2021 Thread of 3 Putting

Jhawk

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

IMO making a 60* part of your roadmap is less than ideal, much less trying to spin a 60*

If you routinely putt that well, transitioning that same feel to chips would be much more successful, much more quickly

Can you elaborate?  I carry a 50, 54, and 60.  Previously, I carried a 50, 53, and 57.  Felt like I could really do some things with the 57 in and out of the sand.  What I've never been able to do is spin a wedge from 10 yards off the green.  I know two people who can spin the ball so well they will chip from the fringe because they have a one hop forward 3' then a check and a roll out 6 more feet.  I feel like if I had that in my bag I could scramble my way around the course and be in the low 80s consistently.  Then I hit some greens and get even lower.  I feel like the short game is my next area of improvement but need to figure out how to make it work.

60* should probably not be in most of our bags., temping us to use it when much better plays exist. If I had a need elsewhere, it would EASILY be the first club I’d trade out. It’s a very unforgiving club that looks sexy when it works but is the first to screw you on days where your game is off.

I use it when I have to fly a bunker to a short side pin, or in a deep bunker or in one with a very near tight pin. That’s pretty much it, and those shots don’t happen too much.

In almost every other situation, you’ll be much more accurate with various other options, including
-putting with putter, hybrid or wood
-chipping w PW-6i
-pitching w SW (w more bounce than your 60* and obv less loft reducing risk of sliding under)
-pitching w LW or PW
Roughly in that order of preference, working your way down the list when earlier options aren’t possible. I’d have to rule out all these shots before grabbing that 60*

Add to this argument just how difficult it is to master that club… that’s a lot of time you could be investing elsewhere

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lurch said:

IMO making a 60* part of your roadmap is less than ideal, much less trying to spin a 60*

If you routinely putt that well, transitioning that same feel to chips would be much more successful, much more quickly

Agreed. Never had a 60 in the bag. Just don't see the point. It can be useful in certain situations but I'd rather pitch with a 58 or chip with a 54 or 50 or PW....or 6 iron whatever depending on the situation. 

Edited by pops

3 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Can you elaborate?  I carry a 50, 54, and 60.  Previously, I carried a 50, 53, and 57.  Felt like I could really do some things with the 57 in and out of the sand.  What I've never been able to do is spin a wedge from 10 yards off the green.  I know two people who can spin the ball so well they will chip from the fringe because they have a one hop forward 3' then a check and a roll out 6 more feet.  I feel like if I had that in my bag I could scramble my way around the course and be in the low 80s consistently.  Then I hit some greens and get even lower.  I feel like the short game is my next area of improvement but need to figure out how to make it work.

You can spin a 57 or 58 from 10 yards off the green but you have to open it up and be aggressive. Need club head for spin. 

Another shot I've found from that distance that works well is use your putter grip on your highest lofted wedge and never break your wrists. Just hit it with an exaggerated putting stroke. Just comes off high and dead,  but takes some practice. 

Another option... only from the rough is to take a full swing and decel like a mother fucker. Makes no sense but it will spin like crazy. 

Thank lurch. Makes sense. 

I’m at the point in my game where u have 2 club slots that should be for specific shots I feel like. For instance, my 3w is a 240-265 club (depending on tee or fairway) and my 4iron is a 205-210 club. I can think of 4 shots I need every round at my club that need to be 220. So I’m looking at a longer club to be able to get those ping par 3s or that eagle opportunity. I have a 3iron but it’s old and doesn’t fly like new clubs do. So that’s leaving the bag and maybe a hybrid is coming in. That will keep me at 14 in the bag. Alternatively, I could put my 57 back in the bag. One problem I do have out of bunkers is loft and trajectory. I don’t hit a high soft ball out of bunkers. Which is why I liked the idea of a 60, which is a new club btw.  Now I’m not so sure about the 60 but I’ll give it some good range time to give it a chance. 

So really, the question comes, do I forget about the long club and get another wedge in my bag? Do it get the long club and keep the 60? Do I get the long club and ditch the 60 and go back to a 57?

