2021 Thread of 3 Putting

Jhawk

Alright... need an early November golf trip. Pinehurst is booked. Harbour town is cart path only in November. Waiting to hear from kiawah. Am sick of Scottsdale. 

Where would you head for a 3 round weekend where it is warm, easy to get to, good golf, and good surroundings for food and drinking? I’ll hang up and listen. 

Streamsong fits the bill

Never mind, I forgot you went there earlier this year

How about a Puerto Rico trip?

Alright... need an early November golf trip. Pinehurst is booked. Harbour town is cart path only in November. Waiting to hear from kiawah. Am sick of Scottsdale. 

Where would you head for a 3 round weekend where it is warm, easy to get to, good golf, and good surroundings for food and drinking? I’ll hang up and listen. 

Sea Island, Fallen Oak (Biloxi)

21 hours ago, gurt said:

I'm dancing with breaking 80...just can't put two good 9s together.  Have had 9s of 40, 39, and 38 recently, just coupled with mid 40s on the other half.  Tantalizing...

The most recent time I thought I was going to break 80 for the first time I started out even thru 6. Bogey the last 3 holes to clear the front at 39. Was feeling good tho making the turn. 3-putt the 10th hole from 8 feet for triple bogey and proceeded to card a 49 on the back. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

The most recent time I thought I was going to break 80 for the first time I started out even thru 6. Bogey the last 3 holes to clear the front at 39. Was feeling good tho making the turn. 3-putt the 10th hole from 8 feet for triple bogey and proceeded to card a 49 on the back. 

Golf.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/20/2021 at 8:39 AM, Jhawk said:

also, I’m clearly developing tennis elbow or something. Outside of my left, leading, elbow is in constant pain EXCEPT for when I swing a club. Thoughts on how to fix this without taking 3 weeks off?

Get one of those arm bands with the little pillow thing in it from Walgreens or wherever. Yeah,  they look silly but they are wizardry. 

You can also stand next to a wall and pin a baseball between your forearm and the wall and run the baseball along the muscles (I think it's inner arm for outside elbow pain, and vice versa).  Hurts like a fucker but you have to get the muscles to release.  

15 minutes ago, pops said:

Get one of those arm bands with the little pillow thing in it from Walgreens or wherever. Yeah,  they look silly but they are wizardry. 

You can also stand next to a wall and pin a baseball between your forearm and the wall and run the baseball along the muscles (I think it's inner arm for outside elbow pain, and vice versa).  Hurts like a fucker but you have to get the muscles to release.  

Taken about 10 days off and it's feeling better.  I've been doing some pressure point and flexing exercises I saw on youtube.  Also learned that a big part of the pain is blood flow.  Took a hard flat edge and scraped up and down the outside of my forearm until it was red.  That got the blood in the area and then started the stretching/rolling of the muscle.  Worked excellent.

Regarding the trip, looks like we're choosing between Sea Island, Puerto Rico, and then we have Scottsdale as a fall back if either of SI or PR doesn't work.

85 last night in a twilight round. Feel like I played bad which is awesome to feel bad and still shoot an 85. Only hit 2 greens. 24 putts. 8 fairways. Lot of confidence in my short game, putter, and driver (when I was off the fairway I was never in trouble). On hole 1, 2, 6 (par 3), 8, 10, 13, 18 I had a 9 iron or pitching wedge in my hand (130-145 out) and failed to hit the green. Need to hone in the short irons. 4 double bogeys, 4 pars, 2 birdies. 

Truthfully, I need to hone in all the irons As I had 2 7 iron shots way out on the toe. I also got to hit my hybrid on 2 holes that I bought it for and it performed exactly how I wanted. That’s a great feeling. Handicap down to 8.9. 

Crazy how this year has changed my game. Went thru my scores and my average going into June this year was 92.9. My last 20 now only has 3 scores in the 90s and my average is 86.3. I’m back on the course Friday and then my next match on Saturday. Then tossing in a Sunday round because that’s what I do. 46 rounds played by Monday. 

Edited by Jhawk
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 7/17/2021 at 7:39 AM, FigurelliPwC said:

Headed to Birmingham next weekend for a golf trip - 2 rounds at Farmlinks and 4 rounds on the RTJ golf trail.  Looking at playing Ross Bridge twice and then Oxmoor Valley - Ridge course and the short course (Valley course is under reconstruction).  Anyone been out there, have any tips or recommendations for Birmingham area in general?   

