Dallas Cowboys 2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck It All

Vic Mackey

Another shitty season. And to top it off, we extended Kellen Moore for some reason. This after 2 failed seasons but hey, let's keep him around! Lol. Typical Jerry. So fixated on grooming his own guys into being the next big thing. He is desperate to show the league he can do this.Does it remind you of another clueless coach who had zero skins on the wall get the OC job in 2007? Yeah, he became our failed head coach for a decade. Get ready because Jerry sees the same path for Kellen Moore. He is a terrible fucking playcaller and has no feel for when to call certain plays and when to adjust to what the defense is calling. His situational playcalling is god awful. 

Mike Nolan needs to be gone yesterday. Was a terrible hire and made no sense then and will make no sense if he gets to stay.

Mike McCarthy made a ton of head scratching decisions this year and seemed to be all over the place. No real rhyme or reason when he went for 2 and didn't. It really all started week 1 when he bypassed a FG to tie the game and went for it. Then a playcall is called by Kellen that was short of the sticks. He challenged a total of 2 plays all year. He decided not to challenge yesterday and the Giants got 3. I don't mind rolling the dice and being aggressive but at least be consistent with it.

Oh, and Jaylon Smith needs to be gone. He might be my #1 hated Cowboy player ever. Nothing he does is good and is fucking goofy as hell to watch on the field. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Oh, and Jaylon Smith needs to be gone. He might be my #1 hated Cowboy player ever. Nothing he does is good and is fucking goofy as hell to watch on the field. 

Did you hear his post-game interview?  He was asked if he'd be brought back next year and he was completely surprised at the question.  Threw out the, "You need to watch the film for that answer" retort.  

7 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Did you hear his post-game interview?  He was asked if he'd be brought back next year and he was completely surprised at the question.  Threw out the, "You need to watch the film for that answer" retort.  

Absolutely. And he was trashed on The Fan's postgame show, which is the flagship station for Dallas. No one respects this clown. He has no self awareness at all. But that is the Cowboys culture. Jerry hands out free contracts and extensions to guys who don't deserve it. There is no accountability. It's a clown show.

You think Cole Beasley is happy we moved on from him? 2 years in Buffalo and 2 playoff appearances in a row. Something we haven't did here since 2006-07. Buffalo has a great staff and knows what they are doing and have a plan. We throw shit on the wall and hope it sticks. Especially on defense. Our plan is to replace spare parts for more spare parts and hope they work.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lol. Typical Jerry. So fixated on grooming his own guys into being the next big thing. He is desperate to show the league he can do this.

even if he DID "do this", think about the level of sustained success it would take for anyone to be able to legitimately say "it was a slow build but worth it". I'm not even sure there's a reasonable amount of success he could ever get to that would justify the failures of this franchise over the past twenty years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Glimmer of hope?

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

I’ve never been for firing a coach after just one season.  Until now.  MM is lost and needs to go.  He’s just clearly not the guy

He never should have been hired, it was a weird and crazy hire from the beginning, so I don't have any issues with firing after one season.  Just call it a mulligan instead of a real coaching hire.

But Jerry won't do that and even if he did he'd just hire another anonymous doughface to replace him.

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

But Jerry won't do that and even if he did he'd just hire another anonymous doughface to replace him.

If he offered Bienemy, 1) would you be pleased? and 2) would Bienemy be nuts to take it?

Here's an intriguing idea that someone suggested. Trade our 2nd round pick for Sam Darnold, if the Jets are willing, and let Dak walk. He's still on his rookie contract so it saves us a ton of money that we can use elsewhere. Draft as many defensive players as we can. Sign some decent FA's with the money we don't spend on Dak. Sounds like a decent idea to me. 

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

He never should have been hired, it was a weird and crazy hire from the beginning, so I don't have any issues with firing after one season.  Just call it a mulligan instead of a real coaching hire.