I’m guessing the problem out of the sand is your wedges lack the bounce you need. Maybe that 57* has it? Do you know the bounce of each?

I think you want to first establish your primary sand wedge, and 60* isn’t it. One you establish that, you can fill the gap logically between PW and it, then any long club gaps, then add in 60* if bag allows for it. Like mentioned, I do carry one myself, but it’s an exceptional club rather than a foundational one.

On 6/18/2021 at 10:15 AM, Jhawk said:

Thank lurch. Makes sense. 

I’m at the point in my game where u have 2 club slots that should be for specific shots I feel like. For instance, my 3w is a 240-265 club (depending on tee or fairway) and my 4iron is a 205-210 club. I can think of 4 shots I need every round at my club that need to be 220. So I’m looking at a longer club to be able to get those ping par 3s or that eagle opportunity. I have a 3iron but it’s old and doesn’t fly like new clubs do. So that’s leaving the bag and maybe a hybrid is coming in. That will keep me at 14 in the bag. Alternatively, I could put my 57 back in the bag. One problem I do have out of bunkers is loft and trajectory. I don’t hit a high soft ball out of bunkers. Which is why I liked the idea of a 60, which is a new club btw.  Now I’m not so sure about the 60 but I’ll give it some good range time to give it a chance. 

So really, the question comes, do I forget about the long club and get another wedge in my bag? Do it get the long club and keep the 60? Do I get the long club and ditch the 60 and go back to a 57?

I use 50/54/58. And if at all possible, get fit for the wedges somewhere off grass. I had no idea the proper bounce for my game was until I got fit. Life-changing. 

Thanks for the help all. I might ditch the 60 and go back to a 57/58. that being said, fitting for the hybrid went great and I snagged one. I’ll now carry a 4iron and a 4hybrid. Iron is a consistent 200-210 and the hybrid got me exactly what I was looking for in 215-225 with a landing angle of 47 degrees on average.

Also, wrapped up my weekend in kc with another “bad” 86. 6 doubles, 3 birdies, 4 pars. I am absolutely loving that. My path to improvement is very clear while I’ve learned how to score. Couldn’t be happier with my game. Headed back to Tulsa to roll in hot for a noon time with some rowdy buddies. Going to go win some cheddar. 

Swing change finally seems to have taken hold this week.

Member-Guest shot 76-74-37 (9hole final round). The first two rounds were 2 man shambles (both of our balls counted though) so probably a couple shots lower than fully on my own ball.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Flatso is what I use. Couple that with 70-100 putts a night on the perfect putting mat and I can’t fucking miss. I didn’t think it was possible to have more confidence in the greens than I did a few years ago but I would put my putting against anyone’s right now. 

also, thought my GIR would go down coming back to Tulsa where we have the smallest greens in the region. I hit 8 greens yesterday. Had 2 bad holes (par 5s) on the front for a 43 yesterday. Then was 3 over on the back thru 14 before hitting the dope. Finished +8 on the last 4 holes alone. 88 but that was because I didn’t have the mental patience to get thru the entire round and kinda just wanted to get fucked up. 

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Flatso is what I use. Couple that with 70-100 putts a night on the perfect putting mat and I can’t fucking miss. I didn’t think it was possible to have more confidence in the greens than I did a few years ago but I would put my putting against anyone’s right now. 

also, thought my GIR would go down coming back to Tulsa where we have the smallest greens in the region. I hit 8 greens yesterday. Had 2 bad holes (par 5s) on the front for a 43 yesterday. Then was 3 over on the back thru 14 before hitting the dope. Finished +8 on the last 4 holes alone. 88 but that was because I didn’t have the mental patience to get thru the entire round and kinda just wanted to get fucked up. 

I understand. All too well.

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

You weren’t in Tulsa yesterday.  You were in one of the last groups out at Torrey Pines.

