Dallas Cowboys 2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck It All

Vic Mackey

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The stakes are higher at QB. Mistakes are more magnified.

Agreed.  But that's why you get paid the big....... wait, you're telling me the Cowboys front office is littered with people who didn't actually earn their job but simply are running it like their own private fantasy team?  Playing Team President because Daddy is owner?  Playing de facto GM because he was an offensive guard 60 years ago and it makes him happy without any accountability?  Oh, yea..... maybe they just aren't good at their jobs. 

They balked at 25m 2 years ago.  They balked at 30mish last summer.  Now, it's put up or shut up time.  If Dak wants 40m, then yea, I'm on board, hustle and try to sign and trade him and move on..... but the fact that he can ask for 40m is on Jerrah and Son.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

As he should.  That's comparing apples to oranges.  He's a QB, compare him vs his positional market.  Don't understand the point.

I wonder if the market is changing. More likely I don’t known how to evaluate the market, but it seems that teams with qbs making 35+ a year aren’t happy with the investment, at least with wentz and Goff and now the Wilson rumor. No idea what’s going on in Houston.  Has KC even gotten to the rich part of the new mahomes deal yet?

i wonder if at least some teams are deciding that they can’t allocate that level of the cap to the qb position long term. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder if the market is changing. More likely I don’t known how to evaluate the market, but it seems that teams with qbs making 35+ a year aren’t happy with the investment, at least with wentz and Goff and now the Wilson rumor. No idea what’s going on in Houston.  Has KC even gotten to the rich part of the new mahomes deal yet?

i wonder if at least some teams are deciding that they can’t allocate that level of the cap to the qb position long term. 

I think COVID suppression of the cap has some real issues.  I think the representatives of QBs don't give a shit, nor should they.  The teams of Goff and Wentz moved on rather easily from terrible albatross contracts.  I think we'll see what happens with Dak and Josh Allen but I think they'll just backload the contract like Mahomes'.  The issue for Dallas is France wants a contract more like Kirk Cousins rather than Mahomes.  

Mahomes' extension starts this season and gets pricey in 23'.  At some point, there may be a glass ceiling on the contracts but doesn't seem close.  Other positions like RB, DT, and safety get squeezed.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, futureman said:

this is the attitude that results in huge contracts to jared goff, carson wentz, jimmy garoppolo, and myriad others. it’s naive and stupid. 

Not sure, but I don't think Tom Brady has ever been higher than 12th or so in QB salary. However, both of Brady's teams were smart enough to use that money to fill out the roster with good quality players. If Dak took 25 million like Brady did, I have trouble seeing the Cowboys use the extra 15 million or so wisely. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Not sure, but I don't think Tom Brady has ever been higher than 12th or so in QB salary. However, both of Brady's teams were smart enough to use that money to fill out the roster with good quality players. If Dak took 25 million like Brady did, I have trouble seeing the Cowboys use the extra 15 million or so wisely. 

very true. that extra $15MM is already allocated to jaylon and zeke. 

You can’t pay an average qb top money when you have so many other holes. You can pay an average qb top money when you have the 2013 ravens defense. We do not. 

Gotta tag and trade if you can. Or hack his Twitter and make a bunch of racist/sexist comments. I’m sure his password is “pitbull4” or some shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We are learning that a highly paid QB can be a cap killer for teams. That’s an issue. No matter how talented a QB is—if you can’t fill out the roster you more likely than not can’t win. Or you can go the FA route with older players...we have seen though, like with Philly, and other teams that it can also set you back. Like many have said the FO for the Cowboys is a big part of the damn problem. Jerruh acts like he discovered Lamb and Zeke. Like they were just unknown players that all the scouts missed on. He continually needs to pay himself on the back for his “team building.” And it’s a mess. Two years in a row our division is a dumpster fire and we couldn’t win it. The most fun I had watching any team in  our division play was seeing Heineken ball out for WFT in the playoffs. 

