15 Years Ago Today

TrashMaster G

We drove to Austin the day after just to take a picture in front of the tower with the big #1.  Growing up in the 60's I assumed Texas would be winning the NCS two or three times every decade, and never imagined that it would be 35 years in between titles.  Can't imagine how long it will now be or if I will even be alive to witness another.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Time to dust off the DVD tonight.

i'm gonna do the same.  and i'll look for Sark on the USC sideline.  he was QB coach.  he was there that night.  he knows what it meant to us.  here's hoping he brings back the glory days.

630185876.jpg

Edited by Jive Turkey

When you and I were in school (me 1950's) they asked us not to yell give'em hell lol.  Those were the days.  Students were in school for three months before flunking out but those were the days of open enrollment.  Today we have lots of students that are too intellectual to get down in the gutter with us old folks who were here before Royal lol.

• Hook 'Em 2

Sark was there - wasn't he?

I would love to know what he thought when Reggie Bush made the decision to lateral. I knew we were in it with that fumble. They believed the hype and we played up to our potential. Thing of beauty. Had to be a heartbreaker for them. 

Hook 'em Coach Sark. Bring it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

Sark was there - wasn't he?

I would love to know what he thought when Reggie Bush made the decision to lateral. I knew we were in it with that fumble. They believed the hype and we played up to our potential. Thing of beauty. Had to be a heartbreaker for them. 

Hook 'em Coach Sark. Bring it. 

Sark was there.  USC QB coach. 

I just realized I had just turned 30...jesus.

"He's going for the cornerrrrrrrrrr...HE'S GOT IT!!!"

I still get choked up every time I hear this.  I was jumping around  my living room like a lunatic when I was watching this live...silently, as it was about 12:30AM where I live, and my wife was asleep.  Unbelievable game, great times.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, capnamerca said:

Was there with my (now) wife. Fucking amazing. Never seen a pregame like it, before or since. I personally saw people with a thousand dollars in cash in their hands, looking for a "just get me into the stadium" ticket, and not finding one. Goddamn that was fun.

I’ve been a lot of big events - Super Bowls, World Series games, Final Fours - and nothing has ever been close to scene outside the Rose Bowl that day. Thousands of fans actively looking for tickets. No sellers. None. Another Surly poster and I had two tickets, but our two friends didn’t. I’m a seasoned street ticket buyer. Couldn’t even stiff a ticket for sale all day. 

Forty-five minutes before kickoff, we decided to give up and instead attempt entry via the famous Texas-OU $20 handshake, which we decided should be a $100, then $200, then $400 handshake. We picked the least supervised ticket taker, way off on the left by himself. Just as we are about to execute our plan, a woman and son appeared out of nowhere. “Do you guys need two tickets?” they asked. Why yes we do.

They wanted $3,000. We talked them down to $2,700. As we’re counting out the money and the total passed $2,000, I thought to myself, “God I hope it’s a good game.”

Bernard

Edited by Bernard
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Pre iPhone mind you. Recorded it on my little orange Samsung digital camera. 

Fucking glorious. Love fan videos of this, Tuckers kick, Shipley kickoff return, Vince to Pittman, all that kind of shit. The crowd roar gives me goosebumps every time 

Edited by Dennis Taylor

I was sitting in Dubai with my best friend and son. Game started very late so we were already a bit drunk and well fed from a pre-game grill out. 

Ex-wife (UT Grad) was pissed at me for keeping the boy awake during the entire game. Some shit like he has school in the morning. I said she had no faith in her Alma Matter, he was going to witness history and off she went to bed. We woke her up when The Play happened and she never was happy that I was right. Kid is still a die-hard Texas fan even though he went to a different school for undergrad. 

Texas Baby! 

Even better was going to the office in the morning to talk shit to my crappy boss. He played for Nebraska and hated everything Burnt Orange. Fuck that guy. 

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Hook 'Em 2

Most unusual thing that will resonate from that day is that there were zero / nada / no tickets being sold before the game.  We were in the lot for about 6 hours before the game and saw not a single one for sale.

The game itself was obviously fantastic.   But the singing of the Eyes, by everyone, post-game was one of the most memorable things I've ever had as a fan.   Better times, those were. 

13 hours ago, 83Horn said:

"He's going for the cornerrrrrrrrrr...HE'S GOT IT!!!"

I still get choked up every time I hear this.  I was jumping around  my living room like a lunatic when I was watching this live...silently, as it was about 12:30AM where I live, and my wife was asleep.  Unbelievable game, great times.

