2021 Thread of 3 Putting

Jhawk

I can attest to this. For years my 60* was the only club I pulled inside of 70 yards down to the fringe. I had a lot of comfort with it, but I was constantly leaving the ball short. For every holed chip there were many that never got close. After about the millionth 2 putt for bogie after leaving a long chip halfway to the hole I decided I needed to re-evaluate my short game thinking. I’m currently trying to find as many ways as possible to take the 60* out of my hands. 
It definitely has its place, and I’d never take it out of my bag, but it’s not for everywhere or everyone. 

I think you have two options. You might try a 58 degree, I went to a 58 after doing a degree check of all my irons. I formerly played Callaway Apex irons. They are 2-3 stronger loft than say a pro’s blades are.

I found a large gap between my Apex gap wedge and my 56 degree sand wedge for that very reason. So I had my 56 bent to 54 and changed my 60 to a 58 and it closed that gap.

Imo, unless you’re around a single digit handicapper, I’m not convinced anyone needs a lob wedge. From what I’ve seen, there are more mistakes made with them than good shots pulled off with one. A sand wedge will do nicely for most people.

Secondly when I see that happening to people, I changed my philosophy to taking a longer club and shorten your swing. Swinging easier with more club is usually more accurate than pulling a hamstring trying to muscle F a lob wedge.

I carry a 58 and I love using it from 80 and in, including around the green. I always struggled trying to use different clubs for chipping around the green depending on how far I was, so I just close down the club face and let it run more if I need to. Every now and then I’ll use the 54 for chipping as well but predominantly it’s the 58.

Played gamble sands in Washington state last week. That's about as fun as you can have playing golf. Designer is the guy that did the first course at Bandon. It was just an absolute blast. It's in the middle of fucking nowhere and there is absolutely nothing to do unless you stay 35 minutes away in chelan (they do have 38 rooms on property) but man it should be in consideration for a guy trip for anyone. 

https://www.gamblesands.com/

• Like 2

Played like dogshit today. Got hammered though and scored a date with the 22 year old cart girl. Will report back tomorrow evening or Wednesday morning depending on how the date goes. 

Tapa must be borked. Your pics didn’t come through.

Played 36 holes at Paiute in Vegas last Wed. Great time! Got both rounds, lunch including a beer, rental clubs including two sleeves of balls, all for about $180.

Also had 3 birdies through 8 holes which is fun as a 25 haha. Had too many triples and quads alas. 96-105. 9db998a4e3e5d64c479e75e7c042f83a.jpg
c8bad1bf0d425aeae94a5f97e1a2cc8b.jpg
6ad1d6b9169402362c609fd176d10ccc.jpg
0e2e0a48d064ec73df0deb0d0b6c29e1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

On 7/5/2021 at 9:14 AM, Mileslong said:

I think you have two options. You might try a 58 degree, I went to a 58 after doing a degree check of all my irons. I formerly played Callaway Apex irons. They are 2-3 stronger loft than say a pro’s blades are.

I found a large gap between my Apex gap wedge and my 56 degree sand wedge for that very reason. So I had my 56 bent to 54 and changed my 60 to a 58 and it closed that gap.

Imo, unless you’re around a single digit handicapper, I’m not convinced anyone needs a lob wedge. From what I’ve seen, there are more mistakes made with them than good shots pulled off with one. A sand wedge will do nicely for most people.

Secondly when I see that happening to people, I changed my philosophy to taking a longer club and shorten your swing. Swinging easier with more club is usually more accurate than pulling a hamstring trying to muscle F a lob wedge.

I remember watching a Rick Shiels video where he played golf with a tour pro. Rick played well, missed his last put for an under par round. At the end of the video, he asked  the pro for tips and advice. The tour said that he was taking too many full swings with his wedges and suggested he play a longer wedge and do shorter, more controlled swings.

Sounded like great advice.

edit: found the video. Vid starts at the convo.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 1

Dilemma... one of my friends got a new shaft for his driver. Same head as mine (ping G410). I guess the shaft is regular flex but then stiffens in the downswing. Really weird feeling but after a few swings I got it down and gained about 15 yards on my drive. If it was 5 yards or so I’d chalk it up to better contact or something. But this was side by side, on the course, 2 balls off the tee comparables. The question is, do I buy one? It’s $800. This shaft would consistently put me around or just over 300 off the tee. 

21 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Dilemma... one of my friends got a new shaft for his driver. Same head as mine (ping G410). I guess the shaft is regular flex but then stiffens in the downswing. Really weird feeling but after a few swings I got it down and gained about 15 yards on my drive. If it was 5 yards or so I’d chalk it up to better contact or something. But this was side by side, on the course, 2 balls off the tee comparables. The question is, do I buy one? It’s $800. This shaft would consistently put me around or just over 300 off the tee. 

