2021 Houston Texans offseason thread

Macklemore

46 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Couldn’t disagree more. You’ve got a perfect bandaid for a tank year in Tyrod. Bolster the defense or WR or OL or any of the other infinite holes on this team, and then get your QB with the top 5 pick you are sure to have next year. Makes no sense unless they think Mills is a sleeper superstar.

His stats were actually pretty good, but the big question is 11 starts. Tyrod is going to start most of the season, while Mills is learning.

Nico Collins isn't a horrible pick either, but that was a lot of capital to give up.

So they have picked two guys that played in pro offenses in college.

This team has more talent than it did last year, I just have no confidence in the coaching staff actually doing anything with it.

I guess the best the Texans can hope for is that Watson gets a year suspension that you can trade him for maybe 4-5 picks next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

His stats were actually pretty good, but the big question is 11 starts. Tyrod is going to start most of the season, while Mills is learning.
Nico Collins isn't a horrible pick either, but that was a lot of capital to give up.
So they have picked two guys that played in pro offenses in college.
This team has more talent than it did last year, I just have no confidence in the coaching staff actually doing anything with it.
I guess the best the Texans can hope for is that Watson gets a year suspension that you can trade him for maybe 4-5 picks next year.

Do what now?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I mean the entire franchise value was tied up in Watson, whether he’s your long time elite franchise QB or a guy who can get you a historic amount of draft picks. That entire thing has been at least temporarily unraveled.

The QB class is garbage next year.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Nah I think the best case scenario is Watson getting an 8-gm suspension, Tyrod getting another injury in week 1 that opens the door for Mills, he plays like Herbert and Watson comes back and plays like a stud so the Texans are rich at QB and have the luxury of moving one or keeping both guys.

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Do what now?

That isn't a controversial statement. The Texans shored up several positions in FA, they brought in more talent than they had at those positions last year. You can improve and still be a shitty team. The Texans did that. I get it, you hate everything they do. I can understand that sentiment, this franchise is owned by a fucking retard. That doesn't mean they haven't gotten better than they were after the final snap of the 2020 season.

• Hook 'Em 3

That isn't a controversial statement. The Texans shored up several positions in FA, they brought in more talent than they had at those positions last year. You can improve and still be a shitty team. The Texans did that. I get it, you hate everything they do. I can understand that sentiment, this franchise is owned by a fucking retard. That doesn't mean they haven't gotten better than they were after the final snap of the 2020 season.

The modest improvements made to the rest of the team will in no way counter the drop off at QB. Watson single-handedly won us games last season.

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The modest improvements made to the rest of the team will in no way counter the drop off at QB. Watson single-handedly won us games last season.

But we still don't even know what that drop-off will look like in terms of the number of games suspended. Watson will surely miss some considerable time next year, but that allows the opportunity to develop Mills or lean on Taylor or Finley as the starter. The QB class in 2022 looks pretty meh if not outright shitty right now so it's understandable that they would take a QB in the third round if they think he has big time talent but needs some development. 

But we still don't even know what that drop-off will look like in terms of the number of games suspended. Watson will surely miss some considerable time next year, but that allows the opportunity to develop Mills or lean on Taylor or Finley as the starter. The QB class in 2022 looks pretty meh if not outright shitty right now so it's understandable that they would take a QB in the third round if they think he has big time talent but needs some development. 

Yeah, that was the caveat I threw into my initial post. If the Mills pick was done after analyzing the position in next year’s class, then maybe I can understand the logic. I have seen some takes that think another year of film could have propelled him into the first round. That would make this pick quite savvy, but I’m just not giving these guys the benefit of the doubt just yet.

39 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

If the Texans get Chuba at pick 109 in the 4th round I will be extremely pleased. I’m coming around on the QB we took. If the draft grades for QBs next year are terrible, it makes sense.

They traded that pick to move up for Nico Collins, the next pick is the 5th rounder.

9 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

We went 4-12.  He doesn’t want to be in Houston.  Fine. Get picks in 2022 and 2023.  Miami has a ton and when they don’t win with Tua, they will pony up.  Let Casierio work. I haven’t disagreed with anything he’s done to date.  He had a mess to clean up and is doing a solid job of fixing the cap issues.  

• Hook 'Em 1

We went 4-12.  He doesn’t want to be in Houston.  Fine. Get picks in 2022 and 2023.  Miami has a ton and when they don’t win with Tua, they will pony up.  Let Casierio work. I haven’t disagreed with anything he’s done to date.  He had a mess to clean up and is doing a solid job of fixing the cap issues.  

My response wasn’t meant to be a dig at Caserio. He’s done fine given the shitshow he inherited. But there’s no way to say next years team will be more talented than last season if Deshaun isn’t on it, no matter how many holes are filled with replacement level players. Not to mention the loss of our leading TD receiver and the guy who (isn’t as good as he once was, but still) led the team in TFL and QB hits.

That being said, the goal should be to tank next season so I have no issues with the pre-draft team Caserio is currently constructing.

Texans are in a complete rebuild. Giving away even more picks and picking skill players is stupid, stupid, stupid. They need foundational pieces on the line and they needed those picks.

