2021 Thread of 3 Putting

Jhawk

87 yesterday with 5 doubles and a triple. Two birdies on the front and 2 missed 5-7 foot birdie putts on the back. 5 GIR needs to go up a bit and putting needs to get a little bit better. Index down to 12.9. Gotta keep grinding. Have 18 rounds in so far. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/29/2021 at 5:58 PM, AngryDragon said:

How do you like the 311s? I picked up the 0211s and love them. First time playing pxg and I’ve been impressed(even thinking about picking up the st version). Scores have come down significantly but mainly due to practice and increase in playing frequency. 

I like them but not sure for someone my level, they are worth the price...especially the wedges. I am sure some people can tell the difference in the wedges but not me. I am a little weird about golf though.  This game is something I have put a ton of money and time into and still about an 18 on my course. 

Am currently in Myrtle after not playing a single round all year and it shows. Hit some balls a couple times leading up to it. 15mph winds. Round was all over the place. Easy first hole. Parred it and thought maybe it wouldn't be so bad. Then proceeded to go bogey, triple, triple, bogey, bogey, double, bogey, par for a 48. Kept my cool at the turn and went , bogey, bogey, bogey, birdie, birdie, birdie, double, bogey, bogey for a triple. Swings were loose early, then started tightening up before I ran out of gas coming in. We will see how today goes with the wind on the hardest course. Just trying to keep it in the 80's.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On 4/19/2021 at 6:23 AM, Steel Shank said:

Their greens have always been consistently good. Seems a lot of the other courses fared much better with their greens. Hope they can get it corrected. I really like the PC course.

#4 for reference. The worst on the course but there are probably 4 out of the 18 in bad condition

PXL_20210503_230458014.jpg

I like to walk on at Hancock because it's so fucking easy. It's cheap. The course is great shape. Greens are really nice. Great course to work on irons and hybrids. I'll hit different clubs off the tee to practice different clubs to the green. I know it's known as a course for beginners to play but fuck o'mighty.

Rant. We all sucked at golf at one time. Some of us still do. However, learn some fucking golf etiquette and don't be THAT fucking group. There are so many assholes there who play so fucking slow. Yes they are taking a million strokes per hole. But that doesn't mean it's ok for a group of 4 dudes all walk to each others balls to watch the one dude shank it 30 yards. Then they all walk to the next dude's ball 10 yards away and watch him shank it 30 yards, and again and again. This is like every 5th group. And then don't get all ragey when groups behind want to play through. 

I blame the marshal for not managing pace of play. Someone needs to tell them if the group in front is 2 holes ahead, then they need to play a little fucking faster. Or if the dudes behind are constantly standing on the tee box behind looking like this, they are too fucking slow.

D83zdsAWwAE8Eb2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

28 handicap checking in. Got a new driver recently and been hitting it much straighter and a bit further. But irons have turned to shit. Been thinning more often than not from 100 yards and in. Haven't really practiced at a range in a while so that's on my agenda for this week. Also wish I had somewhere convenient to practice bunker shots as both of my last two rounds I was in a greenside bunker that took me three shots to get out of.

101 at Mo Willy last week and 109 at Jimmy Clay on Sunday. Mind you, I play from the whites! Blowing up with a 9 on two different holes kinda hurt the score a bit on Sunday. Twice hit pull-shanks into water on my second shot! WTF

Jimmy Clay in very nice shape, although obviously was soaking wet after all the rain. Mo Willy greens a little rough with all the crabgrass or whatever.

8 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

28 handicap checking in. Got a new driver recently and been hitting it much straighter and a bit further. But irons have turned to shit. Been thinning more often than not from 100 yards and in. Haven't really practiced at a range in a while so that's on my agenda for this week. Also wish I had somewhere convenient to practice bunker shots as both of my last two rounds I was in a greenside bunker that took me three shots to get out of.

101 at Mo Willy last week and 109 at Jimmy Clay on Sunday. Mind you, I play from the whites! Blowing up with a 9 on two different holes kinda hurt the score a bit on Sunday. Twice hit pull-shanks into water on my second shot! WTF

Jimmy Clay in very nice shape, although obviously was soaking wet after all the rain. Mo Willy greens a little rough with all the crabgrass or whatever.