I don’t know what the right thing to do is. Where Dallas picks they could possibly move up and get one of the 5 QBs in the draft. Obviously if the tag Dak again they won’t be drafting a high profile QB. I imagine after the Zeke and Cooper contracts it’s been a blast to work with the cap for those who are responsible. Cowboys are just frustrating. This is why you hire people to run the organization. Every year it’s pretty much the same handful of teams. And the ones on the outside looking in all have a lot of the same problems. 

1 hour ago, Richard Kimball said:

Ding Ding Ding.  All the "Can't signs Dak because Cap Space!!!" idiots continue to miss this big shining neon sign.

1 hour ago, Gucci_Suit said:

You can’t pay an average qb top money when you have so many other holes. You can pay an average qb top money when you have the 2013 ravens defense. We do not. 

Gotta tag and trade if you can. Or hack his Twitter and make a bunch of racist/sexist comments. I’m sure his password is “pitbull4” or some shit. 

Cool.  Let me know when the Cowboys are trying to sign and "Average QB" because right now they're trying to sign a Top 8 QB and closer to Top 5 who's only 28 and getting better every year.

But sure, let's let him walk to a team with a competent front office who's already built a good team and let them win SB's with a QB who could win them for us.

• Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Has a mega QB salary won a superbowl yet?  I guess maybe Manning in Denver not sure what his salary was, but even still you'd have to put an asterisk by that one because he sucked and the D won.

Peyton made $19M in 2015 -- $4M of that was incentives. That was 9th-highest among NFL QB's that year.

5 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

He was #6 this year.

48 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Peyton made $19M in 2015 -- $4M of that was incentives. That was 9th-highest among NFL QB's that year.

Manning's cap number was #2 in the league in 2015.  3rd in 2013 when they made the Super Bowl with Denver the first time.  Cap number is a little different than cash flow though.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2013/

Edited by Patrick Bateman

30 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Von Miller was on his rookie contract right? 

Wondering what hall of famers on the Cowboys are on their rookie contracts to help supplement Dak's $42+ million a year deal.

Would say zero and we have some real bad contracts in Zeke/Jaylon.

I think prime Demaryius Thomas was on his rookie deal too. Him and Dez got paid at the same time if I’m not mistaken. I might have just pulled all of that out of my ass though. I do that from time to time lol. Research smesearch 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

38 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

It would be cool to see average % of the cap by position over the years.  QB contracts have been going up but so has the cap.  I wonder how much the contracts are outpacing the cap, and where teams are robbing Peter to pay the QB.    

Here's breakdown by team.  The information you seek is out there, just let Google do the work.

http://overthecap.com/positional-spending/

Saw some "insider" headline about trading Russel Wilson and Dak straight up? Doesn't really make sense to me, but sure, considering Jerry seems content not agreeing to what Dak wants at this point, and yeah, I'd take Wilson in a heartbeat.

Edited by 'stache

23 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Just don't see Dak ever playing well enough in playoff games to get to a Super Bowl,  whether he's with Dallas or another team... 

You serious? He's played in 3 playoff games.  Beat Russ head to head, should have beaten Rodgers, and outplayed Goff in the other loss(when the defense gave up over 200 yards rushing).

This is another case of narrative/perception being WAY off reality.  He was not even close to the issue in any of those games, and honestly a big reason they won the 1 game, and were even in the others.

Jesus, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

28 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Saw some "insider" headline about trading Russel Wilson and Dak straight up? Doesn't really make sense to me, but sure, considering Jerry seems content not agreeing to what Dak wants at this point, and yeah, I'd take Wilson in a heartbeat.

I mean if it's strait up? You have to.  Even though Russ is 4+ years older, he's objectively better(even though there is thought that he's not THAT much better anymore...I'm not sure about that).  He'd cost you less for the next 3 years than Dak will.  

But that's the problem...it wouldn't be.  You'd have to send picks to Seattle, and when you start adding Firsts, and even lower Top 100 picks, it's just obviously such a bad thing to do. Just pay the guy you got and use those picks to get better.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Why? Russell can't win without an all time great defense. Without that, he hasn't did shit Dak hasn't did. Well, except lose to Dak head to head in the playoffs.

People keep romanticizing Russell like this is 2012-2014. Those days are long gone.

