Dallas Cowboys 2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck It All

Vic Mackey

2 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

I would try to move Dak if possible. He's good but not worth being a top 3 paid QB in football. 

That's all I've been saying since the beginning of this. And the main justification was, "it's his turn." Sorry, that's not enough for me.

• Hook 'Em 2

That's all I've been saying since the beginning of this. And the main justification was, "it's his turn." Sorry, that's not enough for me.

That’s what pretty much everyone other than Drew has been saying. He is a good QB and the Cowboys can win with him if all the other pieces are in place. The problem is that there are just too many missing pieces to win right now.

46 minutes ago, C-Man said:

But folks have been saying it for a year and half.  If he signed before or during the 2019 season then it’s at about 30m and he’d be about 5/6th now with 2-3 more guys looking to eclipse him in the next several months and he’d only be a year into his deal at less than we paid on the franchise.  

Jones boys done fucked up.  Now it may be way too prohibitive.  Look at Wilson to trade for.  Doubtful it could come together though.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

But folks have been saying it for a year and half.  If he signed before or during the 2019 season then it’s at about 30m and he’d be about 5/6th now with 2-3 more guys looking to eclipse him in the next several months and he’d only be a year into his deal at less than we paid on the franchise.  

Jones boys done fucked up.  Now it may be way too prohibitive.  Look at Wilson to trade for.  Doubtful it could come together though.

Sounds eerily like the "it's his turn" argument. Not sure how we've gotten into this every QB contract needs to set a new record situation. But as far as I'm concerned, after Mahomes signed his deal that should basically end the QB contract arms race for the foreseeable future.

17 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Sounds eerily like the "it's his turn" argument. Not sure how we've gotten into this every QB contract needs to set a new record situation. But as far as I'm concerned, after Mahomes signed his deal that should basically end the QB contract arms race for the foreseeable future.

That was my thought as well.  There is absolutely no reason anyone should be paid more than or equal to him just because they are the next QB to be eligible for a new deal or extension.  It's stupid. I would rather Dak be traded or walk than for the Cowboys to sign him to some cap killing deal just because his camp feels it's his time.  And to Futureman's point, there is something to be said for being QB for the Cowboys as far as endorsements go.  Would anyone sign Dak as a pitch man if he was QB for any other team outside of the local businesses? 

I’ve grown tired of his camp’s idea of negotiation.  Don’t offer him shit, let him get what he can on the open market. Roll with dalton and/or a qb from this draft. There are like 5, one of them is bound to be available. 

Dak may or may not care if he stays in Dallas, but he knows there’s some market for him and he’s trying to leverage that into getting over market from Jerry.  He knows he’s going to end up with a 100 million dollar contract somewhere, he’s just trying to get 120 out of Jerry instead of taking the 100. 

17 minutes ago, Hate said:

That was my thought as well.  There is absolutely no reason anyone should be paid more than or equal to him just because they are the next QB to be eligible for a new deal or extension.  It's stupid. I would rather Dak be traded or walk than for the Cowboys to sign him to some cap killing deal just because his camp feels it's his time.  And to Futureman's point, there is something to be said for being QB for the Cowboys as far as endorsements go.  Would anyone sign Dak as a pitch man if he was QB for any other team outside of the local businesses? 

No, he's not getting $50M/year in endorsements anywhere else but Dallas, maybe New York. He doesn't have the hardware to back up being a national spokesman in any other NFL port-of-call. Offer him the 37/38M for four or five years, guarantee what you must and tell him take it or leave it. Hell, the Cowboys could give him $30M/year and he'll make a metric shit-ton more money if you add in his endorsement deals than he will if he were to get paid more annually than Mahomes even in some place like Denver. 

Edited by C-Man

27 minutes ago, C-Man said:

No, he's not getting $50M/year in endorsements anywhere else but Dallas, maybe New York.

Lulz @ $50M/ year in endorsements. It has been reported that Drew Brees tops the 2020 NFL list with $15M in endorsements. 

