2021 Thread of 3 Putting

Jhawk

Play more than you practice. Reps on the range are fine when working on a new move or knocking some rust off. Nothing on the range can replicate slight variations of ball above/below the feet, actually having a target, different wind directions, etc. Lots of people can hit the stock shots from a perfectly flat lie with no repercussions for a miss.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

So trying to get back into hitting a few more golf balls lately.  I have a tract of land close to my house that has a neat hilltop that I want to make a cool little wedge range out of.  I am thinking of about 5 or 6 targets out to about to 100 yards, maybe 150, but I am thinking 100.  My thought is to make some 10'x10' targets out of rusty corrugated tin that make a nice thud when hit.  You guys think 10'x10' is big enough out 100 yds, I am kind of thinking it will be pretty hard to hit initially?  I guess I can spray paint something first and see how many times I can get it close to see if worthwhile and then go from there...Any thoughts or input is appreciated.

Here is a pic:

The beginning of the brighter green area in the middle is 100 yds.  I am probably going to take out a few more cedars.  There is a pretty good drop off that is hard to see, the green area at 100 yds is probably 20' lower than the hitting mat..

wedge_range.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

That looks awesome! One of the best features of my house in Leander was a cedar-filled, 6 acre vacant lot behind it. During our 15 years there, every ball I retired or found during a round ended up on my own personal driving range. Always loved being able to just suddenly decide to step outside and fire off a dozen shots.

Asked this in the vegas thread but has anyone here played coyote springs north of Vegas?  I've heard good things but wondering if it is worth the drive. Headed down end of May and trying to decide where to play. 

I've played a shit ton in st george and mesquite, but not that much in Vegas. I think only LVCC, down in Primm and Boulder creek. 

1 hour ago, pops said:

Asked this in the vegas thread but has anyone here played coyote springs north of Vegas?  I've heard good things but wondering if it is worth the drive. Headed down end of May and trying to decide where to play. 

I've played a shit ton in st george and mesquite, but not that much in Vegas. I think only LVCC, down in Primm and Boulder creek. 

I’ve played it. Pretty sweet. Like you said though, it’s just out in the middle of absolute nowhere. If you are looking for something different, I would go back. I liked it better than Wolf Creek or anything in Mesquite.  Not as good as the top of the line in St. George/Hurricane. 

• Like 1

I had easily my best tee-to-green round yesterday at Riverside since I started playing again. Finally unlocked my driver a bit and was really good between 120 and 80 out which is sometimes a struggle for me. Had a look at at least 5 birdie putts from 12-15 feet. Aaaaaand didn't make any of them and probably had 6 or 7 3-putts on the day. Which is what happens when I don't like the greens and don't putt well on top of it. Came in 19 over - including 5 over on the last 3 holes after going 3 over on the previous 6. 

I'm going to break 90 I swear. 

• Like 2

I was a combined 5 inches from going eagle, birdie, par to finish at Forest Creek.  Hit my 3rd on a par 5 to 2 inches on 16, hit my birdie putt from 15 feet away to 2 inches on 17, chipped to 1 inch for par on 18. Its a cruel game, this.

82 in the wind on Friday with six 3 putts, followed by a 76 on Saturday with four 3 putts. Results reflect that I have only been going to the driving range so far in 2021 and have only four total rounds with limited practice on the putting green. The speed control was atrocious, as I actually made a handful of 8-10 foot par putts. Added an emergency 9 on Saturday, which I closed by dunking my third on a par 5 from 75 yards out. I don't recall ever having an eagle before, and this was on a hole I failed to birdie in 30+ rounds in 2020. My dad's reaction: "it's a good thing you didn't have to putt on this hole."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Not sure where to put this question but here goes. I'm trying to find a swing coach for my son. He will be a freshman in high school next year. Want to get him a few lessons over the summer to prepare him for high school golf. We are in the San Antonio area and trying to do this on a teacher's salary. Any suggestions are appreciated. 

On top of the world right now.

As some of you know I wrecked my left shoulder back in May. Rotator, some bonus tendons and muscles reattached. 50 physical therapies and still doing band exercises.

Went to play today at my club for the first time in a year. I can only take it back about 75% but managed a 84 and only hit a rescue off the tee the front 9 until I felt comfortable to hit 3w and finally a few drivers later. I did hit a short par 5 in 2, made a 4. Putting somehow was really good, chipping I looked like a monkey fucking a football (understandable).

