Dallas Cowboys 2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck It All

Vic Mackey

5 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

We need to draft Tyron Smiths replacement, dude is great, but he is 67 years old and time is up.  Next anyone on the D line. the WFT scored 9 points a game and their def won it all for them.  All the best Cb's in the world arent worth a shit when NFL qb's have 14 seconds to pass

He's actually only 30 years old.  Hardly old, but back injuries are really bad for lineman.  Really anybody but particularly guys in the trenches.  

5 hours ago, DougO said:

Love Tyron, but his misses games in the season more often than not, hasn't played a full schedule since 2015. He's under control for a few years, but could draw good trade value if the Cowboys could find his replacement. Otherwise, I do believe he could move to guard if needed and do quite well, or flip to the other side if Collins has issues. It's tough to pass on a potentially elite left tackle if there is one at 10.

Because we've restructured his contract so many times, there's no benefit to cut or trade him this year or around the draft.  If it's pre-June 1st, we lose money on the deal and it's over 17m in dead money.  Even a post June 1st transaction offers very little benefit unless a trade where we can get a major contributor or premium draft capital.  After next year, there's some more flexibility but knowing Jerrah, he'll restructure again.  The play if we draft Sewell or Slater is to either bump them inside for a season or two or now that Collins has gotten a contract, he could be bumped inside but he's in his prime and if he's okay medically, that may not be the best move.  There's a ton of things you can do if you think one of Collins, Smith, rookie can kick inside for a season or two.  Slater especially shouldn't have much trouble migrating over.  

Then you can see if Conner can handle center or he simple becomes the 6th guy and plays all over with injuries.  With this OL, it seems injuries will start becoming problematic.  All of our draft "depth" is on the inside.  Note, this is considered a deep draft for the OL too so if you go with Surtain then can come back with an OL in the middle rounds.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

What Dallas needs to realize is you don't need to go all out and draft OL very high. They went all in last decade and used tons of draft capital and then salary cap capital to try and replicate their OL from the glory days. But that OL was nowhere near built how they did it here. We don't need all these 1st round picks across the board. At one point, we were far and away the #1 team who spent the most percentage of the cap on the OL. And it blew up in their face. Tyron is breaking down and misses games every year. Frederick is retired. Zach Martin now gets hurt.

2016 was really the only year we got the most out of that until from start to finish.

Martin's missed 6 games in 7 years.  Frederick was an unfortunate fluke, nothing to do with player evaluation or development.  Tyron has given 9 great years.  Anything else is dressing, but as noted back injuries are bad mojo.  He could play another 3-4 years at a high level, but he's probably going to miss 30% of his games the rest of the way.  Again, the issue wasn't investing in the trenches, it was poor premium picks on other positions of real need(Taco, Jaylon, maybe LVE, maybe Hill, Escobar, etc) and of course, being one of only 3 teams who didn't understand that drafting a RB in the first round is epically stupid.  Extending him to a record deal is unforgiveable.  Cowboys are mediocre drafters, poorly run player personnel and have had shitty coaching.  Just a mismanaged organization but our OL draft picks, particularly in the first round have been sound.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

What Dallas needs to realize is you don't need to go all out and draft OL very high. They went all in last decade and used tons of draft capital and then salary cap capital to try and replicate their OL from the glory days. But that OL was nowhere near built how they did it here. We don't need all these 1st round picks across the board. At one point, we were far and away the #1 team who spent the most percentage of the cap on the OL. And it blew up in their face. Tyron is breaking down and misses games every year. Frederick is retired. Zach Martin now gets hurt.

2016 was really the only year we got the most out of that until from start to finish.

I feel like you're creating a false dichotomy. 

Saying we should draft Sewell or Slater is not saying we should spend all our cap on the offensive line.

However, if you look at all pro teams, the one position that is dominated by first round picks is the offensive line.  You will never see an all pro team with 3 or 4 guys drafted day 2.  The best linemen come from the first round.  I believe 9 of the past 10 all pros were first round picks. 

If Tyron or Lael can't play past next year, we will not find an all pro replacement off the scrap heap.

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I agree with you about guard and center for the most part. We kinda got lucky with Zach Martin and Travis Fredrick. But tackle? You need a first round tackle. 

