2021 Houston Texans offseason thread

Macklemore

I'm starting to think that the Jets are the most likely landing spot.  They have plenty of draft picks to do it and could throw in a good defensive player as well.  I didn't realize the were $80 million under the cap.  The could give up both ones this year and Seattle's next year and still be able to build around Watson with plenty of future picks.  The Texans wold then have 5 first round draft picks over the next couple of years while they turn the roster over and be ready to compete again in 3 years with a young QB.  I really don't see any other option at this point and I don't think even the Jets are too stupid to pass on a chance to get Deshaun.  He would be a megastar in New York.  He would be the best QB they have had since the Namath days and it's not even close.  Both teams need to get this deal done. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I listen to too much John and Lance and Charlie Pallilo, but the longer this goes the less sympathy I have for Deshaun. He is the third player with his agent to sign a mega extension with their original team then make a trade demand. Hopkins had been traded, the team’s draft capital had already been depleted, Cal was owner and Easterby had been around for over a year at the time Deshaun chose to sign his extension. If he wants out so bad, he should offer to drop his no trade clause and/or return most/all of his signing bonus. Patty Bateman and others have said Texans should just accept the best shit offer they get and move on, or risk free agents not wanting to come to Houston. Watson has already amplified how shitty the Texans are to the world, by trading Watson somehow free agents will have a favorable view of the team? No way. Players will come when they want the money, and if the team ever turns around. Who gives a shit if overpriced free agents don’t choose Houston over the next couple years when the team will be uncompetitive anyway? 4 first rounders or bust. It’s not unreasonable of the Texans to honor his wish to be traded as long as they don’t get buttfucked in the process. It’s on Deshaun’s team to help facilitate moving him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

^^^
i feel much the same way. He knew most of what was going on when he signed. The only thing new is BoB getting fired which would seem to be a positive. If he wants to be traded then he needs to unconditionally waive his no trade clause. Fuck him cherry picking. 

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I listen to too much John and Lance and Charlie Pallilo, but the longer this goes the less sympathy I have for Deshaun. He is the third player with his agent to sign a mega extension with their original team then make a trade demand. Hopkins had been traded, the team’s draft capital had already been depleted, Cal was owner and Easterby had been around for over a year at the time Deshaun chose to sign his extension. If he wants out so bad, he should offer to drop his no trade clause and/or return most/all of his signing bonus. Patty Bateman and others have said Texans should just accept the best shit offer they get and move on, or risk free agents not wanting to come to Houston. Watson has already amplified how shitty the Texans are to the world, by trading Watson somehow free agents will have a favorable view of the team? No way. Players will come when they want the money, and if the team ever turns around. Who gives a shit if overpriced free agents don’t choose Houston over the next couple years when the team will be uncompetitive anyway? 4 first rounders or bust. It’s not unreasonable of the Texans to honor his wish to be traded as long as they don’t get buttfucked in the process. It’s on Deshaun’s team to help facilitate moving him. 

Um...that ship has sailed, seems to me, and long before this Watson mess. We don't know the half of what players and agents know about what is going on behind the scenes and what we as fans know is uphauling. 

A lot has happened since Watson re-signed. Mainly Easterby, losing record, no real GM search, no real coach search, horrible coach hire, broken promises, and he’s the only asset on the team.

I say this with all due respect. The “he needs to honor his contract” is, quite frankly, simpleton talk.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

A lot has happened since Watson re-signed. Mainly Easterby, losing record, no real GM search, no real coach search, horrible coach hire, broken promises, and he’s the only asset on the team.

I say this with all due respect. The “he needs to honor his contract” is, quite frankly, simpleton talk.

I have no idea what this PR campaign to make Watson look like a selfish entitled prick is supposed to accomplish. Best case scenario the Texans keep him, he plays, and the face painters hate him? 

I also don't get why anyone is opposed to trading him, Texans included. The team is in a terrible place. They don't have draft picks, don't have a ton of cap space, and have a bunch of position groups with embarrassing levels of talent, or a bunch of olds. So you want to play hardball with Deshaun and get last in the division for the entirety of his second contract? The Texans best chance at being a competitive football team is trading Watson and building on the draft haul and players you receive for him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I have no idea what this PR campaign to make Watson look like a selfish entitled prick is supposed to accomplish. Best case scenario the Texans keep him, he plays, and the face painters hate him? 

I also don't get why anyone is opposed to trading him, Texans included. The team is in a terrible place. They don't have draft picks, don't have a ton of cap space, and have a bunch of position groups with embarrassing levels of talent, or a bunch of olds. So you want to play hardball with Deshaun and get last in the division for the entirety of his second contract? The Texans best chance at being a competitive football team is trading Watson and building on the draft haul and players you receive for him. 

