Dallas Cowboys 2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck It All

Vic Mackey

Patricia would be my second choice to Edwards. From the Belichick tree they were able to shift their defenses on the fly like no other team ever.

I just think too much 3-4 concept basically throws key personnel in the trash, and will take years to rebuild personnel and they will be spinning their wheels and eventually have to hire someone else to fix it. Big Flounder II: Grocery boogaloo.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Patricia would be my second choice to Edwards. From the Belichick tree they were able to shift their defenses on the fly like no other team ever.

I just think too much 3-4 concept basically throws key personnel in the trash, and will take years to rebuild personnel and they will be spinning their wheels and eventually have to hire someone else to fix it. Big Flounder II: Grocery boogaloo.

Yeah, Patricia's 3-4 not a personnel fit, and it's been reported that he's not a fan of the staff/GM -- can't blame Patricia for that... 😂😂😂

Quinn could be potentially a good hire that can adjust his D to personnel, depending on how much McCarthy dictates what he does with the scheme. If he gets full control of the D it would be a huge upgrade...until he starts giving up a four TD leads in the fourth quarter.

If Quinn is the guy, it’s only going to work if we hit on whatever 1st or 2nd round corner we draft and we invest in a FS (either via draft or FA). Quinn needs a good to great secondary to do what we wants with his defense, and we are far from that. We have 2 or 3 guys that you feel really good about and even those guys have a really small sample size. 

On 1/9/2021 at 1:22 AM, Vic Mackey said:

Dan Quinn? He's nothing more than Mike McCarthy for DC. A failed retread. Pass. 

I wish we could have seen what Richard could have did with his own voice and implementing his own defense. Not calling Marinelli's scheme.

But thank god we purged Nolan. He was beyond terrible. He makes Marinelli look like Vince Lombardi. 

Dan Quinn is a much better DC than what Richard was in SEA.  Richard oversaw a yearly decline in production both in SEA and in Dallas. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Dan Quinn is a much better DC than what Richard was in SEA.  Richard oversaw a yearly decline in production both in SEA and in Dallas. 

Dan Quinn was the head coach of maybe the biggest collapse in sports history. Legion of Boom was how many years ago now? Means zero now. Pederson was just fired and won a ring 3 seasons ago. We also don't have anywhere close to the talent Seattle did in those years.

And I brought up Richard in terms of rather seeing what he can do rather than Nolan. Will Quinn be better than Nolan? Maybe. But he's another yawn hire. 

11 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Dan Quinn was the head coach of maybe the biggest collapse in sports history. Legion of Boom was how many years ago now? Means zero now. Pederson was just fired and won a ring 3 seasons ago. We also don't have anywhere close to the talent Seattle did in those years.

And I brought up Richard in terms of rather seeing what he can do rather than Nolan. Will Quinn be better than Nolan? Maybe. But he's another yawn hire. 

Who would you prefer, Vic? Out of the people that are available, give me a name? I’m not even trying to call you out. I’m genuinely curious to know who you think is a better name, who also happens to be available. Because it’s easy to say “someone who is new blood and not someone recycled” and I get that. I don’t disagree with you. But we suck ass at finding that guy, and I sure as shit don’t trust fat fuck to find that young up and coming DC. So who are some other names you would feel good about? 

disclaimer: I’m not saying I think Quinn is a great DC necessarily but he’s a night and day upgrade over Nolan. I personally like the idea of hiring a guy who was recently a head coach. Get back to focusing on the side of the ball that made you one of the youngest head coaches in the game at the time, and stop worrying about shit like clock management, hiring/firing assistant coaches. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

office space no GIF

22 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Who would you prefer, Vic? Out of the people that are available, give me a name? I’m not even trying to call you out. I’m genuinely curious to know who you think is a better name, who also happens to be available. Because it’s easy to say “someone who is new blood and not someone recycled” and I get that. I don’t disagree with you. But we suck ass at finding that guy, and I sure as shit don’t trust fat fuck to find that young up and coming DC. So who are some other names you would feel good about? 

disclaimer: I’m not saying I think Quinn is a great DC necessarily but he’s a night and day upgrade over Nolan. I personally like the idea of hiring a guy who was recently a head coach. Get back to focusing on the side of the ball that made you one of the youngest head coaches in the game at the time, and stop worrying about shit like clock management, hiring/firing assistant coaches. 

Fully agree with your disclaimer, which was pretty much the point of my post.  

For every young up and comer that works out there are about five others that were flash in the pans. 

At least like Quinn was the DC / head coach for the Falcons and Seahawks Super Bowl teams, his system goes with our current personnel, and is not over the hill. Were not talking about the 1990s the last time he had success. 

Think the biggest issue is I don't think McCarthy is very good. He coasted on having Aaron Rodgers. Meh.

