Florida 247 Site Reporting Mullen is heading to NFL

BurntOrange&White

8 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/first-and-10-will-dan-mullen-be-coaching-florida-in-2021-its-far-from-certain/

Yea, I posted in the Gators thread that there was smoke about him and the Jets starting a few days ago.  The noise is rising with articles like above.  As MIB stated, there’s public friction with the school admin now stemming from getting us back on the NCAA’s radar after being clean for 30 years, plus all the fuckups in pressers. He’s a really gifted offensive mind, but his ego is going to fuck him.  

jennifer lawrence actress GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Ah yes, the guy became a murderer after leaving college violation. 

No program is pure, but we haven’t had a level 1 finding in 30 years. It was a point of emphasis under Foley. Urban stretched things to the limit but never had any real NCAA troubles. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

Ah yes, the guy became a murderer after leaving college violation. 

No program is pure, but we haven’t had a level 1 finding in 30 years. It was a point of emphasis under Foley. Urban stretched things to the limit but never had any real NCAA troubles. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fanbuzz.com/college-football/sec/florida/aaron-hernandez-uf-career-life/amp/

Lol.  Yeah he was a saint at UF.   

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

A football player drank underage, smoked weed, and got into fights? 

Oh, the Huge Manatee | Know Your Meme

AH was a giant piece of shit after he left Florida.  He was possibly a giant piece of shit while at Florida regarding the shooting, but that's never been proven AFAIK.  Drinking and punching people isn't something that shows up on the NCAA radar.  The point was about NCAA violations, not moralistic hindsight.  

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

AH was a giant piece of shit after he left Florida.  He was possibly a giant piece of shit while at Florida regarding the shooting, but that's never been proven AFAIK.  Drinking and punching people isn't something that shows up on the NCAA radar.  The point was about NCAA violations, not moralistic hindsight.  

There’s quite a bit of smoke that he murdered at UF too.  Just STFU about UF being clean for the last 30 years.  I can’t laugh that hard on a Monday.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

There’s quite a bit of smoke that he murdered at UF too.  Just STFU about UF being clean for the last 30 years.  I can’t laugh that hard on a Monday.  

Clean in this context is not having any level 1/sanctionable violations.  Level 2s and 3s are part of doing business.  

Mullen is overrated. He's a good qb coach, but that's all I got from his time as a coach. He got Dak to raise MSU to bigger heights than their usual, but he was never going to win any championships at any college stop, imo.

He’s a good enough OC. But his personality is not recruiting worthy, and he just comes off as an ass.

He will never get us over the hump b/c we can’t get studs. Non-starter turned Stud Starter QB stories happen once a century.

I miss the OBC every day.
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 9:37 PM, Newy25 said:

Lincoln Riley, Brian Kelly and Matt Campbell are going to be on NFL watch as well. 

I don't see any of them going. 

Riley apparently really wants a NC before entertaining the NFL.

Kelly wants the same and has the normal control issues that come with top level coaches that might keep him in college.

Campbell I just don't see as an NFL guy but maybe I'm wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

Obviously if Urban had punished Hernandez more severely for his marijuana use in college then Odin Lloyd would still be alive today. Funny how no one ever casts stones at Bill Belichick for Aaron’s criminal behavior under his watch. I wonder why that is. (Just kidding. I know why that is. It’s the same reason fans who cast stones at Urban for years suddenly became desperate to hire him as their coach and were desperate to convince themselves he was still coming even after he turned them down.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Obviously if Urban had punished Hernandez more severely for his marijuana use in college then Odin Lloyd would still be alive today. Funny how no one ever casts stones at Bill Belichick for Aaron’s criminal behavior under his watch. I wonder why that is. (Just kidding. I know why that is. It’s the same reason fans who cast stones at Urban for years suddenly became desperate to hire him as their coach and were desperate to convince themselves he was still coming even after he turned them down.)

This should go over well...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

This should go over well...

fOSU fans are generally condescending little bitches, but it is only because they cannot help it. Honestly, you could only expect this type of defensive and unconfident behavior from people who hail from such a shitty place such as Ohio. It is also very difficult for them to maintain any amount of emotional stability when there is so much uncertainty that any of their current coaches will even be there from one moment to the next, with all of their coaches eventually being dismissed for violating NCAA rules or committing other legal/moral improprieties.  It really is a precarious existence holding any sort of fealty to anything related to Ohio.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 8:17 PM, Brothahorn said:

Matt Campbell..proof that these writers make up shit.

Campbell has actually turned the Jets down before.