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

2226cd40-d235-11eb-bfb9-a59ada467405

15 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Screw that. We all know the only true way to improve is to buy a new putter. To that end I ordered a TM Spider yesterday when I found out they offer personalized options. Went with the Gulf Oil racing livery look. 

6AD120BC-FC9A-4D67-A0C9-C7715C94C122.jpeg

951A988B-F298-46FD-8D65-5E14099429D8.jpeg

1EA9AA6A-E3E5-416F-A6FB-BBB7AD1A1ADA.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, brown water said:

Screw that. We all know the only true way to improve is to buy a new putter. To that end I ordered a TM Spider yesterday when I found out they offer personalized options. Went with the Gulf Oil racing livery look. 

6AD120BC-FC9A-4D67-A0C9-C7715C94C122.jpeg

951A988B-F298-46FD-8D65-5E14099429D8.jpeg

1EA9AA6A-E3E5-416F-A6FB-BBB7AD1A1ADA.jpeg

When your confidence is down spend money. Works 2% of the time for a short amount of time. I like it. 

Every time my grandfather had a bad round I ended up with a new piece of equipment, what that was depended on where the blame was assigned for the bad round.  It was a great deal until his swing speed really slowed down and the shafts no longer worked for me.

Had a gap between my G400 hybrids (4h and 3h) and my 6i. During fitting I was crushing the 6i and we felt it adequately covered the gap. However, on the course it’s always been uncomfortable trying to squeeze those extra 10-15 yards out of it when left with that gap distance. I just picked up a G425 (they don’t make G400 anymore, which sucks because I dig the crown) which is effectively a 5h (26*) and it feels/hits great and fits the gap perfectly. I’m even starting to consider grabbing the 6h (30*)

What’s the highest lofted hybrid you’ve played?

This 4hybrid is 23* and will be my first hybrid. I’m excited for it... that being said I grabbed the front 9 last night and my driver is now my best club in my bag that isn’t my putter and my putter is on absolute fire. I specifically ordered the 4hybrid to be able to attack the green on hole 3 and hole 7 on my second shot. Well you don’t need a 4hybrid on 3 when you hit a 330 yard buttery fucking cut from the tee. Was 200 out and barely missed my eagle putt from 40’. 7 was pretty much the same just didn’t hit the green. Shot a 40 on the front with a bad bad double bogey from 110 in the middle of the fairway. Grabbed the wrong club and then let it shake me and chunked the chip after being 10 yards short of the green.

I have a match tomorrow for our full season tourney and was playing with one of the guys we’ll be playing. He’s worried about my game and giving me 13 strokes. I’m still outpacing my handicap by a fair clip. The GHIN app said I played to a 4.1 index last night when I recorded the partial round. . I’m currently sitting at 11.0. I’m basically looking for any event in the area that is handicapped to get in right now. 

Edited by Jhawk

They have a word for people like you. 
sandbagger

a few years ago I was a member at lost creek and got paired with a guy in the match play tournament who had an 18 handicap cap at the start of the tournament and they didn’t adjust during the tournament. He was also over 70 so he got to tee off from the yellow, which on several holes was 150 in front of the whites. I was a 10 at the time, so giving him 4 a side. 

front nine I shot 37 and was down 3 holes. Was 3 over par after 15 when the match ended 4&3. 

the next week he played a buddy of mine. The 18 handicap was 2 under after 14 holes when their match ended. 

the fucker did have a heart attack a few months before the tournament, played a bunch of rounds when still weak and not able to hit the ball 100 yards and amazingly regained his strength when match play started. 

Hahaha the best defense I have against that accusation is that I have recorded 34 scores this year, many times on streaks of 4 days in a row of golf. Didn’t play much in May this year. I was called a sandbagger last year by a guy who had 6 rounds recorded for the year I had 50 recorded at the time and it was June 1. I asked the guy how much more he would like for me to play to get my handicap down then offered that he should maybe play more than 10 times a year. 

