Gonna kill if I can't find Diet Dr Pepper in cans soon

Beau Vine

5 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Got damm beer drinkers.  That's basically the whole problem.  People drinking beer at home in cans instead of out in kegs, and drinking more besides.  

Put beer in those half-liter plastic bottles.  It's a win-win. 

At least it is for me.

holy shit.....

The issue with aluminum cans isn't going away.  Beer guys have been scared about this for a while.  It's part of what has driven a formerly priced 6 pack at around $7.99-8.49 up to $8.99 or more.  When we're seeing non-speciality type beers above that, something is wrong.  Hops didnt get more expensive.  Water didnt get more expensive.  Cans got more expensive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The amount of engineering that goes into aluminum cans, lids, and can machinery is fairly astonishing.

Something that saves a tiny amount of aluminum on a per can basis can yield millions in annual savings to manufacturers and buyers.

It's a pretty active area of patenting and patent infringement suits.

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The amount of engineering that goes into aluminum cans, lids, and can machinery is fairly astonishing.

Something that saves a tiny amount of aluminum on a per can basis can yield millions in annual savings to manufacturers and buyers.

It's a pretty active area of patenting and patent infringement suits.

So do you have a million (or billion) dollar idea that we can all latch onto with some kind of investment to make us all rich?

8 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Don’t the aluminum cans just get recycled?  It seems like they should never run out if all the tree huggers, vegans, and bums are doing their job.

The bums need snorkels and fins to fish them out of the Guadalupe.

11 hours ago, Macanudo said:

So do you have a million (or billion) dollar idea that we can all latch onto with some kind of investment to make us all rich?

Nah, it's complicated as shit.  For quite some time now, the aluminum in cans has been so thin that, by all rights, it shouldn't hold up to either the pressure or the handling that cans undergo.  But they've engineered the stresses to a T so they mostly hold up.

One of the more amusing anecdotes is that for years they had been trying to reduce the size of the can opening, because a smaller scored opening withstands pressure better.  But particularly with beer (as opposed to soft drinks) and the hispanic laborer market, sales drop when the hole gets small enough that it can't be chugged.  So there's a ton of effort expended on keeping the hole big, or providing a second hole to break the vacuum, while maintaining lid strength.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Good question. Can their canning lines be modified for bottles?

I went to a plastics trade show a couple of years ago -- it was just as exciting as you might imagine -- and there was a lot of effort underway at producing biodegradeable plastic bottles.  One company had an entire MFG line set up, must have consumed 4,000 sf or so.  The bottles were flying off that thing.  Like, dozens a second.  Cost was still too high, though.

36 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Nah, it's complicated as shit.  For quite some time now, the aluminum in cans has been so thin that, by all rights, it shouldn't hold up to either the pressure or the handling that cans undergo.  But they've engineered the stresses to a T so they mostly hold up.

One of the more amusing anecdotes is that for years they had been trying to reduce the size of the can opening, because a smaller scored opening withstands pressure better.  But particularly with beer (as opposed to soft drinks) and the hispanic laborer market, sales drop when the hole gets small enough that it can't be chugged.  So there's a ton of effort expended on keeping the hole big, or providing a second hole to break the vacuum, while maintaining lid strength.

I was a late 80s baby and remember when the can mouth was a lot smaller. I wonder if anyone has studied rates of obesity in correlation to canned beverage chuggability changes.... Gonna propose this to my graduate advisor.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I forgot to add that there have been a ton of "garage inventors" that have proposed and patented can lids with second openings (like you'd make with a  church key) and ways of making such an opening (it's hard to punch out a small area on a can, even with scoring).  Hardly any of them have proven to be feasible.

Similarly, the engineers at Crown, Ball, MCC, and others have devoted significant resources to the second opening problem without success so far.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

I have 1/2 of a 36 pack from Costco left.  Make me an offer.

I usually keep one from Costco in my office. I've had to buy Diet Pepsi the last several times. I saw DDP once and it was a week after I bought Pepsi and didn't buy it because I figured they were back and would just get it when I ran out. Nope, I'm an idiot; haven't seen them since. 

37 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I forgot to add that there have been a ton of "garage inventors" that have proposed and patented can lids with second openings (like you'd make with a  church key) and ways of making such an opening (it's hard to punch out a small area on a can, even with scoring).  Hardly any of them have proven to be feasible.

Similarly, the engineers at Crown, Ball, MCC, and others have devoted significant resources to the second opening problem without success so far.

Hits close to home.

• Hook 'Em 1