2021 Houston Texans offseason thread

Macklemore

Houston Chronicle sports writer Jerome Solomon put his name on the waiting list for season tickets in 2011, and was in the 19,000s. In 2019, he was in the 16,316. A few weeks ago, he was 12,734. Last week, they called him to inform him that it was his turn.

Yikes

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/jerome-solomon/article/Solomon-I-can-finally-buy-Texans-season-tickets-16226116.php

• Like 2

Houston Chronicle sports writer Jerome Solomon put his name on the waiting list for season tickets in 2011, and was in the 19,000s. In 2019, he was in the 16,316. A few weeks ago, he was 12,734. Last week, they called him to inform him that it was his turn.

Yikes
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/jerome-solomon/article/Solomon-I-can-finally-buy-Texans-season-tickets-16226116.php

Not surprised at all

• 1 month later...

Texans sure do like acquiring the sexual freaks.

Spoiler

Barkevious Mingo, an outside linebacker for the Falcons and nine-year NFL veteran, was arrested in suburban Dallas on Thursday and charged with indecency with a child—sexual contact, according to the Arlington Police Department. He turned himself in “on his own accord in consultation with his attorney” and has been released from custody after posting a $25,000 bond.

Mingo’s attorney, Lukas Garcia, provided the following statement to SI via Mingo’s agent: “The allegations out of Tarrant County against my client are completely baseless. Barkevious Mingo is innocent. At this stage, our side has very limited information. What we do know is these allegations are from over two years ago and are completely untrue. Mr. Mingo is the victim of a false claim, and we believe this is motivated by money or some other ulterior motive. We are confident when the truth comes to light, my client will be fully exonerated.”

Sports Illustrated has learned the charges stem from an alleged incident that took place over the July 4th weekend of 2019 and was brought to the attention of the Arlington PD in January 2021.

Get SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's best stories every weekday. Sign up now.

According to documents filed by Arlington PD pertaining to a search warrant and obtained by SI:

Mingo invited a teenage family member and the boy’s friend, also a teenager, to spend the day with him. Mingo took the boys to the Six Flags Over Texas amusement park in Arlington and K1 Speed, a Dallas-area go-kart complex. They had dinner at BJ’s restaurant, a popular local steakhouse. Mingo paid for everything, including a season pass to K1 Speed.

Mingo also treated the boys to a shopping spree, paying for items they chose from Nike.com. The relative’s friend chose a variety of T-shirts, shoes and shorts. The gear was shipped to the boy at the address of his friend, Mingo’s family member.

On the night of July 4, 2019, the boys returned to the local hotel where Mingo was staying. According to the documents obtained by Sports Illustrated, the boy fell asleep, but at approximately 3 a.m. he woke up and noticed Mingo in bed with him. He “thought it was odd,” according to documents, because the plan was for the two boys to sleep in a room separate from Mingo. He thought little of it and went back to sleep.

According to the document, “The victim was then woken by [Mingo] pulling at his underwear. This occurred for a few minutes until the suspect got more and aggressive and pulled the victim’s underwear down to his shins. The victim advised that when this was occurring, he was scared and pretended to be asleep. [Mingo] put a lotion on that made the victim’s skin burn and … rubbed his penis up and down, in between the victim’s butt crack.”

When, in January 2021, the boy’s mother made a complaint to the local police, the case was assigned to a detective with the Arlington Police Department Crimes Against Children Unit. In February 2021, as part of the investigation, Arlington police applied to the Tarrant County Judge David C. Hagerman for a search warrant to obtain Nike’s sales records from July 4, 2019, pertaining to three orders.

As the Arlington police detective put forth in the application, the “evidence will corroborate the victim’s statements. Furthermore it is known to [the detective] … that purchasing gifts for children is a known “grooming” behavior in Child Sexual Abuse cases.”

SI has learned that Nike complied with this order.

Mingo has played for seven NFL teams, starting with the Browns, the franchise that selected him sixth in the 2013 draft. He played in Super Bowl LI for the New England Patriots, recording two special teams tackles in the victory.

In July 2019, he was a member of the Seahawks, who traded him to the Texans later that summer. He spent the 2020 season with the Bears, and in March signed a one-year deal to join the Falcons.