I’m not sure trading picks to get an earlier pick ever makes sense except to get into the Top 10 or 15. After that, you’re just losing chances to find future starters.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

This point seems to be missing from all the raging Texans fans pissed about the pick while also predicting a 2022 tank season to draft another franchise quarterback. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

I’m not sure trading picks to get an earlier pick ever makes sense except to get into the Top 10 or 15. After that, you’re just losing chances to find future starters.

You're not wrong but I think the volume strategy you're in favor of was implemented in the massive roster turnover and free agent acquisitions this offseason. Short, incentive-laden deals to fill holes all over the roster. I'm not sure that there's a huge difference in talent with potential 4th rd picks and the guys Caserio targeted in FA. I think Mills is better value in the third round than the potential college qbs in the next draft, but that's admittedly just guesswork. Still, none of those names compare to the names we saw in this year's qb class or the class of 2020. 

Edited by Gourmand

12 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

It seems like that’s said most years yet doesn’t prevent several being drafted in the top 10. It is likely that Mills would be one of those guys had he decided to stay at Stanford. The Texans might be able to leverage  next year’s high 1st into multiple picks.

Edited by TonyTexas

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

It seems like that’s said most years yet doesn’t prevent several being drafted in the top 10. The Texans might be able to leverage that next year into multiple picks

This is true but do you honestly see any of the names on next year's draft list as worthy of a top-five pick on talent alone? None of them look like future NFL first rd picks like Watson, Mahomes, Tua, or Burrow. I suppose Burrow does prove your point though because his draft stock heading into his junior season wasn't anywhere close to the overall #1 pick. 

You're not wrong but I think the volume strategy you're in favor of was implemented in the massive roster turnover and free agent acquisitions this offseason. Short, incentive-laden deals to fill holes all over the roster. I'm not sure that there's a huge difference in talent with potential 4th rd picks and the guys Caserio targeted in FA. I think Mills is better value in the third round than the potential college qbs in the next draft, but that's admittedly just guesswork. Still, none of those names compare to the names we saw in this year's qb class or the class of 2020. 

Looks like Texans FA acquisitions leaned towards short-term, stop-gap guys that can play and not take up cap space. Maybe a few young guys that are reclamation projects. But they have yet to begin to build anything back up yet. Clearing up cap space is all Caeserio has accomplished so far.

But trading away picks for a skill position makes little sense since a receiver is dependent on linemen and a passer. And there is so much depth at receiver these days.

The trades work on a value chart basis. As far as the pick, I don’t know enough to judge. But I question the process as detailed in Finster’s post. 

What do you question? They made the initial trade with about 15 picks to go, which never happens at this phase of the draft (because you are likely only doing this to grab a specific player or two and you usually want to make sure he will be there before pulling the trigger). Obviously something spooked them because they then moved up 4 spots again a little while later. They gave up 3 picks to move 33 spots. I have no idea the “value” of these trades, but to have faith in this management to just give away three picks when the team is so bereft of talent requires a benefit of the doubt that I do not believe they have earned.
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

What do you question? They made the initial trade with about 15 picks to go, which never happens at this phase of the draft (because you are likely only doing this to grab a specific player or two and you usually want to make sure he will be there before pulling the trigger). Obviously something spooked them because they then moved up 4 spots again a little while later. They gave up 3 picks to move 33 spots. I have no idea the “value” of these trades, but to have faith in this management to just give away three picks when the team is so bereft of talent requires a benefit of the doubt that I do not believe they have earned.

You misunderstood my point. I was questioning the Texans’ thought process, same as you. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This team is a beating. Kind of considering going the free agent route like @RGBIII. I was a Cowboys fan for much of the 90s. The Bills Mafia seem bat shit crazy, I like that. Any other suggestions? 

I haven’t regretted a single second leaving

52 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I haven’t regretted a single second leaving

What you don’t miss yelling at the TV at the stupid shit they do every game with ever present rage and disgust that boils over like a volcano. Man you’re missing out :)

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

What you don’t miss yelling at the TV at the stupid shit they do every game with ever present rage and disgust that boils over like a volcano. Man you’re missing out :)

I destroyed a DVD player with a baseball bat in 2008, I know that feeling. Not good for the health

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Gourmand said:

This is true but do you honestly see any of the names on next year's draft list as worthy of a top-five pick on talent alone? None of them look like future NFL first rd picks like Watson, Mahomes, Tua, or Burrow. I suppose Burrow does prove your point though because his draft stock heading into his junior season wasn't anywhere close to the overall #1 pick. 

Neither Watson nor Mahomes were top-5 picks; a year before he was drafted, the latter was considered a fringe 1st rounder at best...

35 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I destroyed a DVD player with a baseball bat in 2008, I know that feeling. Not good for the health

The Houston Oilers lost their season opener to the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday night in September, 1968.  When I got home from the game, I punched a hole in the garage wall.  So, my mom bought me a heavy duty punching bag which I still beat the shit out of today.  The best time to work out is when you’re angry.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1