Wise move. Without thinking about it I started screaming like a maniac jumping around the living room.  Wife woke up startled and ran into the living room, pistol in hand.  I was so happy I just started laughing uncontrollably, which certainly pissed her off even more.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Tim Crowder: Here comes that alien onto the field. 

Yeah. Pretty much. 

That’s 42:47 lost from my day...for the 17th time. 

My son and I were at the Rose Bowl. I screamed “WE WON!” when the defense stopped White on 4th down. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

13 hours ago, capnamerca said:

Was there with my (now) wife. Fucking amazing. Never seen a pregame like it, before or since. I personally saw people with a thousand dollars in cash in their hands, looking for a "just get me into the stadium" ticket, and not finding one. Goddamn that was fun.

There were more people in our row than there were seats. I saw the more agile ticketless fans breaching the chain link. Those with $1,000 should have given $100 to the ticket takers like thousands of others did. 

37 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Wise move. Without thinking about it I started screaming like a maniac jumping around the living room.  Wife woke up startled and ran into the living room, pistol in hand.  I was so happy I just started laughing uncontrollably, which certainly pissed her off even more.

I would have been doing the same thing, had we not almost had an "incident" at the beginning of the game.  For about the first 5 minutes of the game, my wife had been walking around the house, doing whatever things wives do that don't include watching television.  She then decides to plop down on the sofa, watches a couple minutes, then says, "Is there anything else on?  I don't want to watch football."  I nearly exploded...words were exchanged.  Regardless of the exact words I used, I think the crazed look on my face spoke more about the seriousness of the situation, and she decided it was a good time to go to bed.  Although I had won the battle for the TV that night, I didn't want to be a complete dickhead, and I was in a much better mood by the end of the game.

• Hook 'Em 2

We drove to Austin the day after just to take a picture in front of the tower with the big #1.  Growing up in the 60's I assumed Texas would be winning the NCS two or three times every decade, and never imagined that it would be 35 years in between titles.  Can't imagine how long it will now be or if I will even be alive to witness another.
and ya know it wouldnt have happened if vince had never said "coach I got this. back off."
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 83Horn said:

I would have been doing the same thing, had we not almost had an "incident" at the beginning of the game.  For about the first 5 minutes of the game, my wife had been walking around the house, doing whatever things wives do that don't include watching television.  She then decides to plop down on the sofa, watches a couple minutes, then says, "Is there anything else on?  I don't want to watch football."  I nearly exploded...words were exchanged.  Regardless of the exact words I used, I think the crazed look on my face spoke more about the seriousness of the situation, and she decided it was a good time to go to bed.  Although I had won the battle for the TV that night, I didn't want to be a complete dickhead, and I was in a much better mood by the end of the game.

My wife and kids had gone to bed.  I had really wanted to go to the 2005 and 2006 games, but with young kids it was just going to be too difficult and expensive.

So I stood in the den watching alone, always confident.  When we fell behind 38-26 my faith started to waiver.  Then the cat walked in.  Sat on his haunches beside me and watched the rest of the game with me.  He NEVER did that-before or after.  Right then, I was sure we would win.  Even the cat knew it would be a special finish!

• Hook 'Em 1

Sat on the 37 yard line on the press box side, opposite of the EZ in which  Vince scored the winner. Sitting to our left was Jeff Madden’s wife, to our right were David Pino’s parents.

My dad scored the tickets from a BMD client of his. In addition, he also provided transportation and lodging. By “transportation,” I mean in this motherfucker’s Gulfstream 3 aircraft, and by “lodging,” I mean he booked a 2-room suite at the goddamn Sheraton Delfina in Santa Monica. Mind you, this event took place about 3.5 weeks after HP broke its 48-year dry spell by prison raping Marshall 59-0 in the state championship game.

The whole season was a magical ride. And if you don’t think I wrote a 30-odd page paper entitled “124-Day War of the Roses” to encapsulate the two seasons, you’d be dead fucking wrong about that.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, hpslugga said:

Sat on the 37 yard line on the press box side, opposite of the EZ in which  Vince scored the winner. Sitting to our left was Jeff Madden’s wife, to our right were David Pino’s parents.

My dad scored the tickets from a BMD client of his. In addition, he also provided transportation and lodging. By “transportation,” I mean in this motherfucker’s Gulfstream 3 aircraft, and by “lodging,” I mean he booked a 2-room suite at the goddamn Sheraton Delfina in Santa Monica. Mind you, this event took place about 3.5 weeks after HP broke its 48-year dry spell by prison raping Marshall 59-0 in the state championship game.

Yeah but it was a white collar prison