2021 Houston Texans offseason thread

Macklemore

There was some clickbait article that floated a Watson to Miami trade for Tua + two 2021 first round picks (maybe get the #3 back?).
One of those pics was the Texans pic for Tunsil.

So.... I'm off the belief that the only way the Texans unscrew themselves is to trade Watson (who has a no-trade clause) to the best deal he'll accept.... Or draft masterfully in the late rounds since they don't have a 1.

They're over the cap with a really bad defense... Trade DW4 for two 1s and two 2s... Sign one of those Patriot backups...

Playoffs in 3 years...

Whatever.... I was born poor, so I don't get to fuck this chicken.

Yeah I read more credible sites and they’ve also thrown the (formerly Texans) second rounder in too. 

Watson for Tua, #3 pick, #18 pick, #36 pick. 

Watson seems like a generational player, but if he may turn malcontent over whoever the team hires as HC, I think that kind of value would be hard to turn down. The world thought Tua was going to be the same level of QB a year ago. They could get the best non-QB in the draft at #3 or trade down for more. They’d have the opportunity to add starters with high potential and lower salaries to the defense and WR immediately. I don’t know if Miami would want Deshaun enough that you could hard ball them into their 2022 first rounder too. Regardless it would probably be the best package they’d get, because no other team can give them a QB with Tua’s value plus two 1sts and a 2nd. 

• Hook 'Em 1

ESPN had this "story" on its front page today.  I don't think even Jacksonville is that stupid.  Why would you trade the #1 overall pick (Lawrence) for DeShaun? Why would you give up four years of rookie salary and the most anticipated prospect of the last 10 years for DeShaun?  I'm not saying that DeShaun isn't "worth" it, but the rookie QB contract is too big a value to trade away, especially when you have a "can't miss" option to draft. 

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=30675333

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hate said:

ESPN had this "story" on its front page today.  I don't think even Jacksonville is that stupid.  Why would you trade the #1 overall pick (Lawrence) for DeShaun? Why would you give up four years of rookie salary and the most anticipated prospect of the last 10 years for DeShaun?  I'm not saying that DeShaun isn't "worth" it, but the rookie QB contract is too big a value to trade away, especially when you have a "can't miss" option to draft. 

Jags have about $25MM in salary cap.  QB is the 3rd most important position in the entire org: Owner, GM, QB. Trevor Lawrence has not taken one NFL snap. Watson has played at MVP level.

The real question (I haven't read the article) is would Watson accept a trade to Duval County. He has a NTC.

(Now I'll go read it).

1 minute ago, Snacks said:

Jags have about $25MM in salary cap.  QB is the 3rd most important position in the entire org: Owner, GM, QB. Trevor Lawrence has not taken one NFL snap. Watson has played at MVP level.

The real question (I haven't read the article) is would Watson accept a trade to Duval County. He has a NTC.

(Now I'll go read it).

So... I watched it... Pollack is 100% correct.  DW4 would have to agree to it...  The other problem is that the Texans are already over the cap, and would have to eat $22M from Watson.  Jacksonville would have to throw in some cash as well, I suspect.

Oh, and J'Ville is on the Urban Meyer or Bust thread now... I think he's going to take that job.

On 1/9/2021 at 8:46 AM, Hate said:

Because Deshaun is better than like all but 10 first overall picks in NFL history. He's better than every QB since Peyton. I guess Luck could be debatable but not really. The chances Lawrence is as good as he is are pretty slim even with TL's potential. Having a guaranteed top 5 player at the position is worth $30MM of the cap every year imo. 

5 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Do not want anything to do with Tua. If deshaun goes i dont see how any fan can support this franchise or ownership.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jokes of them, I already don’t. The clown show showed themselves already when BoB was made GM and they traded DHop. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Cal is an unrepentant racist just like his daddy. Hopefully, there is audio or video of him using a slur forcing him to sell the team. Not interviewing Bieniemy, Newsome or Alonzo is fucking criminal. Cal is a drunk, racist who wouldn’t amount to a hill of beans without his family money.

• Like 2

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30685827/houston-texans-ignored-search-firm-hiring-gm-nick-caserio-sources-say

If only Texas had ignored K-F, too.  That said, it looks like the Texans screwed the pooch here.

Khan and ESPN Monday Night Football analyst Louis Riddick, who are both minority candidates, were the two finalists before Texans owner Cal McNair changed his mind, ignored the recommendation of the search firm he paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do weeks of work and hired former New England Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio, sources said.

5 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30685827/houston-texans-ignored-search-firm-hiring-gm-nick-caserio-sources-say

If only Texas had ignored K-F, too.  That said, it looks like the Texans screwed the pooch here.