• Like 1

I won’t believe it’s Quinn if he’s not spending the night at Jerry’s house. 

Also, I make all my sales staff spend the night at my house before I hire them. See if they can close me. It would probably work better if I was a chick. 

But for real, Quinn would be awesome. I agree that we need to spend a lot of draft cap on defense, but we had no defensive strategy last year. If we did, our players didn’t know what it was. Especially in the secondary. The players are better than they played. Not so much for linebackers, they just suck dick. 

47 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

I won’t believe it’s Quinn if he’s not spending the night at Jerry’s house. 

Also, I make all my sales staff spend the night at my house before I hire them. See if they can close me. It would probably work better if I was a chick. 

But for real, Quinn would be awesome. I agree that we need to spend a lot of draft cap on defense, but we had no defensive strategy last year. If we did, our players didn’t know what it was. Especially in the secondary. The players are better than they played. Not so much for linebackers, they just suck dick. 

Believe it, cause it’s a done deal. Good shit. Get your plan together and let’s figure out how to get Jaylen smith the fuck out of town

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I was thinking on this.  I'm wondering if Jaylon could play the Kam Chancellor type role for this defense.  

You would hope Donovan Wilson can be a poor man’s chancellor. I’m really excited to see how he can help Wilson and Diggs develop. This hire makes me really want Caleb Farley or Patrick Surtain Jr at pick #10 more than I already did. 

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Legion of Boom was how many years ago now? Means zero now. We also don't have anywhere close to the talent Seattle did in those years.   And I brought up Richard in terms of rather seeing what he can do rather than Nolan. Will Quinn be better than Nolan? Maybe. But he's another yawn hire. 

QUINN >> Nolan

Seems like his defensive style better matches the Cowboys current personnel than Nolan's did.  Vic's concerns might be valid, not sure.

Just glad they didn't hire Whitt.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DougO said:

I hope Dan Quinn's defensive success in Seattle wasn't really because of Pete Carroll, and that Altanta's defensive incompetence wasn't because of Quinn as a head coach.

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I know where my money is at

f149cc54589284bf345b9d183a8a4824.jpg

If I’m not mistaken, he always had a defensive coordinator in Atlanta, right? I thought he was more of a CEO figure at Atlanta kinda like McCarthy was last year.

And the real question/concern is he had the greatest secondary ever assembled in Seattle AND the league started enforcing defensive holding a lot more because of the defenses he coached. Was the talent so overwhelming that anyone would’ve had success, or did he have something to do with getting the most out of those guys? That’s really what it boils down to for me. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

QUINN >> Nolan

Seems like his defensive style better matches the Cowboys current personnel than Nolan's did.  Vic's concerns might be valid, not sure.

Just glad they didn't hire Whitt.  

I agree with this, so at least there's some hope...to be crushed by week three 2021 season.

4 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

If I’m not mistaken, he always had a defensive coordinator in Atlanta, right? I thought he was more of a CEO figure at Atlanta kinda like McCarthy was last year.

And the real question/concern is he had the greatest secondary ever assembled in Seattle AND the league started enforcing defensive holding a lot more because of the defenses he coached. Was the talent so overwhelming that anyone would’ve had success, or did he have something to do with getting the most out of those guys? That’s really what it boils down to for me. 

Well, he actually didn't build the Legion of Boom defense/secondary, Gus Bradley really did.  He inherited it and oversaw their SB win and then jetted to the Falcons.  Atlanta has drafted pretty terribly the last several years which traces back to a lot of their issues, particularly on the defensive side.  How much input did he get in player personnel because if it's a lot, then it may be a very risky hire as Dallas has always allowed their coordinators to dictate a lot of player personnel decisions.  Old man (along with McClay) made some horrific calls on talent including Trysten Hill and the infamous Taco over TJ Watt calls.  Tack McKinley is a weird story and they overdrafted AJ Terrell this year (who we were going to make a mistake on if Lamb hadn't fallen in our lap).  They wasted valuable picks on guys like Keanu Neal, Duke Riley and Isaiah Oliver.  So, Quinn is sort of a question mark, IMO.  His scheme fits the personnel much better than Nolan and I prefer him to Nolan but the hire could probably go anywhere from not good (Nolan was a disaster) to great.  This isn't a homerun hire, but it doesn't seem like a catastrophe either.

4 hours ago, futureman said:

if farley and surtain are both there which one do we want?

I would want Surtain if for no other reason than he played this year. Farley opted out, so what exactly has he been doing this year? But I’d imagine Quinn would prefer Farley. Farley is like 6’2” 205lbs.