Eh I don’t know.  I was okay with the hire. Hard to know if that was gonna be an Andy Reid type deal or the opposite.  Unfortunately, it looks like it was the opposite. But I agree, of all years, this would be a pretty easy one for Jerry to pivot and take the mulligan, while still thinking he’s keeping his pride in tact.

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Here's an intriguing idea that someone suggested. Trade our 2nd round pick for Sam Darnold, if the Jets are willing, and let Dak walk. He's still on his rookie contract so it saves us a ton of money that we can use elsewhere. Draft as many defensive players as we can. Sign some decent FA's with the money we don't spend on Dak. Sounds like a decent idea to me. 

That's a dumb ass idea. Only way you let Dak walk is if his injury isn't going to heal right. The Dak talk this offseason is going to be so much fun, lol. 😒

25 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I’ve never been for firing a coach after just one season.  Until now.  MM is lost and needs to go.  He’s just clearly not the guy

Doesn't matter who he hires. Switzer, Phillips, Garrett, fill in the blank. The requirement to be the Cowboys HC is to sit back while Jerry struts. Garrett hung on for so long because he was able to do that better than anyone else. 

The Cowboys have had two competent coaches while Jerry owned the team, Johnson and Parcells. Both left because of Jerry's interference. Expecting Jerry not to interfere is like expecting a dog to stay out of the cat food. 

It will be this way as long as Jerry lives. No idea what it will be like after he dies, but the Cowboys are doomed as long as he's the owner. 

6 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Doesn't matter who he hires. Switzer, Phillips, Garrett, fill in the blank. The requirement to be the Cowboys HC is to sit back while Jerry struts. Garrett hung on for so long because he was able to do that better than anyone else. 

The Cowboys have had two competent coaches while Jerry owned the team, Johnson and Parcells. Both left because of Jerry's interference. Expecting Jerry not to interfere is like expecting a dog to stay out of the cat food. 

It will be this way as long as Jerry lives. No idea what it will be like after he dies, but the Cowboys are doomed as long as he's the owner. 

People make way too much of this narrative.  Jerry had nothing (or very little) to do with the Cowboys sucking this year.  Other than if you want to say he picked wrong when he hired McCarthy, in which there are tons of "football guys" not named Jerry Jones who would have made the same hire, or at least supported it.  Tired argument is tired.  It's got some validity in certain contexts, but people need to stop trying to shove it into every little negative scenario that has to do with the Cowboys.

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Nothing will ever change unless a GM who is competent and doesn’t have the last name Jones is hired. Rinse and repeat. Jerruh and his family seem to believe they know everything there is to know about winning a MNC this century. 

Then you should probably find a different team.  Because that's one thing that is almost guaranteed never to change...at least in our lifetimes.

BTW, what is a MNC in pro football?

• Haha 1

Biggest problem is Mike McCarthy / this coaching staff is garbage. 

Green Bay fans wanted to get rid of McCarthy a long time before he was actually fired but he had Aaron Rodgers (a top 3 QB of all-time) carry him for a decade. Even in their Super Bowl year they only won 10 games with Aaron freaking Rodgers and a very good defense and then Rodgers and crew bailed him out. 

If we had a Patrick Mahomes in our division I would be fearful of paying Dak because he's clearly a rung or two below the great QBs of the game but we have Daniel Jones, Alex Smith, and Wentz/Jalen Hurts in our crappy division. Not the time to start from scratch QB wise. You could be hunting for a decade for the next guy. There are franchises that have used multiple 1st rounders on QBs over 15-20 years and still not found even someone top 15 in the NFL. 

Oh yeah, and cut Jaylon Smith. 

6 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

People make way too much of this narrative.  Jerry had nothing (or very little) to do with the Cowboys sucking this year.  Other than if you want to say he picked wrong when he hired McCarthy, in which there are tons of "football guys" not named Jerry Jones who would have made the same hire, or at least supported it.  Tired argument is tired.  It's got some validity in certain contexts, but people need to stop trying to shove it into every little negative scenario that has to do with the Cowboys.