Khan and ESPN Monday Night Football analyst Louis Riddick, who are both minority candidates, were the two finalists before Texans owner Cal McNair changed his mind, ignored the recommendation of the search firm he paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do weeks of work and hired former New England Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio, sources said.

I would have absolutely preferred either one of those candidates... probably leaning toward Riddick.

20 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

14 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I would have absolutely preferred either one of those candidates... probably leaning toward Riddick.

New England has had a pretty high bust rate from their draft picks over the years. The one thing they had was free agents willing to take a little less to go to NE. 

Whether they wanted to play with Brady, they wanted to play with Belichick, or knew that NE was cool with PEDs(?), there was a draw to come play in NE. 

There is no draw in Houston and I do not see this thing going well. 

• Like 1

New England has had a pretty high bust rate from their draft picks over the years. The one thing they had was free agents willing to take a little less to go to NE. 
Whether they wanted to play with Brady, they wanted to play with Belichick, or knew that NE was cool with PEDs(?), there was a draw to come play in NE. 
There is no draw in Houston and I do not see this thing going well. 
There once was no draw to play in NE, either.

Not that I think it's going to with in Houston.

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Texans better get their Head Coach hire right or no way Watson will stay with this H-Town shitshow...

Watson's leverage is miniscule.  Watson can fail to report, and (in time) have his $150 mm contract voided.  This story is overrated.

Cal McNair seems like an unintelligent guy. 

But when did Watson become a trusted evaluator of general managers?

Cal definitely seems and looks retarded, but an “unrepentant racist”? Isn’t Rick Smith his kids’ godfather?

It has been one blunder after another. (I wish I could say) I’m surprised Easterby is still around after those scathing articles, and then got him to ignore consultants and everyone else and stay the course from 2018 to become New England lite. What does it hurt to interview a few black HC candidates even if they don’t intend to hire them? The McNairs just get off on enraging their future HOF players?

If Caserio actually is decent and the relationship with Watson is irreparable, I hope they can fleece Miami for Tua, #3, #18, and #36. They could go a long way towards rebuilding quickly. Maybe GB or some other contender will give up a 3rd for JJ. 

• Hook 'Em 3

51 minutes ago, withinyourreach said:

Watson's leverage is miniscule.  Watson can fail to report, and (in time) have his $150 mm contract voided.  This story is overrated.

Cal McNair seems like an unintelligent guy. 

But when did Watson become a trusted evaluator of general managers?

Whether Watson knows anything about GMing isn't the issue here. The issue is that the Texans organization lied to and misled Watson, publicly, then shat all over him, making him look dumb. You know, the guy who has to be able to trust them to make the whole thing work.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Cal definitely seems and looks retarded, but an “unrepentant racist”? Isn’t Rick Smith his kids’ godfather?

It has been one blunder after another. (I wish I could say) I’m surprised Easterby is still around after those scathing articles, and then got him to ignore consultants and everyone else and stay the course from 2018 to become New England lite. What does it hurt to interview a few black HC candidates even if they don’t intend to hire them? The McNairs just get off on enraging their future HOF players?

If Caserio actually is decent and the relationship with Watson is irreparable, I hope they can fleece Miami for Tua, #3, #18, and #36. They could go a long way towards rebuilding quickly. Maybe GB or some other contender will give up a 3rd for JJ. 

Off point, maybe, but didn't they interview Marvin Lewis and Romeo Crennel?  

19 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

There’s no such thing as fleecing a team when you’re giving up a top 5 qb. The Dolphins would do that trade tonight and the entire league would laugh at the Texans.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Texans better get their Head Coach hire right or no way Watson will stay with this H-Town shitshow...

They only hire bums from New England, not sure who Belichik is sick of but they will send his ass packing to Houston

• Rage+1 1

The reports say that the Texans were going to hire Omar Khan, a minority, until Cal got his head turned around by the witch Easterby. He hired a a guy not even on Korn Ferry’s list. They don’t even put in interview requests with the 2 top candidates - Saleh and Bieniemy. Not even interviewing. Watson and other players pissed at Cal and the Texans for their response to social justice issues. Unrepentant racist is overboard on my part. He is a godfather to Rick’s kids. However, I do think there is an issue with Texans on this front.

5 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Oh god.

I know. Deadspin has become a joke and this article is really pushing it but, in the end, this perception of the team is going to be a killer in trying to attract the best coaches and players in FA. All Deshaun wanted was to be kept in the loop. That’s it. He wasn’t expecting to choose the GM. Cal couldn’t even be bothered to do that. He chose the snake Easterby, a guy who people in the organization don’t trust, over your franchise QB.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1