By the middle of the round I was taking about 1.5 more club and started to dial it in a little better. Hitting down on wedges still hurt so I was leaving approaches back a bit. My current swing looks like tony finau but I hope to get more parallel and slower. With a 3/4 swing I feel like everything has to go in fast forward to catch up when going down which of course gets the body open and you hit some high and right shots. Great day!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Last weekend at Jimmy Clay, I had 28 putts on my round. 8 one putts and 10 two putts. Gotta think that’s my all time best.

It's funny you mention Jimmy Clay. When I lived in Austin (1994-2003) I'd regularly play Lions, Jimmy Clay, and Roy Kizer. When I was in law school I'd hit Hancock from time to time after class for a quick nine holes. My last "regular game" was in the early 2000's at Jimmy Clay. That was when I'd take my own shag bag to Jimmy Clay to practice pitch shots.

Loved all those courses. I understand they're thinking of getting rid of Hancock.

Anyway, I've been nostalgic lately and have been thinking of driving up from San Antonio to play them.

There are some range games you can play as well. Set an imaginary fairway at whatever width is challenging for you, say 15-20 yards. Take 40 balls and, starting with your shortest club, hit until you get the ball in the fairway, then move up a club. See what club you can get to before you run out of balls. If it’s too easy make the fairway narrower or make it 2 balls in the fairway before you can move up a club. 

Another one:

Imagine  a 20 yard fairway. Find/create or imagine small greens (approx 20-yards diameter) at 100, 150 and 200 yards. Then complete the following stages in order:

Hit two drivers in a row that land in your fairway.

Hit two shots with a fairway wood that land in your fairway.

Hit two shots with a long iron that land in your fairway.

Hit two shots in a row that land on your 100 yards green.

Hit two shots in a row that land on your 150 yards green.

Hit two shots in a row that land on your 200 yards green.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/1/2021 at 7:15 PM, pops said:

Have you looked at cascata? 

On 3/26/2021 at 6:46 AM, Bookman said:

I feel like this is a game changer.

Played my first legitimate round since the lesson. Silverhorn in San Antonio. Played the ball down and putted everything out, and I just broke 80 for the first time in probably 20 years.

Shot 78 with 2 birdies, 11 pars, 3 bogeys, 1 double and 1 triple. The previous 22 rounds my average score was 90.09, averaging 5.3 pars/round.

I hit 12 fairways. I average 5.35/round.

I hit 11 greens. I average 5.40/round.

No 3-putts. I average 3.16/round. I was attacking pins today and had lots of makeable birdie putts.

My double bogey came because I attacked a pin, which brought the water into play. My triple was a terrible, terrible bunker shot on a par 5. Hit it way, way over the green. Need to practice that shit.

I seriously, seriously would like to thank the guy who gave me that lesson. He's changed my golf game. I might go give him a $100 tip tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bookman said:

I seriously, seriously would like to thank the guy who gave me that lesson. He's changed my golf game. I might go give him a $100 tip tomorrow.

Just keep in mind you'll probably shoot 95 next time out. 

I could use a lesson. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Played my first legitimate round since the lesson. Silverhorn in San Antonio. Played the ball down and putted everything out, and I just broke 80 for the first time in probably 20 years.

Shot 78 with 2 birdies, 11 pars, 3 bogeys, 1 double and 1 triple. The previous 22 rounds my average score was 90.09, averaging 5.3 pars/round.

I hit 12 fairways. I average 5.35/round.

I hit 11 greens. I average 5.40/round.

No 3-putts. I average 3.16/round. I was attacking pins today and had lots of makeable birdie putts.

My double bogey came because I attacked a pin, which brought the water into play. My triple was a terrible, terrible bunker shot on a par 5. Hit it way, way over the green. Need to practice that shit.

Nothing better than getting a set of eyes on your swing. Feel isn't real. Need someone else to tell you what you're actually doing. 

That's awesome. Congrats! 

• Like 1

After a multi-year quasi hiatus (averaged maybe 3-5 rounds / year over the last six or so years), I'm actually pretty damn focused on getting back into golf.  I've played a few times this year.  I finally got a few BIG work projects in my rearview mirror, so my schedule is much more flexible.  And, I'm looking forward to entertaining clients on the golf course as well.

I live in Dripping Springs, so local options are fairly limited (Vaaler Creek is actually the closest to my house).  But, my office is in Southeast Austin, and I'm < 10 min from Onion Creek.  It's always been one of my favorites in this area.  And, honestly, it's easier for me to play during the week than on a weekend at this stage in my life.  I went there with a new set of eyes last week for a tour, and I'm strongly considering joining.  

Anyone a member out there?  Any general feedback on joining a club?

