They also tore out all the old decking in the backyard area.

Obligatory RIP Petrol Station

They seem like cash cows but I cringe when I see a storage location going up. It will never go away and they always seem to go downhill quickly in terms of upkeep.

and I always laugh when someone tells me they are renting a storage unit for 3 months. Get back to me in 3 years to tell me how that plan went.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Fitzgerald’s was fun when your friend’s band was playing and it was like $5 to get in. That seems like a very long time ago. 

I can’t defend keeping the place open, but a storage facility in that location is very sad and on message for Houston. 

edit: This is incorrect. Good lucky y'all, this is a monstrosity. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They seem like cash cows but I cringe when I see a storage location going up. It will never go away and they always seem to go downhill quickly in terms of upkeep.

and I always laugh when someone tells me they are renting a storage unit for 3 months. Get back to me in 3 years to tell me how that plan went.

Let me guess. Cheap to build, extremely low overhead, and customers locked into multi- year contracts that are harder to get out of than a time share? 

Unless there are extenuating circumstances, these things should be telling you that you have too much stuff, and instead of selling, donating, or just throwing it away, you turn them into a slow-bleed of cash. 

And I don't understand why people need them so close at hand. Rent a cheap one in bumfuck, somewhere nice, like near a lake or cool small town. That way you can make a day or weekend out of your trip to reuniting with / or dumping your junk. 

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Get back to me in 3 years to tell me how that plan went.

badly. 

if it's a personal possession and you can't fit it in your house you need to get rid of it or make room by getting rid of something else.  only things that are worth storing are things that are of repeated seasonal use like a whole pee wee football team's equipment. 

49 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

I should’ve done these instead of restaurants. I’ve got buddies who’ve jumped into this particular area of real estate and they’re fucking printing it now. Guys that I actually mentored. I had no idea it would do this.

all these houses on top of garages that have no room to the sides or in front of the cars drive this, i assume. 

Let me guess. Cheap to build, extremely low overhead, and customers locked into multi- year contracts that are harder to get out of than a time share? 

It’s often simply a land appreciation tactic in hot neighborhoods like that. Build it, you can operate it cheaply, sell it when some developer makes you a godfather offer.

In general, storage facilities are just such awful land use policy. Talk about adding nothing. Shame.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Couple of updates on neighborhood eateries mentioned previously in this thread.

Common Bond To Go at 34th opened up middle of last week. 

McAlister's in the new strip center across from GO Baptist opened yesterday I believe. 

Noticed new signage up over the weekend indicating the old Liberty Kitchen on Studewood is now called "Fegens" after Lance Fegen, former chef/partner in LK ownership group. 

Finally, Grease Monkey, the new tenant at Petrol Station, is once again under construction following a 4-5 month lull. Was starting to think the project had been abandoned.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/9/2021 at 11:09 AM, Storm the Field said:

Noticed new signage up over the weekend indicating the old Liberty Kitchen on Studewood is now called "Fegens" after Lance Fegen, former chef/partner in LK ownership group. 

https://houston.eater.com/2021/3/11/22325450/fegens-lance-fegen-restaurant-heights-houston-liberty-kitchen

• 3 weeks later...

Shepherd Park Draught House is no more. Re-opening in next few weeks as a ZZ Top themed Tex-Mex joint.

A well-established hospitality group's new project will combine two things Houstonians love: Tex-Mex and ZZ Top. Delicious Concepts, the company behind Pink's Pizza, Lola Diner, and others, announced that it's converting Shepherd Park Draught House into Tres Amigos Cafe y Cantina (3402 N. Shepherd Dr.).

Slated to open around April 22, the new restaurant will feature a Tex-Mex menu of tacos, burritos, chips and queso, and "classic combo plates," according to a release.

As its name implies, the restaurant also serves as an homage to legendary Houston rock band ZZ Top. Delicious Concepts owner Ken Bridge and his wife Christina have decorated Tres Amigos with items from their extensive collection of ZZ Top memorabilia.

The restuarant's name also represents the three friends who are collaborating on the project. Bridge recruited ZZ Top frontman Billy Gibbons and Pura Vida Tequila founder Stewart Skloss to join him as non-financial partners in the venture.

Bridge also recently shut down Ritual and is re-opening it as an upscale Korean BBQ concept with an unpronounceable name. 

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Shepherd Park Draught House is no more. Re-opening in next few weeks as a ZZ Top themed Tex-Mex joint.

Bridge also recently shut down Ritual and is re-opening it as an upscale Korean BBQ concept with an unpronounceable name. 

wonder if there will be a chicken coop where the meat used to hang inside of ritual.

• 2 months later...

Petrol Station new tenant finally back on track to open in a few months.

https://www.theleadernews.com/food_drink/grease-monkey-to-open-in-fall/article_9d549eb6-ce2f-11eb-bd48-3b6e01e70c5b.html

The recently formed restaurant group Barrel of Monkeys Hospitality has announced it will open its second concept, Grease Monkey, this fall at 985 Wakefield Dr. in the Garden Oaks neighborhood.

When it opens in the former Petrol Station spot, Grease Monkey will be a neighborhood-focused bar serving hand-made Mexican tacos served on fresh tortillas. Greasy Monkey’s beverage program will have a strong emphasis on tequila and mezcal, craft beer and rotating seasonal drinks. 

“We have all honed in on specific areas of this business, collectively regrouped, and feel very confident with this direction,” partner Jessie Gonzales said in a news release.

I had heard the original ownership group had a falling out and that's why very little progressed over the last several months.