Yeah, getting a haul is the best and fastest way to build a competitive team, and probably at a lower team salary. The hesitation is all these rumors and demands that get floated through ESPN guys, Deshaun’s friends, other players who share his agent, etc. about his intentions and which teams he will waive his no trade for. Last week’s rumor was he hoped his next team doesn’t have to give up a lot so he will have more weapons. Trying to force a trade for anything less than 3 firsts plus something else good is horse shit. Any future firsts coming from his next team (unless the Jets) will probably be no better than mid-20’s. If it’s the Bears and this year’s pick is #20, whoopty doo. If it’s the Panthers or Broncos, their picks aren’t high enough to get the cream of the crop, or more importantly aren’t good enough to reap major assets in a trade down. It needs to be the Jets or Dolphins. 

3 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

And to think, just 14 months ago, the Texans had a three score lead on KC in the second round of the playoffs ...

I do not want DW4 traded, but do agree that the fastest way for the Texans to get better is to trade him and get a haul of picks/players. But does anyone have any faith that the Texans can pull off a rebuild from a draft, cap, and/or PR perspective? The Astros let people know they were tearing down and rebuilding, and stressed patience. Different leagues and cap rules, I know, but they handled it well from a PR perspective. The Texans are a PR disaster and can't stay out of their own way. As long as Easterby is involved, no one will trust that they will make the correct decisions. 

At the end of the day, the NFL is a copycat, don't think outside the box league where top 5 QB's just aren't traded. So, Casserio is not going want to step out the box and do so. If DW4 is traded, it will be because of Easterby and the return likely will be insufficient. 

FWIW, if one sets aside any mistrust and hatred of the organization, cutting JJ and Martin and Duke; restructuring David Johnson; and signing Britt, all are decent moves. 

Edited by Jacob McCandles
typo

I’d be fine with two 1st round and two 2nd round picks as long as you get the Jets #2 pick. You can either take Wilson or trade that pick to someone that wants Wilson and drop to the #5 pick or something and add another late 1st or 2nd round pick.

I’d be hitting the fire sale button on Watson internally.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If it’s the Jets, they new to get 3 first rounders and the Jets can do it. They would still have a first round pick next year, so they aren’t leaving the cupboard bare just to get Deshaun. The fact that this hasn’t happened yet tells you just how stupid both of these franchises are.

On 3/6/2021 at 2:39 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

Uhm, I never said this, so please don't put words in my mouth.  I've stated they need to do their due diligence and start shopping him around to see what kind of deal they can find.  So, stop with the bullshit victim complex or with the crappy binary thinking.  To accept that the Watson relationship has a very small chance at reconciliation doesn't mean an organization has to accept a shitty offer, the first one or otherwise.  If they do their work, then they can come out of this with a ton of draft capital and a real chance to draft your next franchise guy.  Now, with the slap dicks the Texans have put in charge, the odds are they make a poor deal but that's just what shitty orgs do.  I should know as the other shitty org in Texas has been fucking their own face for almost 3 decades.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Uhm, I never said this, so please don't put words in my mouth.  I've stated they need to do their due diligence and start shopping him around to see what kind of deal they can find.  So, stop with the bullshit victim complex or with the crappy binary thinking.  To accept that the Watson relationship has a very small chance at reconciliation doesn't mean an organization has to accept a shitty offer, the first one or otherwise.  If they do their work, then they can come out of this with a ton of draft capital and a real chance to draft your next franchise guy.  Now, with the slap dicks the Texans have put in charge, the odds are they make a poor deal but that's just what shitty orgs do.  I should know as the other shitty org in Texas has been fucking their own face for almost 3 decades.

"Did you like those three Super Bowls?" Jones famously asked a critical fan during a call-in segment on The Ticket in 2001. "Did you enjoy those? I hope you did. I hope you did very much."

😃

Just now, Brothahorn said:

"Did you like those three Super Bowls?" Jones famously asked a critical fan during a call-in segment on The Ticket in 2001. "Did you enjoy those? I hope you did. I hope you did very much."

😃

Exactly..... we call those the pre-Depends era (or before he fucked up everything Jimmy did).

On 3/8/2021 at 12:04 PM, Jacob McCandles said:

I do not want DW4 traded, but do agree that the fastest way for the Texans to get better is to trade him and get a haul of picks/players. But does anyone have any faith that the Texans can pull off a rebuild from a draft, cap, and/or PR perspective? The Astros let people know they were tearing down and rebuilding, and stressed patience. Different leagues and cap rules, I know, but they handled it well from a PR perspective. The Texans are a PR disaster and can't stay out of their own way. As long as Easterby is involved, no one will trust that they will make the correct decisions. 