It's non-equity, and the initiation fee and monthly dues are reasonable.  No monthly minimum for food & beverage.  Decent range.  Nice practice area.  27 holes, so it'll be nice to get some variety.  They have over 500 golf members (more if you count tennis only and social members), which at a glance, seems like a bunch.  But, the cap in their bylaws is 750, so they feel like it's a manageable amount.  They were purchased by Arcis Golf who appears to be putting some decent money into the course and they recently renovated the pro shop, club house and fitness center.  They also reciprocate with Twin Creeks, River Place and The Dominion in SA.

I'm optimistic that I can play 2-3 times per week, so I feel like the value is there.  I'm also digging the fact that I can hit the fitness center in the morning and shower before going to the office.  Or hit the range for an hour at lunch.  With the recent boom in golf interest after the pandemic, tee times seem harder than ever to come by.  So, that's part of the allure as well.

I'll hang up and listen.  Thanks. 

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

Just keep in mind you'll probably shoot 95 next time out. 

I could use a lesson. 

I don't know how long I've been flipping the club, but nobody noticed it until this last guy.

I'm telling you, it's night and day. Before, my timing had to be perfect to hit a good shot. Now, my mishits are still decent shots, and they're straight. All due to a better position of my hands at impact.

I didn't hit a single fat shot. No tops into the creek that should never come into play. And I was hitting my driver yesterday 20-30 yards further than I normally do. I hit driver/wedge on a hole yesterday that typically is a very difficult hole for me. Had a 15-foot birdie putt.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/9/2021 at 11:14 PM, pops said:

Yeah,  but I'm not rated with Ceasars and i paid 250 a couple months ago at pebble... I'll be damned if I'm paying 469 for golf. 

How’d you pull off Pebble for 250? When I was there last, it was 495 or something if you stayed on property 

41 minutes ago, ocugolf said:

How’d you pull off Pebble for 250? When I was there last, it was 495 or something if you stayed on property 

Fuzzy math. My buddy's kid works there so he was comped and we split the fee. 

I'm headed to La Cantera next week.  Thoughts on whether to play the Palmer or Resort course?

I wasn’t a huge fan of the Palmer course TBH. I think it’s generally considered to be a better track but I think the resort course is a lot of fun.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/8/2021 at 7:03 AM, Bookman said:

It's funny you mention Jimmy Clay. When I lived in Austin (1994-2003) I'd regularly play Lions, Jimmy Clay, and Roy Kizer. When I was in law school I'd hit Hancock from time to time after class for a quick nine holes. My last "regular game" was in the early 2000's at Jimmy Clay. That was when I'd take my own shag bag to Jimmy Clay to practice pitch shots.

Loved all those courses. I understand they're thinking of getting rid of Hancock.

Anyway, I've been nostalgic lately and have been thinking of driving up from San Antonio to play them.

I've been having the same thoughts about the courses I used to play in Dallas all the time from 1988-2004.  I especially want to play Stephens Park in Oak Hill.  I'd like to revisit Tenison Park and Cedar Crest as well, since I played them a lot too.  I'm about 15 strokes better than I was back then, so it would probably be like playing a course for the first time.  

3 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

I've been having the same thoughts about the courses I used to play in Dallas all the time from 1988-2004.  I especially want to play Stephens Park in Oak Hill.  I'd like to revisit Tenison Park and Cedar Crest as well, since I played them a lot too.  I'm about 15 strokes better than I was back then, so it would probably be like playing a course for the first time.  

Oak Cliff, but yes you should play Stephens Park if you get the chance.  Lots of fun holes, some up and down, and beautiful views of downtown.

Tenison and Cedar Crest are also really good tracks; the only issue with all three is conditioning.  Greens at Cedar Crest get really slow and iffy during the summer (if they're not dead because the City of Dallas won't invest in water pumps to keep them alive), and the bunkers at both Tenison and Cedar Crest are...not great.  Generally conditions at Stephens are better than the other two.  Not sure if they spend more there on maintenance, but every time I've played SP since the redo the conditions have been excellent, comparable to private equity club conditions.

Oak Cliff, but yes you should play Stephens Park if you get the chance.  Lots of fun holes, some up and down, and beautiful views of downtown.
Tenison and Cedar Crest are also really good tracks; the only issue with all three is conditioning.  Greens at Cedar Crest get really slow and iffy during the summer (if they're not dead because the City of Dallas won't invest in water pumps to keep them alive), and the bunkers at both Tenison and Cedar Crest are...not great.  Generally conditions at Stephens are better than the other two.  Not sure if they spend more there on maintenance, but every time I've played SP since the redo the conditions have been excellent, comparable to private equity club conditions.