He's going to get mentioned for every college and NFL job forever because no one (especially in sports media) can fathom someone wanting to stay at ISU.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It's because college coaches are, to many people, supposed to be mentors for young men while NFL coaches are supposed to be managers for adults. 

Everyone thinks Belichick is an asshole, it's just that it's expected in his role.

8 hours ago, maninblack said:

I don't see any of them going. 

Riley apparently really wants a NC before entertaining the NFL.

Kelly wants the same and has the normal control issues that come with top level coaches that might keep him in college.

Campbell I just don't see as an NFL guy but maybe I'm wrong.

I could see it at some point, but later in life when his kids are out of school, and he's possibly grown tired of dealing with 18-22 year olds.  I think the challenge of the NFL appeals to a certain side of him, but I think he still enjoys working with kids, and being in a place where his family is allowed to live their life without external hassles.  When those things pass, I could see him going pro.

A big reason he stays at a job like ISU (allegedly) as opposed to moving to a college blue blood is because when he's out of season, he wants to spend time with his family in relative anonymity, and hates having to go glad hand with boosters on golf courses and shit like that.  The NFL doesn't require the same kind of schmoozing that a blue blood college job does.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

A big reason he stays at a job like ISU (allegedly) as opposed to moving to a college blue blood is because when he's out of season, he wants to spend time with his family in relative anonymity, and hates having to go glad hand with boosters on golf courses and shit like that.  The NFL doesn't require the same kind of schmoozing that a blue blood college job does.

It may not require as much glad handing, but it requires every bit as many hours, if not more.  Nobody’s going to the NFL in hopes that it frees them up to spend more time with their family.

The Urban Meyer thread on Buckeye Planet after he beat Ohio State for the Title in the 08 season was far different from the comments after he beat Michigan like a drum and recruited like a beast. Fans man.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If you believe Urban, they could never catch AH for his weed use on a test even though they knew he was doing it. He allegedly told NFL teams as much before the draft. Went so far as blaming AH for teaching other guys on the team how to beat the testing. We have had plenty of guys get in trouble for similar things, it’s a big leap from there to murdering a guy. 

34 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

It may not require as much glad handing, but it requires every bit as many hours, if not more.  Nobody’s going to the NFL in hopes that it frees them up to spend more time with their family.

That's why I said after the kids are grown up.

If Campbell didn't have a family, I'm pretty sure he'd do literally nothing outside of football, and thus I could see the NFL being a good fit for him when his kids are grown and he grows tired of dealing with young people.  I don't think Campbell hates the time investment of schmoozing, he hates the actual activity itself and is keenly aware of how it's preventing him from doing something else he'd rather do, but can't.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 hour ago, Jabberwocky said:

It is also very difficult for them to maintain any amount of emotional stability when there is so much uncertainty that any of their current coaches will even be there from one moment to the next, with all of their coaches eventually being dismissed for violating NCAA rules or committing other legal/moral improprieties.  It really is a precarious existence holding any sort of fealty to anything related to Ohio.

Certainly a less precarious existence than firing every coach since Royal for sucking ass.  

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

Certainly a less precarious existence than firing every coach since Royal for sucking ass.

Is it? I certainly never felt that way. We could compare all-time records and wins in head-to-head competitions to confirm your proposal if need be. Get back with me on it please.

5 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

The Urban Meyer thread on Buckeye Planet after he beat Ohio State for the Title in the 08 season was far different from the comments after he beat Michigan like a drum and recruited like a beast. Fans man.

For sure. Sports fans are mostly idiots and Buckeye fans are certainly no exception. It’s a source of endless frustration for me and I get into disputes with other Buckeyes way more often than I do with fans of other teams. (I could speak at length about why AD Gene Smith should’ve been fired years ago but this isn’t the time or place for that.) 

My own dad was a guy who held it against Urban for that beatdown in the desert. (But no, can’t leave in the middle of the 4th quarter to beat the traffic. Heaven forbid.) I was worried about that game because I knew what a good coach Meyer is. In 2011, I was trying to explain to my dad why Urban was the obvious coach to replace Jim Tressel but he wasn’t convinced until he heard Meyer’s introductory press conference. I asked him if he was finally warming up to the idea of Urban Meyer as the head coach at OSU and he just laughed and said, “Yeah.”