So back from last weekends trip to BHM.  They had 17 straight days of rain when we arrived, and 21 when we left.  Ultimately leading to hot and humid golf played mostly cart path only.  Overall the heat/humidity and getting no roll on drives made it pretty miserable golf-wise.

Day 1 was at Farmlinks - played the 2nd set of tees which was a mistake after seeing that my low line drives were not getting any roll.  Overall loved the course/layout, but muddy in parts and lots of walking in the terrible humidity soured it a bit.  Looking forward to playing it again in more normal conditions.

Day 2 was Oxmoor Valley - Ridge.  Played with 2 guys and we settled on the orange tees (3rd set) -  pretty similar story with balls plugging and hitting a lot of long iron approach shots.  Decent course, very hilly and very few level lies.  Next we played the short course - rained out after 3 holes.

Ended up playing the next three rounds at Ross Bridge.  Much of the same, but rounds 2 and 3 it started to dry out a bit and we played the whites which helped ease the pain.  Love this course, though the bent grass greens were beat to hell.  Why the f do people not fix their ball marks??  All in all I didn’t sniff breaking 80 (39 on back 9 of Ross Bridge was my best 9), and was over 90 4 of the 5 rounds.  I’m a 9 handicap.  

The next golf trip will require cooler weather…

On 8/1/2021 at 7:28 AM, 4th and 5 said:

Read the room.

We want to hear about your golf SCORE.

What’s the cart girl been up to lately?

That’s done. Don’t shit where you eat is the lesson. Everyone at the club knows what was going on so it’s all anyone wants to talk about and now I can’t get a drink on the course. 

4 hours ago, Jhawk said:

That’s done. Don’t shit where you eat is the lesson. Everyone at the club knows what was going on so it’s all anyone wants to talk about and now I can’t get a drink on the course. 

Or don't fuck where you golf.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Alright... discussion today about our office lease being up in Tulsa and possibly moving to the DFW area. Before a move is made by the company we are looking for a good private club to join, which will probably influence where we move the office to and where we reside personally. 

Can anyone speak to the clubs around the area that are good? Looking for a frat house type club personally. Not a goat ranch but a club with a membership that is active and has a good time together. A place where guys will show up to play cards, has a good mix of young and older members that get along well and mix well in the locker room and on the course. Not sure if this is the right place to solicit advice but if someone knows the area please shoot me a DM and offer up any advice possible. Thanks!

Time for new irons as I have broken one and lost another recently.  Looking 4 or 5-PW.

I'm usually around 10-12 handicap.  Hit my 7 160-165 with my Ping i20.  I got fit for them back in the day at Golf Galaxy.

Should I spend the $150 on Club Champion or just wing it again?

Agree. Get fitted for length lie and shaft flex. Those guys are far more experienced than most retail store reps most likely.

I’d be weary of actually ordering from them though given jhawks recent experience. They’ll give you the full specs so you can have them built anywhere.

Their justification is that they replace lower quality shafts with higher quality shafts fitted to you. They say that shaft manufactures sell batches of the most generic shafts to club manufacturers (who look to keep costs low), then they sell their superior products individually to consumers direct and fitters. I’ve not really looked into it, but it sounds plausible.

On 8/3/2021 at 5:33 PM, Lurch said:

Their justification is that they replace lower quality shafts with higher quality shafts fitted to you. They say that shaft manufactures sell batches of the most generic shafts to club manufacturers (who look to keep costs low), then they sell their superior products individually to consumers direct and fitters. I’ve not really looked into it, but it sounds plausible.

It's not. They are a scam company that can fuck off.  Pandemic has shown their ass. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 11:48 AM, huge said:

Time for new irons as I have broken one and lost another recently.  Looking 4 or 5-PW.

I'm usually around 10-12 handicap.  Hit my 7 160-165 with my Ping i20.  I got fit for them back in the day at Golf Galaxy.

Should I spend the $150 on Club Champion or just wing it again?

If you were fit for the i20s your specs should be roughly the same if you're looking at ping again. 

If not,  find a demo day near you where you can hit a bunch of stuff and see what you like. 

I'm anti club champion. Yes,  it's personal and anecdotal and a sample size of one,  but they can fuck off. I'd rather support a green grass shop than those idiots. 

Alright... discussion today about our office lease being up in Tulsa and possibly moving to the DFW area. Before a move is made by the company we are looking for a good private club to join, which will probably influence where we move the office to and where we reside personally. 