50 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He’s 30.  I do agree we need to retool the OL and now, with high draft picks. And the DL alongside it.  All this talk of Pitts or Surtain is retarded.  We don’t need a TE or frankly a corner anywhere close to our linemen need.  I’d love it if we drafted 3 of each in this draft.

67 was a joke.  Who's our #2 corner?  Jourdan Lewis?

You gotta remember quinn was an outside-in type guy at Seattle.  Top tier DBs and JAGs at DL and LB. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I keep seeing Ossai in the 2nd round of mock drafts. of course I’m a texas homer but I want to trade back and get as much as we can in return and then take Cosmi mid-late 1st and Ossai in the 2nd. 

I am perfectly fine with this plan. Play cosmi at guard till Collins or smith break down. Ossai in the second seems like an absolute no brainer to me. Biggest issue in this entire draft is there are no elite edge or DL guys going around ten

18 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I am perfectly fine with this plan. Play cosmi at guard till Collins or smith break down. Ossai in the second seems like an absolute no brainer to me. Biggest issue in this entire draft is there are no elite edge or DL guys going around ten

I saw a mock draft that had us taking kwity paye at 10 and ronnie perkins going before ossai in the 2nd. ridiculous. 

9 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Who tha fuck would we move up to 4 to take? Pitts? If we do that we deserve another 25 years of mediocrity. 

who knows what’s true but on the ticket about an hour ago they said the rumor right now is that jerry is completely enamored with pitts and that he wants to trade up and get him.

prepare your anus. 

1 hour ago, fellside said:

Can we get like a name or a tweet or something?

As far as I can tell it's coming from Chris Mortensen. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10000981-cowboys-rumors-jerry-jones-infatuated-with-kyle-pitts-ahead-of-2021-nfl-draft/

"One player has reportedly caught the eye of Dallas Cowboys general manager Jerry Jones leading up to the 2021 NFL draft.

"We're hearing this thing about Jerry Jones, the owner of the Cowboys and the GM, being infatuated with Kyle Pitts," ESPN insider Chris Mortensen said."

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Rage+1 1

19 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

yes on the entire OL but LT is different.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Maybe I just foolishly want to believe Jerry isn’t that dumb, but I think the Pitts stuff is a smoke screen. 

It's the usual let's throw out a Jerrah/draft rumor to get clicks and start pumping up the excitement.  Jerrah and Dallas, for whatever reason, gets people interested in things.  Last year it was Okudah or Kinlaw.  2018 it was Calvin Ridley or trading for Earl Thomas.  I have no doubt the front office finds Pitts to be an elite talent because he is, but trying to move into the top 6 for a TE is silly and I think the cost would prove way too prohibitive.  Frankly, this could be Pitts' agent trying to create a market for his guy.  Mort's really not that connected anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think any fan would tear their eyes out if their team traded up for a TE. But honestly Pitts is more of a WR than a TE and he seems like a Megatron type prospect. He could very well be the best skill player in the league for the next 8 years.

Of course what's the point in having great pass catchers if the QB is dead.

So the reports are that Jerruh is “infatuated” with Pitts...and we know what that means. I am hoping to find a RB gem in the later rounds. The Jags were dogs hit last year but they got lucky with James Robinson who was a badass for them. He went undrafted. We need some kind of spark there and Zeke ain’t it. It would be awesome to get both Cosmi and Ossai but that seems like something Pete and Seattle would do. Not the Cowboys. We need elite corners so I freely expect we won’t draft that. We are lucky our division is dog trash. 

5 hours ago, Gigglebush said:

I think any fan would tear their eyes out if their team traded up for a TE. But honestly Pitts is more of a WR than a TE and he seems like a Megatron type prospect. He could very well be the best skill player in the league for the next 8 years.

Of course what's the point in having great pass catchers if the QB is dead.

If you trade up to take a TE at 4, in a QB oriented draft when you will be paying a Qb price for that draft slot, when we are already stacked with people who catch the football, when we have post-Hurricane Katrina needs at other positions, I’m completely fucking out.  All the fucking way.  I’ll quit watching the games.

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

If you trade up to take a TE at 4, in a QB oriented draft when you will be paying a Qb price for that draft slot, when we are already stacked with people who catch the football, when we have post-Hurricane Katrina needs at other positions, I’m completely fucking out.  All the fucking way.  I’ll quit watching the games.

I thought about posting similar, but I don’t think I can just not watch. I certainly won’t carve out time though or consider it a conflict with anything. 