Thanks. SP would definitely be the primary one. I imagine whoever is with me won’t be as interested in the trips down memory lane, so TP and CC probably wouldn’t happen anyway.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the Palmer course TBH. I think it’s generally considered to be a better track but I think the resort course is a lot of fun.

This, for sure. Both are great tracks, but Palmer can be frustrating at times if you’re not on point, while Resort is forgiving and just flat out enjoyable

Played in a charity deal today. Plug in your scores on the Golf Genius app so you can see how you stand all day. We had the lowest score until the last group came in. They conveniently didn’t enter scores until the end. From the looks, the made hole in ones on 2 par 4s with no gimmicks and about 400 yards each. Unreal.

My granddad - who is almost 80 and has played thousands of rounds of golf - was driving the ball really consistently when we played on Saturday. On about the third to last hole - he hit another one right down the middle and turned to me and my brother and showed us his left hand on the grip of the driver and said "you couldn't get that out of my hand if you tried to". So on the last 2 holes I tightened my grip on my driver and ripped 2 right down the middle with perfect ball flights after struggling all day. 

Old man still has some knowledge to share every once in awhile. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ztejas said:

My granddad - who is almost 80 and has played thousands of rounds of golf - was driving the ball really consistently when we played on Saturday. On about the third to last hole - he hit another one right down the middle and turned to me and my brother and showed us his left hand on the grip of the driver and said "you couldn't get that out of my hand if you tried to". So on the last 2 holes I tightened my grip on my driver and ripped 2 right down the middle with perfect ball flights after struggling all day. 

Old man still has some knowledge to share every once in awhile. 

My Papa, who taught me how to play, could fix my swing in 5 minutes on the range.  No formal experience or training, but he built my swing and he knew what was wrong with it.  I, and my golf game miss him.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Bookman said:

"As for your grip pressure, keep it light. Arnold Palmer likes to grip the club tightly, but you are not Arnold Palmer."

- Harvey Penick

I think both are kind of correct. You need a firm grip (not squeeze) with the last 2-3 fingers of the left hand, but pretty relaxed with the rest. 

4 hours ago, Bookman said:

"As for your grip pressure, keep it light. Arnold Palmer likes to grip the club tightly, but you are not Arnold Palmer."

- Harvey Penick

Well... this is just one club in the bag and the one I am swinging by far the hardest. 

On 4/7/2021 at 1:25 PM, CoachTex said:

Not sure where to put this question but here goes. I'm trying to find a swing coach for my son. He will be a freshman in high school next year. Want to get him a few lessons over the summer to prepare him for high school golf. We are in the San Antonio area and trying to do this on a teacher's salary. Any suggestions are appreciated. 

Try Rob Meyers at R II M Golf. He used to teach at Silverhorn and has his own driving range now. 

I go to him and so does my daughter. He’s good. And they have discounts for juniors.

• Hook 'Em 1

Our course looks like shit. Such shit that membership is getting very loud about it. Greens are fine (just punched) but the winter kill, general neglect for bunkers and fairways, and absolutely sparse Bermuda rough I couldn’t take it anymore. I joined the greens and grounds committee. Last week was our first meeting and I’m already disheartened. The 3 guys on the committee that play every single day are already playing whack-a-mole with addressing a pots on the course they recently had a bad shot on. I’m worried that our course is toast for the year. 

7 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Our course looks like shit. Such shit that membership is getting very loud about it. Greens are fine (just punched) but the winter kill, general neglect for bunkers and fairways, and absolutely sparse Bermuda rough I couldn’t take it anymore. I joined the greens and grounds committee. Last week was our first meeting and I’m already disheartened. The 3 guys on the committee that play every single day are already playing whack-a-mole with addressing a pots on the course they recently had a bad shot on. I’m worried that our course is toast for the year. 

What did your super say?  No course is done for the year in April. 

Wow I hadn’t thought about Tenison Park since the late 80’s. My most vivid memory is playing on the course that was closest to I-30.

It was middle of August and cooking, hardly anyone on course. I was playing with a buddy and while on the fairway we heard a rustling in the bushes and this big black dude (no racist) came out wearing fatigues!

We were a bit nervous as he came out of the woods toward us then we spotted that he had two huge clear plastic bags full of golf balls.

He asked if we wanted to buy some balls and I was like “of course man, I’ll buy all you want” lulz. It must have left like Vietnam in the jungle