2021 Houston Texans offseason thread

Macklemore

9 minutes ago, Zeus said:

I gave up any shred of being a real fan during the Rosencopter game. I thought to myself that if the Colts pulled that one out, and somehow I just knew the would, I would give up any pretense of being a Texans fan. (They'd already made it hard enough.) 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

For the life of me I don't understand how Bieniemy has been a can't miss coaching prospect.  His main coaching talents in college were dropping bags and hiring strippers for recruits and somehow he's been rehabilitated by holding Andy Reid's clipboard?  I don't get it.

I would say more than anything it has to do with Andy Reid’s coaching tree history. If one of the greatest offensive minds ever is vouching for someone this much, I dunno, maybe listen.  

Also, call me crazy, but I think Jim Caldwell is a pretty good coach and he should probably have a job right now. I thought he got a raw deal in Detroit. 

11-5 his first year and lost in the wild card round to the cowboys with a pretty sketchy call sprinkled in there 

7-9 the next year after dealing with a rash of bad injuries (including Stafford) when they started out 1-7.

Then 9-7 his last two years, making the playoffs one of those years. After that 3rd year where they made the playoffs and lost to the Seahawks, I guess he set expectations too high (in Detroit lol) and they let him go to take the “next step”.... with Patricia.

So that’s 38-28 with 2 playoff appearances,  and 1 losing record when his team was really depleted. With the lions of all teams. We’re not talking about the Steelers. The lions are associated with losing more than just about any franchise in all of professional sports. He’s old now, and maybe the game has passed him by, but I think he should probably have a job. I don’t look at him the same way I look at other retreads. I think you could do a lot worse. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Yeah, we talked about Caldwell earlier in this thread and he is a very good coach. If only he were 10 years younger he would be perfect. If that is where they settled I would still be ok with it because he really can coach. I just would like to see them get someone in to really establish some tradition and be here for the length of Watson’s career here.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I would say more than anything it has to do with Andy Reid’s coaching tree history. If one of the greatest offensive minds ever is vouching for someone this much, I dunno, maybe listen.  

It’s easier to get people to say you’re one of the greatest offensive minds ever when you got to coach Steve Young, Brett Favre, Donovan McNabb, and Pat Mahomes in their primes. 

Such a mess of a franchise

I’ve only been to one game probably 10 years ago. It was so generic and corporate that I doubt I will ever go back

Sounds like fans are finally waking up to reality. I doubt cal cares though - unless the fans don’t come back after covid.

I quit watching a while ago unless I am bored. I try to be a fan but they make it too hard. I was actually glad when the stopped getting shown here in Austin.

We were the first fucking team to announce our HC was fired after WEEK FUCKING 4!! How on earth do we not already have tiered targets identified and back channel convos had by now? The ineptitude is staggering

Well they had to wait for their gm hire first. and that took time since they had to have a fake search committee to vet candidates which they ignored.

DeShaun won't ask for a trade...allegedly.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/solomon-deshaun-watson-won-t-ask-for-a-trade-but-texans-need-to-apologize/ar-BB1cHqGs?ocid=hplocalnews

%7B

Deshaun Watson has not demanded a trade from the Houston Texans.

His displeasure with the way the organization has been run of late is indeed real, but it will not lead to his asking out. Not now, says someone familiar with his thinking.

Whew. So, there won’t be a throng of Texans fans storming NRG Stadium.

That said, the Texans have some work to do to ensure their start quarterback is a happy camper by the time minicamp begins in a few months.

An apology is in order. Watson was led to believe he would be in the loop in the hiring of a general manager.

But after being told his opinion mattered, the Texans turned around and were all but dismissive of Watson in how they went about hiring Nick Caserio.

That is poor management.

There is no room for criticism of Watson here. He didn’t demand to have some say.

To Watson, word is bond. Period. The Texans broke their word.

The organization has to do better.

How special a player is Watson?

J.J. Watt apologized to him as they walked off the field at the end of a 4-12 season. A season in which Watson played at a championship level.

“We wasted one of your years,” Watt said. “I’m sorry.”

Watt, a future Hall of Famer, knows about wasted seasons, wasted years, with the Texans.

Tuesday afternoon, Andre Johnson advised Watson to stand his ground:

“The Texans organization is known for wasting players careers. Since Jack Easterby has walk into the building nothing good has happened in/for the organization and for some reason someone can’t seem to see what’s going on. Pathetic!!!”

Johnson, a Hall of Fame-level player who might not be enshrined, knows about wasted seasons, wasted years with the Texans.

When Dre speaks, EF Hutton listens. (Google that, kids.)

Watson is ahead of the game.

