2021 Houston Texans offseason thread

Macklemore

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

A writer... Deserves blame... For two football franchises not making the Superbowl.

Sarcasm, hyperbole, cocaine.

McClain is supposed to cover and opine about the team objectively for the benefit of Houston Chronicle readers like myself and not be an embarrassing shill for these inept teams. Do you think beat reporters in Boston, Philly and NY would act like him? Hell no. The 4th Estate's role is to inform and to demand accountability from the institutions they cover. McClain's lack of a backbone has allowed the McNairs and Bud to fuck over the fans of this city by first moving our beloved Oilers and excusing horrific moves by BOB and McNair. We are the only team in the AFC South to not make the AFC Championship game in the past 5 years. A division that includes the Jags. Pancakes never fails to mention the AFC South championships which mean squat and didn't think BOB deserved to be fired. He is an accomplice to the beating these teams have put on us. 

Edited by Macklemore

On 1/16/2021 at 4:40 PM, Smax said:

This organization has been shit from the very beginning, I never liked the name, the colors or toro. Piss poor decisions in the draft, coaches, wasting talent, no VY. I've said from the get go, just because a billionaire buys a team and drops it in my city doesn't mean I'll support them, that has be earned. 20 or so years into this mess, never been to a game or bought anything with their name or logo on, fuck em

Brother?

Preach- it’s like you crawled inside my head. This has been my take since the beginning. 

Pancakes should have been fired when the Oiler left town. His MO is to tongue tickle the nuts of the Adams (even to this day despite Houston having a new franchise for 18 years) and McNair families. He always peddled their moronic personnel and draft decisions as wise per anonymous league graybeards. He believes his access makes him a better, smarter, and more knowledgeable fan than any of us on a lazyboy. 

That said, he is not responsible for franchises not winning Super Bowls. NYC and Philly have the harshest sports media in the country and has that helped the Knicks, Jets, 76ers, Eagles (aside from a miracle playoff run) of Giants (aside from two very improbable playoff runs)? Pancakes should be fired because he sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Pancakes should have been fired when the Oiler left town. His MO is to tongue tickle the nuts of the Adams (even to this day despite Houston having a new franchise for 18 years) and McNair families. He always peddled their moronic personnel and draft decisions as wise per anonymous league graybeards. He believes his access makes him a better, smarter, and more knowledgeable fan than any of us on a lazyboy. 

That said, he is not responsible for franchises not winning Super Bowls. NYC and Philly have the harshest sports media in the country and has that helped the Knicks, Jets, 76ers, Eagles (aside from a miracle playoff run) of Giants (aside from two very improbable playoff runs)? Pancakes should be fired because he sucks. 

Pancakes has pissed me off since I was a kid following the Oilers. The way the Texans are covered is Charmin soft compared to other cities. Pancakes sycophancy gives the Texans room to pull off bullshit like pulling media credentials from those who are too critical of the team. That directly plays an impact on the pressure an organization feels to win. It's better than it used to be back in the days of the Oilers when all we had to listen to was SportsBeat on 740 and have to hear his fatass all the time. Aaron Wilson does a pretty good job and would give the city of Houston NFL coverage that it deserves. Brian T Smith is legit and calls this team to the carpet as it deserves. Thankfully, he has high enough of a profile where the Texans can't silence him.

• Like 1

I know pancakes a little bit through someone in the media, he is worthless, they know he is worthless but the ratings on his segments on 610 are some of the highest ones they get all day.    He is a problem yes, but the real problem is the chronicle has no desire to have a true opinion columnist.   Ed Fowler wouldn't have put up with this, hell fucking John Lopez when he was at the Post would have been writing 3 times a week about what a cluster fuck this is.    Pancakes is official stenographer for the Texans, and that would be okay if there were columnists that would do the heavy lifting.     The chronicle has let sports talk be that opinion wing of the media, but no one really cares what the jackasses on the air think.  And everyone at 610 is scared to get too sideways with the team (outside of seth maybe.)

The Astrodome was a shit hole in the 80s.

Mario Williams was the correct pick, not VY.  

i see Mack brought up Brian T Smith, he could do what needs to be done, but he has alienated so many people with his hot takes that people tend to tune him out IMO.