Really I’ve just had an epiphany about a month ago and my handicap just hasn’t caught up. I have 10 scores in June alone. I can’t play much more than this. My average round going into this month was 92.76. In June it’s 88.2 with what I would consider 4-6 really bad holes per round. If I keep playing 10 rounds a month I’m guessing I’ll be a 9.0 index by the end of September and then it’ll be hard to keep pace. 

I like that USAmTour ONLY uses tourney scores to establish your index. If you care that much to sandbag, you’re going to pay a premium to do it. That said, there was a guy back in the GCAmTour days in Texas that clearly did it. He played in the worst bracket (20+), would dominate them, miraculously struggle any time he was near getting moved up, then go dominate in the Nationals event at the end of the year.

On 6/22/2021 at 12:47 PM, Lurch said:

Had a gap between my G400 hybrids (4h and 3h) and my 6i. During fitting I was crushing the 6i and we felt it adequately covered the gap. However, on the course it’s always been uncomfortable trying to squeeze those extra 10-15 yards out of it when left with that gap distance. I just picked up a G425 (they don’t make G400 anymore, which sucks because I dig the crown) which is effectively a 5h (26*) and it feels/hits great and fits the gap perfectly. I’m even starting to consider grabbing the 6h (30*)

What’s the highest lofted hybrid you’ve played?

Not hybrid but I once grabbed a Callaway nine wood from pre pwned cause it was only about 20 bucks. Already had 1-3-5-7 woods but never liked the nine

3 hours ago, blacklab said:

They have a word for people like you. 
sandbagger

I don't play in hardly any competitive tournaments as I am not that good (16 on the GHIN) but I play in a neighborhood tournament once a year with about 20 of my neighbors.  It's match play Ryder Cup style so they try an pair people up to make it kind of fair.   The guy I got paired against last year hadn't participated in this tournament before and he said he was a 25 handicap and never plays golf.  I end up giving this guy strokes on a ton of holes and he goes out and shoots a 81 on a very difficult course.  Hits his drives about 300 yards and was chipping balls to within a foot of the cup out of the sand, 40 yards off the green, etc... draining 10 footers like it was nothing.  To say I was pissed would be an understatement.  Sandbaggers suck.

I don’t get sandbaggers honestly. You might win a match but you’ll torch your reputation and no one will play with you. 

Went out with a 38 tonight. Had everything going so instead of stopping at 9 I played 18 thinking this could be the round in the 70s for the first time. Shot 45 on the back with an 8 on 16. Was 7 over until that on a par 71. Finished triple, bogey, bogey on 16-17-18. 83. The nice thing is this was a practice round for me and my partner in our match tomorrow. He shot 84. We are getting 13 and 14 strokes which is good for 70-70. If he can play that way tomorrow we are going to smoke these two scratch golfers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Flying back from Pinehurst as we speak. I had only played two rounds of golf in the last 5 years. Something just got into me and I got the bug to play consistently again. I’ve been playing since I was 7 or 8 and played to an 11 in high school when I played all the time. But life and shit happened and I just hadn’t made time to play. Been going to the range and bought new Ping G410 driver, 3w and 3h last month after testing a bunch out  Ended up booking a 4 rounds in 3 days package at Pinehurst kind of on the spur of the moment last month. Played 2, 4, 8, and 9 in 3 days. 2 and 4 were incredible of course. I actually played decent at 4. 2 was rough because short game. If I had to do it over I’d have played 7 instead of 9, from what I gathered. 9 just didn’t do much for me. 

4 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

Flying back from Pinehurst as we speak. I had only played two rounds of golf in the last 5 years. Something just got into me and I got the bug to play consistently again. I’ve been playing since I was 7 or 8 and played to an 11 in high school when I played all the time. But life and shit happened and I just hadn’t made time to play. Been going to the range and bought new Ping G410 driver, 3w and 3h last month after testing a bunch out  Ended up booking a 4 rounds in 3 days package at Pinehurst kind of on the spur of the moment last month. Played 2, 4, 8, and 9 in 3 days. 2 and 4 were incredible of course. I actually played decent at 4. 2 was rough because short game. If I had to do it over I’d have played 7 instead of 9, from what I gathered. 9 just didn’t do much for me. 