With your handicap and the new system the most strokes you can take is a net double bogey. So on a par 5 pick up after 8 strokes if you are popping. If you double pop pick up after 9. Will help manage the handicap and give you “incentive” to get better so you get to play a whole round. With the iron play, just have to swing easy with good tempo and practice a ton. Of course, this is all coming from a 12.9 handicap so take it with a grain of salt. I would get a few lessons though if you like the game. Improving in golf is one of the most satisfying things in life. Good luck!

3 hours ago, Jhawk said:

With your handicap and the new system the most strokes you can take is a net double bogey. So on a par 5 pick up after 8 strokes if you are popping. If you double pop pick up after 9. Will help manage the handicap and give you “incentive” to get better so you get to play a whole round. With the iron play, just have to swing easy with good tempo and practice a ton. Of course, this is all coming from a 12.9 handicap so take it with a grain of salt. I would get a few lessons though if you like the game. Improving in golf is one of the most satisfying things in life. Good luck!

I enter my score in an app (the grint) which gives me an official handicap. I would have thought it would take all that into account even if I enter a 9 or whatever? I just try to be pretty accurate whereas when I started I would give myself a few mulligans and such. Of course I have no real reason to have an official handicap, but I like keeping track of the stats and stuff.

But yeah I do need to get a few more lessons. Took 7 or 8 when I first started playing fall 2018-summer 2019. Definitely helped me get started to where I can at least play legitimately, if not well.

2 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Sandbagging?

I know right? I used to be a solid player, but as I said I did not play a single round last year. So my short game is so bad that when I miss greens on a tough course you can pencil me in for an automatic double........at least.

Have streamsong booked for first week of June.  Will be warm but need to get out.  Also was able to pull some strings and get on Concession the day before we leave.  5 days, 4 rounds.  I believe the tarpon are migrating through during that period as well... might have to catch a charter the last day before I get my ass home.  Thoughts?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/5/2021 at 10:24 AM, Thatguy said:

Day three and loose with the irons and short game. Someone tell me how this scorecard is possible....emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png695ce3eebfe4b1a0648abc216427704d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Lol that's how many of my scorecards look.

That’s exactly how my cards look. I’m guessing you hit about 4 greens. The maddening thing about that card is everyone you played with thinks you’re sandbagging the handicap because “you can make pars!!” But you can also hit 3 really bad shots on a hole and that’s why you’re a 12.9 index. My advice... pair up with a guy who is a 1-4 handicap and plays to it and get in a 2 man team event. You’ll do well

Played Torrey Pines this past Monday,  the course was in great shape.  Normal length rough, so that helped the score a bit.   Shot 91 from the 6,600 yard tees.

Greens are large, fast and undulating! They are slowly starting to build the grandstands for the US Open.

20210503_085906.jpg

20210503_093548.jpg

20210503_131014.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Best place to get some re-grips done in N. Austin/Cedar Park/Round Rock?

Also looking at some June Vegas golf, any thoughts on:

Reflection Bay

TPC Vegas

Bear's Best

Rio Secco

Bali Hai

We are also possibly looking at Paiute, hell of a deal for $185 for 36 holes, lunch, and rental clubs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Atxracer said:

Played Rio Secco and TPC and they are nice.  If you want to go baller style, Cascata is one of the nicest courses I have ever played.  

My wallet and skillset can unfortunately not justify Cascata, but it does look amazeballs.

Reflection Bay
TPC Vegas
Bear's Best
Rio Secco
Bali Hai
We are also possibly looking at Paiute, hell of a deal for $185 for 36 holes, lunch, and rental clubs. 

I always used Golfsmith RIP. When they went under, I started doing it myself. Much easier than anticipated.

I play the three Paiute courses every year and always enjoy them. Needless to say, that’s going to be a fucking oven for the second round in June and there is virtually no shade.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Hadn’t touched my clubs in 3 months. Went out with low expectations and shot 41/43. My back wanted to quit on me by the second nine. That’s probably the longest stretch I’ve gone without playing since picking up the game as a kid. Getting old sucks

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/7/2021 at 11:18 AM, Jhawk said:

That’s exactly how my cards look. I’m guessing you hit about 4 greens. The maddening thing about that card is everyone you played with thinks you’re sandbagging the handicap because “you can make pars!!” But you can also hit 3 really bad shots on a hole and that’s why you’re a 12.9 index. My advice... pair up with a guy who is a 1-4 handicap and plays to it and get in a 2 man team event. You’ll do well

Not exactly. Back when I shot scores like this consistently I was largely playing bogey golf with the occasional par or bird mixed in. After that I worked myself to a single digit handicap, then life got really busy. Just in the last few years I had surgery to repair a torn ACL and Meniscus together with an OATs procedure. Then Covid happened, plus my daughter got really busy with vball.