You could be right. I gave up on the Cowboys when Jerry hired Wade Phillips. I saw about ten minutes of them this year, as a game was on while I was at a party. Weirdly enough, it was the third quarter of the Giants game when Prescott broke his leg. 

I thought McCarthy took the job cause it was a big paycheck, and didn't have that much invested in the team. It's possible I'm wrong. 

1 minute ago, Richard Kimball said:

I thought McCarthy took the job cause it was a big paycheck, and didn't have that much invested in the team. It's possible I'm wrong. 

Looks to me like you’re right.  And he looks to be spending most of that big paycheck at the grocery store.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

even if he DID "do this", think about the level of sustained success it would take for anyone to be able to legitimately say "it was a slow build but worth it". I'm not even sure there's a reasonable amount of success he could ever get to that would justify the failures of this franchise over the past twenty years. 

Nothing will ever really be worth the shitty last 25 years. You can't erase that. But if Dallas ever wins a Super Bowl soon, then many will forget those last 25 years. I know Mavs fans did when they won in 2011. Or when the Rangers went to back to back, on how shitty they were up to that point. It's pretty sad that my expectations are so low that I just want to be able to see a championship game appearance as an adult. Just for the chance to even play in the Super Bowl. We have not witnessed a divisional round victory in forever now. If we won a Super Bowl, the agony of this fanbase would not be there. Hell, people still give the Mavs and Rick Carsisle a free pass even though they haven't won shit in a decade. I just want one before I die lol

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Darnold is not a good QB. You can talk about the system and team he plays in but if you watch him play, he's pretty fucking below average. Why would you even trade a high 2nd rounder for him? Might as well actually draft one yourself that you would have control over for 4-5 years on a rookie deal.

As someone mentioned, the first goal is to win the division. How do you usually do that? Win the divisional games. Whatever you want to say about Dak, he is great against the East. He only got to play one of them this year before he got hurt against them. Who are the QBs in the East? Hurts, Jones, Wentz, Alex Smith & his spare backup. Dak is easily better than all of them. Is Darnold? No. Is someone else in the draft that we can get? Doubt it. Dak when healthy gives you the best chance. Had Dak's defense gave him 10 turnovers in 3 games like they did for Dalton, we win every one of his starts by 10 plus. He's good enough to overcome his own and others turnovers while his defense does not do jack shit. Imagine if his defense actually had a pulse on a consistent basis.

Until this defense is fixed, we won't go anywhere, though. We ignore DT and safety year after year. And now, LB is a huge need when we thought LVE and Jaylon were our bright future. If LVE is your best LB, you have an issue.

Not sure what to make of this. Many think he is hinting at he wants out and wants to go to another team. By thanking the Cowboys fanbase. I will just leave it here and you can decide.

I never thought it was reasonable to be able to keep all 3 of our WRs since all 3 are going to want big money. There was always going to be an odd man out. And it definitely won't be Ceedee. So it will be between Gallup and Cooper.Which is more important? Is Gallup as good without Cooper on the team? Can him and Ceedee be a 1/2 punch effectively? They are younger although Cooper is not that old at 25 yrs old. But he is much more expensive. Gallup has one year left.

Capture.png

Some recent Super Bowl QBs: Jimmy Garoppolo, Jared Goff, Nick Foles, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Joe Flacco, Colin Kaepernick

Obviously a HOF QB would be great but its not a death sentence if you can put a great defense around a guy. And yeah, we are a long way from having a great defense especially with the burden of the Zeke (salary cap), LVE, Jaylon Smith, Taco Charlton over TJ Watt mess ups. 

Edited by Loch Ness Monster

57 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Some recent Super Bowl QBs: Jimmy Garoppolo, Jared Goff, Nick Foles, Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Joe Flacco, Colin Kaepernick

Obviously a HOF QB would be great but its not a death sentence if you can put a great defense around a guy. And yeah, we are a long way from having a great defense especially with the burden of the Zeke (salary cap), LVE, Jaylon Smith, Taco Charlton over TJ Watt mess ups. 