The Falcons released Mingo Saturday night after "gathering information on the matter."

23 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Texans sure do like acquiring the sexual freaks.

Reveal hidden contents

Barkevious Mingo, an outside linebacker for the Falcons and nine-year NFL veteran, was arrested in suburban Dallas on Thursday and charged with indecency with a child—sexual contact, according to the Arlington Police Department. He turned himself in “on his own accord in consultation with his attorney” and has been released from custody after posting a $25,000 bond.

Mingo’s attorney, Lukas Garcia, provided the following statement to SI via Mingo’s agent: “The allegations out of Tarrant County against my client are completely baseless. Barkevious Mingo is innocent. At this stage, our side has very limited information. What we do know is these allegations are from over two years ago and are completely untrue. Mr. Mingo is the victim of a false claim, and we believe this is motivated by money or some other ulterior motive. We are confident when the truth comes to light, my client will be fully exonerated.”

Sports Illustrated has learned the charges stem from an alleged incident that took place over the July 4th weekend of 2019 and was brought to the attention of the Arlington PD in January 2021.

Get SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's best stories every weekday. Sign up now.

According to documents filed by Arlington PD pertaining to a search warrant and obtained by SI:

Mingo invited a teenage family member and the boy’s friend, also a teenager, to spend the day with him. Mingo took the boys to the Six Flags Over Texas amusement park in Arlington and K1 Speed, a Dallas-area go-kart complex. They had dinner at BJ’s restaurant, a popular local steakhouse. Mingo paid for everything, including a season pass to K1 Speed.

Mingo also treated the boys to a shopping spree, paying for items they chose from Nike.com. The relative’s friend chose a variety of T-shirts, shoes and shorts. The gear was shipped to the boy at the address of his friend, Mingo’s family member.

On the night of July 4, 2019, the boys returned to the local hotel where Mingo was staying. According to the documents obtained by Sports Illustrated, the boy fell asleep, but at approximately 3 a.m. he woke up and noticed Mingo in bed with him. He “thought it was odd,” according to documents, because the plan was for the two boys to sleep in a room separate from Mingo. He thought little of it and went back to sleep.

According to the document, “The victim was then woken by [Mingo] pulling at his underwear. This occurred for a few minutes until the suspect got more and aggressive and pulled the victim’s underwear down to his shins. The victim advised that when this was occurring, he was scared and pretended to be asleep. [Mingo] put a lotion on that made the victim’s skin burn and … rubbed his penis up and down, in between the victim’s butt crack.”

When, in January 2021, the boy’s mother made a complaint to the local police, the case was assigned to a detective with the Arlington Police Department Crimes Against Children Unit. In February 2021, as part of the investigation, Arlington police applied to the Tarrant County Judge David C. Hagerman for a search warrant to obtain Nike’s sales records from July 4, 2019, pertaining to three orders.

As the Arlington police detective put forth in the application, the “evidence will corroborate the victim’s statements. Furthermore it is known to [the detective] … that purchasing gifts for children is a known “grooming” behavior in Child Sexual Abuse cases.”

SI has learned that Nike complied with this order.

Mingo has played for seven NFL teams, starting with the Browns, the franchise that selected him sixth in the 2013 draft. He played in Super Bowl LI for the New England Patriots, recording two special teams tackles in the victory.

In July 2019, he was a member of the Seahawks, who traded him to the Texans later that summer. He spent the 2020 season with the Bears, and in March signed a one-year deal to join the Falcons.

The Falcons released Mingo Saturday night after "gathering information on the matter."

JAY-zus….

So ultimately the Clowney trade netted us a dude named Hyde and a dude who wanted to hide the sausage with a young boy. Solid, although IIRC Mingo blocked the punt that put us up 21-0 in KC so that was awesome for like 10 minutes…

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Apparently Aaron Rodgers is forcing Green Bay to reacquire Randall Cobb. Holy shit, what a stroke of luck for the Texans.

So Packers 5th rounder in 2027 plus the biggest Christian on the Pack for Texans’ 2nd rounder next year and Cobb?

