2021 Houston Texans offseason thread

Macklemore

Pancakes is almost certainly getting his info directly from the team.

Spoiler

Because general manager Nick Caserio has interviewed only two candidates two times, it seems safe to say the Texans are going to choose between Leslie Frazier and David Culley to become their new head coach – a decision that could come before the weekend.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/john-mcclain/article/McClain-coach-Leslie-Frazier-David-Culley-Texans-15902161.php

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Damnit...I didn’t know anything about David Culley so I was hoping he was young. Nope, he’s 65.

He is 65 and has NEVER been a coordinator at any point in his career. Let me repeat that, he has been coaching since the 70s and no one has thought he was coordinator material yet Easterfuck and Caserio have him as a finalist for this job. Do you know how hard it is to be a coach for that long and to never have advanced far enough to be a coordinator. That means for almost 5 full decades, no head coach or organization thought he had what it takes to lead an offense. What a fucking joke.

3 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

He is 65 and has NEVER been a coordinator at any point in his career. Let me repeat that, he has been coaching since the 70s and no one has thought he was coordinator material yet Easterfuck and Caserio have him as a finalist for this job. Do you know how hard it is to be a coach for that long and to never have advanced far enough to be a coordinator. That means for almost 5 full decades, no head coach or organization thought he had what it takes to lead an offense. What a fucking joke.

Sounds like someone they can control. 

6 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

He is a man of God who fits the culture. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fico said:

When was the last time McClain has been correct?  He has zero connections and zero insight.  Hell, that coming from McClain basically ensures it Bieniemy.

This is a bad take. McClain is a buffoon in many ways, but he is well sourced with the Texans ownership. Has covered them since day one and never really criticizes them. When he reports something like this, he's getting it directly from McNair.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TexasGrunt said:

I think Culley has same agent as Easterby and Casserio? I saw that mentioned. But yes some they can control and force Kelly on....

Watson wants Kelly, has stated such, and he just helped Watson put together a historical statistical season.  Keeping Kelly is anything we should be worried about here.  There are 1000 other things that need to be addressed prior to any concern with Kelly staying on board.

It's also crazy to me that a team chaplain or VP or people of whatever the fuck Easterby was/is, has an agent... 

1 minute ago, SimkinsMan said:

This is a bad take. McClain is a buffoon in many ways, but he is well sourced with the Texans ownership. Has covered them since day one and never really criticizes them. When he reports something like this, he's getting it directly from McNair.

He is not well sourced at all and hasn't been in years.  Seriously go back and find that last thing that he "broke" that turned out to be accurate.... it doesn't exist.

30 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Cal & Jack: Yeah but he loves Jesus

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Haha 1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/gary-kubiak-describes-texans-candidate-david-culley-as-energy-in-the-building/ar-BB1d9ezn

Culley connected with Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson, who’s in a dispute with the team over a lack of input into the hiring process, while coaching him at the Pro Bowl last year with the Ravens’ coaching staff.

1 minute ago, Hate said:

I’ve thought that same thing. Someone they can hire to be fired in a few years and someone that will work for cheap comparatively.

You've got a young franchise QB. Figure you'd trust your evaluation and hire a young coach who could coach him throughout his career... instead you're looking at two guys in their 60s.

Not an ageist or anything, but...

That was my hope, but clearly not what the Texans have in mind for some reason. Find the next McVeigh (Sean not Timothy), Stefanski, LaFleur, or Taylor to pair with and grow with Deshaun for the next 10 years rather than someone who is more likely to die than not in the next 10 years.

• Hook 'Em 2

Maybe it’s over and they know it, so their play is to try to make it look like they are in control and it was all their decision to move Watson and rebuild? No matter what they get back in a trade, they will be claiming it was great value just like the DHop trade. 

Holy shit they better get at least 3 first round picks and one of them a top 5 this year....

16 minutes ago, Hate said:

That's why the Jets are really the only choice as far as the Texans are concerned, but I don't know why Deshaun would want to go there.  They are at least as dysfunctional as the Texans if not more dysfunctional. 

No Easterby is a pretty compelling argument for why it's better than Houston. 

• Like 2

Everyone reporting now that Culley is the hire.  A ton of young, innovative, experience, and well qualified coaches out there - but lets hire the guy who in 40+ years of coaching never rose to the level of coordinator - at any level.

Born again and shares the same agent as Easterby and Caserio, Bob LaMonte. A winning combo to be sure.

Fuck Cal and Jack and the Texans.
  • Like 1

That was my hope, but clearly not what the Texans have in mind for some reason. Find the next McVeigh (Sean not Timothy), Stefanski, LaFleur, or Taylor to pair with and grow with Deshaun for the next 10 years rather than someone who is more likely to die than not in the next 10 years.

Bringing Timothy McVeigh in would be the best way to blow up the team and start a fresh rebuild...
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Probably mentioned up thread.

I heard on ESPN today Watson to Miami was a possibility. Really?

Tua and picks. Lots of picks. We better be picking top 5 in a couple months. 

Edited by Js1

5 hours ago, Hate said:

That's why the Jets are really the only choice as far as the Texans are concerned, but I don't know why Deshaun would want to go there.  They are at least as dysfunctional as the Texans if not more dysfunctional. 

Yes. The Jets are likely to suck even with Watson. The Dolphins would be good, and their future picks would be almost useless, because I am imagining this personnel department will be well below league average.