7 hours ago, kevwun said:

A wise man never bets on Jerry Jones doing the smart thing when it comes to the Cowboys.

There’s smart, there’s not smart, and there’s the dumbest thing. This would be closer to the dumbest thing than it is to not smart, more or less regardless of how good pitts is. 

31 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I thought about posting similar, but I don’t think I can just not watch. I certainly won’t carve out time though or consider it a conflict with anything. 

There’s smart, there’s not smart, and there’s the dumbest thing. This would be closer to the dumbest thing than it is to not smart, more or less regardless of how good pitts is. 

I can.

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’d be down with this. In particular if we get additional picks. 

What is the difference between Cosmi and Connor Williams?  It seems both came out of nowhere at Texas, emerging from obscurity in their sophomore years. Williams has been a bust. I wonder what about Cosmi’s makeup makes him different than Connor?

Size and length.  Cosmi has OT length.  CW had shorter arms and being younger needed to acquire functional strength.  

Dallas moving up more than a spot or two has to be fake news, except it is Jerry we're talking about. The draft fortunes looking heavy on qbs and receivers early is the perfect scenario for having a top defender or elite tackle drop into their laps.

Connor's problem was that he's a bit of a tweener, and was too much of a project to believe he could step right into guard. He wasn't going to be better than a marginal tackle. He may still grow into guard, but they spent too much capital on him when they could have been developing a much cheaper prospect and probably have a better shot at keeping beyond his rookie deal.

PFF’s latest mock draft shows the potential risk of a Cowboys’ trade down in round one

Under Jerry Jones, the Dallas Cowboys trading down in the first round has been virtually nonexistent. Since 2007, Dallas has opted to move their selection down in round one just once. This happened back in 2013 when the Cowboys sent the 18th overall pick to the San Francisco 49ers for pick 31 and a third-round selection.

For Dallas, this unusual trade back actually worked out very well. Despite moving back 13 spots, the Cowboys were able to select center Travis Frederick in round one. Frederick went on to become a five-time Pro Bowler during his six-year career. Dallas also used the extra third-round selection on Baylor wide receiver Terrance Williams. The wideout also played six years in Dallas, posting some solid production. Williams totaled 500 plus receiving yards in five of his six seasons in the NFL.

Although it worked out for the Cowboys in 2013, for the most part, Dallas has been uninterested in moving back in round one, especially if they hold a premium pick like they do in the upcoming 2021 NFL Draft. For the first time since 2016, and the second time since 2011, the Cowboys hold a top-ten pick. But, if this is the year the Cowboys decide to buck their own trend and try to acquire more picks by moving down, what could a potential deal look like?

Well, first off, there’s some serious risk involved trading out of a top-ten pick. If you trade away with a solid prospect on the board, they’ll be linked to your team for the rest of their career. You could trade away from a potential All-Pro, just to acquire more picks that could eventually add up to the level of skill that one player possesses.

You also could find yourself stuck. If you trade down and get back on the clock and aren’t in love with any available prospects, you’ll be forced to reach on a player you don’t feel is worthy of the selection. This exact scenario was demonstrated perfectly in Pro Football Focus’s latest mock draft.

PFF had these nine players, (Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Ja’Marr Chase, Kyle Pitts, Devonta Smith, Penei Sewell, and Patrick Surtain II), off the board before Dallas came on the clock. Despite missing out on Sewell, Pitts, and Surtain, the Cowboys still had offensive tackle Rashawn Slater, and cornerback Jaycee Horn as two potential selections. Instead of selecting Slater or Horn, PFF had Dallas sending pick 10 to the New England Patriots. (Note: PFF does not layout full details of trades in their mock drafts, but we can assume Dallas received pick 15 and likely 46 in the move up for a QB)

New England went ahead and selected Alabama quarterback Mac Jones, followed by Rashawn Slater, Jaycee Horn, Jaylen Waddle, and Christian Darrisaw going off the board. For the Cowboys, this is a disaster scenario. They traded away from two intriguing prospects in Slater and Horn, and now are stuck at 15 having to likely reach on a player with some issues.In this draft, PFF has them selecting Virginia Tech cornerback Caleb Farley, whose draft stock has really plummeted since news broke he will require back surgery. Here’s what PFF had to say about the pick.  