Isn't all of this the reason that Watson wants out in the first place?  He doesn't trust the organization to rebuild a team around him.  

I think it’s 100% because of Easterby. If those story from SI posted earlier is true, that stupid son of a bitch is calling the parents of the players to let them know their son is “going down the wrong path”. Seriously, why the players do off the field is non of his or anyone’s business. As long as they show up for work on time and play as hard as they can, the teams needs to stay out of their business.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Hate said:

I think it’s 100% because of Easterby. If those story from SI posted earlier is true, that stupid son of a bitch is calling the parents of the players to let them know their son is “going down the wrong path”. Seriously, why the players do off the field is non of his or anyone’s business. As long as they show up for work on time and play as hard as they can, the teams needs to stay out of their business.

Sounds like some bullshit job at Liberty or Baylor. 

Officially, the Texans’ stance toward disgruntled quarterback Deshaun Watson is that they’re keeping him, not trading him. But that stance is starting to soften.

That’s the word from Jim Trotter of NFL Media, who interviewed Texans head coach David Culley for a podcast that will be posted later today. Trotter wrote on Twitter that based on the conversation they had for the podcast, “I firmly believe Deshaun Watson will be traded.”

Culley didn’t say Watson will be traded, but Culley’s choice of words hinted that Watson may not be a Texan much longer. Culley referred to Watson being on the roster “right now” and indicated that the Texans don’t want a franchise quarterback who doesn’t want to be there, saying, “We want guys who are all in.”

I already hate the new coach after hearing him in his intro and today’s press conference. He is proficient in Jack Easterby speak. Saying nothing, dismissive, arrogant and oblivious to the outside world. This guy is going to be Hugh Campbell/Ed Biles terrible (old school Oilers fans will get it). He will be Freddie Kitchens level awful as a recent example but he will stick around more than a season unfortunately.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

I already hate the new coach after hearing him in his intro and today’s press conference. He is proficient in Jack Easterby speak. Saying nothing, dismissive, arrogant and oblivious to the outside world. This guy is going to be Hugh Campbell/Ed Biles terrible (old school Oilers fans will get it). He will be Freddie Kitchens level awful as a recent example but he will stick around more than a season unfortunately.

In a division with the Colts and Titans, and possibly an Urban-lead Jags, the Texans are about to get lapped.

The best thing that could happen for Easterby is to trade a disgruntled Watson for a boatload of pics. Ceaserio comes before the press and talks about rebuild. That they wanted to keep Watson but they had reached an impasse with Watson and Watson’s agent, David Mulugheta.

We appreciate our fans patience. We accept nothing less than winning and winning the right way. This is the NFL, we expect to turn it around quickly.

Flash forward to 2040: The Houston Texans have ended their playoff drought of 20 years.
  • Like 3

Culley has been thoroughly unimpressive in his press conferences. It’s clear he is an empty suit. Doesn’t come off smart at all and I’m sure his schemes will suck. But he is a good Christian! That’s all that matters right. The Texans are the worst run team in pro sports and an embarrassment to Houston 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

28 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Ingram signing isn’t terrible; $500K at signing, $2MM salary, and bonus of $250K of he rushes for 750 yards, another $250K at 1,000. $3MM for a thousand yard rusher is a solid price, though it’ll be a miracle if he rushes for half that.

For a contender who needed a good veteran backup, it's probably fine.  For a rebuilder who needs to be acquiring and developing as much talent as possible and with RB being comparably easy to find post 100 pick talent and develop it quickly, it's a strange ass signing...... especially behind DJ who is what?  29?  I would guess this is a Culley signing who wants a good locker room guy but there was a reason Ingram was a inactive down the stretch for the Ravens.  

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 5:09 PM, Ignatius said:

Eh....if Jimmy’s such a genius why didn’t he do shit with the Dolphins when he had complete control?

There are several reasons. Johnson could ID the talent, Jones could make the deal. Jimmy wasn't a deal maker. After the Herschel Walker deal, other teams were afraid to deal with him. Several of those draft choices were conditional. The Vikings sent several players to Dallas, and if the players didn't start, etc, those got converted to draft choices. Johnson sat all of them, and never gave them a chance to start, cause he always intended to turn them into draft choices.

Also, Jimmy got pretty lucky with the Cowboys with some of his deals. Michael Irvin was already with the team. Troy Aikman was the consensus #1 pick his first year, and the Cowboys had the #1 pick. Johnson picked up his old Miami QB, Steve Walsh, in the supplemental draft. That turned into the #1 pick the next year, so Jimmy didn't realize what he was getting in Aikman, cause he burned the #1 pick on a journeyman QB. 