We played 1, 2, 4, 8. I would never play 1 or 8 again. I think I’m going back in November or so. Going to do 2, 4, and then pop over to Tobacco Road I think. 

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

I wouldn’t pay to play #2 again. Most frustrating round of my life

Crazy that #2 is a 132 slope rating and #4 is a 134. It is abundantly easy to see why #2 is US Open caliber though. If you don’t water those greens twice a day they can roll a 13 and the landing zones are tiny. Otherwise the course is very fair in my opinion. But yeah... you get punished for hitting the green in the wrong spot. Something almost no other course in America will do to you. 

Crazy that #2 is a 132 slope rating and #4 is a 134. It is abundantly easy to see why #2 is US Open caliber though. If you don’t water those greens twice a day they can roll a 13 and the landing zones are tiny. Otherwise the course is very fair in my opinion. But yeah... you get punished for hitting the green in the wrong spot. Something almost no other course in America will do to you. 

There’s a guy at my club who made his name famous (“Regan”) for playing #2 and not making a par or better. He was a single digit handicapper.

Now if it takes you x number of holes before you make a par you are finally “off the Regan”.

CSB
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 months ago I purchase a new Mavrik Max driver with the stock Even Flow Riptide shaft. The stick was basically dead. Couldn't hit it worth shit, no distance and was slicing everything. I had put it away and went back to my old driver. 

I had an old 2004 Taylormade 580 driver that I used to smack 270-280. Loved the feeling of that driver except it wasn't very forgiving compared to the newer drivers. On a whim I thought I should change out that shaft to the Marvrik head. Had PGA Superstore pull the TM 580 shaft. Found a Callaway adapter head on ebay for $10. It's basically the OEM adapter. Can use the same OEM driver screw on that adapter. Put it on the TM shaft with a new grip. So $10 for the shaft pull, $10 for the adapter, and $10 for the new grip. Basically got a "new" shaft for $30.

Used it yesterday with the Mavrik Max head. HOLY SHIT what a difference it made. It was back to hitting 260-270 again. Only hit one fade in 10 drives. All other drives were straight. I've lost 10 yards due to old age. But damn, didn't think the shaft mattered that much but fuck yes it does. I know the TM 580 shaft is an Aldila shaft. 

7 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Shafts these days are probably 80% of a club fitting. You don’t realize that until you start seeing the numbers on a trackman.

what's funny is a 17 year old shaft is giving me much better results than a new MSRP $300ish shaft. 

i'm thinking about doing the same thing for my 3 wood. buying a cheap TM 580 driver, cutting down the shaft and using it on the 3 wood.

I putted off the green multiple times and lost count of how many chips rolled back to my feet. It was demoralizing

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

I putted off the green multiple times and lost count of how many chips rolled back to my feet. It was demoralizing

I would say I had a smooth 8 putt on #2 but I had to chip twice between putts. That short par 4 on the back number 13 I think. Was 3 feet above the hole on a right pin position. Ended up 20 feet off the green. Just brutal. 

Won a match today 2&1. Played like absolute shit shooting an 88 but made ever clutch putt I needed to so we stayed up 2 the entire match after hole 4 until 16. Then a clutch putt on 17 to win the match. Was a little hyped. My resting heartbeat is about 55-60. I was running 125 all match so was just swinging too hard. 

On 6/17/2021 at 7:01 PM, Lurch said:

I can attest to this. For years my 60* was the only club I pulled inside of 70 yards down to the fringe. I had a lot of comfort with it, but I was constantly leaving the ball short. For every holed chip there were many that never got close. After about the millionth 2 putt for bogie after leaving a long chip halfway to the hole I decided I needed to re-evaluate my short game thinking. I’m currently trying to find as many ways as possible to take the 60* out of my hands. 

It definitely has its place, and I’d never take it out of my bag, but it’s not for everywhere or everyone. 

Edited by heso