2021 Houston Texans offseason thread

Macklemore

10 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

A sustained boycott by Houston fans will get the franchise relocated to another city faster than it will get it sold to a new owner. 

No way. The Houston market has been way way way way too strong for the NFL in the last 18 years for them to side with the dead owner's family over the market. 

• Like 1

No way. The Houston market has been way way way way too strong for the NFL in the last 18 years for them to side with the dead owner's family over the market. 

Oilers relocate and then the Texans...there’d be a bipartisan, multilevel jihad against the NFL and McNairs. It might unite the country in a united front against a common enemy.

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Oilers relocate and then the Texans...there’d be a bipartisan, multilevel jihad against the NFL and McNairs. It might unite the country in a united front against a common enemy.

Go look up who Mitch McConnell’s single biggest donor in the past 10 years is. 

I’m thinking it’ll be the Louisville Texans. Or Mar-a-Lago Texans. One of the two. 

/no cr but seriously fuck these people/

What the fuck did we do to deserve this. I’m still hoping for the miracle of Jeff Hildebrand convincing them to sell. 

Edited by Planet Houston

James Harden laid out the blueprint for Deshaun. If they refuse to go quietly, you just have to start publicly criticizing the team and/or ownership. Hopefully they’re not stupid enough to try to call his bluff here because it’s pretty obvious he’s made up his mind. And a large percentage of the fan base would likely support him, ironically.

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

James Harden laid out the blueprint for Deshaun. If they refuse to go quietly, you just have to start publicly criticizing the team and/or ownership. Hopefully they’re not stupid enough to try to call his bluff here because it’s pretty obvious he’s made up his mind. And a large percentage of the fan base would likely support him, ironically.

I think 1/2 the base want the picks from a trade.

Edited by Rip76

And the other half knows how his career is going to go if he stays here and thinks he deserves better.  BOB screwed this team so badly the last few years that they almost don't have a choice but to trade him.  They have huge holes at every single position, they are not very young, and their cap situation is just OK.  I guess it is conceivable that they could be back to .500 next year if they hit on all of their draft picks and  sign some good cheap FA's, but those are both big "ifs".  I could see them trying to sell Deshaun on 2022 being back in the mix, but a lo of things would have to go right for that to happen.  Now on the other hand, are the Jets really that much closer?  I can understand Miami being his preferred choice, but I have no idea why he would want any part of the Jets. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I really hope Cal is ready to let it ride on this buffoonery. The Texans are now interesting for the first time ever. 

He will. He and Easterby won’t back down. The more criticism they get the more they feel persecuted and dig in.  The more “righteous” their “cause” becomes.

Prosperity gospel out front shoulda told you. 

• Like 2

They should try to trade Tunsil before the draft as well. They should get at least a first for him in addition to the 3 firsts plus whatever they get for Deshaun. The drafts the next couple years could be entertaining at least. 

Maybe the Jets want an all pro LT too, and can take both Watson and Tunsil for both NYJ and SEA firsts in 2021 and 2022, and Jets seconds in 2021 and 2022. Like a super sized reverse BoB trade. 

per roto:

[quote]JACK EASTERBY FO, HOUSTON TEXANS

The Bench 97.5's Lance Zierlein reports Texans executive Jack Easterby is "still making calls to agents on behalf of the team and is very much involved in the football side."

In other words, chaplain, character coach, etc. Easterby is still behaving like a football guy/general manager. Easterby and the Texans had claimed this would not be the case after Nick Caserio was hired to lead the front office. Every Texans fire over the past 18 months has originated from Easterby's office, and he seems intent on starting more. Letting a character coach essentially run the organization into the ground is one of the more baffling, surreal front office developments we have seen in North American sports this century. The Texans need to get this fixed if they are to have even a one percent chance of keeping Deshaun Watson. [/quote]

cool andy samberg GIF

• Like 1

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

The Bench 97.5's Lance Zierlein reports Texans executive Jack Easterby is "still making calls to agents on behalf of the team and is very much involved in the football side.".  In other words, chaplain, character coach, etc. Easterby is still behaving like a football guy/general manager. Easterby and the Texans had claimed this would not be the case after Nick Caserio was hired to lead the front office. Every Texans fire over the past 18 months has originated from Easterby's office, and he seems intent on starting more. Letting a character coach essentially run the organization into the ground is one of the more baffling, surreal front office developments we have seen in North American sports this century. The Texans need to get this fixed if they are to have even a one percent chance of keeping Deshaun Watson. [/quote]

cool andy samberg GIF

giphy.gif

On 1/30/2021 at 1:30 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

I've researched this some and while I thought it was true, apparently he is Black. I dug up an account of his dad -- Ulysses Grant Culley, Jr. -- playing as a lineman for a "colored" school in his hometown back in the late '40s. 

Now IDK where this Lebanese shit comes from.

