2021 Houston Texans offseason thread

Macklemore

20 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Neither Watson nor Mahomes were top-5 picks; a year before he was drafted, the latter was considered a fringe 1st rounder at best...

I am aware, my point was they were easily consensus rd 1 picks well ahead of the 2017 draft and arguably in their junior seasons. I don't follow college football that closely but I knew those names and easily thought Watson in particular was an elite talent worthy of a top 10 pick because of his big game performances. Same for Tua. 

23 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

The Houston Oilers lost their season opener to the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday night in September, 1968.  When I got home from the game, I punched a hole in the garage wall.  So, my mom bought me a heavy duty punching bag which I still beat the shit out of today.  The best time to work out is when you’re angry.

If that isn't a typo I want to buy you a beer for making me feel young for a very fleeting moment. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

If that isn't a typo I want to buy you a beer for making me feel young for a very fleeting moment. 

Not a typo.  The Oilers moved the ball the entire game, but couldn’t overcome Pete Beathard’s 3 interceptions.  It was a game we should have won and I was beyond pissed.  As a teenager full of raging hormones, the wall in the garage seemed the safest best for my fury.  My mom’s a pretty smart cookie and realized this was going to happen again.  Hence, the heavy bag.  I bought 20 yard line season tickets to the Oilers games that season.  Cost me $72.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Not a typo.  The Oilers moved the ball the entire game, but couldn’t overcome Pete Beathard’s 3 interceptions.  It was a game we should have won and I was beyond pissed.  As a teenager full of raging hormones, the wall in the garage seemed the safest best for my fury.  My mom’s a pretty smart cookie and realized this was going to happen again.  Hence, the heavy bag.  I bought 20 yard line season tickets to the Oilers games that season.  Cost me $72.

I salute you. My rookie fan season for the Oilers was 1978. Earl, Bum, Carl Mauck, Billie White Shoes, Pastorini, Elvin Bethea, Curley Culp, Robert Brazile, Mike Renfro, Mike Reinfeldt, Kenny Burrough......the first team I fell in love with. 

If I were an actor doing a scene where I had to cry on command, I'd probably think of those Oilers and my broken kid heart. 

• Like 2

In most years, the hyped first round QBs were not mentioned as high round picks 12 months prior. A year ago, who thought Zach Wilson or Mac Jones would be first rounders, let alone #2 and nearly #3 overall, respectively? We have no idea what the QB position will look like in the 2022 draft except that there is no Manning/Luck/Lawrence slam dunk guy at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m reading from draft “experts” how the Mills pick shows how the Texans are moving on from Watson. Very lazy take. Of course the Texans are moving on from Watson regardless of their pick. Mills might the next TB but impossible to know after 11 starts in college.

As a former 10+ year Texan season ticket holders, I just am entertained about the continued bad moves by the Texans. O’Brien put them in a hole but I’m still waiting to see one step to get out of it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’m reading from draft “experts” how the Mills pick shows how the Texans are moving on from Watson. Very lazy take. Of course the Texans are moving on from Watson regardless of their pick. Mills might the next TB but impossible to know after 11 starts in college.

As a former 10+ year Texan season ticket holders, I just am entertained about the continued bad moves by the Texans. O’Brien put them in a hole but I’m still waiting to see one step to get out of it.

Can you blame O'Brien really after what has come out behind the scenes of this franchise? It's a total cluster fuck.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Can you blame O'Brien really after what has come out behind the scenes of this franchise? It's a total cluster fuck.

He was a backstabbing office politics monster. The only people more to blame are the McNairs 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That's kind of my point. Since all this came out with Easterby/McNairs I don't think I see a single coach that can overcome that front office.

BOB was fucking up that franchise long before Easterby came along 

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

BOB was fucking up that franchise long before Easterby came along 

Perhaps you're right but from not a hardcore fan on the outside looking in....

image.thumb.png.5a999b11ef07453f6f01f67fa21ee601.png

Easterby hired in 2019, then a rash of questionable and brain dead roster moves begin to happen. 

"Easterby desired to serve in a player personnel capacity in the NFL. He was hired by the Houston Texans in April, 2019"

On August 31, 2019, Tunsil, Kenny Stills, and a fourth-round pick were traded to the Houston Texans in exchange for two first-round picks, a second-round pick, Johnson Bademosi, and Julien Davenport.[39] He started 14 games at left tackle in 2019, earning his first trip to the Pro Bowl.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Perhaps you're right but from not a hardcore fan on the outside looking in....

image.thumb.png.5a999b11ef07453f6f01f67fa21ee601.png

Easterby hired in 2019, then a rash of questionable and brain dead roster moves begin to happen. 

"Easterby desired to serve in a player personnel capacity in the NFL. He was hired by the Houston Texans in April, 2019"

On August 31, 2019, Tunsil, Kenny Stills, and a fourth-round pick were traded to the Houston Texans in exchange for two first-round picks, a second-round pick, Johnson Bademosi, and Julien Davenport.[39] He started 14 games at left tackle in 2019, earning his first trip to the Pro Bowl.

BOB's record was buoyed by coaching in an easy division and a handful of elite players. Gary Kubiak could have gone above .500 in that division. He should have been fired several years early, but the McNairs hate firing people.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

BOB's record was buoyed by coaching in an easy division and a handful of elite players. Gary Kubiak could have gone above .500 in that division. He should have been fired several years early, but the McNairs hate firing people.

Gotcha, and completely agree about the McNairs. That franchise is fucked with them and Easterby's church of christ mentality.

3 hours ago, Updawg said:

Can never have enough TE’s

I don’t see too many wins on that schedule.

Thursday night game against the panthers might draw the lowest viewers ever

For a good team that’s a great schedule. 5 of your last 7 at home, the only cold-weather cities you play in are in mid September and the first week in October.

For a dogshit team it doesn’t really matter...

27 minutes ago, Hate said:

On the bright side, they could be the first team to go 0-17.  Hopefully the NFL goes back to a 16 game season after this year and the Texans can own that record forever.

I don't trust this team to even fail properly.  They'll find their way to 2-15.  They'll split with the Jags and beat the Jets or something.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Texans’ plan is to have a roster consisting of only TEs and QBs. 

[jags fan errrrr Texans fan.gif]
Their QBs will be Watson, Taylor, and Mills; or if Watson is suspended or traded it will be Taylor, Mills, Finley/FA. Why are they signing all this junk with some guaranteed money when they are still in cap trouble?