Bucky Brooks brought up an interesting point today when talking about this hire, and it’ll be interesting to see how we approach it considering our history. He said the most important player in Dan Quinn’s scheme is the FS and his ability to cover sideline to sideline. Basically said he thought it was an interesting hire because you don’t necessarily need ET, but you need a FS that teams look at and respect. We never invest in saftey, and we have to pay Dak, so we’re not going to break the bank on any free agent saftey. He hinted at the idea that maybe now we reconsider ET since he has/had a good relationship with Quinn, and you could get him for dirt cheap now.

I'm an idiot but color me skeptical on a lot of these opt out guys. Talking about guys that sat out the entire season, not just a random bowl game.

A lot of them had one great year, realized they were a high draft pick then checked out. 

Certainly don't blame them but feel like the bust rate has to be higher, no? May lack some competitive spirit?

On 1/11/2021 at 7:03 PM, LTtxfan said:

QUINN >> Nolan     Seems like his defensive style better matches the Cowboys current personnel than Nolan's did.  Vic's concerns might be valid, not sure.  Just glad they didn't hire Whitt.  

Well shit !!!

McCarthy still gets Whitt dang it...

Giff might be a good hire...

Edited by LTtxfan

18 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

I'm an idiot but color me skeptical on a lot of these opt out guys. Talking about guys that sat out the entire season, not just a random bowl game.

A lot of them had one great year, realized they were a high draft pick then checked out. 

Certainly don't blame them but feel like the bust rate has to be higher, no? May lack some competitive spirit?

For the most part I’m with you, but I also understand where they’re coming from. I don’t look at it like they lack competitive spirit. Some of these guys don’t give a single fuck about college and don’t care about team goals. Their goal is to make it to the NFL, and if you know you’re gonna be a top 15 pick, there’s no point in playing another down for free. At that point it’s about making sure you don’t lose that draft stock and that 1st rd pick guaranteed money. If I’m a GM, I’m nervous just because there’s less tape on them and they haven’t played in a year, but I wouldn’t hold it against them in terms of leadership qualities or competitive spirit.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Hmmm. I was told we should’ve just fired him straight away because he isn’t a good OC.

Lmao. Yeah because NFL teams never hire trash coaches. Oh wait, we have plenty of times ans so has every other team. That's how sports hiring goes. LAC is interviewing Jason Garrett. Guess we should have kept him, too. If your logic is we should never fire someone if some other team is interested, no coach would ever get fired in this league. Ever. 

I guess the Falcons should have never fired Dan Quinn because we hired him. I bet they want a re-do on that....lol

Edited by Vic Mackey

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lmao. Yeah because NFL teams never hire trash coaches. Oh wait, we have plenty of times ans so has every other team. That's how sports hiring goes. LAC is interviewing Jason Garrett. Guess we should have kept him, too. If your logic is we should never fire someone if some other team is interested, no coach would ever get fired in this league. Ever. 

I guess the Falcons should have never fired Dan Quinn because we hired him. I bet they want a re-do on that....lol

Huh? Vic I’m so lost. I don’t even know how to respond to this. Of all the bad takes you’ve ever had on this website, saying we should fire Kellen Moore because of the last two years is EASILY the dumbest thing I can remember you saying. Easily. But maybe that’s just recency bias. You’ve said a lot of dumb shit so maybe I’m not giving your older bad takes the credit they deserves. 

• Like 1

Found this from last April...  The compensatory picks for the 2021 NFL Draft won't be determined by the NFL Management Council's formula until after the 2020 season is over, but in this post I'll attempt to project which teams will be receiving compensatory picks next year and the round in which those picks could fall.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-compensatory-pick-projections-for-every-team-0ap3000001112252 

2021 Projected compensatory picks DALLAS  -- Four Picks

Projected compensatory picks: One apiece in Rounds 3, 4, 5 and 6.
Key free-agent losses:Byron Jones (Dolphins), Robert Quinn (Bears), Randall Cobb (Texans), Maliek Collins (Raiders).
Key free-agent additions:Gerald McCoy (Panthers), Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (Bears), Greg Zuerlein (Rams).
Comp-pick analysis: Dallas lost seven total qualifying free agents and gained three, with the additions of McCoy and Clinton-Dix canceling out the losses of Collins and Jason Witten. Dallas will be without a couple of late-round picks next season thanks to trades they've made, but they will add plenty of ammunition, thanks to the four compensatory picks that should be coming their way.

So I guess 10 possible 2021 Cowboys Draft Picks ???

Right now the Cowboys projected 2021 draft picks*

• 1st Rd  #10
  • 2nd Rd  #44
  • 3rd Rd   #75
  • 4th Rd.  #106
  • 5th Rd    none
  • 6th Rd    #168 (from Detroit)
  • 7th Rd.  #202

Plus possibly 4 compensatory (One apiece in Rounds 3, 4, 5 and 6)

*Draft pick numbers are prior to the addition of compensatory draft picks

Edited by LTtxfan