Edited by Mr. Drummond

I’m bracing myself for a trade of Watson analogous to what they did for Hopkins. Tua + a single first, or worse yet Darnold plus a single first, or maybe worst just the #1 overall alone from Jax and getting to watch Watson beat our shit twice a year while Sunshine Lawrence turns out to not live up to his hype. 

The floor for any trade of Watson should be 3 first rounders. I think Darnold’s present value if the Jets try to dump him is a second rounder, maybe a 3+4; something slightly better than what AZ got for Rosen. Darnold plus two #1’s wouldn’t be worth it to me if I was Caserio. 

56 minutes ago, Mr. Drummond said:

I know pancakes a little bit through someone in the media, he is worthless, they know he is worthless but the ratings on his segments on 610 are some of the highest ones they get all day.    He is a problem yes, but the real problem is the chronicle has no desire to have a true opinion columnist.   Ed Fowler wouldn't have put up with this, hell fucking John Lopez when he was at the Post would have been writing 3 times a week about what a cluster fuck this is.    Pancakes is official stenographer for the Texans, and that would be okay if there were columnists that would do the heavy lifting.     The chronicle has let sports talk be that opinion wing of the media, but no one really cares what the jackasses on the air think.  And everyone at 610 is scared to get too sideways with the team (outside of seth maybe.)

The Astrodome was a shit hole in the 80s.

i see Mack brought up Brian T Smith, he could do what needs to be done, but he has alienated so many people with his hot takes that people tend to tune him out IMO.

I really believe VY's career trajectory would have been much different if he played at home in a Gary Kubiak offense instead of playing for 7-9 Fisher. That offense with a mobile QB is practically unstoppable in the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Mr. Drummond said:

They had pretty similar careers so I'm not sure how you figure that. 

Man... that's really not true. I forgot how short Vince's career was. Williams had about 7 good years and that was about twice as much as Vince.

Edited by ztejas

16 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

I really believe VY's career trajectory would have been much different if he played at home in a Gary Kubiak offense instead of playing for 7-9 Fisher. That offense with a mobile QB is practically unstoppable in the NFL.

It's one of these things we will never know of course, and you could very well be right, but im not sure Vince was ready to be a star in his hometown, as we have seen, he doesn't always make great choices.

But we can all agree - fuck Jeff Fisher.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Macklemore said:

VY didn't take it serious enough in Tennessee, it would have been a hell of a lot worse in Houston and the Texans knew it.

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

or maybe worst just the #1 overall alone from Jax and getting to watch Watson beat our shit twice a year while Sunshine Lawrence turns out to not live up to his hype. 

Lawrence is going to slam and go hard. The chance of him not living up to the hype is slim to none. You would have to be Houston to trade out of the #1 pick this year 

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Lawrence is going to slam and go hard. The chance of him not living up to the hype is slim to none. You would have to be Houston to trade out of the #1 pick this year 

Are you saying Jax shouldn’t have to pay anything more than the #1 pick for Watson?

On 1/16/2021 at 2:40 PM, Smax said:

This organization has been shit from the very beginning, I never liked the name, the colors or toro. Piss poor decisions in the draft, coaches, wasting talent, no VY. I've said from the get go, just because a billionaire buys a team and drops it in my city doesn't mean I'll support them, that has be earned. 20 or so years into this mess, never been to a game or bought anything with their name or logo on, fuck em

I wanted to be a Texans fan but it always felt fake and forced. The front office constantly fucking up never helped things and it just didn't take.

Apologies if it has been discussed, was there ever any chance of buying back the name/logo/colors from Tenn? It's such a fucking waste that they can sit on them forever without using them. Seems like a few million could have gotten it done. When the Seattle NBA franchise left for OKC the city retained the name and logo in the event they get an expansion team but I'm not sure if that was dictated by the NBA or what.

I'm sure it's too late now but if there was ever a time to tear down the franchise and build it back up from the studs now is the time. Bringing back the powder blue and "Oilers" would be amazing.

Edited by UncleSonny

I think the Texans will end up hiring Bienemy and Watson will stay. But if that’s not the case, he damn well better waive his no trade clause completely. If he tries to cherry pick teams he will go to, preventing the team from getting the best value, then they should play hardball. 