The thing is, we don't even need great defense. We have gotten to the divisional round without that at all. Our offense is good enough.We just need them to be middle of the road and can make opportunistic stops and takeaways. Get 3 and outs. Something we don't do consistently at all. But our defense is bottom of the barrel constantly. Tom Brady would have thrown 6 or 7 TDs and 500 yards plus on this shit ass defense. 

And those QBs you listed are average to below average. Anyone who thinks Dak can't get to a Super Bowl is naive as hell or just don't like him. The NFC has been the opposite of the AFC. Over there, it was Ben R, Brady and Manning running it. Now they have Mahomes. The NFC is not like that at all. For all the talk of how good Brees and Rodgers is, they have one appearance apiece. Even Russell Wilson has not been in now 6 years.

6 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Another shitty season. And to top it off, we extended Kellen Moore for some reason. This after 2 failed seasons but hey, let's keep him around! Lol. Typical Jerry. So fixated on grooming his own guys into being the next big thing. He is desperate to show the league he can do this.Does it remind you of another clueless coach who had zero skins on the wall get the OC job in 2007? Yeah, he became our failed head coach for a decade. Get ready because Jerry sees the same path for Kellen Moore. He is a terrible fucking playcaller and has no feel for when to call certain plays and when to adjust to what the defense is calling. His situational playcalling is god awful. 

Mike Nolan needs to be gone yesterday. Was a terrible hire and made no sense then and will make no sense if he gets to stay.

Mike McCarthy made a ton of head scratching decisions this year and seemed to be all over the place. No real rhyme or reason when he went for 2 and didn't. It really all started week 1 when he bypassed a FG to tie the game and went for it. Then a playcall is called by Kellen that was short of the sticks. He challenged a total of 2 plays all year. He decided not to challenge yesterday and the Giants got 3. I don't mind rolling the dice and being aggressive but at least be consistent with it.

If you don’t understand why we should extend Kellen Moore, I don’t know what to tell you. I really don’t. From top to bottom, he is the coach I have the most confidence in within this organization. 

Like, if Dalton really is as bad as you say he is, and I don’t want to put words in your mouth, how has he not done a great job considering what he’s working with this year? Especially when you consider the injuries we’ve had on the oline, and the fact that Zeke has regressed as much as he has. Explain how he didn’t do a great job getting the most out of Dalton Shultz, a guy all of us would’ve been fine cutting coming into the year. 

Sometimes I think you hate on people just for show, and you don’t even remember your own takes. Then they become hard to navigate. I don’t know where Kellen Moore ranks in terms of OCs across the league, or how he’s viewed around the league by other GMs, but there is zero scenario where you keep McCarthy and move on from literally the one coach on staff that you can say with a straight face had a decent year and has room to grow. Just a god awful, terrible take. And for the record, I don’t necessarily think Moore is an outstanding OC. I think he has strengths and weaknesses and the jury is still out. But it’s laughable to think you’d just move on from him of all guys on this coaching staff.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

If you don’t understand why we should extend Kellen Moore, I don’t know what to tell you. I really don’t. From top to bottom, he is the coach I have the most confidence in within this organization. 

Like, if Dalton really is as bad as you say he is, and I don’t want to put words in your mouth, how has he not done a great job considering what he’s working with this year? Especially when you consider the injuries we’ve had on the oline, and the fact that Zeke has regressed as much as he has. Explain how he didn’t do a great job getting the most out of Dalton Shultz, a guy all of us would’ve been fine cutting coming into the year. 

Sometimes I think you hate on people just for show, and you don’t even remember your own takes. Then they become hard to navigate. I don’t know where Kellen Moore ranks in terms of OCs across the league, or how he’s viewed around the league by other GMs, but there is zero scenario where you keep McCarthy and move on from literally the one coach on staff that you can say with a straight face had a decent year and has room to grow. Just a god awful, terrible take. And for the record, I don’t necessarily think Moore is an outstanding OC. I think he has strengths and weaknesses and the jury is still out. But it’s laughable to think you’d just move on from him of all guys on this coaching staff.