I went to Myrtle with 0 courses played since the last trip and 0 range work. I am a mechanical player so I can get away with some things. I open my stance to force myself to shorten my backswing when I wanna take yardage off of clubs. I hit cuts and draws with my feet and do not change my swing. But there are some things that you have to feel, and that 50 yard and in game is one of them. As one would expect, I wasn't striking my irons on the screws so I couldn't get close to pins. While I was hitting a lot of greens, I had long, low percentage puts, and couldn't make any birds. When I missed greens, not only could I NOT get up and down, but I had 0 feel at all. This was the Moorland course at Legends Resort in SC so greens were raised, crowned, and shaved so your score can balloon in a hurry. A pitch with too much on it and you are running off the backside. I pitch with not enough and it's back at your feet.

10 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Not exactly. Back when I shot scores like this consistently I was largely playing bogey golf with the occasional par or bird mixed in. After that I worked myself to a single digit handicap, then life got really busy. Just in the last few years I had surgery to repair a torn ACL and Meniscus together with an OATs procedure. Then Covid happened, plus my daughter got really busy with vball.

I went to Myrtle with 0 courses played since the last trip and 0 range work. I am a mechanical player so I can get away with some things. I open my stance to force myself to shorten my backswing when I wanna take yardage off of clubs. I hit cuts and draws with my feet and do not change my swing. But there are some things that you have to feel, and that 50 yard and in game is one of them. As one would expect, I wasn't striking my irons on the screws so I couldn't get close to pins. While I was hitting a lot of greens, I had long, low percentage puts, and couldn't make any birds. When I missed greens, not only could I NOT get up and down, but I had 0 feel at all. This was the Moorland course at Legends Resort in SC so greens were raised, crowned, and shaved so your score can balloon in a hurry. A pitch with too much on it and you are running off the backside. I pitch with not enough and it's back at your feet.

You just described me to a tee.  I had played sparingly growing up and in college.  After graduating and getting married, I had a good buddy become the head pro at a local course.  I started playing 3-4 times / week.  Got into the single digits.  Then kids happened.  Three of them.  I still played maybe twice a month.  Then, I made a huge career change, then I broke my arm, then my oldest got into select baseball.  But, I'm finally getting my business into a good spot, so I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a club membership.  I'm excited to be able to work consistently and enjoy the game again.  Right now, everything is "off".  I'll flash the occasional signs of competency, but nothing is comfortable.  Looking forward to working on my game and making it fun to compete again.

I’ll have streaks of 4 pars and a birdie and then double the rest of the way out. I mentioned Karsten Creek. Damn hard track according to my friends. It fit my eye. 88 with 6 pars, a birdie and an eagle. 

• Like 1

Reflection Bay
TPC Vegas
Bear's Best
Rio Secco
Bali Hai

I’ve played Bali Hai. Convenience is off the charts and I enjoyed the course.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/10/2021 at 1:33 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

You just described me to a tee.  I had played sparingly growing up and in college.  After graduating and getting married, I had a good buddy become the head pro at a local course.  I started playing 3-4 times / week.  Got into the single digits.  Then kids happened.  Three of them.  I still played maybe twice a month.  Then, I made a huge career change, then I broke my arm, then my oldest got into select baseball.  But, I'm finally getting my business into a good spot, so I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a club membership.  I'm excited to be able to work consistently and enjoy the game again.  Right now, everything is "off".  I'll flash the occasional signs of competency, but nothing is comfortable.  Looking forward to working on my game and making it fun to compete again.

I get it man. I overcooked a draw on a drive and ended up against the right trees on a dogleg left. Since my natural shot shape is a draw I tried to turn the corner with a 3wood and ended up hitting a tree and it bounced out into the fairway. 210 yards left for my 3rd and into the wind. Hybrid to 6 feet and birdied the hole.

