Dallas Cowboys 2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck It All

Vic Mackey

On 1/18/2021 at 11:13 AM, Patrick Bateman said:

Championship starting RBs cap number:

Ronald Jones -- 1.928m

Aaron Jones -- 2.182m

Darrell Williams -- 752k (CEH is hurt -- 1.967m)

Devin Singletary -- 933k

Total:  5.795m (7.010 with CEH)

Ezekiel Elliott:  10.900m

Next year:  13.7m

Packers, Bucs, Chiefs, Bills all have elite passing offenses.

Running backs rarely matter in the postseason 

If a RB goes off its usually due to the OL and QB

4 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Packers, Bucs, Chiefs, Bills all have elite passing offenses.

Running backs rarely matter with rare exceptions 

If a RB goes off its usually due to the OL and QB

Fify.  Using top 5 draft capital for a RB is foolish...... paying a RB a lucrative 2nd contract is also pretty foolish.

On 1/18/2021 at 11:13 AM, Patrick Bateman said:

Championship starting RBs cap number:

Ronald Jones -- 1.928m

Aaron Jones -- 2.182m

Darrell Williams -- 752k (CEH is hurt -- 1.967m)

Devin Singletary -- 933k

Total:  5.795m (7.010 with CEH)

Ezekiel Elliott:  10.900m

Next year:  13.7m

4f4f947b5f8d49aefc1702e953de41a3.gif

You could pretty much do the same thing with offensive line salaries of Superbowl teams over the last several years. Dallas gets the worse return on their offensive line spending than any other team, even when healthy.

Any of yall Athletic subscribers? If so be sure to check out the two part series Bob Sturm did on Jaylon Smith 2020 film review. 

Really in depth shit. He had four anonymous coaches break down 8 or so of Jaylon's most infamous plays this year to try to understand if he is just total garbage or if it's something else. 

Really good insight not only about Jaylon and his annoying tendencies to not trust himself or his teammates, but also some of the fundamental flaws of this year's defense. 

It's thoroughly depressing, but I feel it made me smarter about football. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, futureman said:

so what’s the verdict?

It's in the next paragraph. Little bit of this, little bit of that. 

Personally I am done with Jaylon Smith and was even more resolute in that belief when he told reporters to "watch the tape" when questioned about his 2020 season. 

I don't give a fuck if you're Mike Singletary, you should always be looking to improve. I think his only mission in life was to get back on the field after his knee exploded. Kudos for him for doing that, but he seems to forget that now he has to work on his craft. 

2 minutes ago, TornACL said:

It's in the next paragraph.

Really good insight not only about Jaylon and his annoying tendencies to not trust himself or his teammates, but also some of the fundamental flaws of this year's defense

I guess my question is do they say he sucks as much as we think or is it more on the “fundamental flaws” of the defense?  does he just have a few bad tendencies or does he fucking suck at football?

Just now, futureman said:

Really good insight not only about Jaylon and his annoying tendencies to not trust himself or his teammates, but also some of the fundamental flaws of this year's defense

I guess my question is do they say he sucks as much as we think or is it more on the “fundamental flaws” of the defense?  does he just have a few bad tendencies or does he fucking suck at football?

He doesn't trust his instincts and he doesn't stay focused on his responsibilities because, presumably, he doesn't trust his teammates.

The play that stood out to me was the Lamar bootleg run. JS has responsibility for 8, but he inexplicably starts chasing the RB and by the time he realized it was a bootleg, there is no way he's catching Lamar. It's hard enough to catch Lamar even if you play it right. 

But there are also cases where the alignment at the snap was so fucking wrong that it wouldn't have mattered.

It reminds me a little of some of the worst Texas defenses. Guys not handing their gap responsibilities because they're either poorly coached or they know the dumb asses next to or behind them can't be trusted. 

Dane Brugler brought it up on his podcast, but I'm already preparing myself for the cowboys to take an offensive tackle in the first round. I don't necessarily hate it. He keeps saying this is a relatively deep CB draft, and because of the success Diggs had this year, they're probably going to end up thinking they can find a good corner in the 2nd and/or 3rd round. This team needs a good young healthy tackle really bad, and the OTs at the top of this draft are graded higher than the corners at the top of this draft (specifically Slater, who seems to be slotted to us the most). So when it happens, don't lose your shit. 

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

you might want to look at the history of guys McCarthy has hired as OC before you make this request. 

I don’t remember anyone asking you. your pseudo-knowledge of the game may fly in the recruiting threads but not here. this is big boy professional football. 

36 minutes ago, Hate said:

I don’t think that is a bad pick at all. They need a replacement for Smith since he can’t stay in the field for 16 games anymore.

They need a replacement for Smith for sure, but also Collins hip injury seems sketchy to me. Both are concerning 

31 minutes ago, futureman said:

Cosmi should be more than capable of being a solid starter in the league. as he should be available later in the 1st I say trade down to back half of the round and grab an extra 2. 

This idea was thrown around on that podcast as well. Hope a qb falls and trade back to the 20s and draft Cosmi. 