People are confusing Culley with Saleh because they're referenced together as minority hires.  Saleh is the son of two Lebanese-American parents.  Saleh is reportedly Muslim-American, so I don't think Cal and his crazies would have interviewed him.  

On 1/31/2021 at 10:03 AM, TexArcher said:

Yeah, I hate trading Deshaun, but at this point it's best for him and for the franchise.

Honestly, they should trade JJ, too.  He deserves a chance at a winner.  

Fuck BoB and everyone else who let things get to this point.  But burn it down and start over.

They're going to most likely cut JJ, which allows him to go where he wants to go.  17.5 million for JJ is way too much.  He's still productive but not worth that, especially at his age.  I guess Houston could convert some of his contract and eat some of it to get an asset.

They're going to most likely cut JJ, which allows him to go where he wants to go.  17.5 million for JJ is way too much.  He's still productive but not worth that, especially at his age.  I guess Houston could convert some of his contract and eat some of it to get an asset.
And the Texans are 17.9M over the cap...

JJ will be cut soon, unless a team under the cap can get with his agent to work out a trade that makes sense...

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

People are confusing Culley with Saleh because they're referenced together as minority hires.  Saleh is the son of two Lebanese-American parents.  Saleh is reportedly Muslim-American, so I don't think Cal and his crazies would have interviewed him.  

A Lebanese Muslim named Robert....I would have assumed he would have been a Christian Arab with a first name like that. (Incidentally, many Lebanese hate being called Arabs. Phoenician is the preferred nomenclature. Source: my cranky AF Lebanese Christian uncle-in-law Elie, who rages out when people think his name is Ali. He goes into rages over lots of shit, but that one really sets him off. Elie is short for Elias, and he has brothers named Pierre and Albert, pronounced French-style.)

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

On 1/31/2021 at 11:26 AM, LTtxfan said:

Siap....   Good Luck H-Town

Was hunting in South Texas last weekend.  One of my buddies is dating Hannah McNair's sister (she has like ten of them). She texted a screen shot from Cal to her about 10 minutes after that Stafford trade was announced - said just "yeeeessssssss!"

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Was hunting in South Texas last weekend.  One of my buddies is dating Hannah McNair's sister (she has like ten of them). She texted a screen shot from Cal to her about 10 minutes after that Stafford trade was announced - said just "yeeeessssssss!"

What?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Hannah and her sisters?

• Hook 'Em 2

Here in Houston, Post Oak Little League practices started last weekend.  Coaches pass out practice shirts and there is a Texans logo on the sleeve.  I didn’t understand why a baseball league would be using the Texans logo.    

Today, I see a guy walking out of a matte black MB G-wagon with a little kid, and I’m thinking “that d-bag looks like Cal McNair”.  Kid’s name on back of his shirt says “McNair”.   

End CSB

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Trick Britches said:

Here in Houston, Post Oak Little League practices started last weekend.  Coaches pass out practice shirts and there is a Texans logo on the sleeve.  I didn’t understand why a baseball league would be using the Texans logo.    

Today, I see a guy walking out of a matte black MB G-wagon with a little kid, and I’m thinking “that d-bag looks like Cal McNair”.  Kid’s name on back of his shirt says “McNair”.   

End CSB

Some wild guesses...

1. The kid has the sweetest bat and glove on the team.

2. But he sucks at baseball.

3. Nevertheless, he gets to pitch.

4. And play shortstop when not pitching.

5. And bats cleanup or leadoff. 

His son was pitching and appeared to actually be pretty good (likely because he has taken a lot of private lessons).  Cal's son is on my friend's team, and by all accounts, Cal is a nice enough guy.  That certainly doesn't make him qualified to run a NFL franchise though.   

This was certainly a surprise to me: "McNair attended the University of Texas at Austin, where he was a four-year member of the Longhorn football team."  https://business.rice.edu/person/d-cal-mcnair#:~:text=(Rice MBA '95),of the Texans since 2001.  

On 2/3/2021 at 11:31 AM, Trick Britches said:

His son was pitching and appeared to actually be pretty good (likely because he has taken a lot of private lessons).  Cal's son is on my friend's team, and by all accounts, Cal is a nice enough guy.  That certainly doesn't make him qualified to run a NFL franchise though.   

This was certainly a surprise to me: "McNair attended the University of Texas at Austin, where he was a four-year member of the Longhorn football team."  https://business.rice.edu/person/d-cal-mcnair#:~:text=(Rice MBA '95),of the Texans since 2001.  

cal-mcnair.jpg

5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I would run through a wall for this guy

He doesn’t even have the stones to make fun of the easiest, most stereotypical place to make fun of - his own back yard in SEC country. Pretty telling of his character - everyone else is an outsider other than people who look, talk and pray like me. 

Cal is such a fucking disaster. Hannah was showing off her right-wing nuttiness fairly publicly before deleting all of her accounts. The culture in that organization for an NFL roster has to be so fucking toxic. 

• Hook 'Em 2