How about you tell me. Lmao at the whole "I don't know what to tell you". No, please tell me and break it down. I want to hear why this scrub should be extended. He has zero idea how to call a game, adjust or attack the opponents weaknesses. It's Linehan and Garrett pt 3. We run the same stale offense no matter what. So many comebacks and curls. Outs. He runs when we should obviously pass and passes when we should obviously run. No feel at all in the redzone.

And what exactly did he do with Dalton? He won some games against extremely shitty teams. Cool?? What exactly did he do last year as well? Remember, there were no injuries last year and his playcalling was pure shit.

If Kellen Moore is your standard, then you were absolutely on board with Garrett as the OC and head coach. Because they are on in the same. And you would be on board with Kellen being our head coach.

Cowboys fans, accepting and embracing mediocre shit coaches thinking we can't improve.

Kellen Moore just got schooled by Jason Garrett who had Daniel Jones at QB and hardly any playmakers. But you don't know what to tell me because I want someone better lmao. Cracks me up.

50 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

How about you tell me. Lmao at the whole "I don't know what to tell you". No, please tell me and break it down. I want to hear why this scrub should be extended. He has zero idea how to call a game, adjust or attack the opponents weaknesses. It's Linehan and Garrett pt 3. We run the same stale offense no matter what. So many comebacks and curls. Outs. He runs when we should obviously pass and passes when we should obviously run. No feel at all in the redzone.

And what exactly did he do with Dalton? He won some games against extremely shitty teams. Cool?? What exactly did he do last year as well? Remember, there were no injuries last year and his playcalling was pure shit.

If Kellen Moore is your standard, then you were absolutely on board with Garrett as the OC and head coach. Because they are on in the same. And you would be on board with Kellen being our head coach.

Cowboys fans, accepting and embracing mediocre shit coaches thinking we can't improve.

Kellen Moore just got schooled by Jason Garrett who had Daniel Jones at QB and hardly any playmakers. But you don't know what to tell me because I want someone better lmao. Cracks me up.

Vic, it’s a terrible take and it shouldn’t even garner a response, but let’s take this dumbass take one step further.

Dak has improved quite a bit since Moore has been on the coaching staff. You would agree with that, right? Because that’s what every GM in America would say. So I guess Kellen had absolutely nothing to do with that, huh? I guess the only reason Dak will stand on the table to defend him is because he’s just good friends with him. He just thinks he’s a good guy and he’s funny sometimes, so fuck it. Keep him around. It has nothing to do with his opinion of Kellen as a football mind. Dak probably doesn’t care about that shit, right? Just link him up with a few buddies and he’ll just adopt the “I’ll figure this shit out on my own” mindset. 

That’s what I mean by “I don’t know what to tell you.” Apparently you don’t think Dak, and this offense in general have improved since Moore has taken over, and I don’t know how to respond to that because of how ridiculous it is. He can definitely improve. Situational awareness is something you can improve on over time, and it’s something I would expect a smart guy like him to get better at. But if you think we’re gonna keep McCarthy and just clean house on every assistant coach on staff, that’s just laughable. Moore is the last coach on this entire staff that anyone would even consider replacing. And the fact that you led with that take in the post I originally quoted says a lot. It makes it even more laughable.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Biggest problem is Mike McCarthy / this coaching staff is garbage. 

Green Bay fans wanted to get rid of McCarthy a long time before he was actually fired but he had Aaron Rodgers (a top 3 QB of all-time) carry him for a decade. Even in their Super Bowl year they only won 10 games with Aaron freaking Rodgers and a very good defense and then Rodgers and crew bailed him out. 

If we had a Patrick Mahomes in our division I would be fearful of paying Dak because he's clearly a rung or two below the great QBs of the game but we have Daniel Jones, Alex Smith, and Wentz/Jalen Hurts in our crappy division. Not the time to start from scratch QB wise. You could be hunting for a decade for the next guy. There are franchises that have used multiple 1st rounders on QBs over 15-20 years and still not found even someone top 15 in the NFL. 