Farley’s draft stock recently took a tumble with the elite athletic testing of Surtain, Horn and Greg Newsome coupled with news of another back surgery for Farley. I would still feel confident taking him here after the trade down for Dallas, especially considering his fit in Dan Quinn’s defense with ideal length and speed for the position. Farley came away from his 2019 season with a 90.5 coverage grade after he allowed just 36% of the passes thrown into his coverage to be completed.

There’s no telling if Farley will be able to overcome his injuries and be a very productive player, but taking someone with that kind of question mark in the first round is a big gamble. Granted, Dallas likely walks away from this deal with another second-round pick, but is that worth trading away from an instant plug-and-play starter in Slater or Horn?

How would you feel about a trade down in round one? Would you feel comfortable trading away from a player of Slater’s or Horn’s caliber to acquire more picks?

nm

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

PFF’s latest mock draft shows the potential risk of a Cowboys’ trade down in round one

In this scenario you take Slater and don't look back..... Slater is considered a bit more flexible with position and is like Zack Martin in he can play multiple positions at a high level probably from the start.

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw this from Cowturd -- says maybe the Cowboys should pick an offensive player in the 1st Round cause they have more success with 1st Round offensive player selectons (and really SUCK at drafting defensive players in the 1st Round 😂😂😂)

Cowturd's Stats

Last 5 Dallas Cowboys Defensive 1st-Round Draft Picks

• 2018   LB Leighton Vander Esch    
  • 2017   DE Taco Charlton
  • 2015   CB Byron Jones
  • 2012   CB Morris Claiborne
  • 2008   CB Mike Jenkins

Last 5 Dallas Cowboys Offensive 1st-Round Draft Picks

• 2020    WR CeeDee Lamb
  • 2016    RB Ezekiel Elliott
  • 2014    OG Zach Martin
  • 2013    C    Travis Frederick
  • 2011     OT  Tyron Smith

6 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

CW not having OT length doesn’t explain why he’s average (at best) at OG. 

what makes CW a good tackle is his athleticism. he has ability to move his feet, stay balanced, and play in open space keeping the rusher away from the qb.  unfortunately his arms aren't quite as long as what NFL scouts look for-  rushers in the NFL are longer and quicker and the extra inch or two make a big difference.  CW's inability to play guard in the NFL is due to his lack of strength.  he just doesn't have much of a base.  the hope was he'd grow into the position by now but that hasn't happened. by moving him into the interior you take away the necessity of playing in space, which is what he was good at, instead exposing his weakness on every play.  it's obvious to me he should have been moved to RT and la'el moved back to the interior but they haven't done that for whatever reason.  maybe has to do with him not being able to seal off on running plays. 

58 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

what makes CW a good tackle is his athleticism. he has ability to move his feet, stay balanced, and play in open space keeping the rusher away from the qb.  unfortunately his arms aren't quite as long as what NFL scouts look for-  rushers in the NFL are longer and quicker and the extra inch or two make a big difference.  CW's inability to play guard in the NFL is due to his lack of strength.  he just doesn't have much of a base.  the hope was he'd grow into the position by now but that hasn't happened. by moving him into the interior you take away the necessity of playing in space, which is what he was good at, instead exposing his weakness on every play.  it's obvious to me he should have been moved to RT and la'el moved back to the interior but they haven't done that for whatever reason.  maybe has to do with him not being able to seal off on running plays. 

Solid analysis...

Cowboys 2021 free agency: With the compensatory pick deadline coming, free agent signings are slowing

It’s possible the Cowboys could sign K.J. Wright and Richard Sherman after April 27th.

By Terence Watson@Watson703  Apr 10, 2021

The Dallas Cowboys front office knows that the more picks you have, the more draft capital you have to move up for a player. Or they can stay put and draft multiple players in an effort to find players that can contribute in a multitude of ways on the team. So their strategy has been pretty simple: sign their own players, sign free agent players that aren’t going to break the bank but are valued by the team. While they do this, they allow their own former players they believe will command more money to test the market, and if another teams signs them they know that some will bring compensatory picks next season as long as they stick to their plan.

Free_agent_signings.png

Courtesy of Spotrac.com

The compensatory pick deadline is April 27, meaning they can sign anyone after that date and it won’t affect the compensatory formula. And if we look at what they’ve done so far this season, we could see possibly two compensatory picks coming back to the Cowboys in 2022 after losing Chidobe Awuzie to the Cincinnati Bengals and Andy Dalton to the Chicago Bears. Other players that left like Xavier Woods, Cameron Erving, and Joe Thomas have potentially been cancelled out after the Cowboys signed Tarrell Basham, Keanu Neal and Damontae Kazee.