Edited by TonyTexas

42 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I wanted to be a Texans fan but it always felt fake and forced. The front office constantly fucking up never helped things and it just didn't take.

Apologies if it has been discussed, was there ever any chance of buying back the name/logo/colors from Tenn? It's such a fucking waste that they can sit on them forever without using them. Seems like a few million could have gotten it done. When the Seattle NBA franchise left for OKC the city retained the name and logo in the event they get an expansion team but I'm not sure if that was dictated by the NBA or what.

I'm sure it's too late now but if there was ever a time to tear down the franchise and build it back up from the studs now is the time. Bringing back the powder blue and "Oilers" would be amazing.

Art Modell gave up the rights to all of the Browns name, likeness, etc as a condition of being able to move to Baltimore because he was house poor and had to do whatever he needed. Bud Adams wasn’t in that position, and given that the city of Houston / Harris County / Drayton ShitbagcClane wer telling him to fuck himself (even after offering to pay for 1/3 of a new stadium), he made no such concession.

I agree wholeheartedly though - a return to Columbia Blue and the Oilers name would rejuvenate the fanbase in H-Town. It’ll never happen, but it should...

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I'm sure that dude knows fuck all. It's not hard to see Bieniemy as the favorite given the dire situation with Watson and the hastily arranged Zoom interview.

I suspect the real issue is Easterby control, as in, can EB cut that fuck from the team?

Edited by SimkinsMan

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

I’m sure it's too late now but if there was ever a time to tear down the franchise and build it back up from the studs now is the time. Bringing back the powder blue and "Oilers" would be amazing.

I thought there might have been an olive branch and $$$ offered after Bud died, but Bud’s daughter has been repeatedly cunty in interviews when the topic came up, and I think Bob McNair was too proud to ask what it would take anyway. Cal McNair is just retarded and oblivious. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Are you saying Jax shouldn’t have to pay anything more than the #1 pick for Watson?

I'm saying it doesn't make sense for either side. Jax is risking too much giving away the most sure thing to come from a draft since Peyton Manning, and Houston has a dude like Elway who you just know is going to win the game for you. Both sides will require too much and deservedly so

19 hours ago, hookem48 said:

VY didn't take it serious enough in Tennessee, it would have been a hell of a lot worse in Houston and the Texans knew it.

This is bullshit. 

Yes, VY might have flamed out quickly in Houston. But we don't know that. The organization had the opportunity to make an Earl Campbell-like draft pick and passed to select a combine warrior. 

If VY didn't work out for the Texans, fans wouldn't have blamed the front office for making the pick. It was a no-lose situation and they fucked it up. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Some of you in here still complaining about Houston drafting VY in 2006 need to let it go. 14 years ago and still holding on to it. It's done and if you don't like Texans because of that, your choice. Please stop getting on every Texans post and complanining about thus, move on..... You are starting to sound like a married spouse who holds on to something you did 2 years ago and keeps reminding you of it.

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, TexasGrunt said:

Some of you in here still complaining about Houston drafting VY in 2006 need to let it go. 14 years ago and still holding on to it. It's done and if you don't like Texans because of that, your choice. Please stop getting on every Texans post and complanining about thus, move on..... You are starting to sound like a married spouse who holds on to something you did 2 years ago and keeps reminding you of it.

THANK YOU

2 hours ago, TexasGrunt said:

I'm not complaining. It was actually very helpful. 14 years ago solidified that this was a terrible franchise with pathetic ownership, and I decided to never take it seriously again. 

Nothing since has made them look better. And if they have to trade DeShaun Watson,  y'all should all ask for your money back. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 1/18/2021 at 11:34 AM, Macklemore said:

Mad props to the fans out at NRG and to these guys for putting the signs up. Makes me proud as a Houston fan.

Jack Easterby is a symptom

Bill O'Brien was a symptom

The McNair family is the disease.  I have been saying that since very nearly the formation of the franchise when they selected Charlie Casserly to be the franchise architect.  Yes the dipshit who basically fucked up the 1980s Redskins dynasty to which the "football team" has never really recovered.

Side note: As the garbage burns
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=30742158

Edited by Pimphand
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3