I’ve followed Urban’s career since he was at Bowling Green. No one ever accused him of any wrongdoing while he was at Bowling Green or Utah. No one ever accused him of any wrongdoing while he was at Florida, either. The reporting I always heard was that Meyer and Richt were the ones in the SEC who were clean when it came to recruiting. Meyer wasn’t oversigning like Saban was. It wasn’t until after Meyer quit Florida that the accusations started to fly, mostly originating with the local sports “journalists” who would be inclined to root for the Gators and be a little butthurt by his defection  

At some point after the fact, someone wrote an article about how many of Urban’s Gator players had been in trouble with the law, the implication being that he was running some sort of rogue program in Gainesville. I wasn’t taken in by that because I’ve seen that bullshit before. I saw the same thing happen sometime in the early years of Tressel at OSU. There were a couple players who committed serious crimes and were immediately dismissed from the team. But some sports “journalist” compiled a list of every DUI, underage drinking charge, possession of marijuana charge, every charge that was eventually dismissed, etc. and equated them all by saying, “Look how many of Tressel’s players have been arrested!”

So for the next year or so I collected a list of every headline I saw about any college football player being arrested for anything. It was a LONG list. Pages long and spanned the length and breadth of football from the biggest programs to the smallest in every division. And those were just the ones that made national news. A coach can only do so much to keep tabs on all his players and I try not to judge from afar. You have to examine everything on a case-by-case basis. I do know that Urban was pretty much unimpeachable when it came to the character of the recruits he brought to Columbus. If he took risks on athletes at Florida, it didn’t appear to be something he did at OSU. Or if he did then those risks apparently paid off. Who’s the biggest asshole Buckeye who played for Urban? I can’t even guess who the outsiders might choose. At the very worst you could say that Urban learned from prior mistakes. Hell, one of the first things he did when he got to Columbus was to suspend Carlos Hyde for three games when he was never arrested and never charged. He was just accused of striking a woman in a nightclub and there was security video that disputed that accusation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

For sure. Sports fans are mostly idiots and Buckeye fans are certainly no exception. It’s a source of endless frustration for me and I get into disputes with other Buckeyes way more often than I do with fans of other teams. (I could speak at length about why AD Gene Smith should’ve been fired years ago but this isn’t the time or place for that.) 

My own dad was a guy who held it against Urban for that beatdown in the desert. (But no, can’t leave in the middle of the 4th quarter to beat the traffic. Heaven forbid.) I was worried about that game because I knew what a good coach Meyer is. In 2011, I was trying to explain to my dad why Urban was the obvious coach to replace Jim Tressel but he wasn’t convinced until he heard Meyer’s introductory press conference. I asked him if he was finally warming up to the idea of Urban Meyer as the head coach at OSU and he just laughed and said, “Yeah.”

I’ve followed Urban’s career since he was at Bowling Green. No one ever accused him of any wrongdoing while he was at Bowling Green or Utah. No one ever accused him of any wrongdoing while he was at Florida, either. The reporting I always heard was that Meyer and Richt were the ones in the SEC who were clean when it came to recruiting. Meyer wasn’t oversigning like Saban was. It wasn’t until after Meyer quit Florida that the accusations started to fly, mostly originating with the local sports “journalists” who would be inclined to root for the Gators and be a little butthurt by his defection  

At some point after the fact, someone wrote an article about how many of Urban’s Gator players had been in trouble with the law, the implication being that he was running some sort of rogue program in Gainesville. I wasn’t taken in by that because I’ve seen that bullshit before. I saw the same thing happen sometime in the early years of Tressel at OSU. There were a couple players who committed serious crimes and were immediately dismissed from the team. But some sports “journalist” compiled a list of every DUI, underage drinking charge, possession of marijuana charge, every charge that was eventually dismissed, etc. and equated them all by saying, “Look how many of Tressel’s players have been arrested!”

So for the next year or so I collected a list of every headline I saw about any college football player being arrested for anything. It was a LONG list. Pages long and spanned the length and breadth of football from the biggest programs to the smallest in every division. And those were just the ones that made national news. A coach can only do so much to keep tabs on all his players and I try not to judge from afar. You have to examine everything on a case-by-case basis. I do know that Urban was pretty much unimpeachable when it came to the character of the recruits he brought to Columbus. If he took risks on athletes at Florida, it didn’t appear to be something he did at OSU. Or if he did then those risks apparently paid off. Who’s the biggest asshole Buckeye who played for Urban? I can’t even guess who the outsiders might choose. At the very worst you could say that Urban learned from prior mistakes. Hell, one of the first things he did when he got to Columbus was to suspend Carlos Hyde for three games when he was never arrested and never charged. He was just accused of striking a woman in a nightclub and there was security video that disputed that accusation. 

the stories about Urban Meyer start from when he was an assistant at Notre Dame in the late 90s.  Meyer told 'recruiting myths' that went far beyond what the school was comfortable with.  Much later players who chose ND over anOSU related that Meyer had told them most ridiculous lies about how horrible UM felt at ND.