Edited by TonyTexas

11 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Lulz @ $50M/ year in endorsements. It has been reported that Drew Brees tops the 2020 NFL list with $15M in endorsements. 

Guess I'm off quite a bit. LOL. Thought Dak was making a TON in endorsements. Not sure what that number was.

from 2019,

Prescott is currently in the final year of his rookie contract and is scheduled to make just over $2 million this season. Those who are hoping for a team friendly deal may be disappointed. However, it is worth noting that Prescott rakes in over $50 million in off the field endorsements according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. This, of course, is a benefit of playing for America’s Team.

37 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Not saying you're wrong but what makes GOBankingRates the definitive answer on this? I find it hard to believe Dak doesn't crack the Top 15 and would be behind Amari Cooper and Zeke Elliott.

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Not saying you're wrong but what makes GOBankingRates the definitive answer on this? I find it hard to believe Dak doesn't crack the Top 15 and would be behind Amari Cooper and Zeke Elliott.

It's probably somewhere in between. But $50M is in the Tiger Woods, LeBron and Ronald area

This was as of 2019.  It's not just endorsements but includes insurance settlements in the event he sustains a career ending injury.  Either way, Dak is not hurting for money and should keep that in mind.  He doesn't earn that anywhere else without winning and winning big. 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/dak-prescott-endorsements-cowboys-contract

Prescott, 26, has endorsement deals with several top companies, including Campbell’s Chunky Soup, 7-Eleven, New Era caps, Sleep Number beds, Pepsi, Citi, and Oikos. Aside from those deals – many of which are in place for years to come – Prescott has taken out loss-of-value and disability insurance policies that will compensate him in the event of a career-ending injury.

Taken together, Prescott’s endorsement deals and insurance policies are worth more than $50 million, ESPN reported, citing league sources familiar with the matter. By comparison, Prescott is set to earn a base salary of slightly more than $2 million during the 2019 season.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hate said:

According to the interwebs Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, Baker Mayfield, Matt Ryan, Derrick Carr, Marcus Mariota, and Kirk Cousins are just a few of the QBs who make more endorsement money that Dak.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

12 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

According to the interwebs Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, Baker Mayfield, Matt Ryan, Derrick Carr, Marcus Mariota, and Kirk Cousins are just a few of the QBs who make more endorsement money that Dak.

We can find 5 different sources and get 5 different answers on this. I believe baker probably makes more in endorsements (even though Dak is connected with more companies). I don’t believe the other guys are. That wouldn’t make sense. 

16 minutes ago, Hate said:

This was as of 2019.  It's not just endorsements but includes insurance settlements in the event he sustains a career ending injury.  Either way, Dak is not hurting for money and should keep that in mind.  He doesn't earn that anywhere else without winning and winning big. 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/dak-prescott-endorsements-cowboys-contract

Prescott, 26, has endorsement deals with several top companies, including Campbell’s Chunky Soup, 7-Eleven, New Era caps, Sleep Number beds, Pepsi, Citi, and Oikos. Aside from those deals – many of which are in place for years to come – Prescott has taken out loss-of-value and disability insurance policies that will compensate him in the event of a career-ending injury.

Taken together, Prescott’s endorsement deals and insurance policies are worth more than $50 million, ESPN reported, citing league sources familiar with the matter. By comparison, Prescott is set to earn a base salary of slightly more than $2 million during the 2019 season.

The thing is, at the end of the day, there isn’t one person on this board that would take less money to be with the cowboys. We all want to make as much money in our lifetime as long as we aren’t sacrificing much in the way of happiness. If the 49ers or the Steelers want to offer him more money, he should jump on that. 

