2021 Houston Texans offseason thread

Macklemore

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

Not crazy about the GM hire, but then every writer who covers the Pats speaks really highly of the guy, unlike fuckstick Easterby. I can totally get on board with Daboll, if his creativity can transform Josh Allen imagine what he can do with a QB with a much more refined/developed skill set....

We don't need to transform Deshaun we need to put a competent roster and coaching around him.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I think this is all bullshit speculation.  Watson has zero leverage. He’s signed for 5 more years. And the team showed him plenty of respect with a $156mm contract. 

I was wrong about the speculation. I stand by the absence of leverage and put the the probability that the Texan trade him at <10%  they’ll work it out  if not, the Caserio hire is already a failure  

Big Deshaun guy, but he’s not an expert on GMs or hiring, or hiring GMs. If we told him he would have input, management should have given him input, so I can totally understand his agent ego checking the Texans via the media, but Deshaun asked for leadership and structure, so getting upset when management takes leadership and looks to establish structure seems a bit overblown.

But he’s not some hot headed clown like other guys who reach his level of stardom. If Nick is a good hire, then so be it. I think for sure they will give Deshaun input on the coach choice, and I think he’ll come away good with it all. 

Edited by The Earl of Texas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

The Texans don't get the benefit of the doubt, but the word is that Bienemy hasn't interviewed well in the past. Still stupid not to interview him.

I think Daboll is the best candidate of the popular names. I also think that there's got to be a more efficient way of finding good candidates than the best coordinators in the league, but hell if I know of any alternatives.

Daboll is an Easterby guy. If he's the hire it means shitface pulled the strings on the GM and the coach hire. Fuck that. Fuck Easterby. And Fuck OU.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/5/2021 at 9:56 PM, Jshep34 said:

Hate seeing great talented players waste thier career here.

I’ll never understand this approach. Winning a Super Bowl is not validation of talent.

JJ Watt is a 3 time Defensive Player of the Year, only he and LT have done it. Only player with 20+ sacks in two seasons. He’s widely considered to be one of the greatest DEs to ever play, and he’s not done yet. ‘Wasting’ him would exclude him achieving a lot of that. He’s done very well here, and been made a focal point of the D which has allowed him to thrive, commensurate with his talent level. It’s like saying Junior Seau wasted his time in San Diego because they didn’t win a Super Bowl.

Deshaun was All-Rookie in an injury shortened season where he set a bunch of records, like most rookie TDs in a game and most TDs in a month. He’s a three time Pro Bowler in 4 years. He’s won the division twice and went to the playoffs twice in four years, and I know a lot of guys would swap him spots in that regard. Now he’s led the league in passing, and has been made the focal point of the entire team, and he’s the Face of the franchise. ‘Wasting’ his talent would preclude a lot of that. It’s like saying Dan Marino went to waste in Miami.

Its just a bizarre way to look at it, in my opinion. To waste someone’s talent is to hold them back from achieving individual greatness through bad coaching or scheme or whatever. These guys are achieving at incredible levels, would be hard to imagine them going elsewhere and somehow finding out all of this was only 50% of what they’re capable of, or whatever.

Edited by The Earl of Texas
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

To waste someone’s talent is to hold them back from achieving individual greatness through bad coaching or scheme or whatever. 

Dumping Nuk, employing Buttchin and Easterby and giving away a fuckton of draft picks isn’t holding back Deshaun? Yeah he led the league in passing this season but the next few years look bleak.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Murfdogg21 said:

Is this the first year they give you a second or third round pick for hiring a non-white or woman as your HC and GM? Why not hire a figure head and pay Caserio as president of operations or whatever if you value his mind and experience so much? And then go hire Bieniemy?

No, you have it backwards. You get picks for having a minority coach/executive hired away.

1 hour ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Big Deshaun guy, but he’s not an expert on GMs or hiring, or hiring GMs. If we told him he would have input, management should have given him input, so I can totally understand his agent ego checking the Texans via the media, but Deshaun asked for leadership and structure, so getting upset when management takes leadership and looks to establish structure seems a bit overblown.

But he’s not some hot headed clown like other guys who reach his level of stardom. If Nick is a good hire, then so be it. I think for sure they will give Deshaun input on the coach choice, and I think he’ll come away good with it all. 

Exactly, I'm not a Texans fan but I can guarantee you that this is about Bienemy not getting interviewed.  I'm not quite sure why reporters are so woefully off on this but they are.  

Well if that's what he is asking, then technically it's still doable. I don't think they have interviewed anyone who's season is still ongoing.

Maybe the franchise really is waiting until the playoffs are over. 

And don't put the Belichek-Patriot stench on Daboll. He's had success on his own. The Texans could and will probably do a lot worse.

Well if that's what he is asking, then technically it's still doable. I don't think they have interviewed anyone who's season is still ongoing.

Maybe the franchise really is waiting until the playoffs are over. 