Watt and Johnson didn’t have a Watt and a Johnson counseling them in their careers. They believed in the Texans.

They have learned their lessons.

At some point after Watt leaves for another team later this year, or perhaps when he retires, he will lament the wasted years with the Texans.

Still, Watson isn’t going anywhere.

Thirsty NFL fans are posting pics of Watson in their favorite teams’ uniforms as if they can manifest a trade.

That is not going to happen. It is absolutely impossible.

That Cal McNair didn’t unequivocally dismiss such a notion when he was asked about that during the virtual news conference introducing Caserio is another example of his horrid management.

That Caserio didn’t immediately dismiss Watson trade talk is less concerning, as he spent two decades with New England, and that isn’t the Patriots way.

“Yeah, he's our quarterback, and again, once we have an opportunity to spend some time together, we'll have further discussions,” Caserio said. “I can't tell you how much respect and admiration that I have for him, for who he is as a player and what he means to this franchise.”

The better answer to any question about Watson being traded is “Hell no.”

Caserio would be a fool to trade Watson, and that he isn’t.

The Texans are on shakier ground than the franchise has ever been when it comes to fan support. One can only imagine how ugly crowds would have been had NRG been fully opened this season.

Working to rebuild that trust does not involve trading their best player, who was the only reason the team was worth watching this year.

After spending 15-plus years searching for a top-flight quarterback, the Texans landed Watson in the 2017 draft, thanks to then general manager Rick Smith’s foresight and the Chicago Bears’ lack thereof.

Considering how rare it is to come by Watson-type talent, it would be monumentally stupid to start that search anew.

Yeah, I know, the Texans are quite familiar with monumentally stupid moves, but this would outrank them all.

Caserio is better than that.

Dealing with Jack Easterby is an altogether different deal.

The character coach whose character has been questioned by many, has been a divisive element in the building since he arrived in 2019.

Caserio played word games around it, but it is clear that he will not allow Easterby to have much say in the team’s direction.

The easiest remedy to the Easterby in the room is to send him to you know where, while the rest of us stay in Texas. Caserio isn’t so inclined, though.

Who can blame him?

After all, not only is Easterby his friend, but dude just pushed for him to get a $6-million-a-year gig which makes him one of the highest paid GMs in the NFL.

Um, I could hate a person’s guts and still keep 'em on staff after that kind of hookup.

Despite the despise of many, Easterby will not be the reason the Texans win or lose games going forward.

The fate of the franchise lies in the hands of Caserio and Watson.

It is the former’s job to build a championship roster around the latter.

Years from now, Caserio will be apologizing to Watson for not doing that, or Watson will be thanking Caserio.

Step 1 will be Caserio assuring Watson that a new sheriff is in town.

The missteps, mistakes and misstatements of the past are just that. History.

The distrust is real. Even to the point that a Texans’ player told Sports Illustrated that he was so wary of the Easterby environment that he believed the team had him under surveillance with people following him around.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that Easterby’s not out to get you.

Caserio needs to fix that perception. Quickly.

Oh, and he needs to hire a good coach, too.

Edited by Hate

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

You think the “source” was Watson’s agent?  Also, while I know money is always the most important factor, all things being equal, why would a free agent ever choose Houston. ( nice run-on sentence)

That or someone in his employ. I don't want him to leave, but he did sign the contract while BoB, Easterbunny and Cal were in the building. So he knew their fuckery first hand.

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

You think the “source” was Watson’s agent?  Also, while I know money is always the most important factor, all things being equal, why would a free agent ever choose Houston. ( nice run-on sentence)

I hope that is coming from Deshaun's camp. Mad props to Andre for having the nads to speak the truth giving the leaders of the team encouragement to speak out against snake Easterby.

On 1/12/2021 at 2:08 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

Also, call me crazy, but I think Jim Caldwell is a pretty good coach and he should probably have a job right now. I thought he got a raw deal in Detroit. 

11-5 his first year and lost in the wild card round to the cowboys with a pretty sketchy call sprinkled in there 

7-9 the next year after dealing with a rash of bad injuries (including Stafford) when they started out 1-7.

Then 9-7 his last two years, making the playoffs one of those years. After that 3rd year where they made the playoffs and lost to the Seahawks, I guess he set expectations too high (in Detroit lol) and they let him go to take the “next step”.... with Patricia.

So that’s 38-28 with 2 playoff appearances,  and 1 losing record when his team was really depleted. With the lions of all teams. We’re not talking about the Steelers. The lions are associated with losing more than just about any franchise in all of professional sports. He’s old now, and maybe the game has passed him by, but I think he should probably have a job. I don’t look at him the same way I look at other retreads. I think you could do a lot worse. 