The Cowboys would have taken Blair Thomas over Emmitt Smith in the 1990 draft, but the Jets grabbed him.  In fairness, Thomas had a higher draft grade than Smith, so a lot of teams would have done that, but that's what I mean by some of those player acquisitions just turned out well in Dallas. 

Trivia, four of the first five choices in the 1989 draft were Troy Aikman, Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas and Deion Sanders. When was the last time there was a draft that loaded?  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

There are several reasons. Johnson could ID the talent, Jones could make the deal. Jimmy wasn't a deal maker. After the Herschel Walker deal, other teams were afraid to deal with him. Several of those draft choices were conditional. The Vikings sent several players to Dallas, and if the players didn't start, etc, those got converted to draft choices. Johnson sat all of them, and never gave them a chance to start, cause he always intended to turn them into draft choices.

Also, Jimmy got pretty lucky with the Cowboys with some of his deals. Michael Irvin was already with the team. Troy Aikman was the consensus #1 pick his first year, and the Cowboys had the #1 pick. Johnson picked up his old Miami QB, Steve Walsh, in the supplemental draft. That turned into the #1 pick the next year, so Jimmy didn't realize what he was getting in Aikman, cause he burned the #1 pick on a journeyman QB. 

The Cowboys would have taken Blair Thomas over Emmitt Smith in the 1990 draft, but the Jets grabbed him.  In fairness, Thomas had a higher draft grade than Smith, so a lot of teams would have done that, but that's what I mean by some of those player acquisitions just turned out well in Dallas. 

Trivia, four of the first five choices in the 1989 draft were Troy Aikman, Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas and Deion Sanders. When was the last time there was a draft that loaded?  

Yeah the 1983 class is still the gold standard overall in the first round, but nobody started off a draft like 1989 (although ‘83 had 4 HOFs in the top 6)....

• Hook 'Em 1

Brandin Cooks restructured his deal. $10MM signing bonus spread over the next two years. Cap hit of $7.5MM this season, which saves $6MM on the cap. Franchise is a train wreck, but this was a good move. Expecting McKinney to be cut and use maybe half his savings (at most) to sign Tyrell Adams...

50 minutes ago, Hate said:

I wonder if Caserio regrets taking this job yet or is he a Jesus freak as well?  I don't know why anyone would want to be associated with the team any longer. 

He is like the 3rd highest paid GM in the NFL, so he probably copes with his colleagues’ incompetence. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I wonder if Caserio regrets taking this job yet or is he a Jesus freak as well?  I don't know why anyone would want to be associated with the team any longer. 

You really don't have to ask, but even so, he might be a little suspect: the name Caserio carries more than a whiff of Popery and the Great Whore of Babylon about it. Perhaps he or his ancestors have learned the error of their ways and now attend a suitable evangelical megachurch. 

I’m told Caserio is a good family man and devoted Christian. He’s a hard worker who’s confident in what he does. He was loyal to Belichick and the Kraft family. He was content to let others take credit. He’s not a phony or a self-promoter. Because Belichick dominates the organization, Caserio was fine being in the background.

Character, trust and integrity are important to Caserio. He can speak the language of scouts and coaches because he’s been both. He’ll work hard to try to hire the right coach for the Texans. He’s a good listener who wants those under him giving their opinions, even if they disagree with him. He’s willing to be challenged.

Notice how "good Christian, family man" is listed first among all his qualities. 

Caserio's alma mater, John Carroll University, is apparently where you want to go if you dream of working an NFL front office:

There's Caserio, David Caldwell (ex-Jags), Chris Polian (ex-Colts), and Tom Telesco (Chargers). (Also coaches Josh McDaniel, Greg Roman, and Don Shula, who was his own GM.)

Enrollment at the suburban Cleveland school is under 4,000, so with 5 NFL GMs, that has to be the pound for pound record. 

And it's a Jesuit school, so maybe Caserio is still Catholic...So by Texans standards this would be a diversity hire. 

7 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Caserio's alma mater, John Carroll University, is apparently where you want to go if you dream of working an NFL front office:

There's Caserio, David Caldwell (ex-Jags), Chris Polian (ex-Colts), and Tom Telesco (Chargers). (Also coaches Josh McDaniel, Greg Roman, and Don Shula, who was his own GM.)

Enrollment at the suburban Cleveland school is under 4,000, so with 5 NFL GMs, that has to be the pound for pound record. 

And it's a Jesuit school, so maybe Caserio is still Catholic...So by Texans standards this would be a diversity hire. 

We got both religions: Protestant and Catholic!

image.gif.3686cdeacc8320e1d493a59d3d5afa9f.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1