And don't put the Belichek-Patriot stench on Daboll. He's had success on his own. The Texans could and will probably do a lot worse.
Daboll may be a good coach but he coached at New England until 2016, for a few years Easterby and Caserio were there with him. It's more optics then anything now. If they hire him then appearances suggest Easterby made the hire and we are trying to be Patriots South. They need to hire someone else that has NO ties to Patriots otherwise it becomes more of a shit show and we are already have 1 player upset, the most important one....

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I think trading Watson might be the best move.  I love Watson, but let's face it the Texans are years away from being able to assemble a competent roster around him in our current draft situation.  It might make more sense to get the value we can now and officially "announce" we're rebuilding rather than trying to hobble along.  I also hate for a talent like Watson to waste his talent in this situation.  Might be a win/win.

I'm wondering if they lied to/misled Watson about his role/importance within the organization in order to get him to sign a contract extension. They told him one thing, let him comment to the public that that was what they were going to do, and then did not follow through on it, basically making a fool out of him. How can he trust them now?

Here's are Watson's public comments to which i am referring here:

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I think trading Watson might be the best move.  I love Watson, but let's face it the Texans are years away from being able to assemble a competent roster around him in our current draft situation.  It might make more sense to get the value we can now and officially "announce" we're rebuilding rather than trying to hobble along.  I also hate for a talent like Watson to waste his talent in this situation.  Might be a win/win.

He doesn't deserve this.  Jacksonville and New York - please pick up the phone. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

You might be right. But I have zero trust in an organization led by an owner who is simply not bright (level 2 source), who apparently only listens to a pastor when it comes to football decisions, and who apparently thinks if he hires enough of the pastor's buddies they'll win a Super Bowl. 

While I understand the sentiment, you cannot trade a generation talent like DeShaun. With this shitty roster and shitty coaching they lost 6 one score games. With just an upgrade in coaching and few key low cost FA’s plugged in here and there, they could easily improve on that next year. They will also have the benefit of a last place schedule. While they are horrible, a healthy DeShaun keeps them in contention for the rest of his career.

1 hour ago, Rip76 said:

Cal and Nick on 610 Houston at noon

Nick will be with Sean and Seth at 1. Lots more questions will be asked. Sean and Seth know the pulse of beleaguered Texans fans. Cal McNair is a fucking idiot, he embarrassed himself during that press conference. Monotone, lack of energy and can’t read the room for the life of him. He wouldn’t amount to shit if not for his daddy’s billions. 

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1

If we can get three 1st round picks (average position of at least #14th overall) and two second round picks for Watson, I’d do it. Use a 1st and 2nd to draft QBs to battle and then fill roster with the other three picks.

That being said - BoB should be sued for gross negligence that we are even in this position.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

I'm wondering if they lied to/misled Watson about his role/importance within the organization in order to get him to sign a contract extension. They told him one thing, let him comment to the public that that was what they were going to do, and then did not follow through on it, basically making a fool out of him. How can he trust them now?

Here's are Watson's public comments to which i am referring here:

Here’s the 2nd part of that quote, and it makes sense that Watson isn’t happy about it.

Your balls and your word. That’s all we got. I need to know I can trust that you’re going to do what you say you’re going to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

Nick will be with Sean and Seth at 1. Lots more questions will be asked. Sean and Seth know the pulse of beleaguered Texans fans. Cal McNair is a fucking idiot, he embarrassed himself during that press conference. Monotone, lack of energy and can’t read the room for the life of him. He wouldn’t amount to shit if not for his daddy’s billions. 

I was genuinely shocked at Cal's performance.  That was so far beyond simply being a poor speaker, by the end I was sincerely wondering if he has some sort of disability that has gone unmentioned.  It is insane that he controls the fate of a professional sports team.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm too lazy to post all of the video clips but there's some gold in here.  what a dumb shit
https://sportstalk790.iheart.com/featured/what-s-on-matt-s-mind/content/2021-01-08-cal-mcnair-new-texans-gm-nick-caserio-speak-to-the-media/

Thanks. I was pleasantly surprised to see that he was asked some candid questions about Easterby. I was not surprised to see that nobody had an answer for what he actually does.

If DeShaun hadn’t signed the extension they could have just kept franchising him like the cowboys did to dak, right?

It’s amazing that they finally get a qb but will absolutely waste him.

Only for two years and then he would have been an UFA.

7 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Listening to Nick C. There is 1 thing he keeps mentioning and thats there is no player before the success of the team.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

lol, NE sure missed that one player this past season

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Listening to Nick C. There is 1 thing he keeps mentioning and thats there is no player before the success of the team.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

He also says "that's a great question [name of reporter]." Like for every question. Even the soft-ball, ass kissing drivel from Pancakes. He is definitely upbeat and full of energy. Unlike low energy, low intelligence, fat Cal.

Edited by Macklemore

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

I hope Watson gets traded to the 49’ers. He’d be brilliant in Kyle Shanahan’s offense. And Texans could get some draft picks for the rebuild. They need them. Trade JJ there also. He’s done with the circus too. 

Up until now I thought you were a decent poster.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Up until now I thought you were a decent poster.

Me too. I don’t think they should trade Watson. But if he remains unhappy, I think the 49ers would be a good landing spot. And they can deal some picks. Texans desperately need them.