The autoflex. I've never hit one but watched the txg guys do a review on it.  Manufacturer has not disclosed the tech but supposedly it uses graphene or some other non-newtonian material to stiffen under load. Maybe.

There is like a 50 page thread on golfwrx where many think it is just a lightweight ladies flex shaft with a huge markup and the manufacturer is laughing all the way to the bank. 

Supposedly you have to really get the weight of the head dialed in but it sounds like it worked for you. 

What shaft is in your driver now? 

The autoflex. I've never hit one but watched the txg guys do a review on it.  Manufacturer has not disclosed the tech but supposedly it uses graphene or some other non-newtonian material to stiffen under load. Maybe.
There is like a 50 page thread on golfwrx where many think it is just a lightweight ladies flex shaft with a huge markup and the manufacturer is laughing all the way to the bank. 
Supposedly you have to really get the weight of the head dialed in but it sounds like it worked for you. 
What shaft is in your driver now? 

Yep, Adam Scott was using one for a while, it’s no ladies flex…

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

Yep, Adam Scott was using one for a while, it’s no ladies flex…

Bend profile would argue with that. But that's static,  not at load.

I would love to hit one and see what it's all about. They either really have the new secret sauce or are the best marketers in history. I'm guessing it is somewhere in the middle. 

Couples experimented with a ladies flex in his driver back in the day....

• Like 1

Bend profile would argue with that. But that's static,  not at load.
I would love to hit one and see what it's all about. They either really have the new secret sauce or are the best marketers in history. I'm guessing it is somewhere in the middle. 
Couples experimented with a ladies flex in his driver back in the day....

Yeah the couple was you and your wife!

13d12fba6870a45f326ebda5b44efb4c.gif
  • Haha 1

Just got back from a boys trip to Branson/Springfield. Played Payne’s Valley, Ozark National, Top of the Rock, and Hickory Hills in Springfield. Payne’s Valley is beautiful and in great shape but was pretty unimpressed with the layout. Ozark National has much more character. If you can get on Hickory Hills, it’s phenomenal. 

3 rounds this weekend. 87, 83, 83. I’m so close to 70s I can taste it. My first 83 was a 37/46 and second was 40/43 with 4 three putts. Still slamming the cart girl but the real key to my game is the Greg Norman straw hat I’ve been sporting for about 10 days. Thing doesn’t know how to not hit it in the fairway. 

41 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

3 rounds this weekend. 87, 83, 83. I’m so close to 70s I can taste it. My first 83 was a 37/46 and second was 40/43 with 4 three putts. Still slamming the cart girl but the real key to my game is the Greg Norman straw hat I’ve been sporting for about 10 days. Thing doesn’t know how to not hit it in the fairway. 

Combined 12 worse on the back 9, I think I found the cause.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Combined 12 worse on the back 9, I think I found the cause.

Club championship is next weekend. I’m coming in real hot. Index is at 10.0. If things go right I’ll exit the week as a single digit index with some pro shop credit and a second club tourney win on the year. 

Edited by Jhawk
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Quarry back 9 in the summer is miserable

Played there once at a customer event in August. Absolutely brutal. I called it playing in a frying pan. The holes that are below ground get zero wind and way over 100 degrees. In a scramble we hoped the first hitter put it in the fairway so we could skip 2-4 even trying a drive tp speed up the round

On 7/9/2021 at 9:14 AM, Jhawk said:

go get a proper fitting for the shaft. the shaft is much more important than the head / brand. 

shot 43 on back 9 last time out, again carrying a 26 course handi, so net 30. 7 bogeys, 2 pars, and could have been better, had one absurd hop into a water hazard, and had multiple spots getting down in 3 where I would get down in 2 more than half the time.  Gross 53 front, including 2 hosels and 2 missed 2.5 footers, but solid 96 after a triple-quad start. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

shot 43 on back 9 last time out, again carrying a 26 course handi, so net 30. 7 bogeys, 2 pars, and could have been better, had one absurd hop into a water hazard, and had multiple spots getting down in 3 where I would get down in 2 more than half the time.  Gross 53 front, including 2 hosels and 2 missed 2.5 footers, but solid 96 after a triple-quad start. 

Turn in your scores, you wont be a 26 for long...

Also once you get a handicap to a certain level you wont even be able to put a quad on your card.

On 7/13/2021 at 8:06 PM, TXSooner518 said:

Had course handi of 28 off a 24.6 today, and shot a 43 net 29 on front haha. 3 pars, 4 bogeys, 2 doubles. Greens were slow and wet, so I struggled, 19 putts on front. Played solo and knocked out front nine in an hour. Caught groups and it bogged down and lost my rhythm on the back, closed triple-triple for 52 and 95. Almost entirely an exact reversal of last round. Index dropped to 24.1 after logging it. 