Hell, if I’m Dak, I’d want to be franchise tagged again. Make $90mil in 3 years, and THEN get a long term deal as the #1 qb on the market when the cap goes up and guys like josh Allen and Lamar Jackson get paid. I don’t care what team it is that pays me. After a certain point, winning is only so important. You have a small window to earn money. Make as much money as possible. It’s why nobody should be surprised jj watt went to the cardinals. Winning a ring is great and all, but if this team is going to double my guaranteed money, then I can make it work. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Are you under the impression in an association with individual employment contacts with differing expiration dates there isn't some sense of timeliness inherent in within the negotiation and agreed upon contracts every year?  Because that's how it kind of reads.  If there wasn't, then they'd all sign long-term contracts with some sort of inflationary measure built in to ensure their contracts keep up with revenue and cap growth.  Market values are driven but many different factors which include salary cap limits, league wide media contracts, collective bargaining agreements, supply of labor, and now.... natural health calamities. 

It's not about turn, it's about understanding league economics, labor supplies, opportunity costs and I'm sure qualitative influences as well.  There were more than a few fans clamoring that Dallas shouldn't pay Dak top value money in the summer of 2019 which was around 30m give or take a couple of million.  And it was an extension built on top of a rookie contract of which he wildly outplayed.  He would have just completed the first year of his extension and almost certainly would have played for less than last year's franchise tag.  It's not about turn, it's about understanding the economics of the league, new media contracts currently being renegotiated, but also the cap growth being stunted by a deadly virus.  The Jones' have really misplayed their hand with Dak (and others) at nearly every turn.  Maybe they can turn some nasty lemons into lemonade but it's tasting pretty bitter right now...

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Would almost be up for paying him top 5 QB money if it was a 5 or 6 year deal so maybe on the backend its fine.

But Dak says he wants #2 QB in the NFL money AND a three year deal. Yeah, no thanks.

He's said no such thing.  He may want those things, but it's never been communicated by him or his agent.  Be careful you're not falling for organizational Jones' spin.

Everyone outside of Jerry and his son realize the Cowboys are terrible at contract negotiations.

Always play hardball with their best players then eventually give in to the players demands.

Said during the Zeke holdout Dak is about 10 times as important as Zeke. At this point I'm just tired of the Dak situation and would try to move him if a deal isn't done in the next week.

Btw, it's reported that Dallas won't use Non-exclusive Franchise Tag on Dak, but they will use the Exclusive Franchise Tag on Dak if a new contract deal isn't done by Tuesday.

Renting Dak for a year (Franchise Tag) with the current roster seems like a really bad plan.  So hopefully one of the following happens:

• Tag and negotiate a new long-term contract
  • Tag and trade Dak
  • Tag, but later rescind if Dallas can't get long-term deal

Edited by LTtxfan

18 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Are you under the impression in an association with individual employment contacts with differing expiration dates there isn't some sense of timeliness inherent in within the negotiation and agreed upon contracts every year?  Because that's how it kind of reads.  If there wasn't, then they'd all sign long-term contracts with some sort of inflationary measure built in to ensure their contracts keep up with revenue and cap growth.  Market values are driven but many different factors which include salary cap limits, league wide media contracts, collective bargaining agreements, supply of labor, and now.... natural health calamities. 

It's not about turn, it's about understanding league economics, labor supplies, opportunity costs and I'm sure qualitative influences as well.  There were more than a few fans clamoring that Dallas shouldn't pay Dak top value money in the summer of 2019 which was around 30m give or take a couple of million.  And it was an extension built on top of a rookie contract of which he wildly outplayed.  He would have just completed the first year of his extension and almost certainly would have played for less than last year's franchise tag.  It's not about turn, it's about understanding the economics of the league, new media contracts currently being renegotiated, but also the cap growth being stunted by a deadly virus.  The Jones' have really misplayed their hand with Dak (and others) at nearly every turn.  Maybe they can turn some nasty lemons into lemonade but it's tasting pretty bitter right now...

