2021 Thread of 3 Putting

Jhawk

We have our club's two man tourney starting on Thursday.  It's 54 holes over three days of 2-man low ball.  The amount of rain we've had this summer (Midland) has made the gunch/native areas grow to ridiculous levels. Normally, if a shot goes out there, you have about a 50% chance of finding your ball and another 50% chance of having a swing if you do find it.  Now ... you have about a 5% chance of finding your ball and a 1% chance of having a swing if you do.  There are going to be some big ass numbers posted this weekend ... I'm looking forward to it.

35 minutes ago, BTW said:

We have our club's two man tourney starting on Thursday.  It's 54 holes over three days of 2-man low ball.  The amount of rain we've had this summer (Midland) has made the gunch/native areas grow to ridiculous levels. Normally, if a shot goes out there, you have about a 50% chance of finding your ball and another 50% chance of having a swing if you do find it.  Now ... you have about a 5% chance of finding your ball and a 1% chance of having a swing if you do.  There are going to be some big ass numbers posted this weekend ... I'm looking forward to it.

And a 10 percent chance of being bitten by a rattlesnake.

I've never gotten my handicap/ghin done.  Anyone have any advice on how to do it?  I've been saving all of my scorecards recently, but have no clue where to start.  I am playing in a tournament in two weekends and they emailed me asking what my handicap is.  

I've never gotten my handicap/ghin done.  Anyone have any advice on how to do it?  I've been saving all of my scorecards recently, but have no clue where to start.  I am playing in a tournament in two weekends and they emailed me asking what my handicap is.  

There used to be online calculators that take your scores and course ratings/slope and compute the index. I’m guessing there still are. If they absolutely need an official GHIN index call a local muny or other public course. They should accept your scorecards and give you an index. You might have to pay a small fee for the latter.

1 hour ago, Tex48 said:

most mobile phone golf apps calculate your handicap. in addition, they give VERY accurate yardage information, give clubs recommendations based on playing conditions, track scores, track/map shots, etc. if you are not using an app, you should be. great tool.

I use the grint app. Good gps yardages. I assume like most of the apps you can drag a point around the photo overlay to get distances to various features (ie. 230 yards to carry the fairway bunker, outside of the dogleg is 270, etc). Free and pay versions. Pay version gives you some more detailed stat tracking. 

You can add friends that use the app and see their rounds live in progress to talk shit when they make a double bogie. 

Edited by heso

On 8/26/2021 at 2:31 PM, heso said:

I use the grint app. Good gps yardages. I assume like most of the apps you can drag a point around the photo overlay to get distances to various features (ie. 230 yards to carry the fairway bunker, outside of the dogleg is 270, etc). Free and pay versions. Pay version gives you some more detailed stat tracking. 

You can add friends that use the app and see their rounds live in progress to talk shit when they make a double bogie. 

TheGrint also gets you an official handicap

On 8/26/2021 at 8:12 AM, huge said:

Welp, quoted Christmas for new set of irons if I want them custom.

So that's fun.

I was just fit Thursday for a new set:

TM SIM2’s. 3h, 4h, 5-pw, sw. Mitsi shafts, GP velvet grips.

Sim2 driver and 3-wood.

TM Spider X putter in copper.

Putter/driver/3-wood expected this week.

Rest expected by mid October at latest. Build date for the heads is Wednesday.

Still need to look at a gap and lob. Will be keeping notes once the sticks come in, I get a few rounds played, and find the yardage gaps. Then I’ll call the fitter and he’ll figure the loft(s) needed to fill in.

Replacing my old blades that I can’t shape shit with any longer. So went with something that should work better for me and let me get back to having fun.

Not in it for scores or tourneys any more. Just want to have something I hit well enough to have fun again the 3 or 4 times a month I get to play.

Should be able to get some rounds in through fall and before it gets too cold. 

The groove is gone. Played 4 rounds over the weekend. 87, 85, 85, 90. I always felt like I was scrambling and then decided to get drunk as hell the last round. August got too hot and I only played 2.5 rounds in a 3 week span. Need to get on the range and start making better contact with my irons. Also need to dial back the cut a bit off the tee because it became a slice which is what I was very worried about. Going to get some lessons this month and figure it out for a strong finish. 56 rounds so far this year. Need to pick up 9 more before the end of the month. 

My driver and irons cooled off considerably this weekend, but I took it up a notch around the greens and managed to card a 74 from the men's tees. That ties my best score from there. I got up and down for par on the first five holes, then three jacked the 6th after reaching with a beautiful driver/5W (tough par 4). On 7 I one hopped an 85 yard wedge shot off the back of the green and into a hazard after catching a flyer out of the first cut, and on 8 I straight up lost my tee shot in deep rough not more than three yards off of the fairway. I made my fair share of long and mid range putts, so I know it evens out, but then I lipped out birdie putts on the last four holes, two of which were in the expected-make range inside 10'. 

I credit my focus on short game practice over the last couple weeks instead of hitting balls on the range. I feel like I've had the chipping yips for a couple years but now I have my confidence back. Being able to chip and putt the ball in the hole feels like a goddamned super power, so I think for the rest of the year I will limit myself to only once a week lunch time range sessions with any other days I can practice focused on chipping or putting.

• Like 1

Not sure where else to post this, but has anyone here been to the Phoenix Open? A buddy is setting up a trip for next February, and I would love to go, but I don't drink, so is this tournament just a complete drunk fest, or still fun if you aren't drinking?