Had course handi of 28 off a 24.6 today, and shot a 43 net 29 on front haha. 3 pars, 4 bogeys, 2 doubles. Greens were slow and wet, so I struggled, 19 putts on front. Played solo and knocked out front nine in an hour. Caught groups and it bogged down and lost my rhythm on the back, closed triple-triple for 52 and 95. Almost entirely an exact reversal of last round. Index dropped to 24.1 after logging it. 

No offense but if you’re shooting a 43 on a nine you are not a 24.6. If you are recording those scores your handicap should plummet.
  • Like 1

No offense but if you’re shooting a 43 on a nine you are not a 24.6. If you are recording those scores your handicap should plummet.

I’m recording. Shooting 95 on a par 70 isn’t moving the needle too much though. I also shot 38 on 9 as a 25 or so, that was a long time ago. My last four nines are 53-43-43-52. So if you get me on the 53-52 day you win easy and if you get me on the 43-43 day you think I’m a cheater.

Anyone played Canyon Springs in SA? I am doing the very foolish act of playing 36 with the 2nd round at the Quarry.

I have played it about a decade ago and enjoyed it. I’d rather play it second since afternoon on back nine on Quarry is brutal.
  • Like 1

Club championship flights are out. I’m the worst handicap in the 3rd flight. I’m liking that a lot given my handicap still hasn’t quite caught me and we play tees that are about 250 yards shorter than my usual. Going to hit the perfect putting mat for about 300 putts the next two nights and fucking bring home some hardware. LFG!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have played it about a decade ago and enjoyed it. I’d rather play it second since afternoon on back nine on Quarry is brutal.

Agreed, unfortunately it’s not my call.

Also, the slope/rating of courses you play factors in too.

Speaking of cheaters; Huge and I won a tournament when we were both 18 indexes. We were actually 18s but we ham-and-egged like sonnofa bitches. Everyone assumed we were cheating sandbaggers.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9.8 index this morning has me thinking I should go pro. 

I was there in spring 2020 when my club opened 9 holes at a time. I had a 35 and several mid to high 30 nine hole rounds. My handicap plummeted and I thought I would forever be a mid to low single digit index. By late 2020 I was back to an 11 index and I’m still there. It’s a cruel game.
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

Agreed, unfortunately it’s not my call.

Also, the slope/rating of courses you play factors in too.

Speaking of cheaters; Huge and I won a tournament when we were both 18 indexes. We were actually 18s but we ham-and-egged like sonnofa bitches. Everyone assumed we were cheating sandbaggers.

Yep. I've always been very inconsistent, which means I'm going to have some rounds where Steady Eddie will have no chance against me, and especially some nines. My career low (82) was directly preceded by a 106. I have a 38-55 to my credit.

Also, I literally have never used my handicap to directly gamble, it's solely about ego, so if I could drop 6 shots tomorrow, I'd definitely do it. I hate when my index goes up.  Here are my current last 20 scores with par in paren and slope/rating, without ESC adjustment:

Spoiler

95 (70); 68.8/129
96 (72); 69/118
105 (72); 68.7/121
96 (72); 68.8/111
89 (71); 68.1/116
103 (72); 70.3/126
106 (72); 69/127
103 (71); 70/117
101 (72); 69/118
102 (71); 68.1/116
103 (72); 69/124
99 (72); 69.6/127
93 (72); 67.4/120
100 (72); 69/124
95 (72); 68.2/110
97 (72); 67.4/120
105 (72); 70.4/125
93 (72); 67.2/113
105 (72); 67.4/120
113 (71); 67.4/110 - This round was in August 2020, and capped a 4 round shanks barrage. Before those rounds, I had a series of rounds where I would shoot mid-40s fronts and mid-50s backs with some hosels mixed in. Had the index down under 20 before those rounds. 

3 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Yep. I've always been very inconsistent, which means I'm going to have some rounds where Steady Eddie will have no chance against me, and especially some nines. My career low (82) was directly preceded by a 106. I have a 38-55 to my credit.

Also, I literally have never used my handicap to directly gamble, it's solely about ego, so if I could drop 6 shots tomorrow, I'd definitely do it. I hate when my index goes up.  Here are my current last 20 scores with par in paren and slope/rating, without ESC adjustment:

Hide contents

95 (70); 68.8/129
96 (72); 69/118
105 (72); 68.7/121
96 (72); 68.8/111
89 (71); 68.1/116
103 (72); 70.3/126
106 (72); 69/127
103 (71); 70/117
101 (72); 69/118
102 (71); 68.1/116
103 (72); 69/124
99 (72); 69.6/127
93 (72); 67.4/120
100 (72); 69/124
95 (72); 68.2/110
97 (72); 67.4/120
105 (72); 70.4/125
93 (72); 67.2/113
105 (72); 67.4/120
113 (71); 67.4/110 - This round was in August 2020, and capped a 4 round shanks barrage. Before those rounds, I had a series of rounds where I would shoot mid-40s fronts and mid-50s backs with some hosels mixed in. Had the index down under 20 before those rounds. 