• Hook 'Em 1

Are we seriously having a conversation questioning Russ and saying that he isn’t that much better than Dak (or even equal). Is that really how fucking ridiculous this shit has gotten with some of the Dak dick riders in this thread?! Jesus fucking Christ, man. How do you even respond to that. I feel like some of y’all don’t remember how that game actually played out. Neither offense really did shit all game. The defense carried that team all year. Seattle stubbornly tried to run the ball all game. It’s actually where the “let Russ cook” hashtag came from on Seattle Reddit. Dak made 2 really big plays. A pass to Cooper over the middle, and a 3rd and long qb draw. Let’s go ahead and stop pretending like Dak and the offense played great in that game. There’s like 1% of me that hopes we just move on from Dak so this thread can stfu sometimes.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/Breaking-News/2021/02/ESPN-NFL.aspx

ABC/ESPN gets a Super Bowl in the new deal. 

Spoiler

Disney and the NFL have reached a broad agreement on a new media rights deal that will see ESPN renew “MNF” and ABC return to the Super Bowl rotation for the first time since ‘06, according to sources. Contracts still have not been signed, but the two sides have smoothed over enough differences that a deal is very close at hand.

Sources said Disney is expected to pay an increase of up to 30% from its current deal, which based on an average of $2B per year would equate to around $2.6B. An agreement comes after news leaked last week of a stalemate between the two sides, which initially were so far apart in price that some ESPNers questioned whether to cut a deal.

When reached for comment, NFL Media VP/Communications Alex Riethmiller said, “The report is incorrect and as we don’t negotiate through the media, there will be no further comment.” ESPN declined to comment.

The increase that Disney will pay is far below the other networks -- as Fox, CBS and NBC all are seeing the average annual value of their contracts double. ESPN is paying the highest rights fee in the current deal and the increase aligns Disney’s NFL package closer to its broadcast competitors.

Disney will pay more than other media companies for its “MNF” package, and the network will retain the highly coveted highlight rights, which provide year-round programming for ESPN’s studio shows. An undetermined number of regular-season games will be simulcast on ABC, which will produce a Super Bowl for the first time since ‘06.

Disney was the last linchpin for the NFL, which already had reached broad agreements with CBS, Fox and NBC. Media execs are optimistic that the league formally will announce all of its media deals at some point next week.

The new deals will look a lot like the old deals, with CBS and Fox keeping their Sunday afternoon packages and NBC keeping “SNF.” Sources said that CBS, Fox and NBC will be paying around $2B per year for their packages, a massive increase essentially doubling their current deals.

The biggest change will be with “TNF,” which will move from Fox to Amazon Prime and NFL Network. It is unclear what Amazon would be paying.

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

We'd have to give up something.  Probably a high draft pick -- 1st or 2nd or multiple others.  I think it's worth exploring especially if Dak wants more than 35m+ AAV with a ton guaranteed.  Rather have Russ at like 25m+ for 3 years.

16 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We'd have to give up something.  Probably a high draft pick -- 1st or 2nd or multiple others.  I think it's worth exploring especially if Dak wants more than 35m+ AAV with a ton guaranteed.  Rather have Russ at like 25m+ for 3 years.

As the absolute Biggest Dak guy on here even I have said the same(my last post).  Just depends on the assets given up.  I'm sorry but #10 and Dak for him should be more than enough to get that done.

On 2/26/2021 at 5:34 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

The NFL just announced a new TV package today. Quit worrying about the cap. Being concerned about a cap that will double every few years for the next 10 is a total waste of energy. 

Pretty much true, it has consistently gone that way. The only possible question is whether the 'rona might drag on much further, or if interest in the NFL has peaked already and might flatten out.

9 hours ago, DougO said:

Pretty much true, it has consistently gone that way. The only possible question is whether the 'rona might drag on much further, or if interest in the NFL has peaked already and might flatten out.

Even if interest in pro sports has flattened, the networks are in a bind, as sports is the only thing left that people will tune in to watch live, and the NFL has the highest ratings of any live sports programming. 