Oh yeah, and cut Jaylon Smith. 

If anyone has doubts about what a shitty HC McCarthy is, they should watch the last five minutes of Packers-Seahawks NFC Championship game a few years ago.

2015, the Green Bay Packers led the Seattle Seahawks throughout the NFC Championship Game. According to ProFootballReference.com, the Packers' odds of winning were 94.4% at halftime and 99.9% with just more than 3 minutes left. Yet somehow, someway, the Seahawksrallied for an improbable 28-22 win in overtime.

Edited by Horn80

10 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Kellen Moore is solid by any metric and the eye test. Vic is pissed (at a professional sports franchise owned by Jerry Jones), because pro sports are his demographic, so I have no idea why you’re engaging him @youdunnf'dup

Imagine having this many posts on Cowboys threads while simultaneously maintaining the firm belief that discussing professional sports is below them. 

6 hours ago, CowtownHorn said:

Do not want to see him again next year.
image.thumb.jpeg.62b4f830c02530dc68106f65846e310f.jpeg

image.gif.37c34f4a4fc7d20a2d62b35469f4d788.gif

image.gif.85bf3d314a21df20008084abda91707e.gif

Anyone who believes that Jerry is going to flush $40 million down the toilet after 1 season during a COVID year is seriously delusional. Give up the fire McCarthy shit. There's absolutely no chance of that happening. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Anyone who believes that Jerry is going to flush $40 million down the toilet after 1 season during a COVID year is seriously delusional. Give up the fire McCarthy shit. There's absolutely no chance of that happening. 

I don’t believe Jerry will fire him, I just said I don’t want him back. 

16 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Offensive play calling was not our problem in that game.  Not even close.

• Like 1

What a shit show... 😂😂😂

Troy Aikman: Kellen Moore accepted Boise State job, then turned it down

By Zach Barnett -  January 6th, 2021

Kellen Moore will not be the next Boise State head coach. The wind blew in that direction late last week and into the weekend, and was finally put to bed when the Dallas Cowboys announced a multi-year extension for their 32-year-offensive coordinator.  But there was a time when it appeared Moore would indeed leave Dallas and returned to his alma mater, according to Troy Aikman.

The Hall of Fame Cowboys quarterback-turned-Fox NFL analyst said during Sunday’s Cowboys-Giants broadcast he was told Moore initially accepted the job before reversing course.

Watch the clip below.

He expounded on that during an appearance with KTCK-FM in Dallas on Tuesday.  “What I’ve been told was that he had been offered the job and he accepted the job,” Aikman said. “Then as they were working out some details there was a bit of a disagreement. It was then that Kellen backed out of the deal because he questioned the overall commitment of the university in supporting the football program and his opportunity to have success.  “I would say that’s a great thing on his part,” Aikman continued. “I believe (Boise) is probably his dream job. I think he holds that university in very high regard so for him to not then follow through, I think, speaks volumes about him. I think that’s a good sign. If you’re a Kellen Moore fan and you’re betting on his future, you’d say, gosh, now I like him even more.”

At press time, a Boise State spokesperson had not returned multiple messages seeking comment.

The belief around the Cowboys in regards to Moore’s thinking is this: At 32 years old, he’ll have other opportunities to become Boise State’s head coach. The shine of his star isn’t waning at his alma mater any time soon, no matter how much success or failure he experiences at the NFL level. But remaining in Dallas keeps him on a path to possibly become an NFL Head Coach in the next year or three, and there’s no guarantee he’d ever get back to that level no matter how much he may have succeeded as the head Bronco.

“I love Boise State. I will always root for them, and I hope one day to be a part of the program again.” Moore said upon signing his extension. “We are building something special here in Dallas. I am thankful to the Jones family and Mike McCarthy for providing me with the opportunity to coach these special players. I am excited for us to put it all together and finish the job.”