2021 Houston Texans offseason thread

Macklemore

If a player holds out and is not paid/is fined, I don’t believe they count against the salary cap. Like the case with Leveon Bell’s holdout a few years ago, if the player doesn’t report for at least 6 or 8 games, that year doesn’t count as a year against their contract. So holding out a year will just extend how long the Texans control his rights and he wouldn’t be counting against their 2021 cap. 

Now where he could screw them is hold out, wait for them to sign a replacement QB or other guys that put them close to the cap limit, then show up so his salary would put them over the cap. It would get ugly all around, worse than now. 

If he genuinely wants to be traded and not a vindictive asshole, and the Texans aren’t financial retards, DW should restructure his deal immediately to move guaranteed bonus/signing money to a later date so that the Texans don’t get hit with a $22-25M cap hit the moment he gets traded. If not, that’s $22-25M in money/cap space his next will save which should be factored into the trade compensation. 

• Like 1

I believe Cal has a disability of some sort.

Don't know him, but the looks and sound... It could just be social anxiety, but there's something there... He's not even at Fredo level. Fredo was just unaware and untrained. This guy is... Who knows.

And Mom is 84.

C'mon, Jim Crane... Or any of these new Texas billionaires... Make Janice an offer she can't refuse.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If a player holds out and is not paid/is fined, I don’t believe they count against the salary cap. Like the case with Leveon Bell’s holdout a few years ago, if the player doesn’t report for at least 6 or 8 games, that year doesn’t count as a year against their contract. So holding out a year will just extend how long the Texans control his rights and he wouldn’t be counting against their 2021 cap. 

Right but what are the Texans going to do? Sign a bunch of guys hoping that Deshaun doesn't report? Wait to see what happens with Deshaun before you sign anyone - potentially missing the relevant FA period? Have him sit there and not count against the cap as one of the 5 best trade assets in the league? 

If he has indicated that he isn't going to play, you have to trade him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Right but what are the Texans going to do? Sign a bunch of guys hoping that Deshaun doesn't report? Wait to see what happens with Deshaun before you sign anyone - potentially missing the relevant FA period? Have him sit there and not count against the cap as one of the 5 best trade assets in the league? 

Or say look, if you want to play football, you will do it for us or not at all.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That’s not a sufficient reason to get buttfucked on a trade. Haven’t Houston fans been punished enough on this front between Hopkins then Harden? Tua + 3 first rounders or 4 first rounders from someone else in return for a generational talent who is only 25 and locked up for 5 more seasons. Fuck this bullshit of Tua plus one first round pick. As I stated earlier, the Texans would also be eating $22-25M in cap hit for his next team, and we already established in the Osweiler trade that that alone is worth a 2nd round pick. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I believe Cal has a disability of some sort.

Don't know him, but the looks and sound... It could just be social anxiety, but there's something there... He's not even at Fredo level. Fredo was just unaware and untrained. This guy is... Who knows.

And Mom is 84.

C'mon, Jim Crane... Or any of these new Texas billionaires... Make Janice an offer she can't refuse.

We're Texas?

cal-mcnair.jpg

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

You can lose a lawsuit for refusing to let an employee out of a contract they signed or trading him to his desired opponent (likely with below value return)???

You don't think that if the Texans told him "you'll either play for us or you won't play at all" there might be some issues?

2 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Yeah just because he wants out doesn’t mean you get beat in a trade.

Tua plus two 1st and two 2nd seems fair and the minimum that should be accepted. Three 1st and one 2nd would be awesome. Obviously somewhat matters where those 1st are projected to land.

Tua, plus the Laremy Tunsil picks, plus a few more first and second round picks would be fine.

I am a Christian and believe in prayer and Christ’s redemption and forgiveness. Nevertheless, insincere charlatans like Easterby who use religion to gain power belong in the 7th circle of hell in my book. This account of Easterbunny makes me sick:

6747e18d411321bd3e177186ad3f49f6.png

I am sick of what Houston teams are doing to their fans. Fuck Cal and fuck Tilman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Last year Joe Mixon essentially faked like he had really bad migraines until the bengals gave him a long term deal (aka until he got what he wanted). Then he immediately returned to practice as if his migraines were cured. What would stop Watson from pulling something like that? Anything? Isn’t that the hold out loophole.

After a certain point, he’s just too valuable an asset to just sit on if he isn’t going to play. If the Dolphins can put together a god father package for a guy that doesn’t even want to be with your organization, you have go be interested in that. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

This organization has been shit from the very beginning, I never liked the name, the colors or toro. Piss poor decisions in the draft, coaches, wasting talent, no VY. I've said from the get go, just because a billionaire buys a team and drops it in my city doesn't mean I'll support them, that has be earned. 20 or so years into this mess, never been to a game or bought anything with their name or logo on, fuck em
I'm adopting whatever team JJ gets moved to next season.

52 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Last year Joe Mixon essentially faked like he had really bad migraines until the bengals gave him a long term deal (aka until he got what he wanted). Then he immediately returned to practice as if his migraines were cured. What would stop Watson from pulling something like that? Anything? Isn’t that the hold out loophole.

After a certain point, he’s just too valuable an asset to just sit on if he isn’t going to play. If the Dolphins can put together a god father package for a guy that doesn’t even want to be with your organization, you have go be interested in that. 

Has Miami management made a single comment regarding Watson?  There is A LOT of speculation in this thread.  

So about 12 years ago Pool jr ( then age 6) was playing madden/Texans and even on EA they sucked ass and he was pissed.  So I changed his home team to Payton/colts.  He was hooked.  Been a Colts fan ever since and we've joined him.  (I know! csb!) So my advice is to follow anybody but the fucking Texans.  Of course I stopped watching the NFL about 85 when Earl went to new orleans.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Sore hammy is also a good one for that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

The Texans seem to be trying to set a record for the amount of horrendously stupid decisions a team can make in an offseason. Keeping Easterby and know let’s keep Tim Kelly, a guy who would be lucky to get a position coach job in the NFL. Let’s bring Mike Devlin back too!!