Be so much easier if they had agreed to a shorter deal (which I predict will become a trend by the teams not players). He’s gotta be straight up delusional if he is seeking Mahomes money. Sorry. I seriously am starting to question Miss Wolf Brand Chili heiress Jane Slater. She seems to only come up with scoop that makes Dak look like a gold digger. She would know. She posted an intern job—for zero dollars to work with her.

• Like 1

.   ARLINGTON, Texas – Contract negotiations between the Dallas Cowboys and quarterback Dak Prescott continue, and if information shared on the Dan Patrick Show turns out to be true, Prescott and his representatives are seeking a deal that would put him right behind Kansas City Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes in terms of pay.Appearing on the show Monday, the NFL Network’s Jane Slater, citing a source with the team, said Prescott and his team are seeking a “respectable offer.”    

So making him the second highest player in the NFL right behind Mahomes is their idea of a respectable offer. I was all for keeping Dak but now I say good riddance to Dak and his brother...

34 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Be so much easier if they had agreed to a shorter deal (which I predict will become a trend by the teams not players). He’s gotta be straight up delusional if he is seeking Mahomes money. Sorry. I seriously am starting to question Miss Wolf Brand Chili heiress Jane Slater. She seems to only come up with scoop that makes Dak look like a gold digger. She would know. She posted an intern job—for zero dollars to work with her.

Pretty much every iteration of news concerning this negotiation has come from the Cowboys, hence why all or most of it tends to make Dak look like a greedy fucker. Dak and Todd France have been mum from the start with only Dak's brother Tad occasionally spouting nonsense on twitter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Pretty much every iteration of news concerning this negotiation has come from the Cowboys, hence why all or most of it tends to make Dak look like a greedy fucker. Dak and Todd France have been mum from the start with only Dak's brother Tad occasionally spouting nonsense on twitter. 

Agreed. It was all about a shorter contract? Which, if true, is actually team friendly—in the parlance of our times. 🤘🏼

59 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

With that being said, Todd France has a Scott boras like reputation for wanting to squeeze teams for every last dollar he can possibly get out of them. So I’m not sure if you’re saying you don’t believe the reports, but I certainly do. And he can get that contract from someone. Maybe it’s us. Maybe not. But he’ll get that size contract eventually

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

don’t be thick. dak absolutely is a greedy fucker. the money he makes from endorsements because he is a dallas cowboys quarterback is ridiculous. he’s too fucking louisiana stupid to realize that making $45MM in jacksonville is considerably less than $35MM in dallas. and if we give him $35MM we are fucking morons. 

• Fuck You 1

58 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

With that being said, Todd France has a Scott boras like reputation for wanting to squeeze teams for every last dollar he can possibly get out of them. So I’m not sure if you’re saying you don’t believe the reports, but I certainly do. And he can get that contract from someone. Maybe it’s us. Maybe not. But he’ll get that size contract eventually

The agency he used to work for (CAA) may have had that rep, but I'm not sure you could say France himself has that rep. One of his recent deals (Grady Jarrett) was noted as one of the most team friendly contracts in the NFL after it was done.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

31 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The agency he used to work for (CAA) may have had that rep, but I'm not sure you could say France himself has that rep. One of his recent deals (Grady Jarrett) was noted as one of the most team friendly contracts in the NFL after it was done.  

That may be true, but I just want to make sure we’re on the same page about what you’re saying. Are you saying you don’t think Dak is asking for $42-$44mil a year over 4 years? Because if he thinks he’s on par with Watson, that’s what the market dictates at this point, no? That would slot him in right between mahomes and Watson. Seems like it would make sense that he’s asking for something like that if he thinks Watson is his peer. And it would also make sense if the Jones family didn’t believe he was on par with Watson. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

That may be true, but I just want to make sure we’re on the same page about what you’re saying. Are you saying you don’t think Dak is asking for $42-$44mil a year over 4 years? Because if he thinks he’s on par with Watson, that’s what the market dictates at this point, no? That would slot him in right between mahomes and Watson. Seems like it would make sense that he’s asking for something like that if he thinks Watson is his peer. And it would also make sense if the Jones family didn’t believe he was on par with Watson. 