Thank you for this extremely thorough and well stated overview of all of the inputs considered going into contract negotiations. The league owners ended the CBA a year early to make sure they had a lengthy CBA going into this year's media rights negotiations. Rumor has it that this deal is going to blow the old media rights deal right out of the water and all current pre-rights deal projections regarding what the cap will be in 3 to 5 years are well below what it will ultimately be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Everyone outside of Jerry and his son realize the Cowboys are terrible at contract negotiations.

Always play hardball with their best players then eventually give in to the players demands.

Said during the Zeke holdout Dak is about 10 times as important as Zeke. At this point I'm just tired of the Dak situation and would try to move him if a deal isn't done in the next week.

With everything except players, Jones is a brilliant negotiator. A guy who can't negotiate couldn't have gotten ATT Stadium built and moved that many marquee college games into it. Guy was able to swing having the Rose Bowl and the Cotton Bowl in his stadium in the same bowl season.

The problem with player negotiations is he's got no clue as to player value. I always thought that was why he and Jimmy Johnson were successful together, but neither was (as far as team performance) on their own. Johnson knew who they needed to get. Jones could close the deal. When Johnson went to Miami, he knew who he wanted, but couldn't close the deal. 

On actual player negotiations, yeah, they do some really goofy stuff.

On 3/4/2021 at 11:50 AM, Patrick Bateman said:

Yep this.

On 3/4/2021 at 12:20 PM, C-Man said:

Then, as Patrick Batemen has pointed out repeatedly, you really have no clue how any of this work.

Guess what happens as soon a smart fucking team pays Dak to lead them to the promised land?

Guys like Lamar, Baker, Kyler, Allen are coming right behind to get paid even more.  Guess what? The Cap goes up every year.  Even in a pandemic riddles season the cap is not dropping at all.

Half those guys, probably most, are NOT as good as Dak is.  But sure, god forbid Dak get's paid Top Tier QB money, while other guys do.  It's the nature of the business.

On 3/5/2021 at 3:07 PM, Loch Ness Monster said:

Educated guess is Jerry eventually caves and gives Dak everything he wants either this offseason or next. Thats what Jerry does

As he should have fucking done 2 years ago, and should do TODAY.  This shit has gone on for so long, that now 75% of this thread is idiots saying "Dak isn't worth Top QB money because, oh I don't know...the eye test" or some shit.

We don't deserve Dak, and I hope to god he goes somewhere else and some of you in here have to watch him succeed on well run teams with actual competent defenses and even a good coach maybe.  

We deserve to be in QB hell after hittin the lottery not once, but TWICE over the last 15 years with Romo and Dak and how we, as a fan base, and the media as well, have basically treated them like "Meh, what they'd ever do?"

Yes that's an over the top rant, but god damn I hate this debate.  I'll be glad to watch the Cowboys without any interest or care in the world like the early 2000's again.  Much less Stress.  But I damned sure will be watching whatever team Dak goes to and happy that he got the fuck out of this toxic cesspool.

• Hook 'Em 3

Not sure Drew understands Daks best chance to make a Super Bowl was when he was on his cheap rookie deal. Its not impossible but when the 10th best QB in football is making more than Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers you are automatically playing from behind each season.

Usually the Super Bowl formula is all time great quarterback or solid QB+ on his rookie contract. Few cheap vets mixed in.

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Not sure Drew understands Daks best chance to make a Super Bowl was when he was on his cheap rookie deal. Its not impossible but when the 10th best QB in football is making more than Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers you are automatically playing from behind each season.

Usually the Super Bowl formula is all time great quarterback or solid QB+ on his rookie contract. Few cheap vets mixed in.

I think that drew thinks that Dak is potentially a HOF caliber qb. 

On 3/7/2021 at 12:26 PM, Loch Ness Monster said:

I'm still laughing at thinking there are 10 QB's better.  I'll give you 5, maybe 6.

On 3/7/2021 at 2:13 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

I think that drew thinks that Dak is potentially a HOF caliber qb. 

He could be if he leaves Dallas.  And I don't think that's outrageous after seeing his growth each year.