12 hours ago, JSB said:

Not sure where else to post this, but has anyone here been to the Phoenix Open? A buddy is setting up a trip for next February, and I would love to go, but I don't drink, so is this tournament just a complete drunk fest, or still fun if you aren't drinking?

I've been twice and fortunately both times I've had access to the waste management suite on 16. It's definitely crowded (highest attended stop on tour) Saturday being an absolute madhouse anywhere on the course.

The last year I attended Tiger was also playing and I think he was paired with Reed and Spieth, when that group came through on hole number three it was an absolute shitshow of a crowd following them as you could imagine. 

Otherwise unless you're near an entrance or 16 you can usually find a spot and have a good time without too much of a crowd. 

I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Edited by Grade of D as in David
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I've been twice and fortunately both times I've had access to the waste management suite on 16. It's definitely crowded (highest attended stop on tour) Saturday being an absolute madhouse anywhere on the course.

The last year I attended Tiger was also playing and I think he was paired with Reed and Spieth, when that group came through on hole number three it was an absolute shitshow of a crowd following them as you could imagine. 

Otherwise unless you're near an entrance or 16 you can usually find a spot and have a good time without too much of a crowd. 

I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Ok, we're in. Hotel and Greenskeeper package purchased. Now we just need airfare and a few tee-times for earlier in the week. I'm pretty excited.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, JSB said:

Ok, we're in. Hotel and Greenskeeper package purchased. Now we just need airfare and a few tee-times for earlier in the week. I'm pretty excited.

Thirded.  You're going to love it.  I went in 2012.  Only the Thursday round, but it was a blast.  16 is a must.  17 is an awesome hole as well.  See if you can get suite access.  It'll turn the experience up to 11.  

• 2 weeks later...

Reminds me of the time I was playing the second round at Star Ranch and we hit a massive backlog. Discover a bachelor party with a stripper was a few groups ahead of us. Eventually all of the groups between us passed them. When we caught up, they invited us to play through, but instead we made the executive decision to stay behind and enjoy the show.

Good times we’re had by all

/csb

Ran into a tournament in 90's at the course I belonged to in Mississippi. Playing a quick 18 and finishing near dinner and I notice on 18 that it's insane. People zooming all over and others running into fairway. Played anyhow and the second shot to the green had all sorts of crap with people yelling and carts whizzing by. Still consider the approach shot one of my best ever. Suddenly it dawned on the clowns that I was not in the tournament. A few apologies etc from the drunken masses. The real kicker was that this was the state District Attorney tournament and half of the legal talent was there. Semi seriously though of getting the state police to set up a DUI roadblock on the one highway back to town.

Looking for a little help in possibly finding an instructor.  I'm located in the middle of nowhere but basically 100 miles to Houston, San Antonio, and Austin.  Victoria is a bit closer.   

I've never had instruction before.  Just kind of tweaked my swing while playing to adjust for whatever was going on at that particular moment.   Stopped playing for a couple years and have started back up again.   Driver and short game/putting came back to me easily but I cannot hit an iron to save my life. Everything is fading/ slicing on me and no matter what, I just do not feel confident lining up or aiming.  Looking for someone to check out my swing a few times a year and give me some tips/drills to work on between sessions.  I'm happy to practice but just feel like I am floundering out there when I try now.  Not looking to be a scratch player but would like to hit some greens again and not be scrambling every hole.

Does anyone have someone they recommend preferably between the La Grange- Victoria / Bastrop-Katy area.  Will go further if needed or is this just something any old course pro can help with?

Edited by cab948

I know you have all been wondering but I ended up ordering new Pings.

In the meantime I bought a 7i and PW on ebay for $75 shipped.

Stay tuned for more fascinating updates like this:  I am playing in a tournament at Lakeside next month that is STABLEFORD!!!!!

• Haha 1

So, I am not a great golfer (15 handicap) and always trying to get a little better with anything other than practicing.  I just bought a pair of those Sqairz shoes.  The ones Nick Faldo hawks.  Anybody try these yet?  I will be breaking them in this weekend hopefully and maybe they will help my balance and stability when swinging.  Most likely they are a gimmick but they are comfortable so far walking around my house.

3 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So, I am not a great golfer (15 handicap) and always trying to get a little better with anything other than practicing.  I just bought a pair of those Sqairz shoes.  The ones Nick Faldo hawks.  Anybody try these yet?  I will be breaking them in this weekend hopefully and maybe they will help my balance and stability when swinging.  Most likely they are a gimmick but they are comfortable so far walking around my house.

Tie your left shoe in a double knot, flip your hat around backwards, and stick a tee behind your left ear

5 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

You need a golf watch.

On 9/22/2021 at 11:14 AM, huge said:

I know you have all been wondering but I ended up ordering new Pings.

In the meantime I bought a 7i and PW on ebay for $75 shipped.

Stay tuned for more fascinating updates like this:  I am playing in a tournament at Lakeside next month that is STABLEFORD!!!!!

this post ---> user name : checks out

Add these and maybe the course will give you a discount for aerating their greens

97aa1c033270852e04887222c976f5ce.jpg
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 10:11 AM, JSB said:

Barrett-jackson is that week as well. (Usually)  good distraction if you get sick of watching golf with the aroma of piss and vomit in the air.