I just don't believe contracts are negotiated on a per year basis. The constraints are battled along the lines of years and guaranteed money. Everything else is superfluous fluff for us fans and media folks to pontificate on. And people were claiming Dak asked for similar per year dollars all the way back to last summer and it turned out to be bogus according to team sources.  That being said, this deal better get done before the NFL officially announces the new TV deal because if it gets done after that Dak and every QB up will be asking for 45+ million at minimum. 

So Cowboys options are:

1. Franchise Tag and pay Dak $37.7 million for 2021
  2. Tag and keep negotiating long-term contract
  3. Tag, and trade Dak if possible
  4. Tag, but later rescind if can't get long-term deal
  5. Don't Tag, and move on

If Dak seriously wants $44million, not sure Dallas should keep this negotiation going.  Maybe consider a sign and trade deal so Dak gets to a new team a year earlier, and the Cowboys get a little back in return.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

So Cowboys options are:

1. Franchise Tag and pay Dak $37.7 million for 2021
  2. Tag and keep negotiating long-term contract
  3. Tag, and trade Dak if possible
  4. Tag, but later rescind if can't get long-term deal
  5. Don't Tag, and move on

If Dak seriously wants $44million, not sure Dallas should keep this negotiation going.  Maybe consider a sign and trade deal so Dak gets to a new team a year earlier, and the Cowboys get a little back in return.

6.  Non-exclusive Franchise Tag him.  Let him negotiate with other teams and have the right of first refusal.  If he signs elsewhere and it's too costly, then let him go and collect 2 first rounders.  I think this tag would only be used if the team and Prescott weren't anywhere near close to resigning him, Dallas was dead set on getting something for him, and they explored trade possibilities but Dak and his agent weren't interested.  What also sucks is the tag amount is on your cap.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Mileslong said:

.   ARLINGTON, Texas – Contract negotiations between the Dallas Cowboys and quarterback Dak Prescott continue, and if information shared on the Dan Patrick Show turns out to be true, Prescott and his representatives are seeking a deal that would put him right behind Kansas City Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes in terms of pay.Appearing on the show Monday, the NFL Network’s Jane Slater, citing a source with the team, said Prescott and his team are seeking a “respectable offer.”    

So making him the second highest player in the NFL right behind Mahomes is their idea of a respectable offer. I was all for keeping Dak but now I say good riddance to Dak and his brother...

Coming back from a horrific broken leg too. Heard the Musers earlier this week saying they'd heard Dak had to go back in for a second surgery, which is not usually a good sign  for this type of injury and could mean something wasn't healing correctly. (Think it was actually a soundbyte from a doctor saying that.)

6.  Non-exclusive Franchise Tag him.  Let him negotiate with other teams and have the right of first refusal.  If he signs elsewhere and it's too costly, then let him go and collect 2 first rounders.  I think this tag would only be used if the team and Prescott weren't anywhere near close to resigning him, Dallas was dead set on getting something for him, and they explored trade possibilities but Dak and his agent weren't interested.  What also sucks is the tag amount is on your cap.

This would be best case scenario if they can’t reach an agreement, but there is a zero percent chance anyone is giving up 2 first round picks for Dak and his $44 million per year.

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Thx, forgot this was an option...

3 hours ago, Hate said:

This would be best case scenario if they can’t reach an agreement, but there is a zero percent chance anyone is giving up 2 first round picks for Dak and his $44 million per year.

He'll most likely be more expensive next year as unrestricted free agent.  I would imagine it's a good team who wants an upgrade at QB or has an old QB.  A team like the Bears would probably do it in a heartbeat if they could agree on a package.  Denver would think about and WFT definitely would be interested as would NE, although Billy may just go dumpster diving until he hits on something.

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

The moment the Texans paid Watson, I knew it was going to be damn near impossible to get this deal done. It was a race to see who got their deal done first, and we lost.

Funny thing is, if the Cowboys don't sign Dak long-term,  it may end up as the much better deal than the shit going on in Houston with Watson...