11 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Petrol Station new tenant finally back on track to open in a few months.

https://www.theleadernews.com/food_drink/grease-monkey-to-open-in-fall/article_9d549eb6-ce2f-11eb-bd48-3b6e01e70c5b.html

I had heard the original ownership group had a falling out and that's why very little progressed over the last several months.

I noticed some new construction in the back the other day.  

With all the madness on Wakefield right now I don’t know where people are going to park. 

2 hours ago, Ldogg53 said:

I noticed some new construction in the back the other day.  

With all the madness on Wakefield right now I don’t know where people are going to park. 

Greater Heights is pretty much valet/ hoof it/ Lyft only now. Cottonwood might be the last spot with a sizable parking lot. 

I valet parked at Height Biergarten last week, and I was happy to get a spot. 

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Greater Heights is pretty much valet/ hoof it/ Lyft only now. Cottonwood might be the last spot with a sizable parking lot. 

I valet parked at Height Biergarten last week, and I was happy to get a spot. 

Oh now you've done it.

I've started either walking from my house to GH/Walking Stick or parking around the corner on Alba.  

I've gotten stuck at Bier Garten twice in my past 3 trips to where I had to wait for one of the people parked near my truck to move before I could leave. 

6 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Oh now you've done it.

I've started either walking from my house to GH/Walking Stick or parking around the corner on Alba.  

I've gotten stuck at Bier Garten twice in my past 3 trips to where I had to wait for one of the people parked near my truck to move before I could leave. 

This happened to me. They had to move about a half dozen cars to get to mine. It’s not a pop in and out kind of spot. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I noticed that there is a new traffic information sign installed near the Sonic on Shepherd. The kind of sign that Transtar or Metro can change the message, like 20 minutes to I-45, or whatever. 

This plays into my fears that Shepherd between 610 and I-45 is going to become more and more an alternative to I-45. Add to the fact that the I-45 expansion is slowing down, perhaps to a halt, I could see TxDOT pushing more traffic to Shepherd.

I noticed that there is a new traffic information sign installed near the Sonic on Shepherd. The kind of sign that Transtar or Metro can change the message, like 20 minutes to I-45, or whatever. 
This plays into my fears that Shepherd between 610 and I-45 is going to become more and more an alternative to I-45. Add to the fact that the I-45 expansion is slowing down, perhaps to a halt, I could see TxDOT pushing more traffic to Shepherd.

What are you worried about? Do you not understand how much vehicular traffic will be reduced by the bike lanes?

12 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
43 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What are you worried about? Do you not understand how much vehicular traffic will be reduced by the bike lanes?

I’m skeptical of that but Im talking about north of 610 where I’m not sure there will be bike lanes.

6 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:
6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't miss Shepherd on my commute. I took an Uber from Greenway to Garden Oaks at 430 today. Worst traffic I've seen in 6 months. 

I love the Heights, but seems like TxDOT has decided Houstonians should live west and southwest of the city. The expanded and complete 10 and 59/69 actually move in traffic. 

I don't miss Shepherd on my commute. I took an Uber from Greenway to Garden Oaks at 430 today. Worst traffic I've seen in 6 months. 
I love the Heights, but seems like TxDOT has decided Houstonians should live west and southwest of the city. The expanded and complete 10 and 59/69 actually move in traffic. 
Yeah thats a good 30-45 minutes depending on the day.

On 6/23/2021 at 9:17 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Blame Will Hogg and the other investors who built River Oaks. They decreed that there would be no north-south conduit through their preserve, and then Hogg added on Memorial Park, which he believed would mark the end of town. So aside from Shepherd, and 610, there is no unimpeded north-south arterial road running all the way across town until you get to Hillcroft-Voss-Bingle. 

8 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Blame Will Hogg and the other investors who built River Oaks. They decreed that there would be no north-south conduit through their preserve, and then Hogg added on Memorial Park, which he believed would mark the end of town. So aside from Shepherd, and 610, there is no unimpeded north-south arterial road running all the way across town until you get to Hillcroft-Voss-Bingle. 

If it wasn't for working from home due to the pandemic, I doubt that I would still be living here. Luckily my employer is making WFH semi-permanent. 

The lack of options to drive north-south through central Houston is criminal. And even when the city created the light rail, it's too slow as the travel time is the same as driving if not longer.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

On 6/25/2021 at 9:38 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If it wasn't for working from home due to the pandemic, I doubt that I would still be living here. Luckily my employer is making WFH semi-permanent. 

The lack of options to drive north-south through central Houston is criminal. And even when the city created the light rail, it's too slow as the travel time is the same as driving if not longer.

I like that Memorial Park is there. Beautiful park, people watching, good/affordable golf course. I wouldn't want cars buzzing through there. 

Same goes for River Oaks. There's a s*** ton of traffic already west to east. People aren't paying millions of dollars for a house with north to south traffic as well. 

I believe there's a TxDot plan to add a overpass to 610 by the Galleria. This should help immensely, but it'll take forever. 

If you want to live up north, I would suggest Humble or Kingwood. 610 dumping millions and millions of cars on to 45 and 290 is always going to be a problem. 

The low interest rates sped up our plans to move. The plan was to buy a big 2-2 downtown, but we got worried about COAs, schools, and we wanted a swimming pool. We settled on Memorial, and it's worked out great. 

15 minutes door to door commute to my office in traffic. Toll road, interstate, or Richmond are all options. Richmond always moves. No mater the time of time. It's not as walkable as The Heights, but there are plenty of restaurants and a neighborhood bar we can walk to. Our neighborhood won't be mentioned much on Culture Map, but it has everything we need.