The shitty thing in my mind is that as a guy who used to be there I have plenty of thoughts on what you need to do to stop scoring over 100 but I couldn’t tell you how to accomplish any of them. One day it just clicked for me. Then it clicked again this spring and I got to 80s. I guess the first thing I did was make sure I’m always looking at the ball. If you can’t be patient enough to have laser focus on the ball then you’ll never amount to anything in golf. 

I play with some good players and they hated my 19.7 index because it was rounds of 1 birdie. 3 pars. 6 bogeys and the rest double/triples. We play hammer so I’d win a ton of holes. 

48 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Do you mean through the swing? And yeah I was a 19 a year ago and that’s exactly the standard round for me ha. Hopefully I get where you’re at!

Yep. Don’t look up no matter what. In every swing. My putting got great when I said I’d 2 count after the putt was hit. This is the one thing I can say that will kill any shanks. You’ll always hit the ball and that’s basically step one to not being lazy on the course. Laziness always killed me. Then you worry about alignment which @Lurch really helped me with. Then I guess it’s about playing a ton and getting the right equipment. Once again, something just clicked for me when I changed to the midsize grips and I look at the course 100% different now. I don’t know why but I feel like I’m in my prime as a golfer and my handicap can’t keep up with my improvement. 

Btw... just realized I’m in a cart with a doc who is worth about $40M but he calls the clubhouse on Sunday when he’s going to be 30 minutes late for the brunch special so he can reserve a spot and get brunch for $8 a plate instead of $12. Should have a blast with him. Fuck. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jhawk said:

The shitty thing in my mind is that as a guy who used to be there I have plenty of thoughts on what you need to do to stop scoring over 100 but I couldn’t tell you how to accomplish any of them. One day it just clicked for me. Then it clicked again this spring and I got to 80s. I guess the first thing I did was make sure I’m always looking at the ball. If you can’t be patient enough to have laser focus on the ball then you’ll never amount to anything in golf. 

I play with some good players and they hated my 19.7 index because it was rounds of 1 birdie. 3 pars. 6 bogeys and the rest double/triples. We play hammer so I’d win a ton of holes. 

This is interesting.  I've hit some of my best drives while swinging and letting my head turn with my shoulders.  Helped me get to my left side.  Similarly there was a period of time when I (not unlike a former UT golfer currently in contention at the Open) would look at the hole on putts inside of 15 feet rather than the ball.

As he said, it's like a foul shot.  You don't look at the basketball when making the shot, you look at the target.

Anyway, whatever works for you is what works for you.  Don't be afraid to experiment.

Yeah, I was taught to be swing oriented rather than ball oriented. I actually avoid overly focusing on the ball teed up

I personally would not attempt to keep my head down post impact on a full swing. That would tend to incumber rotation I would have to believe. I don’t actively attempt to watch the ball taking off, but I certainly allow momentum to face me towards it.

That said, I do keep my head still post impact when putting where further rotation is irrelevant. That’s age old advice, like “listen for the ball dropping in the hole”

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

As he said, it's like a foul shot.  You don't look at the basketball when making the shot, you look at the target.

What? You don't look at the ball on any basketball shot. Not discounting the look at the cup advice but that's a stupid analogy. 

When it comes to putting I feel like you're either good or you aren't. If you're good you may change something here and there, if you're shitty you may try more extreme changes. 

Above anything else, like the rest of golf, it mostly comes down to reps and practicing the right way. 

What? You don't look at the ball on any basketball shot. Not discounting the look at the cup advice but that's a stupid analogy. 
When it comes to putting I feel like you're either good or you aren't. If you're good you may change something here and there, if you're shitty you may try more extreme changes. 
Above anything else, like the rest of golf, it mostly comes down to reps and practicing the right way. 

You’re stupid.

Just now, DDD Dad said:

You’re stupid.

Nice retort. Acting like a free throw is different than any other basketball shot is stupid. There's a reason why the best 3 point shooters tend to be phenomenal foul shooters and vice versa. Again - not knocking looking at the cup but that analogy makes zero sense. 

Nice retort. Acting like a free throw is different than any other basketball shot is stupid. There's a reason why the best 3 point shooters tend to be phenomenal foul shooters and vice versa. Again - not knocking looking at the cup but that analogy makes zero sense. 

Ok. Forget the free throw. You don’t look a the basketball when you’re shooting. You look at the target. Happy?