Can anyone speak to the clubs around the area that are good? Looking for a frat house type club personally. Not a goat ranch but a club with a membership that is active and has a good time together. A place where guys will show up to play cards, has a good mix of young and older members that get along well and mix well in the locker room and on the course. Not sure if this is the right place to solicit advice but if someone knows the area please shoot me a DM and offer up any advice possible. Thanks!

Most of the better clubs in DFW have pretty long wait lists these days (Lakewood for example Ia averaging 2 years just for social).

Happy to talk offline if you want.

Sooner Sandbagger at it again!  Felt like I was closing in on a breakthrough and obliterated my career best by 5 shots. Shot 77 (was at Mustang Creek, fairly easy par 70), went into today with a 24.1 index and 22 course handi (so smoooooth net 55 lol). Index dropped to 22.3 when I entered it. Week after next, I'm playing 6 rounds in 6 days, so presuming I can keep up the form, great chance to peel tons of strokes off the index.

Just really never fucked up. 8 bogeys, 9 pars, 1 birdie. One score over 5 on the card. Hilariously, I parred or birdied every hole (it's a 9 hole) today other than #2, which is the #18 handicap, and both times I made a one-putt bogey.  The second time was a real round saver, as I obv know where I stand after shooting 39 on front. I cold-topped my drive on 11 maybe 15 yards, pulled my 3w second into trees, tried to hit a 9i over a tree and clipped it and dropped down. So I'm hitting 4 out of rough under a tree about 85 yards out. I punch a 7i that rolls just on the front, then bury a 15 footer for bogey.  Next hole then stuff a 5 iron to 10 feet and make it for bird and back in the saddle.

Then, after the round, my Amazon Music auto-shuffled to Jason Isbell "If It Takes a Lifetime" which is a damn fun listen when you just went career by 5 shots to finally shoot in the 70s.

In summary, FUCK YES.

• Hook 'Em 2

New to this thread since the switch from TOS, but I'm fresh off a Bandon trip and I came by to say, if you haven't been go, and if you have been, you know you need to go back.

That place is like nothing I've ever seen ...

We had a group of 8 arriving 8/1.  We did some punchbowl putting that night.

The next morning, we did Pacific Dunes, ate lunch then played Bandon Dunes

8/3 we played Old Mac at 11am

8/4 we started at Sheep Ranch and ended the trip at Bandon Trails after lunch.

I'm a 19 index on GHIN and shot mid 90s on all my rounds.  (I know I don't really belong in this thread with a handi that high, but don't-care-had-golf)

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, BTW said:

New to this thread since the switch from TOS, but I'm fresh off a Bandon trip and I came by to say, if you haven't been go, and if you have been, you know you need to go back.

That place is like nothing I've ever seen ...

We had a group of 8 arriving 8/1.  We did some punchbowl putting that night.

The next morning, we did Pacific Dunes, ate lunch then played Bandon Dunes

8/3 we played Old Mac at 11am

8/4 we started at Sheep Ranch and ended the trip at Bandon Trails after lunch.

I'm a 19 index on GHIN and shot mid 90s on all my rounds.  (I know I don't really belong in this thread with a handi that high, but don't-care-had-golf)

Mid 90s for that index on those tracks, not bad at all.

2 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Yeah, I've always wanted to do Bandon, but figured I would get totally murked. 

The Bandon courses have been tweaked several times over the years, each tweak to make the courses more playable (i.e., to help reduce slow play and accommodate higher handicappers who make up a larger percentage of guests each year).

If you can spare the time and hassle of getting there I would highly encourage you to go.  I've been going nearly every year since 2005, and it's probably my favorite place on the planet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'll chime in.  A large part of my high handicap index, is the fact that I get into trouble off the tee and am often scrambling for bogey or worse.  At Bandon, I think I hit 10 fairways, on my worst driving round of the whole trip.  Not necessarily because my aim was better, but because in general, the fairways seemed to be quite large at the distances where a typical tee shot would land.

Have 3 rounds on the books this weekend at my home (Tulsa) course, The Patriot, and then shangri-La at grand lake on Sunday. That’ll get me to 50 even in the year. Need 5 more this month and then 10 in sept/oct to hit 75 on the year which is my goal. 

Patriot was pretty great. Nic to play on zoysia in OK. Had a new best hitting all but 2 fairways but still shot an 82. Didn’t make any birdies but had a ton of chances. Still need to hone in on getting closer to the pin and hitting more greens.

• Like 1