Gentleman Jim playing the long game. He'll never win anything, and nobody will ever say a negative word about him. Just an all around great guy. 

16 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Can you summarize? Can't get this garbage website to play.

Basically, the caller, a retired minister, said that Easterby, Cal and Caserio are like the true believers in a religious community/cult and that they are so committed to what they believe is the right path that with their creation of a culture that nothing will get in their way and stop them-  not even their star QB and ring of honor member. He said he saw this play out in a church context lots of times 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it is even more than just culture.  I think they want a truly Christian football team.  I think their ultimate goal would be to only go after players their share their morality.  Let's see how forcing your morality on a bunch of rich 20 year olds goes for you Cal. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hate said:

I think it is even more than just culture.  I think they want a truly Christian football team.  I think their ultimate goal would be to only go after players their share their morality.  Let's see how forcing your morality on a bunch of rich 20 year olds goes for you Cal. 

Beyond that, let's see how forcing their morality on an entire city goes.

All the other rehab coaches came in humbled and understanding that there were not the next jedi master. Chin is an arrogant prick who thinks he is on Satan's level. So when Nick tells him not to run a draw play on 3rd n 15, he'll do it anyway. Because he's going to show everyone he knows what he is doing.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Hate said:

They did tell VY's family they couldn't draft him because David Carr was a nice christian boy.

4 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

It should go well. Houston is a very clean-cut, industrious city that embraces traditional, conservative lifestyles. There are not a lot of differing viewpoints from people from wildly different cultural or ethnic backgrounds, and the city as a whole tends to police and regulate itself when it comes to uncouth or debaucherous behavior. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Joel Osteen sells out the old Slumitt every Sunday.  There is no shortage of self righteousness in this city.  There are also many oil field personnel with side pieces that they have to keep quiet.  It's kind of a weird city.  

Cal is a fuckface, part 1,290.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/john-mcclain/article/Cal-McNair-Texans-Deshaun-Watson-Jack-Easterby-15873730.php

Texans owner Cal McNair said Friday that Jack Easterby isn’t going anywhere, that he’s communicated with Deshaun Watson and he understands Andre Johnson’s frustration that led to his controversial tweet this week about the organization, specifically Easterby.

Despite widespread criticism of Easterby, including by Johnson, and recent reports that he could be out after two seasons, McNair repeated his support of his executive vice president of football operations who will continue to have a significant role on his side of the organization.

Asked if he would fire Easterby, McNair said, “No.”

Asked if Easterby would be resigning, he said, “No, not that I know of."

“The scrutiny on Jack is really unjustified," McNair said. "Jack was put into that role (interim GM) the organization needed by me. If missteps were made during that process, we’ll own those within our building. Jack will (return) to the role he was brought here for and what he grew into after he got here.”

As for Watson, the quarterback who’s unhappy because he wasn’t kept up to date on the general manager search that brought Nick Caserio to the Texans, McNair said, “Deshaun and I connected over text since he’s returned from vacation. It’s no secret he’s disappointed in the (lack of) communication during the hiring process.”

McNair wouldn’t disclose the content of his text messages with Watson.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, SimkinsMan said:

No idea if this guy knows shit, but I'm not complaining about the content of the tweet.

Pancakes either doesn't know what is going on behind the scenes or refuses to write about it. National guys are ten times better than this fuckface.  McClain is an absolute embarrassment to Houston and journalism for his lazy ass reporting and sucking up to the ownership of the NFL teams that have battered us over the years. He was defending Bud for moving the Oilers and was a shill for BOB and Cal. Pathetic, as he likes to say.

Edited by Macklemore

28 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:

Well I guess Cal’s using his “fuck you” money to say fuck you to the fans.

What pisses me off about the Texans is their hubris, lack of self-reflection and indifference to the loyal, suffering fans of Houston. Starting in 2006 by drafting Mario over VY, keeping BOB around for 7 years and letting Easterby slither his way up this organization, they have repeatedly given the fans the middle finger. You'd think that after 20 years of mediocrity, that ownership would try to change what hasn't been working. Nope. The McNairs are wedded to the Texans way, which is reactive, slow and opposite of what winning organizations like the Ravens do. Payne and Pendergast said that the McNairs most likely would prevent the hiring of Bieniemy because of DUIs and assault charges he had almost THIRTY YEARS ago when he was in college. That mentality is racist in and of itself because of how blacks are disproportionately subjected to harassment by the cops. They want choir boys. Choir boys don't win football games.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Those are the lines to a Future song. He even posted the song title after making that post.

There is plenty to be upset about, but harping over ever word someone mentions on social media, with no context, is tiresome.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1