Now that they’ve seemingly gone through their free agency process after signing tight end Jeremy Sprinkle and punter Bryan Anger, there are still two positions haven’t really addressed yet, linebacker and cornerback. It just so happens that the Cowboys have been linked to two veteran players at those positions, Richard Sherman and K.J. Wright. Both are former Dan Quinn standout players and while there have been rumors of contact between the Cowboys and Wright in the news, nothing has happened. Sherman has said he probably won’t sign until after the draft.

You have to wonder why the Cowboys, who know they need help at these positions, haven’t signed players that would immediately be able to come in and add talent to the roster, but also be on the field coaches that can help the younger players and Cowboys defenders learn Quinn’s defense.

It all seems to point to the Cowboys waiting until that April 27th deadline before they make a push to sign new players allowing them to protect their possible compensatory picks. There is also the draft, which could change their thinking on any potential free agent signing.

While they have gone out and signed other previous Quinn players, they were players coming off of injuries so they would going to be easier to sign and would be more cost effective, thereby keeping their opportunities for higher compensatory picks in 2022 mostly in tact. Wright and Sherman, on the other hand, are healthy but a little longer in the tooth in football years. They will be able to generate more money which is why teams may have either passed or are waiting to sign them after the compensatory pick deadline

Free Agency 2021 link for Dallas Cowboys...

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/dallas-cowboys-2021-free-agency

• Hook 'Em 1

Caleb Farley is only 22 and had what, two back surgeries, an ACL tear, and was out all last season. And still a team will use a top 30 overall pick on him. No more injured players in the top 2 rounds. 

Sean Lee is about the only injured guy that worked out and he was sitting on the sidelines with a sizable cap hit some years.

Edited by Loch Ness Monster

If it wasn’t for the injuries and for him sitting out a year, Farley would probably be a better prospect than Surtain. His tape is more impressive according to most scouts. He’s a lot faster (and plays a lot faster), and he has a knack for getting his hands on the ball. Plus, he has a little more of that “dog” mentality than Surtain does. 

But the injuries...

23 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Interesting.

Which is why I’ve always found it impossible to believe that outside of last year, Dak has played with anything other than a top 10 offensive line (especially when you throw Collins into the mix). Doesn’t matter. They aren’t that anymore. But I always thought that was a dumb argument. 

24 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Which is why I’ve always found it impossible to believe that outside of last year, Dak has played with anything other than a top 10 offensive line (especially when you throw Collins into the mix). Doesn’t matter. They aren’t that anymore. But I always thought that was a dumb argument. 

2018 was pretty challenging.  No Frederick, Tyron was out 3.5 games and was really not the same most of the year and Zack missed a couple of games.  Connor was a rookie and really struggled and La'el was just coming into his own, not like 2019.  We still went 10-6. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

2018 was pretty challenging.  No Frederick, Tyron was out 3.5 games and was really not the same most of the year and Zack missed a couple of games.  Connor was a rookie and really struggled and La'el was just coming into his own, not like 2019.  We still went 10-6. 

I’d be curious to know how many of those games we won without either Tyron smith or Zach Martin in the lineup. I’d guess not very many, but that’s a complete guess 

PFF has Williams ranked as the number #16 guard in 2020. So top 25%. That’s not an inability to play guard. Maybe he hasn’t lived up to expectations but he’s certainly not exposed every play.

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

PFF has Williams ranked as the number #16 guard in 2020. So top 25%. That’s not an inability to play guard. Maybe he hasn’t lived up to expectations but he’s certainly not exposed every play.

that's surprising.  hopefully he continues that growth.  it'd be huge if he could lock down that LG spot as a top 10 guy in the league.

22 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

22 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Also remember 2017 Tyron missed 6 or so games, LG was a swinging door, and we had the great Chaz Green starting.  It wasn't a banner year either. The ONLY time they had a truly great OL was 2016.  2019 wasn't that bad, but Fred was obviously not where he was before after the Diagnosis.

The myth that Dak has ALWAYS had a great OL is the one that's false.  He's had decent to good ones to bad...but outside of 2016, it's never been great.