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Dane Brugler brought it up on his podcast, but I'm already preparing myself for the cowboys to take an offensive tackle in the first round. I don't necessarily hate it. He keeps saying this is a relatively deep CB draft, and because of the success Diggs had this year, they're probably going to end up thinking they can find a good corner in the 2nd and/or 3rd round. This team needs a good young healthy tackle really bad, and the OTs at the top of this draft are graded higher than the corners at the top of this draft (specifically Slater, who seems to be slotted to us the most). So when it happens, don't lose your shit. 

Losing out on Sewell sucks but a few guys mocked in 10 area are Slater and Darrisaw.  Darrisaw is a more natural LT, Slater is considered a bit more refined and better and can play either guard or tackle.  A bit like Martin.  I don't hate going OL if it's the BPA.  I also don't hate trading down a bit to get more draft capital if someone wants to trade up for Lance or Davis.  We need an OT, because Smith's situation is tenuous.

5 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Had a nightmare about Jaylon Smith tackling a guy 15 yards down the field and getting up doing his swipe move over and over. 

And an OT in the 1st round would be fine provided its not a reach pick.

That’s what so frustrating about this draft. Pretty much all defensive players that we would take would be a reach at 10. Surtain is probably going to run 4.5+ and when he does he’s going to be slotted closer to 15-20. I think a tackle like slater would be a solid pick at 10 if for no other reason than he probably would be the best player available at that spot. 

6 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

They need a replacement for Smith for sure, but also Collins hip injury seems sketchy to me. Both are concerning 

This idea was thrown around on that podcast as well. Hope a qb falls and trade back to the 20s and draft Cosmi

Cosmi is dropping out of the 1st Rd in several recent Mock Drafts.

image.png

That’s what so frustrating about this draft. Pretty much all defensive players that we would take would be a reach at 10. Surtain is probably going to run 4.5+ and when he does he’s going to be slotted closer to 15-20. I think a tackle like slater would be a solid pick at 10 if for no other reason than he probably would be the best player available at that spot. 

Still hoping the Cowboys can trade down to later in the 1st Rd and pick up additional draft picks...

2 hours ago, futureman said:

finally a glimmer of hope for this sinking ship of a franchise.

stafford would be 1st team all-pro in this offense. god I would love to see what an actual, competent quarterback could do with our weapons. 

Stafford's overrated and his stats are inflated as they've never had a running game. 

6 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Stafford's overrated and his stats are inflated as they've never had a running game. 

the lions are arguably the worst franchise in professional sports. what stafford has done there is a miracle. if he had our roster he would challenge brady for the greatest ever. 

25 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I mean that’s just not true. Stafford never having a running game has made life a lot more difficult for him for his entire career. He’s also played well through some pretty serious injuries behind some bad offensive lines. Stafford is the real deal and he’s gonna make a team like SF or WFT a better team.

We need to sign Dak because he’s the leader of this team and because a case can be made that he’s still on the rise. Not sure if I fully believe the ladder, but even if he doesn’t, he’s clearly a top 10 qb. But Stafford is in that same tier, and if he’s in a place like Indy or SF with a good offensive coach, he’s going to show that. The lions are a shit show, and they always have been. He’s going to make someone a contender. 

The worst case scenario is that Stafford ends up in Washington or San Francisco.  I could see Miami going after him if they can’t get Watson out of Houston, which I don't think is likely.  That may not be such a bad deal for the Lions as the could take a look at Tua for cheap and get some good picks out of the deal. 

16 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

he’s clearly a top 10 qb

I mean that’s just not true. you and everyone else can’t get past the big stats. the problem, here, is that those stats are coming in losses while playing against soft defenses. he’s a loser and he’ll always be a loser.

dak would be lucky to be coaching high school football if he had to deal with what stafford has dealt with in his career. anyone, and I mean anyone, who thinks differently probably has CTE. 

I mean that’s just not true. Stafford never having a running game has made life a lot more difficult for him for his entire career. He’s also played well through some pretty serious injuries behind some bad offensive lines. Stafford is the real deal and he’s gonna make a team like SF or WFT a better team.

We need to sign Dak because he’s the leader of this team and because a case can be made that he’s still on the rise. Not sure if I fully believe the ladder, but even if he doesn’t, he’s clearly a top 10 qb. But Stafford is in that same tier, and if he’s in a place like Indy or SF with a good offensive coach, he’s going to show that. The lions are a shit show, and they always have been. He’s going to make someone a contender. 

Tend to agree with this.  The issue for Stafford going forward will be health, but he's on a great contract and think he still has a couple of good season in him.  I would think SF, NE, WFT, and Indy will be in on him with Indy and SF standing out.  You put Stafford in either place and they'd challenge to go to a conference championship.  Maybe further but he has to stay upright because he's starting to show the wear and tear.  

He's played through some pretty significant injuries as well.  If I am Miami I jump all over this.  Like you said, his contract is good and they have a lot of draft capitol.  They could ship Tua to Detriot along with one of their 1st round and maybe even a couple of 2nd routers.  Tua, a 1st and two 2nds?  That wouldn't be too bad for Detroit.  They could easily find another QB in the draft with the extra 1st to compete with Tua.  Miami should be in win now mode.  I really like their position right now.  There are a lot of different directions they could go.

Edited by Hate