• Like 2

It was something like Packers 6th for Texans 7th + Cobb, but GB is trying to get Houston to pay as much of Cobb’s guaranteed salary as possible. They are the ones trying to lick Rodgers’ taint…I’d tell them to pay it all. It’s the cost of keeping their HOF QB. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dr99 said:

Texans got fleeced on the Cobb trade when they had all the leverage.

Nobody in the league (except Rodgers) wants Cobb. The Texans would’ve cut him except BoB gave him a fully guaranteed contract. They saved $5.25M and got a 6th round pick. Relatively speaking for them, this was a pretty good trade. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lulz. Such a bunch of pussies

Score one for the media.

The Texans told reporters who cover the team that Wednesday would be the last day of training camp and they would switch to regular-season mode Thursday, two days before the first preseason game at Green Bay.

The change would mean media limitations would go into effect, but there was one problem — NFL rules say, “All daily practices must be open in their entirety to local media through Aug. 26.”

The Texans were informed of the violation, and they changed back to training camp mode.

Now reporters can continue to watch all of practice until two days before the last preseason game Aug. 28 against Tampa Bay at NRG Stadium.

During regular season, teams can limit reporters to watching a minimal amount of practice, usually just stretching and warmups.

• Like 1

I don’t know that my opinion on an athlete has changed as much as mine in DeShaun…other than Kawhi Leonard (DIAF). I was absolutely full homo for him, but he has just wrecked this franchise for the foreseeable future. I know Cal shoulders most of the blame, but DeShaun has absolutely screwed them as well.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Brothahorn said:

Can't believe these clowns are rolling out Tyrod and don't have a stud rookie on the bench.

Fuck BoB.

And fuck DW too.

How in Gods name was this shitshow going to get a ‘stud rookie’ QB on the bench with no picks until round 3? Not saying they didn’t put themselves in that position, but please….

• Hook 'Em 1

Watching the condensed game this morning. Pleasantly surprised with the performances on both sides of the ball. I liked how Pep Hamilton, who is the real OC of this team despite Tim Kelly’s title, had a game plan playing into the strengths and Davis Mills’ experience. Mills had several crappy passes put had a few decent ones to keep drives alive. Lots of slants, quick hitches and other quickly developing pass plays unlike buttchin’s idiocy. Jeff Driskel wasting a roster spot at QB with this team is infuriating. Get someone who was some upside instead of guy who has a hard time hitting open receivers on one on one drills.

Lovie’s defense was everything RAC’s defense wasn’t last season - competent, stopping the run, creating turnovers and attacking the ball carrier. Special team coverage and  returns were both good as opposed to the usual Texans standard of awful. I don’t like Culley at all as a HC. He sounds like a moron with not much upstairs and I’m still pissed we ended up with him when we could have had elite brainpower like Joe Brady and Public Bieniemy. Looks like the staff at least is competent.

Edited by Macklemore

I don’t know that my opinion on an athlete has changed as much as mine in DeShaun…other than Kawhi Leonard (DIAF). I was absolutely full homo for him, but he has just wrecked this franchise for the foreseeable future. I know Cal shoulders most of the blame, but DeShaun has absolutely screwed them as well.

Yep. Epic bitch athlete and a freaking weirdo creep

• 2 weeks later...

We have so much to look forward to this season. People loved them some Lovie when his defense was going against a 4th string QB last week. Easterby, Caserio and Culley have this team on the right track. LOLOLOL! Going from Deshaun to Tyrod Tyler is like downgrading from a Mercedes to a Yugo. Fuck Cal and fuck the Texans.

39 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

We have so much to look forward to this season. People loved them some Lovie when his defense was going against a 4th string QB last week. Easterby, Caserio and Culley have this team on the right track. LOLOLOL! Going from Deshaun to Tyrod Tyler is like downgrading from a Mercedes to a Yugo. Fuck Cal and fuck the Texans.

Two wins at most this year. It will be glorious to watch Fat Cal and Pope Jack immolate their franchise.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the defense will definitely be better than what Grandpa Romeo and Weaver threw out there. They don't have anything close to a star player, so it will be a collective effort.

And you forgot to say Fuck O'Brien! Sumbitch now gets to ride Saban's coattails. After what he did, bastard should not even be allowed to watch football on TV.