Going back to The Prairie Club in Valentine, Nebraska. In the middle of absolute nowhere. Two great golf courses. Hardly any cell phone signal. Just three days of unbothered fun. Playing Wildhorse in Gothenburg on the way up and hopefully getting on Dismal River on the way home.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have told my business partner that I will never play those courses because of where they are. He being from Lincoln can’t understand why anyone would ever not want to be in Nebraska. Something about I don’t want to drive 8 hours after a round to play my next round doesn’t get thru to him. 

Question for the serious golfers.  I am not a serious golfer.  I play 3-4 times a year in charity tournaments, with a 4-man best ball format.  But I do OK, and enjoy it.  I played a lot in college and a for few years after that.

So, the question: If I wanted to play a round in Vegas in August, would I be able to get on and play by myself, or would I have to be paired up with other players?  I'll have time to kill while my wife is in a conference. 

I went on a guy's trip to Vegas in September 2002 or 2003.  We played early in the morning, and I don't remember a lot of other players out there, mainly because it was hot as shit.  I understand all the golf etiquette, but I like the idea of playing a round by myself. 

I can call and ask the courses, but I wondered if any of y'all might have any experience with that.

Question for the serious golfers.  I am not a serious golfer.  I play 3-4 times a year in charity tournaments, with a 4-man best ball format.  But I do OK, and enjoy it.  I played a lot in college and a for few years after that.

So, the question: If I wanted to play a round in Vegas in August, would I be able to get on and play by myself, or would I have to be paired up with other players?  I'll have time to kill while my wife is in a conference. 
I went on a guy's trip to Vegas in September 2002 or 2003.  We played early in the morning, and I don't remember a lot of other players out there, mainly because it was hot as shit.  I understand all the golf etiquette, but I like the idea of playing a round by myself. 
I can call and ask the courses, but I wondered if any of y'all might have any experience with that.

Try one of the online tee time services. Also, the concierge of your hotel can help.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I would say virtually zero chance you can’t go out by yourself if you will play weekday and/or afternoon.

Some tips would include playing a course with more than 18 holes, like Paiute. Also figure some options that allow online booking and start monitoring their tee sheets for the time and day youd wanna play. If there are lots of times available, you would be golden.

I definitely prefer playing solo to getting paired with strangers as well. Like strangers in a thing like a Surly meetup is great, but nahhhh to randos off the street.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 8:41 AM, miguelito said:

I’ve been playing a bunch of singles no problem, in fact it is easier to get on the course. Since we’ve been vaxxed the wife and I have been flying wherever about every other week. Online tee times are often thru ezlinksgolf, set up an account and start booking, be sure to set your search for 1 person, they will default to 2 or 4. You can also call, I got on Sand Hollow in Utah the day of, see previous page. 

Next week we are going to Scottsdale and I’m playing We-Ko-Pa and the Phoenician while my wife gets her spa time.

Also met some good dudes to play with.

On 5/15/2021 at 11:42 AM, TXSooner518 said:

I would say virtually zero chance you can’t go out by yourself if you will play weekday and/or afternoon.

Some tips would include playing a course with more than 18 holes, like Paiute. Also figure some options that allow online booking and start monitoring their tee sheets for the time and day youd wanna play. If there are lots of times available, you would be golden.

I definitely prefer playing solo to getting paired with strangers as well. Like strangers in a thing like a Surly meetup is great, but nahhhh to randos off the street.

BTW, wanted to clarify one thing as it could read like a "no shit" moment.  For example, my buddy and I are gonna play Wed, June 30 in Vegas. So I looked on Tue afternoons and Wed mornings for what courses tee sheets look like for that Wednesday. Theoretically, should be roughly similar on Wed the 30th as well.

I realized it could be read as to look at the actual date you were playing and see if it was wide open haha. That is a good strategy though if booking last minute rather than planned ahead. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got back from playing golf in Hot Springs Village for three days. Played Diamonte, DeSoto and Granada.

There isn’t a single level lie on any course in HSV. Beautiful but if you aren’t used to the course it’s impossible to get your yardages down or slope of greens.

Beautiful bent grass greens that were a joy to putt on. My buddy I’ve known since 3rd grade has been on the board at Diamonte and I think has the biggest house in HSV so I got the royal treatment.

He retired at 50 and is trying to get me to retire early up there. There’s just so many Olds, I don’t know if I could handle that. Anyway, Great Lakes and courses.

Pic of buddy’s house and one of Diamonte.

3e6733b9d9bb46bd6545a3f532940038.jpg

c204721230ce1299a185e8143f6ac574.jpg

• Like 1